Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Chance of a Northern League forming?
Almost guaranteed
More than 33%
1 - 33 % - good idea
Almost nil
Incredibly stupid
[Show Results]

Will The Summit League be reformed as a Northern League??
NoDak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UND
Will The Summit League be reformed as a Northern League??
Its coming IMHO. The long held dream of the NoDak schools aligning with the Montana schools is coming. The Summit League can be in big trouble this week when the MVC announces new school (s). The Horizon and maybe the OVC also in turn backfill so the Summit loses its eastern wing. What does the Summit do? No reasonable schools will join a Dakota based league unless is was for hockey.

UND moves to the Summit next year and fb to the MVFC in 2020? Why the delay? Because it knows the MVFC won't exist in its present form and doesn't want it? The MVC has just been using Dakota fb as a cheap trick to fill out their schedules and doesn't want a permanent relationship, as the lack of MVC site visits have shown.

When the Summit cries out for new teams, Idaho will express interest with two conditions: the Montanas have to come aboard too and the conference must consider FBS in the future. The Montanas hem and haw but give preliminary interest. NDSU, SDSU and USD announce they are interested because what choice do they have? UND isn't interested unless it gets a new stadium. But surprise surprise as a donated one gets announced this summer. So UND is in.

EWU has to go in because those three neighboring schools mean much more for its athletics than the rest of the Big Sky.

So four new Summit schools are announced. But they have to play together two years before they get an FCS autobid. They play fb as a Division in the Big Sky for those two years and then break off.

The Old Summit
IPFW - to the Horizon League
IUPUI - to the Horizon or OVC or even the ASUN
W Ill - to the OVC
Omaha - can stay or the Horizon or even the WAC
ORU - back to the Southland or to the WAC out of choice
Denver - can stay
UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD - form the eastern wing of this new conference

Baseball has a problem, but the Horizon and MVC needs teams
Men's soccer has a problem too, but the same leagues plus the MAC provide affiliations spots

The Summit has always been a transient conference. This configuration would be almost guaranteed permanent for the fb schools as no other league tolerate their geography. The whole league applies for an FBS waiver in the early 2020's.

The Northern League or the Great Northern Conference or the American Outback Conference
UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
Omaha
Denver
Montana
Montana St
Idaho
EWU

Seattle and Weber St can join later

The Big Sky will survive with seven teams, but must start adding DII's like Dixie St and Azusa Pacific. The MVFC will survive as a rump league with Youngstown St.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 08:53 PM by NoDak.)
05-06-2017 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Kittonhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Will The Summit League be reformed as a Northern League??
I agree it would be a nice conference for everyone involved.
05-06-2017 08:28 PM
NoDak Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2017 08:28 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I agree it would be a nice conference for everyone involved.

All except the SD schools, who believe they are MVC material as UNI is a member. Some NDSU fans realized how mistaken their dreams were, even after spending almost $40 million their quonset hut bball court.

Denver would move on if it got a better offer.

This league would be comparable to the MAC in stability. Academically, on par with more professional schools. The schools already work together in some areas. Would be a good academic consortium for regional issues.

The league can't go the DII route for backfilling, as the transitions take too long.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 08:49 PM by NoDak.)
05-06-2017 08:40 PM
DavidSt Online
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
Through in some Minnesota schools, Northern Colorado, Ft. Hays State, Washburn, Missouri Western/UMKC and any of the Nebraska schools like Wayne State/Chadron State/Kearney.
05-06-2017 09:55 PM

dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
If Valparaiso is the only team leaving the Horizon League, I think that they will stay put with their current membership until a) a conference with football gives Youngstown State full membership, or b) Wright State has to cut its athletic department. The nine members that aren't Valparaiso include at least six in each of the team sports the Horizon League sponsors, and the NCAA check gets cut nine ways instead of ten. I also don't understand why Omaha can't be in your new league. It seems way more geographically and athletically appropriate there.
05-06-2017 10:20 PM
shizzle787 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UConn
It should happen with the Dakota schools, the Montana schools, the Idaho schools, and 1 or 2 more.
05-06-2017 11:00 PM
NoDak Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2017 09:55 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Through in some Minnesota schools, Northern Colorado, Ft. Hays State, Washburn, Missouri Western/UMKC and any of the Nebraska schools like Wayne State/Chadron State/Kearney.

Northern Colorado is possible but adding it would endanger the Big Sky. They don't have money the way it is and lack real donors.

The league isnt cosmopolitan enough for UMKC's tastes.

The DII schools can't transition in time and don't have enough fans or money.

Idaho's President will be credited with this idea, so the Vandal posse will be called off.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 11:12 PM by NoDak.)
05-06-2017 11:09 PM

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
i would think Sac St, No Ariz & Oral Roberts would be wary of travell up there with brutall weather
05-06-2017 11:11 PM
NoDak Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2017 11:11 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  i would think Sac St, No Ariz & Oral Roberts would be wary of travell up there with brutall weather

They have all made that clear so they can fend for themselves.

But it's just not travel there, which is long and expensive, but it's not what bigger and commuter schools aspire too. NAU and Sac St would rather pay Bakersfield and Cal Baptist than travel to the far north lightly populated areas.

Our fans are Nebraska-esque, just not so many. Its why we stayed in DII because no conference would give us a look. We used to be in a DII conference with UNI, but they abandoned us for W Ill and E Ill.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 11:30 PM by NoDak.)
05-06-2017 11:14 PM
chargeradio Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I could see Montana, Montana State, and Idaho moving if the Big Sky replaces North Dakota with a school that has a vastly different institutional profile. I don't know who would be a reasonable candidate to go to the Big Sky, but if that candidate is more like Southern Utah than Montana, then the Big Sky might be an eight-team league instead of a twelve-team league.

The other possibility I see is that if the Summit loses its three schools east of the Mississippi, then it really has no choice but to rebuild itself as a conference that sponsors football. Since I doubt any MVC schools would move themselves to the Summit League, the Big Sky and Southland are the only logical targets. Montana, Montana State, and Idaho would be easier to pick off, and would get the Summit to a 7/10 (no football at Denver, Omaha, or Oral Roberts). If Oral Roberts leaves then the Summit can add another Big Sky school like Northern Colorado or Eastern Washington.

If the Summit has to go south, it needs to land Central Arkansas, who at would have Oral Roberts nearby. I'm not sure who in Texas would jump, but landing two Texas schools would be crucial as to whether the expansion succeeds or fails. It would also make it easier for the Summit to expand to 12 by picking up a Louisiana school and UMKC, who would have several nearby rivals:

North Dakota/North Dakota State
South Dakota/South Dakota State
Omaha/Denver
Oral Roberts/Kansas City
Sam Houston State/Stephen F. Austin
Central Arkansas/Northwestern State
05-06-2017 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.