Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P6
Bookmark and Share
everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
P6
Towards the end of the latest Cover 3 podcast Tom Frinelli (SP?) mentioned that it was inevitable that the AAC will be P6. I have always disagreed with this. Why isn't BYU, Boise and other MW teams eager to jump if this is the inevitable case? Aresco has lots of connections and they keep getting a team in the access bowl, so they do have that going for them. What do you all think? I can't help but think if they move to a 12 team playoff they could be a P6. If that is the case then hopefully there would be an auto-qualifier from the low-resource 4, otherwise we are all dunzo.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021 09:46 AM by everyone.)
06-10-2021 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: P6
(06-10-2021 09:44 AM)everyone Wrote:  Towards the end of the latest Cover 3 podcast Tom Frinelli (SP?) mentioned that it was inevitable that the AAC will be P6. I have always disagreed with this. Why isn't BYU, Boise and other MW teams eager to jump if this is the inevitable case? Aresco has lots of connections and they keep getting a team in the access bowl, so they do have that going for them. What do you all think? I can't help but think if they move to a 12 team playoff they could be a P6. If that is the case then hopefully there would be an auto-qualifier from the low-resource 4, otherwise we are all dunzo.

I think in BYU/AAC's case it's kind of the chicken/egg situation. BYU won't join a conference not on the same level as Utah so they won't join the AAC. But the AAC will be hard pressed to be an A5/6 league without BYU.
06-10-2021 09:50 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-10-2021 09:50 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 09:44 AM)everyone Wrote:  Towards the end of the latest Cover 3 podcast Tom Frinelli (SP?) mentioned that it was inevitable that the AAC will be P6. I have always disagreed with this. Why isn't BYU, Boise and other MW teams eager to jump if this is the inevitable case? Aresco has lots of connections and they keep getting a team in the access bowl, so they do have that going for them. What do you all think? I can't help but think if they move to a 12 team playoff they could be a P6. If that is the case then hopefully there would be an auto-qualifier from the low-resource 4, otherwise we are all dunzo.

I think in BYU/AAC's case it's kind of the chicken/egg situation. BYU won't join a conference not on the same level as Utah so they won't join the AAC. But the AAC will be hard pressed to be an A5/6 league without BYU.

The P5 wouldn't let them in even if they got USC and UCLA. It's just never gonna happen. Why in the world would you let another conference in to eat away at the money you get. Why would you want to feed 14 more mouths if you are already at the top of the food chain.

As I said earlier in another thread. Its more likely the top 25-30 schools push the rest of the P5 out before they feed 14 more mouths. The top schools would like nothing more than to get rid of schools like Vandy, Wake Forest, Washington State, WVU. Schools that have no chance of ever competing year in and year out for national championship in football.
06-10-2021 10:21 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
The P5 contractually exists because the three biggest bowls in the land had multi-million dollar deals with those conferences.

Rose has Big Ten and PAC.
Sugar has SEC and Big 12
Orange has ACC and highest rated from Norte Dame/SEC 2nd/Big12 2nd.

Until the Orange, Peach, Fiesta, or Cotton Bowl decide they want to ink a deal to lock the AAC champ into their bowl and thus guarantee them a NY6 slot, they won't be a Power football conference. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021 10:25 AM by CoachMaclid.)
06-10-2021 10:24 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2021 10:24 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  The P5 contractually exists because the three biggest bowls in the land had multi-million dollar deals with those conferences.

Sugar has SEC and Big 12

Until the Orange, Peach, Fiesta, or Cotton Bowl decide they want to ink a deal to lock the AAC champ into their bowl and thus guarantee them a NY6 slot, they won't be a Power football conference. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

What do they bring to the table.

No markets
Houston/SMU- Texas, Texas AM and even Texas Tech have Houston and Dallas covered
UCF/USF- Florida, Florida State. Miami all say HI in Orlando and Tampa Bay
Memphis- The Big Orange of Tennessee says we have that
Cincinnati- THE Ohio State dwarfs all of the programs in Ohio
Temple- Pitt and Penn State cover all of Pennsylvania
Tulsa- Oklahoma and Oklahoma State says no need
Tulane- The purple of LSU is everywhere in the state of Louisiana
ECU- North Carolina, North Carolina State and even South Carolina have Greenville covered
Navy- Maryland and Penn Ste to a degree are the only thing that matters in that area.

Do any of them bring prestige or academics to the fold. The biggest athletic accomplishment would be Andre Ware at Houston winning the Heisman. Even Phi Slamma Jamma didn't win a national title. And well the Heisman win was 32 years and 3 conferences ago.
06-10-2021 11:09 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

There's a decent possibility that down the road, a few AAC teams could move to P6 (e.g. Big XII). Perhaps among Cincy, Memphis, Houston, and the FL schools.

The whole conference en masse? Not gonna happen.
06-10-2021 11:18 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(06-10-2021 11:18 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

There's a decent possibility that down the road, a few AAC teams could move to P6 (e.g. Big XII). Perhaps among Cincy, Memphis, Houston, and the FL schools.

The whole conference en masse? Not gonna happen.

I don't think anyone moves up. The P5 might reshuffle, but only with teams that are already P5s. The schools in the AAC don't offer the P5 anything they don't already have.
06-10-2021 11:31 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
(06-10-2021 10:24 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  The P5 contractually exists because the three biggest bowls in the land had multi-million dollar deals with those conferences.

Sugar has SEC and Big 12

This is 100 on target. The fact that the AAC would have a permanent spot kind of helps CUSA and the rest of the G5 conferences. It means that the Gang of 5 bid would be open to the rest. Similar to when the Big East had a spot and the rest of us would duke it out for the other in the BCS.
06-10-2021 12:22 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(06-10-2021 11:09 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Sugar has SEC and Big 12

What do they bring to the table.

No markets
Houston/SMU- Texas, Texas AM and even Texas Tech have Houston and Dallas covered
UCF/USF- Florida, Florida State. Miami all say HI in Orlando and Tampa Bay
Memphis- The Big Orange of Tennessee says we have that
Cincinnati- THE Ohio State dwarfs all of the programs in Ohio
Temple- Pitt and Penn State cover all of Pennsylvania
Tulsa- Oklahoma and Oklahoma State says no need
Tulane- The purple of LSU is everywhere in the state of Louisiana
ECU- North Carolina, North Carolina State and even South Carolina have Greenville covered
Navy- Maryland and Penn Ste to a degree are the only thing that matters in that area.

Do any of them bring prestige or academics to the fold. The biggest athletic accomplishment would be Andre Ware at Houston winning the Heisman. Even Phi Slamma Jamma didn't win a national title. And well the Heisman win was 32 years and 3 conferences ago.
Lolz
06-10-2021 06:19 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2021 06:19 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Lolz

Laughing at your pwn conference. Like I said the biggest accomplishment of all those schools is Ware's Heisman. And if Adnre Ware played Houston's schedule today he wouldn't even sniff the thing:

Houston's 1989 schedule/Ware's Heisman Winning Campaign:
at UNLV 69-0
at Arizona State 36-7
Temple 65-7
Baylor 66-10
Texas AM 13-17
SMU 95-21
#13 Arkansas 39-45
TCU 55-10
Texas 47-9
#18 Texas Tech 40-24
Rice 64-0
06-10-2021 06:50 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
P5 exist because

1. two votes on NCAA business instead of one

2. $50+ million per year form the football playoffs existing

3. NY6 bowl guarantees (The Orange Bowl is the SEC SEC SEC or Big 10 2nd place not Big 12 2nd place)

on #1 who knows if the AAC will ever get two votes on NCAA business, but probably not

on #2 the AAC never owned one of the major bowl games and still does not thus they never contributed those bowl games to make the CFP happen.....thus there is no reason to compensate them as if they did

on #3 if ESPN (or anyone else) cared they could make a NY6 bowl and pay the AAC $27.5 million per year (what the ACC makes for The Orange Bowl vs the others making $40 for theirs except the 2nd from the Big 10 or SEC SEC SEC in The Orange Bowl makes what the ACC makes)......ESPN did not see fit to do that with the new 12 year contract they signed with the AAC and I doubt anyone else sees fit to do it

the above 3 in addition to P5 conferences getting about $20 million per year on average for their TV deals vs the $7 average for the new 12 year AAC deal......and TV deals are really now where the P and G come from they come from the 3 things above

I suppose if they were to get a guaranteed playoff spot they could make some claim to "P6", but you know the SEC SEC SEC is not voting for that so there is 2 no votes right there.....I can't imagine any G5 conference that is not the AAC would be dumb enough to vote for that so there is 4 no and 1 yes there

so out of 15 votes you have 6 no and 1 yes so far with 8 needed to seal the deal......so all 4 of the non-SEC SEC SEC P conferences have to vote for the AAC to get an auto playoff spot to make it happen......highly doubtful since there is nothing at all in it form any of them
06-10-2021 08:53 PM
Advertisement

everyone Offline
Special Teams

(06-10-2021 06:50 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Laughing at your pwn conference. Like I said the biggest accomplishment of all those schools is Ware's Heisman. And if Adnre Ware played Houston's schedule today he wouldn't even sniff the thing:

at UNLV 69-0
at Arizona State 36-7
Temple 65-7
Baylor 66-10
Texas AM 13-17
SMU 95-21
#13 Arkansas 39-45
TCU 55-10
Texas 47-9
#18 Texas Tech 40-24
Rice 64-0

Nothing but respect Herd but UCF and the like have pwned us. Yes USM or Marshall could compete on the field with any of them when we are at our best but they've done all they needed off the field to put themselves in a better position. Give credit where it is due. They've played the cartels game and found the scraps from the table.
06-10-2021 09:40 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I think this new deal makes it pretty much as if the AAC or MWC will almost always be the defecto #6. I just hope the rest of us don’t lose bowls as a result.
06-10-2021 09:43 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-10-2021 09:40 PM)everyone Wrote:  

at UNLV 69-0
at Arizona State 36-7
Temple 65-7
Baylor 66-10
Texas AM 13-17
SMU 95-21
#13 Arkansas 39-45
TCU 55-10
Texas 47-9
#18 Texas Tech 40-24
Rice 64-0

Nothing but respect Herd but UCF and the like have pwned us. Yes USM or Marshall could compete on the field with any of them when we are at our best but they've done all they needed off the field to put themselves in a better position. Give credit where it is due. They've played the cartels game and found the scraps from the table.

This! Meanwhile over in CUSA land.....

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5280277]
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2021 09:49 PM by HiddenDragon.)
06-10-2021 09:48 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies

at UNLV 69-0
at Arizona State 36-7
Temple 65-7
Baylor 66-10
Texas AM 13-17
SMU 95-21
#13 Arkansas 39-45
TCU 55-10
Texas 47-9
#18 Texas Tech 40-24
Rice 64-0

And they've received 20x the money with which to do it. Granted that grew together with their budgets. But the point is they have teams that are next to horrible with those advantages and we have teams that are often pretty darn good without them. Give a USM or Marshall or WKU or really any of us an extra 7 million dollars a year and it wouldn't take any time to be more competitive than 2/3 of their conference or more in multiple sports. We thrive on nothing, we'd excel on excess.

Makes Rice a headscratcher. They could theoretically buy anything they needed to reach the top and are in a recruiting hotbed. Is it just academic requirements that hold them back? I mean they could buy Nick Saban 10 times over with what's in their wallet and not even break a sweat. They could dominate the Houston market if the money was spent the right way. The right coach, the right kids getting a free Rice education, and the right community outreach to bring the city back into the fold. I'm kinda pissed they aren't carrying us all forward after writing that. Rice should be our flagship.
06-11-2021 04:18 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(06-11-2021 04:18 AM)MUther Wrote:  

at UNLV 69-0
at Arizona State 36-7
Temple 65-7
Baylor 66-10
Texas AM 13-17
SMU 95-21
#13 Arkansas 39-45
TCU 55-10
Texas 47-9
#18 Texas Tech 40-24
Rice 64-0

And they've received 20x the money with which to do it. Granted that grew together with their budgets. But the point is they have teams that are next to horrible with those advantages and we have teams that are often pretty darn good without them. Give a USM or Marshall or WKU or really any of us an extra 7 million dollars a year and it wouldn't take any time to be more competitive than 2/3 of their conference or more in multiple sports. We thrive on nothing, we'd excel on excess.

Makes Rice a headscratcher. They could theoretically buy anything they needed to reach the top and are in a recruiting hotbed. Is it just academic requirements that hold them back? I mean they could buy Nick Saban 10 times over with what's in their wallet and not even break a sweat. They could dominate the Houston market if the money was spent the right way. The right coach, the right kids getting a free Rice education, and the right community outreach to bring the city back into the fold. I'm kinda pissed they aren't carrying us all forward after writing that. Rice should be our flagship.

****! 01-ncaabbs
06-11-2021 07:34 AM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(06-11-2021 04:18 AM)MUther Wrote:  

at UNLV 69-0
at Arizona State 36-7
Temple 65-7
Baylor 66-10
Texas AM 13-17
SMU 95-21
#13 Arkansas 39-45
TCU 55-10
Texas 47-9
#18 Texas Tech 40-24
Rice 64-0

Rice is not really "loaded"

sure they have a big endowment, but $6 billion paying out 4.5% to 5% a year means $300 million per year

that sounds like a lot, but they have something like an 8 to 1 student to faculty ratio or a bit lower than that and while their tuition is high it is not near what come comparable or even lesser private schools charge and they have a generous financial aid package

if they wanted to "play with the big boys" then they would need about $100 million in athletics budget to even get started and that eats into a big chunk of that $300 million per year very quickly

and with only 7,300 students they could have to charge $3,835 in student fees just to generate $28 million in support for athletics from students which is right in line with the highest academic subsidies in CUSA for the public schools

true they could set that student fee in the tuition and not really even break it out as something for athletics because they are a private school and then take that attitude that "those that can afford the full tuition without any financial aid will be the only ones really paying it", but the reality is even with the $40,000+ in financial aid they provide to a lot of students there is still about $20,000+ that the student has to cover per year.....so you are slapping that athletics fee on pretty much everyone

I am sure Rice does use some of that endowment to cover athletics and I am sure there are some expenses that regular students cover.....but they are not in a position to just get out there and have a $100+ million athletics budget to compete with the P5 schools unless they really want to jack up tuition or they want to increase their student to faculty ratio and watch their research productivity decline with fewer faculty members and fewer facilities to support faculty research (that at a place like Rice probably generates a lot of undergrad research opportunities some of which might even be paid and a lot of paid graduate student research from grants and contracts)

academics pays the freight for Rice and there is no need to change that....it would be nice to see someone dump a ton of money on them and possibly a chunk of that for some athletics endowment, but as of now the last $300 million dropped on them went to Chemistry and Life Sciences and I am sure Rice and their students and faculty are very happy about that COGS02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 08:05 AM by TodgeRodge.)
06-11-2021 08:03 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
I try not to throw stones at other conferences that have been to more NY6 Bowls then my own. If they make it good for them. What separates a lot of programs is luck, and association with others. Tech has lacked both. Wife took son to football camp in Starkville last weekend. The noted the difference between Tech and Mississippi State was the 50+ million in SEC money every year and the home games with half the SEC West every year. Mississippi State is better than Tech because they were lucky enough to have been associated with the Alabamas, LSUs, and Tennessees of the world. It is what it is and unless we luck up like Wester Michigan did last week, that's not going to change for any of us.
06-11-2021 10:04 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2021 09:40 PM)everyone Wrote:  Nothing but respect Herd but UCF and the like have pwned us. Yes USM or Marshall could compete on the field with any of them when we are at our best but they've done all they needed off the field to put themselves in a better position. Give credit where it is due. They've played the cartels game and found the scraps from the table.

I didn't say a thing about UCF. I simply stated the "Biggest Accomplishment" any of the AAC schools have had. And the Heisman Trophy is the biggest. But again that was 32 years and 3 conferences ago when Houston regularly played Texas, Texas Tech and Texas AM. None of the AAC schools have a team National Championship in anything (And no UCF in 2017 doesn't count, just because they said so). Houston in the Phi Slamma Jamma days made it to 2 title games losing both in 1983 to NC State 54-52 and 1984 losing to Georgetown 84-75. Somehow the 1983 title game is remembered by everyone but the 1984 title game has to have everyone's memory jogged.

And you give Marshall or almost anyone in CUSA UCFs athletic budget and I can almost bet they would have more separation than UCF has had.
06-11-2021 10:29 AM
everyone Offline
Special Teams

(06-11-2021 10:04 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  I try not to throw stones at other conferences that have been to more NY6 Bowls then my own. If they make it good for them. What separates a lot of programs is luck, and association with others. Tech has lacked both. Wife took son to football camp in Starkville last weekend. The noted the difference between Tech and Mississippi State was the 50+ million in SEC money every year and the home games with half the SEC West every year. Mississippi State is better than Tech because they were lucky enough to have been associated with the Alabamas, LSUs, and Tennessees of the world. It is what it is and unless we luck up like Wester Michigan did last week, that's not going to change for any of us.

I don't think any of this is luck. Association does matter to an extent but look at Liberty or BYU. Just a big windfall of money isn't enough. You need the right leadership in place and the right timing. USM needs a windfall for a new bball arena, IPF and several sustained years of success to even have someone from another conference/playoff committee raise an eyebrow. Tech, Marshall, USM or UAB needs to breakthrough but realistically we will just keep beating up on each other at the same level of competition and getting the same level of talent/coaching. What App, ULALA and Coastal have done lately is great but not sustainable. Liberty has all the pieces in place to have a breakthrough.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 10:37 AM by everyone.)
06-11-2021 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.