Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'23 Spring Game Observations
Bookmark and Share
OKIcat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
'23 Spring Game Observations
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it there today but the weather appears to be great and I'm curious for our Bearcat Banter experts to weigh in on:

- the "gameday" experience
-any returning players who stood out
-any new additions who appear to have the potential for a high impact.

I know it's hard to take much away from the spring game but curious what folks thought.

04-15-2023 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: '23 Spring Game Observations
Defensive line is the best position group by far. Defense looks to be in good shape, the transfer CB from UM played well, looks to be a good pickup. Defense will most likely keep them in all the games, and give them the chance to win.

Offensively, I think Jones has the early lead to be the qb, Bryant looked terrible. Prater didn’t participate. Lichtenberg and Hoying played well. Drogosh looks like the real deal, made some nice throws and plays. The big guy at TE will be a major part of the offense, targeted a lot. RB room looks stocked, good to see Wright back to where he should be. The group as a whole did well, #42 a transfer was running hard. Rest of backs really didn’t show much, Kiner did score on a short run. Looks like OL and wr groups are thin on depth. They really didn’t throw the ball deep very often, in most cases the defense caused it with pressure.

Other things, new kicker made all the kicks except for one that got blocked. No other special teams played.

04-15-2023 03:14 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I thought Jones looked decent at QB. I waited to see Drogosh and wasn't disappointed when he threw a nice td pass.
It would have been better if more fans came out on such a nice day.

UC did well with an on field reporter interviewing Sauce Gardner and Alec Pierce and some current players.

There was a nice kids area pregame.

We saw Newman, Tolentino, Skillings, , and Reed sitting together. They took a few pictures with some kids which was nice to see.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2023 03:26 PM by bearcatfan.)
04-15-2023 03:25 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
FWIW:

04-15-2023 05:39 PM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(04-15-2023 05:39 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  FWIW:

From what I saw, nope, and it wasn’t even close. Bryant had 1 nice pass for a TD on goal line offense where RB slipped out for uncontested TD. That was it - shoot, he fumbled on the first play, under pressure on a drop back. Bryant played like the bad version of last year - held onto the ball too long, late throws, bad reads, and played without confidence. Today’s qb play, I’d rank them Jones, Drogosh, tie Bryant and Lichtenberg, then Hoying.

Lot can change, I’m sure the offense was a set of basic plays and the defense is way ahead, but IMO he got outplayed by Jones and Drogosh fairly easily. Really disappointed that Prater didn’t play, really wanted to see if there was any progression of improvement.

04-15-2023 09:47 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Based on what I saw yesterday I agree. Bryant was tentative. I think he took advantage of knowing he wasn't going to get hit and held on to the ball too long. Both Jones and Drogosh ran a hurry up offense relatively well. Drogosh didn't even wear a green jersey and took off on a couple of running plays ang got hit/tackled.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2023 09:14 AM by bearcatfan.)
04-16-2023 09:13 AM
Advertisement

dave108 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincy
(04-16-2023 09:13 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Based on what I saw yesterday I agree. Bryant was tentative. I think he took advantage of knowing he wasn't going to get hit and held on to the ball too long. Both Jones and Drogosh ran a hurry up offense relatively well. Drogosh didn't even wear a green jersey and took off on a couple of running plays ang got hit/tackled.

i believe that Prater is / was being held out, due to injury.

i really hope that bryant doesn't start this year - he's reached his limit, and it ain't good

i love that drogosh did not wear green - love the competitive attitude.

04-16-2023 01:07 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I guess opinions vary. The guys over at BCJ who attended the game said none of the QB's separated themselves from the other yesterday. BB is not 100% yet, and Jones didn't have the green light to run. I don't think we'll get a true sense of who is outplaying who until fall camp. We'll probably see one of the 5 QB's enter the portal between now and then. I wouldn't be surprised to see a RB transfer out either.

Quote from CSS:

Quote:"There's also going to be a conversation of, 'Where do you see your future right now? Is it going to be a Bearcat or will you say I need to go play somewhere else?' Those are real conversations we have to have. We hate it."

He plans an open and honest dialogue with each player of where they see them. If a player doesn't see themselves as a fit, he'll help guide them to another team.

"I want guys that want to be here that want to be fully bought-in and help us win a Big 12 championship," Satterfield said. "It's a little bit of a nervous time for coaches."

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2023 01:33 PM by Cat-Man.)
04-16-2023 01:33 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Well this is a weird one given he was just about to take a starting spot...

04-16-2023 03:11 PM
OKIcat Online
Heisman

A future Wisconsin Badger perhaps?

04-16-2023 03:13 PM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
(04-16-2023 03:11 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Well this is a weird one given he was just about to take a starting spot...

Second LB to enter the portal. Wonder if we’ll be moving to a 4-2-5 defense as a base?

04-16-2023 04:04 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(04-16-2023 03:11 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Well this is a weird one given he was just about to take a starting spot...

I got the impression he wasn't going u start but still a big loss.

04-16-2023 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
It was neat that Sauce and Pierce were there. Had family in town in Columbus or i might have went.

04-17-2023 08:45 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Evidently Thomas had back surgery as I don't think he played this spring. The additions of Dorian Jones and Dan Gresziak surely were going to cut into his playing time, as I don't think he's even on the two deep right now before he announced. Those two new guys are going to make some noise. Gresziak reminds me of a more athletic Darrian Beavers. This defense should be very good. I was a little worried about the backend, but the University of Florida kid looks legit and the Az St. kid as well. I'd be surprised if we don't add another player or two their by summer. Ol was dinged up for Saturday, number of guys including Kendra and Mao were not playing. The offense looked more polished and organized Saturday than what I've seen in previous seasons. I think Satt is very hands on there. After watching Brown's defense get after us in Fenway, i'm not worried about that. This group of lb looks to be very, very good, and I think we know the kids up front will hold their own. Also agree, Brady D is my starter come next year, and depending on what transpires this year we may see him sooner. Surprise was Barry Jackson, true frosh at wr. Looks like he will also play immediately. Made some nice grabs. WR group as a hole was the biggest surprise. Some very nice plays.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2023 10:19 AM by dsquare.)
04-17-2023 10:17 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-17-2023 10:17 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Evidently Thomas had back surgery as I don't think he played this spring. The additions of Dorian Jones and Dan Gresziak surely were going to cut into his playing time, as I don't think he's even on the two deep right now before he announced. Those two new guys are going to make some noise. Gresziak reminds me of a more athletic Darrian Beavers. This defense should be very good. I was a little worried about the backend, but the University of Florida kid looks legit and the Az St. kid as well. I'd be surprised if we don't add another player or two their by summer. Ol was dinged up for Saturday, number of guys including Kendra and Mao were not playing. The offense looked more polished and organized Saturday than what I've seen in previous seasons. I think Satt is very hands on there. After watching Brown's defense get after us in Fenway, i'm not worried about that. This group of lb looks to be very, very good, and I think we know the kids up front will hold their own. Also agree, Brady D is my starter come next year, and depending on what transpires this year we may see him sooner. Surprise was Barry Jackson, true frosh at wr. Looks like he will also play immediately. Made some nice grabs. WR group as a hole was the biggest surprise. Some very nice plays.

We'll likely get a couple more WR's in this new portal cycle that started on 4/15. I've posted before we could use 3-4 more but I don't know the available scholarships versus needs at other positions.

As to QB, this will continue to play out until the season starts. Its actually a miracle Bryant participated this spring. He is still not 100%. Jones had the green shirt on as well and was not able to show what he can do with his feet. I agree with you Brady D. looked good; he's probably another year away or so in development. Therefore its going to be either Jones or Bryant this year IMHO.

The defense appears solid. Whatever happens this year I don't think teams will be blowing us out baring a bunch of TO's.

04-17-2023 10:40 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Brady D has the look of a fixture at qb for a few years based on where he is at now. Definitely a guy that looks to be a player to build around. Don't see a lot of guys his size who run that well.

04-17-2023 10:45 AM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
FULL DISCLAIMER: I AM 100% WITH COACH SATTERFIELD AND I HOPE HE TAKES US TO THE CFP NEXT SEASON

But,

ESPN televised Colorado's spring game today.

Just sayin'.

04-22-2023 05:20 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
What I said would happen with whomever hired him. Big influx of talent, booster support and lESPN seemingly having a sub-office on campus.

I mean, if you like that kind of thing...

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2023 08:09 PM by rath v2.0.)
04-22-2023 08:08 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

(04-15-2023 09:47 PM)FLIP Wrote:  
(04-15-2023 05:39 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  FWIW:

From what I saw, nope, and it wasn’t even close. Bryant had 1 nice pass for a TD on goal line offense where RB slipped out for uncontested TD. That was it - shoot, he fumbled on the first play, under pressure on a drop back. Bryant played like the bad version of last year - held onto the ball too long, late throws, bad reads, and played without confidence. Today’s qb play, I’d rank them Jones, Drogosh, tie Bryant and Lichtenberg, then Hoying.

Lot can change, I’m sure the offense was a set of basic plays and the defense is way ahead, but IMO he got outplayed by Jones and Drogosh fairly easily. Really disappointed that Prater didn’t play, really wanted to see if there was any progression of improvement.

I think the others have more upside, but Bryant throws a nice ball. I am really concerned if the transfer QB can hit open receivers. I like the added running dimension for sure.

04-23-2023 11:51 AM
ZCat Offline
1st String

(04-22-2023 08:08 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  What I said would happen with whomever hired him. Big influx of talent, booster support and lESPN seemingly having a sub-office on campus.

I mean, if you like that kind of thing...

It was way more than that. ESPN had an article on it. I think last year there were 2000 people at their Spring game. This year 45,000. And it was cold and snowy. They had Prime Time mic’d up. Just a crazy atmosphere. I really am surprised that many people would show up. Would our Spring game get 40K with Deion??

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2023 11:56 AM by ZCat.)
04-23-2023 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.