Football Scoop is reporting Illinois fired Beckman
08-28-2015 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

I Root For: NIU
RE: Beckman Fired
(08-28-2015 01:20 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  Football Scoop is reporting Illinois fired Beckman

PJ, your table is ready.
08-28-2015 01:23 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
Terrible time to fire a head coach...season starts like tomorrow...
I bet $$$ they found abuse allegation true enough..
08-28-2015 01:24 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Wow, some stuff must have gone down to do a week before kickoff. One of the coordinators will replace then possibly PJ will be up to bat. Illness going down hard this year. Sorry, I am smiling.
08-28-2015 01:24 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

Bill Cubit to the rescue..

press release..

URBANA, Ill. – University of Illinois Director of Athletics Mike Thomas dismissed head football coach Tim Beckman on Friday, citing preliminary results of an external review into allegations involving the program.

Thomas said the timing is unfortunate with the season one week away. But based on preliminary findings, he said, it was in the best interests of student-athletes to act now rather than when a final report is issued and publicly released, which likely will occur during the season.

"The preliminary information external reviewers shared with me does not reflect our values or our commitment to the welfare of our student-athletes, and I've chosen to act accordingly," Thomas said. "During the review, we have asked people not to rush to judgment, but I now have enough information to make this decision in assessing the status and direction of the football program."

Thomas said he has met with players and staff to inform them of the decision and reiterated that the health and well-being of student-athletes is the top priority throughout the athletic department's 21 programs.

During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren't on the team.

"Both of those findings are unsettling violations of University policy and practice and do not reflect the culture that we wish to create in athletic programs for our young people," Thomas said. "I expect my coaches to protect players and foster their success on and off the field."

He said the review continues and a final report has not yet been issued. To date, more than 90 individuals have been interviewed by the Franczek Radelet law firm and 200,000 documents have been reviewed, along with a large volume of practice and game video from Beckman's three years as head coach.

Thomas said Bill Cubit, who joined the Illini coaching staff as offensive coordinator in 2013, has been named interim head coach for the 2015 season. The appointment will be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval at their September 10 meeting. Thomas said the external review did not indicate any findings related to Coach Cubit.

Beckman will not receive the $3.1 million remaining on the last two years of his original five-year contract or the $743,000 called for if his contract had been bought out.

Beckman's record in three years as head coach was 12-25 overall, 4-20 in Big Ten Conference games. He led Illinois to the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl in December 2014.
08-28-2015 01:28 PM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

Ohhhhh baby I can't wait for Boers and Bernstein to pick this up!
[/u]
W-I-N-T!!!!!
[u]
08-28-2015 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

Why am I laughing? This is not funny. Wait...yes it is.
08-28-2015 01:30 PM
GoNIU1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Cubit named interim coach
08-28-2015 01:30 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
(08-28-2015 01:24 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  Wow, some stuff must have gone down to do a week before kickoff. One of the coordinators will replace then possibly PJ will be up to bat. Illness going down hard this year. Sorry, I am smiling.

I am too, because Tim Beckman is no longer the coach of my football team.

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 01:32 PM by UIHuskie.)
08-28-2015 01:31 PM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

(08-28-2015 01:24 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  Wow, some stuff must have gone down to do a week before kickoff. One of the coordinators will replace then possibly PJ will be up to bat. Illness going down hard this year. Sorry, I am smiling.

I can already see PJ dressing in full Chief Illini gear galloping around at a pep rally...
08-28-2015 01:33 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren't on the team.

How bad might they have been if they hadn't done this?
08-28-2015 01:34 PM
Advertisement

calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
wow just heard, this is hilarious
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 01:53 PM by calvin12.)
08-28-2015 01:34 PM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

(08-28-2015 01:31 PM)UIHuskie Wrote:  

In all seriousness, I have lots of family and friends who are alums, and I'm enjoying them enjoying this moment. It was a terrible hire. Please don't hire PJ and do it all over again.
08-28-2015 01:35 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(08-28-2015 01:34 PM)calvin12 Wrote:  wow just head, this is hilarious

There had to some there there in that report. UI taking the hits. Better them then us. The AD has to be next. He fired Zook, Weber and the woman bball coach and that cost like $7M in buyouts. Now Beckman, although it says he was fired for cause so no buyout.
08-28-2015 01:37 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

This is what happens when you go to Toledo for your head coaching positions.
08-28-2015 01:38 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-28-2015 01:34 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
Quote:During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren't on the team.

How bad might they have been if they hadn't done this?

Here's one career that deserves to be over. Who'd want that near a football team.
08-28-2015 01:39 PM
Advertisement

cartershaw Offline
All American

(08-28-2015 01:37 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(08-28-2015 01:34 PM)calvin12 Wrote:  wow just head, this is hilarious

There had to some there there in that report. UI taking the hits. Better them then us. The AD has to be next. He fired Zook, Weber and the woman bball coach and that cost like $7M in buyouts. Now Beckman, although it says he was fired for cause so no buyout.

AD Mike Thomas did well at Cinci, by dipping into MAC, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones...
08-28-2015 01:40 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(08-28-2015 01:35 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  

In all seriousness, I have lots of family and friends who are alums, and I'm enjoying them enjoying this moment. It was a terrible hire. Please don't hire PJ and do it all over again.

I would not let this AD make the next hire. He has got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel
08-28-2015 01:40 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

The Illini have had some ridiculous revenue sport hires and a remarkable run of revenue sport mediocrity, but their overall athletic prowess is still pretty strong buoyed by baseball and Olympic sports.

For what that's worth.......
08-28-2015 01:41 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(08-28-2015 01:40 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(08-28-2015 01:35 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  

I would not let this AD make the next hire. He has got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel

In the last month or so, U of I has seen the Chancellor, Provost, and now Beckman either resign, or get fired. Thomas is likely next on the list. The only one of his 3 major coaching hires that has been okay is Groce, and even he's not wowing people at the moment.

In all honesty, Illinois may have a better HC now in Cubit than they did in Beckman. Cubit was okay at WMU, but had the misfortune of seeing LeFevour's CMU, & then Harnish/Lynch's NIU dominate the MAC in the years he was in Kalamazoo.

Finally, I think the only people who might be laughing at this more than us are the Toledo fans, because Beckman leaving meant they ended up with a better coach in Campbell.
08-28-2015 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.