WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coronavirus-realistic fear or hyped?
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU & UofM
RE: Coronavirus-realistic fear or hyped?
Due to lack of available testing we are well behind this. An account relayed From a Clark County NV physicians assistant. The Truth won’t come from the media or govmt agencies. It will be from the soldiers on the front line, PA’s, NPs ER docs, nurses, and techs. People need to listen to them not the BS coming from the 3 letter outlets.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/12393...99680.html

I just got off the phone with a PA who works in an urgent care clinic here in Clark County. The short of it — she's seeing a lot of folks with COVID-19 symptoms who are testing negative for everything else, but there aren't enough tests to go around to test them for COVID-19. 1/?

The first patient she screened positive for COVID-19 (meaning they have symptoms + travel history/known contact) was last Sunday. At that point, the protocol was to test for everything else, then transfer to local hospital by ambulance to get COVID-19 test done. 2/?
The patient didn't want to be transferred by ambulance, because of the cost associated. But the patient did get to the hospital and get tested. She said it's been seven days and the patient's COVID-19 test is still pending. He's been in quarantine the whole time waiting. 3/?
On her next shift, she starts seeing more and more patients screening positive. The protocol before was to call the health department for guidance, but she can't get through and leaves a voicemail. By Wednesday, they're not accepting voicemails even. 4/?
She says there's no way now urgent cares can transfer these patients by ambulance to hospitals, and her clinic is only getting 10 tests. They're also out of N95 masks. They're doing their best with surgical masks, gloves and hand washing. 5/?
"Now I'm looking back, I've had these patients for weeks, and I know that's what it is based on how sick they were," she said. "It's already here. It's been here for weeks. It's spreading like wildfire." 6/?
She knows she can't prove these patients are positive for COVID-19 — no one can without tests — but they're testing negative for everything else and are displaying the symptoms we know are consistent with COVID-19. 7/?
The group that she's seen that has been the hardest hit is men in their 40s to 60s. She says they seem fine one day and ten come down with pneumonia in a day or two. 8/?
Final thought on this from her: "At this point, we're not going to be able to stop it, but we need to slow down the spread." She's also written an open letter, if you want to read it. 9/9
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 07:39 AM by WMUlaxer97.)
03-16-2020 07:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I see a lot of hysteria even on this board about this virus. While I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic, the facts do not support the level of panic and hysteria being perpetrated by the media.

Consider this:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/CoronaVirusD...htag_click

As more cases and subsequently data becomes available, the death rate here in the U.S. (as a percentage of cases confirmed) is going down.
03-16-2020 03:24 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

Here are some perspectives that I doubt many of the visitors to this board have read or considered. Some of you may choose not to hear (read) these because they come from sources not compatible with their world view. That's OK. You can stay in your own bubble or consider alternative viewpoints with an open mind that are based on facts.

BTW, Trump never called the coronavirus a hoax.
Quote:Trump referred to the alleged “politicizing” of the coronavirus by Democrats as “their new hoax.” He did not refer to the coronavirus itself as a hoax. Throughout the speech, Trump reiterates his administration is taking the threat of the coronavirus seriously.

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/02/29/fac...ina-rally/

I Don’t Take The Wuhan Virus Seriously And CNN Is The Reason Why

What Makes The Wuhan Virus So Awful Is Most People Won’t Even Know They Have It And OMG Do You Idiots Hear Yourselves?!

Remember the H1N1 Pandemic? I Don’t Either

Life During the Pandemic (and afterwards)

Greening Our Way To Infection

Former top cop asks what if virus hysteria it to “destabilize the country”

The Coronavirus Hoax: Overhyped To Bring About More Tyranny

‘Lots of lessons here’: Prof. of Biology Carl T. Bergstrom takes panic-inducing coronavirus thread APART in amazing thread

Don't attack me - I'm just the messenger. If you have reactions and want to voice them here, make it about the substance of these articles (please note which you are reacting to) and not about the publication or blog.

Just some food for thought and some badly needed perspective on this pandemic. In the meantime, do what the authorities recommend to keep yourself and your families safe.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 03:55 PM by MileHighBronco.)
03-16-2020 03:49 PM
Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU Bronos
(03-16-2020 03:49 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Here are some perspectives that I doubt many of the visitors to this board have read or considered. Some of you may choose not to hear (read) these because they come from sources not compatible with their world view. That's OK. You can stay in your own bubble or consider alternative viewpoints with an open mind that are based on facts.

BTW, Trump never called the coronavirus a hoax.
Quote:Trump referred to the alleged “politicizing” of the coronavirus by Democrats as “their new hoax.” He did not refer to the coronavirus itself as a hoax. Throughout the speech, Trump reiterates his administration is taking the threat of the coronavirus seriously.

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/02/29/fac...ina-rally/

I Don’t Take The Wuhan Virus Seriously And CNN Is The Reason Why

What Makes The Wuhan Virus So Awful Is Most People Won’t Even Know They Have It And OMG Do You Idiots Hear Yourselves?!

Life During the Pandemic (and afterwards)

Greening Our Way To Infection

Former top cop asks what if virus hysteria it to “destabilize the country”

The Coronavirus Hoax: Overhyped To Bring About More Tyranny

‘Lots of lessons here’: Prof. of Biology Carl T. Bergstrom takes panic-inducing coronavirus thread APART in amazing thread

Don't attack me - I'm just the messenger. If you have reactions and want to voice them here, make it about the substance of these articles (please note which you are reacting to) and not about the publication or blog.

Just some food for thought and some badly needed perspective on this pandemic. In the meantime, do what the authorities recommend to keep yourself and your families safe.

I choose to reject sources with strong to extreme bias. The first source I pulled was the Washington Standard which has a strong bias to the right. Easy enough to check source bias.

That means not fact but fact spun into opinion. I make no apologies for rejecting either sources with either a strong or extreme right or left bias. Easy enough to find left-center or right-center source and perhaps 3 that unbiased.
03-16-2020 04:55 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

Fair enough. You choose not to hear other opinions because you assume they are biased in the opposite side from where you stand. I realize that many of the left won't bother, which is why I put that statement in my post. The one you rejected outright was by Ron Paul. While not my cup of tea, he had a good point - when people are really scared, they are more likely to accept drastic reductions of their rights, all in the name of overcoming the crisis.

I chose those particular sources because they all had something to offer that you WON'T see or hear in the MSM or on Facebook. The alphabet networks, NYT and WP and even PBS and NPR all sing from the same songbook.

We're all allowed to pick and choose what ideas we ingest.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 05:16 PM by MileHighBronco.)
03-16-2020 05:12 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2020 03:24 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I see a lot of hysteria even on this board about this virus. While I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic, the facts do not support the level of panic and hysteria being perpetrated by the media.

Consider this:

As more cases and subsequently data becomes available, the death rate here in the U.S. (as a percentage of cases confirmed) is going down.

You realize we are about to experience the same exponential growth that Europe has seen. Even IF the mortality rate is <1% we will still get a massive influx of patients requiring respiratory support. These patients will demand a lot of resources in ventilation, staffing to run vents in CRNAs and MDAs as well as basic care not to infect other patients. The reason why Italy is near 7% is because their system cannot support these patients and many are dying.

The facts are we are very early in this and many are blatantly disregarding what has occurred across Asia and Europe as if we are somehow immune. Is Italy just doing this for dramatic effect? Iran dug 2 100yd trenches in a cemetery visible from satellites, for what? Many on the front lines of this will get sick, some will die trying to treat others. If you think we’re playing an F’ing game I offer you to trade places with myself any of my colleagues or family and friends that are working in hospitals. It’s funny how you view some facts and opinions as hysteria but you have not refuted any of my posts and I’m on here daily with solid info.
03-16-2020 05:30 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2020 03:49 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Here are some perspectives that I doubt many of the visitors to this board have read or considered. Some of you may choose not to hear (read) these because they come from sources not compatible with their world view. That's OK. You can stay in your own bubble or consider alternative viewpoints with an open mind that are based on facts.

From above piece:
Cases in China have leveled off over the past several weeks, suggesting that we in the U.S. may see the same over the upcoming weeks to months.

Do you even know the lengths they went to slow the infections? You care to guess why we won’t get the same results as China? Because we have A-holes getting on planes and taking vacations. Going out shoulder to shoulder for St Patty’s day because we can. China locked down cities and immobilized people. We don’t have the intestinal fortitude to stay ahead of this and people will pay with their lives. It may not be the people who recklessly expose themselves and propagate it that may die. It’ll be nurses who spent their careers caring for others who will make the sacrifice. It’ll be guys working the cash registers at stores exposed to sick people out to buy toilet paper.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 05:55 PM by WMUlaxer97.)
03-16-2020 05:45 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RIP to everyone on this board. It has been an honor and a privilege. I've been posting on WMU message boards for nearly 20 years. You were all great friends.
03-16-2020 06:09 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(03-16-2020 05:30 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 03:24 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I see a lot of hysteria even on this board about this virus. While I'm not downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic, the facts do not support the level of panic and hysteria being perpetrated by the media.

Consider this:

You realize we are about to experience the same exponential growth that Europe has seen. Even IF the mortality rate is <1% we will still get a massive influx of patients requiring respiratory support. These patients will demand a lot of resources in ventilation, staffing to run vents in CRNAs and MDAs as well as basic care not to infect other patients. The reason why Italy is near 7% is because their system cannot support these patients and many are dying.

The facts are we are very early in this and many are blatantly disregarding what has occurred across Asia and Europe as if we are somehow immune. Is Italy just doing this for dramatic effect? Iran dug 2 100yd trenches in a cemetery visible from satellites, for what? Many on the front lines of this will get sick, some will die trying to treat others. If you think we’re playing an F’ing game I offer you to trade places with myself any of my colleagues or family and friends that are working in hospitals. It’s funny how you view some facts and opinions as hysteria but you have not refuted any of my posts and I’m on here daily with solid info.

Where did I say or even imply that this was a game? Re-read my post again.

Also, all viral infections spread exponentially. That word gets used by fear mongers a lot, probably because a lot of people don't understand it.

There are lots of factors. Europe's lack of borders is one. None of those countries has a healthcare system as advanced as the U.S. does. You speak with such certainty that we are going to see the exact same thing here as in Italy. NOBODY can predict the future. Not even you. Sure the number of cases will go up but let's not act like politicians and go right away to the worst case scenario (got to protect myself politically from being accused of not doing enough).

Dude, you're hysterical. Take a breath and calm down. I'm not here to refute your posts. Just to offer some perspective to counter the 'sky is falling' narrative. Are you a doctor? The article comparing this pandemic to the H1N1 pandemic was written by A DOCTOR.

One of the lessons of this pandemic is that the CDC needs to seriously re-assess their response to pandemics. They dropped the ball.
03-16-2020 06:10 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(03-16-2020 06:09 PM)Nacho Wrote:  RIP to everyone on this board. It has been an honor and a privilege. I've been posting on WMU message boards for nearly 20 years. You were all great friends.

None of us are getting out of this life alive anyway.........

04-cheers

If my number comes up, I've had a good run. Sayonara
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 06:13 PM by MileHighBronco.)
03-16-2020 06:12 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2020 06:10 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  

Consider this:

Also, all viral infections spread exponentially. That word gets used by fear mongers a lot, probably because a lot of people don't understand it.

There are lots of factors. Europe's lack of borders is one. None of those countries has a healthcare system as advanced as the U.S. does. You speak with such certainty that we are going to see the exact same thing here as in Italy. NOBODY can predict the future. Not even you. Sure the number of cases will go up but let's not act like politicians and go right away to the worst case scenario (got to protect myself politically from being accused of not doing enough).

Dude, you're hysterical. Take a breath and calm down. I'm not here to refute your posts. Just to offer some perspective to counter the 'sky is falling' narrative. Are you a doctor? The article comparing this pandemic to the H1N1 pandemic was written by A DOCTOR.

One of the lessons of this pandemic is that the CDC needs to seriously re-assess their response to pandemics. They dropped the ball.

I’m not a doctor but I work with them 5 days a week. Let me tell you what I found out today. The MD that came back from Jordan and Israel via France last week is now out sick. They tested him today for coronavirus and we’ll know his results in about 4 days. He sat next to me coughing last Monday. I spent Monday, Tuesday and Thursday in a control room being potentially exposed to the virus. I guess I shouldn’t care so much.

I also learned that the hospital I mainly support now has many potential infections, 3 confirmed just today and the number will be growing.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 06:27 PM by WMUlaxer97.)
03-16-2020 06:25 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

Consider this:

I know you are NOT a DOCTOR because now you’re spouting off at the ass. Not all viruses spread exponentially. MERS had an r(0) of 0.8 meaning for every 100 cases an additional 80 would be infected, therefore NOT an exponential increase.

You probably didn’t care to read this because it doesn’t fit your narrative.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-895168-post-16...id16706701
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 06:47 PM by WMUlaxer97.)
03-16-2020 06:46 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(03-16-2020 06:46 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  

Consider this:

I know you are NOT a DOCTOR because now you’re spouting off at the ass. Not all viruses spread exponentially. MERS had an r(0) of 0.8 meaning for every 100 cases an additional 80 would be infected, therefore NOT an exponential increase.

I had considered saying that "many" virii spread exponentially, since I'm not an expert. But I didn't. So sue me. Yes, I did read your post about R0 values.

I noticed that YOU didn't answer MY question. How about it?
03-16-2020 07:06 PM
Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

(03-16-2020 05:12 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Fair enough. You choose not to hear other opinions because you assume they are biased in the opposite side from where you stand. I realize that many of the left won't bother, which is why I put that statement in my post. The one you rejected outright was by Ron Paul. While not my cup of tea, he had a good point - when people are really scared, they are more likely to accept drastic reductions of their rights, all in the name of overcoming the crisis.

I chose those particular sources because they all had something to offer that you WON'T see or hear in the MSM or on Facebook. The alphabet networks, NYT and WP and even PBS and NPR all sing from the same songbook.

Reading comprehension matters. You missed that I reject extremes on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. Left and Right. I welcome opposing views that are backed by facts. I also never said whether I agreed or disagreed with your assessment. Only that I reject flawed sources when there are other source available that are much less flawed. Although I have a keen interest in what Justin Amash has to say, I have 0 interest in Rand Paul's views ... and I often disagree with Mr Amash but respect his carefully thought out opinions. Mr Paul may accidentally trip over the truth but purely by accident (only my opinion of course).

For the record, MSM is a flawed source. Who relies on FB for factual information? Fools? NYT, WP, PBS and NPR are all considered left-center and I would find them acceptable. Just as I find the Fiscal Times and The Hill, both right-center sources, acceptable. None of those are liberal nor considered liberal other than by right wing extremists.

No one here is likely to change anyone's opinion. However, for those of you relying on extreme ideologies please seek more neutral sources that don't fuel your ideologies. In time you may come to view the world differently.
03-16-2020 07:08 PM
Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

Norway’s Jab at ‘Poorly Developed’ U.S. Healthcare Is Terrifyingly Accurate

https://www.ccn.com/norways-jab-at-poorl...-accurate/
03-16-2020 07:21 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2020 07:06 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 06:46 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  

Consider this:

I had considered saying that "many" virii spread exponentially, since I'm not an expert. But I didn't. So sue me. Yes, I did read your post about R0 values.

I noticed that YOU didn't answer MY question. How about it?

Oh, your self important question, you didn’t say it was a game, there you go. Point for you. But if you comprehended my words, "If you think we’re playing an F’ing game" that addressed not what you said. But rather your mindset that this is some overblown political hot potato. We (healthcare providers) are in the middle of what’s going on day in and day out. We don’t have the luxury to try and place blame on politicians and media alike but to deal with what we’re staring down the barrel of.

But all this media driven panic isn’t stopping people from going on cruise ships, congregating for green beers.
03-16-2020 07:26 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(03-16-2020 07:08 PM)Aimless1 Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 05:12 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Fair enough. You choose not to hear other opinions because you assume they are biased in the opposite side from where you stand. I realize that many of the left won't bother, which is why I put that statement in my post. The one you rejected outright was by Ron Paul. While not my cup of tea, he had a good point - when people are really scared, they are more likely to accept drastic reductions of their rights, all in the name of overcoming the crisis.

Reading comprehension matters. You missed that I reject extremes on BOTH sides of the political spectrum. Left and Right. I welcome opposing views that are backed by facts. I also never said whether I agreed or disagreed with your assessment. Only that I reject flawed sources when there are other source available that are much less flawed. Although I have a keen interest in what Justin Amash has to say, I have 0 interest in Rand Paul's views ... and I often disagree with Mr Amash but respect his carefully thought out opinions. Mr Paul may accidentally trip over the truth but purely by accident (only my opinion of course).

For the record, MSM is a flawed source. Who relies on FB for factual information? Fools? NYT, WP, PBS and NPR are all considered left-center and I would find them acceptable. Just as I find the Fiscal Times and The Hill, both right-center sources, acceptable. None of those are liberal nor considered liberal other than by right wing extremists.

No one here is likely to change anyone's opinion. However, for those of you relying on extreme ideologies please seek more neutral sources that don't fuel your ideologies. In time you may come to view the world differently.

NYT and WP left center? REALLY? You consider them acceptable? The same NYT that had a writer visit Russia during the revolution who ignored the real story and praised them? The writer, Walter Duranty won a Pulitzer Prize for it and the Times later had to apologize for his falsehoods? That paper has a long, long history of writing nonsense. Occasionally they produce some actual journalism but it's rare.

Now I know where you sit.

I agree that nobody is likely to change their opinions. You are wedded to yours and your characterizations of anything not consistent with your world view as "extreme ideologies." I probably have a few years on you and none of the sources I regularly read "fuel my ideology." Life experience does that. I'm unlikely to change my views to what is popular among the "woke" - LOL

I included the legacy media because many old folks get their news from them. I included Fakebook because many youngsters get their news there. If you think that there are some centrist or more neutral sources that are giving us different opinions than we are hearing, how about linking to some of those articles or columns?

I linked to these items because they offered a different perspective - one that you've rejected without even giving them a read.

To each his own.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 07:39 PM by MileHighBronco.)
03-16-2020 07:27 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(03-16-2020 07:26 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  Oh, your self important question, you didn’t say it was a game, there you go. Point for you. But if you comprehended my words, "If you think we’re playing an F’ing game" that addressed not what you said. But rather your mindset that this is some overblown political hot potato. We (healthcare providers) are in the middle of what’s going on day in and day out. We don’t have the luxury to try and place blame on politicians and media alike but to deal with what we’re staring down the barrel of.

But all this media driven panic isn’t stopping people from going on cruise ships, congregating for green beers.

Are you always so condescending? Or is the stress of all this getting to you?

I appreciate all the health care providers in this country. This is not ABOUT YOU. This is about spreading hysteria and sowing panic. It's happening. Just because you are too busy dealing with the real effects of the crisis to pay attention doesn't mean it's not a thing. I'm not blaming you or healthcare professionals or expecting you to weigh in. You have a job to do and you are doing it. Bravo. Seriously.
03-16-2020 07:53 PM
Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

(03-16-2020 07:27 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 07:08 PM)Aimless1 Wrote:  

NYT and WP left center? REALLY? You consider them acceptable? The same NYT that had a writer visit Russia during the revolution who ignored the real story and praised them? The writer, Walter Duranty won a Pulitzer Prize for it and the Times later had to apologize for his falsehoods? That paper has a long, long history of writing nonsense. Occasionally they produce some actual journalism but it's rare.

Now I know where you sit.

I agree that nobody is likely to change their opinions. You are wedded to yours and your characterizations of anything not consistent with your world view as "extreme ideologies." I probably have a few years on you and none of the sources I regularly read "fuel my ideology." Life experience does that. I'm unlikely to change my views to what is popular among the "woke" - LOL

I included the legacy media because many old folks get their news from them. I included Fakebook because many youngsters get their news there. If you think that there are some centrist or more neutral sources that are giving us different opinions than we are hearing, how about linking to some of those articles or columns?

I linked to these items because they offered a different perspective - one that you've rejected without even giving them a read.

To each his own.

I think we can have a great time over a toddy or two. Can't speak to the age thing but I am retired .

I really don't care for a different opinion that is colored by someone's ideology. I won't link to a source, but if you're truly interested in unbiased reporting or as close to that ideal as you can get currently check out c-span, the christian science monitor and for news about Michigan look at Bridge Magazine. Washingtonian and Washington Daily Wire are liberal rags, certainly not NYT nor WP.

So who do you consider 'neutral' sources? After all, our sources either color our opinions or allow us to form our own.
03-16-2020 07:57 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(03-16-2020 07:53 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 07:26 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  Oh, your self important question, you didn’t say it was a game, there you go. Point for you. But if you comprehended my words, "If you think we’re playing an F’ing game" that addressed not what you said. But rather your mindset that this is some overblown political hot potato. We (healthcare providers) are in the middle of what’s going on day in and day out. We don’t have the luxury to try and place blame on politicians and media alike but to deal with what we’re staring down the barrel of.

Are you always so condescending? Or is the stress of all this getting to you?

I appreciate all the health care providers in this country. This is not ABOUT YOU. This is about spreading hysteria and sowing panic. It's happening. Just because you are too busy dealing with the real effects of the crisis to pay attention doesn't mean it's not a thing. I'm not blaming you or healthcare professionals or expecting you to weigh in. You have a job to do and you are doing it. Bravo. Seriously.

Where is this panic you’re speaking of? I see a hell of a lot of complacency. People are still not taking things seriously enough, I see anger that their lives are disrupted. Diseases don’t care about that. Maybe panic is a good motivator but we have tremendous apathy. I’ve proven the last month of paying plenty of attention on this very thread.
03-16-2020 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.