Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FSU - From over a decade ago…just change the date and the destination
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
FSU - From over a decade ago…just change the date and the destination
One of the things about being around for almost 19 years is, you start seeing things come back around.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/2012/6/30...#storyjump

This is where it was originally posted. A lot of the same complaints then that they have now

https://csnbbs.com/thread-576293.html

I notice some similarities between Louisville fans and FSU fans.

20 years ago Louisville fans were not going to ever be happy until they got a Big East invite. Tom Jurich once said that was the number one question he got from boosters. He said unbeknownst to the fans CUSA was trying to kick Louisville out when he took the Louisville job.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, and set me straight if I am, but from what I read on the Seminole message boards, FSU fans won’t be happy until they’re in The SEC.

It’s not about the money, it’s about the culture. Louisville fans understand that if no one else does. Even more so now being in The ACC
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023 11:21 AM by CardinalJim.)
03-16-2023 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
RE: FSU - From over a decade ago…just change the date and the destination
“Neinas told the expansion committee that all three media executives preferred a ten-team league but could support expansion to 11 or 12.“

Wow! The times have changed. Sounds like to me that the ACC got fed a spoonful of BS while the SEC and B1G were building their empire.

“As a contracting party ESPN has a fiduciary duty to the ACC and a fiduciary duty to the Big 12. If the Big 12 expands and weakens the ACC, ESPN is taking from one television partner and rewarding another. What's more, ESPN's television dollars provide the inducement that causes a team to leave.”

With a GoR and a large exit fee, ESPN is absolved of it’s “fiduciary duty”, no more incentive to stabilize a conference by keeping their payout competitive. The above quote did not age well because the SEC took OUT and both the SEC and BigXII are ESPN properties.
03-16-2023 11:16 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Great memory CJ to pull that up from 11 years ago.
It's possible that the threat of ACC legal action is the only thing that is keeping order.
03-16-2023 11:27 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
JMHO but I realize nobody cares what the FSU mindset is, but I'll offer anyway.

FSU would of been happy in the ACC but once the revenue showed that in the future, especially with NIL, you won't be winning national titles given the large revenue gap.

That said, the ACC's history of those that brought in the money seemed to have the least amount of power......almost polar opposite of every other conference. That did NOT make things easier for FSU. Other issues:

-John Swofford corruption and incompetence not only put up with, he got kudos.

-ACC officiating was god awful. FSU fans literally felt more comfortable with SEC refs when playing SEC schools than ACC refs. In basketball, the $ teams were protected, in football, they tried to even things out.

-Conference did not get nor care about football. FSU is a football school.....this just isn't a fit.

There are more minor issue, but FSU wanted the ACC to work, I think it really wanted that....but revenue situation has changed everything.

Side note, FSU also caused many (but not all) of it's issues. But none of them would have prevented what the revenue situation is causing either.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023 12:17 PM by nole.)
03-16-2023 12:16 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

The officiating has gotten better in football with Jim Phillips at the helm and it seemed to have gotten better the last 10 years in basketball (maybe the Karl Hess-NCSU incident was a catalyst for improvement?).

But yes, the officiating was so biased during that time it prompted FSU fan sites to keep a running tracker on how many times FSU was called for offensive holding vs their opponents being called for offensive holding. The fix was in.

I think it’s also apparent that ESPN was jerking the ACC around with their expansion advice.
03-16-2023 01:21 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(03-16-2023 12:16 PM)nole Wrote:  JMHO but I realize nobody cares what the FSU mindset is, but I'll offer anyway.

FSU would of been happy in the ACC but once the revenue showed that in the future, especially with NIL, you won't be winning national titles given the large revenue gap.

That said, the ACC's history of those that brought in the money seemed to have the least amount of power......almost polar opposite of every other conference. That did NOT make things easier for FSU. Other issues:

-John Swofford corruption and incompetence not only put up with, he got kudos.

-ACC officiating was god awful. FSU fans literally felt more comfortable with SEC refs when playing SEC schools than ACC refs. In basketball, the $ teams were protected, in football, they tried to even things out.

-Conference did not get nor care about football. FSU is a football school.....this just isn't a fit.

There are more minor issue, but FSU wanted the ACC to work, I think it really wanted that....but revenue situation has changed everything.

Side note, FSU also caused many (but not all) of it's issues. But none of them would have prevented what the revenue situation is causing either.

I can’t argue with any of your points.
Great Post
03-16-2023 04:08 PM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

(03-16-2023 01:21 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  The officiating has gotten better in football with Jim Phillips at the helm and it seemed to have gotten better the last 10 years in basketball (maybe the Karl Hess-NCSU incident was a catalyst for improvement?).

But yes, the officiating was so biased during that time it prompted FSU fan sites to keep a running tracker on how many times FSU was called for offensive holding vs their opponents being called for offensive holding. The fix was in.

I think it’s also apparent that ESPN was jerking the ACC around with their expansion advice.

I remember that. Basically they (local paper did an article on this or series) tried to do a reasoned review. In the end, they determined that Duke's OL.....which had ZERO NFL level OL talent rarely needed to hold FSU's DL....which was LOADED with NFL talent on the DL.

Also in reverse, FSU's OL talent which was NFL/Bluechip level, regularly got called holding against Duke's DL which has ZERO NFL talent.

Kind of threw your hands in there air on that.....I prefer no bias in officiating, but the fact that blue bloods got taken care of in bball and screwed in football was ironic given all the money is in football.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023 06:13 PM by nole.)
03-16-2023 06:06 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
I have found over the years that FSU graduates are terrible statisticians and have a difficult time with cause and effect. They treat football like a religion therefor they question nothing and accept all legends despite the empirical evidence.

1. The ***** and moan was over Wake Forest, not Duke. I remember it ad nauseam over several outlets.

2. Your losses to WF in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011 were treated as if Wake could only win if the officials made it so.

3. No one seemed to stop and ask, who did FSU lose off it's defensive coaching staff earlier in the decade or why had Mickey Andrews become less effective. No one seemed to understand that piss poor technique opens you up to calls against you when you play people smart enough to exploit your ego.

4. Every time you lost to NC State there was some element in the game that had gone against you ever time. 98, 2001. 2002, 2005, 2006, 2010, and 2011. It seemed never to dawn on anyone at FSU that Chuck Amato had jacked NC State up to play FSU and that FSU entered every game expecting NC State to roll over.

5. I took a look at the period between 1991 and 2013 and what I find with a strong correlation is that you had a difficult time winning winning out of conference P-5 games starting around 2002. ACC officiating was not causing your mounting losses to Georgia, Notre Dame, Louisville, USF, KY, Florida, and Oklahoma - that was you keeping a coaching staff a full 5 years longer than you should have.

6. While talent rich, FSU often played tactically stupid. You can do that when your talent is far superior to whom you are playing. But against a really smart team what you do is keep them in the game.

But I think this indicative of a way of thinking that is anti-intellectual and wrapped up in confirmation bias.
03-16-2023 07:12 PM
nole Offline
1st String

(03-16-2023 07:12 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  I have found over the years that FSU graduates are terrible statisticians and have a difficult time with cause and effect. They treat football like a religion therefor they question nothing and accept all legends despite the empirical evidence.

1. The ***** and moan was over Wake Forest, not Duke. I remember it ad nauseam over several outlets.

2. Your losses to WF in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011 were treated as if Wake could only win if the officials made it so.

3. No one seemed to stop and ask, who did FSU lose off it's defensive coaching staff earlier in the decade or why had Mickey Andrews become less effective. No one seemed to understand that piss poor technique opens you up to calls against you when you play people smart enough to exploit your ego.

4. Every time you lost to NC State there was some element in the game that had gone against you ever time. 98, 2001. 2002, 2005, 2006, 2010, and 2011. It seemed never to dawn on anyone at FSU that Chuck Amato had jacked NC State up to play FSU and that FSU entered every game expecting NC State to roll over.

5. I took a look at the period between 1991 and 2013 and what I find with a strong correlation is that you had a difficult time winning winning out of conference P-5 games starting around 2002. ACC officiating was not causing your mounting losses to Georgia, Notre Dame, Louisville, USF, KY, Florida, and Oklahoma - that was you keeping a coaching staff a full 5 years longer than you should have.

6. While talent rich, FSU often played tactically stupid. You can do that when your talent is far superior to whom you are playing. But against a really smart team what you do is keep them in the game.

But I think this indicative of a way of thinking that is anti-intellectual and wrapped up in confirmation bias.

Regarding:

1-Incorrect. The article done by Cory Clark and Tallahassee Democrat involved Duke/FSU research. You are confusing that from the FSU/Wake incident on Youtube where the ref can clearly seen being moving the ball in a spot.

The rest of your post is an extremely emotional rant that doesn't have anything to do with the only issue FSU has that is not solvable in the acc. Revenue gap.

It's just how the money adds up, it isn't emotional, it isn't personal. I wouldn't let it hurt you so much.
03-16-2023 09:00 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

Only Florida State can divine a refereeing conspiracy against them while playing a school that has no wins against them. http://www.winsipedia.com/games/florida-state/vs/duke

There is no cure for the cultural toxicity FSU constantly vents against the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023 10:16 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
03-16-2023 10:14 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(03-16-2023 10:51 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  ....

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, and set me straight if I am, but from what I read on the Seminole message boards, FSU fans won’t be happy until they’re in The SEC.

It’s not about the money, it’s about the culture. Louisville fans understand that if no one else does. Even more so now being in The ACC

There's a vocal slice of Seminole fans (it trends older) that is forever standing on the front porch of the SEC wearing Sunday clothes, hair slicked back and holding a dozen roses. For this subset the University of Alabama represents everything an academic community could aspire to be. What else is there? What else matters?

There are no other choices—only swindles, foisted on God-fearing tailgaters by carpetbagging, moustache-twirling, wine-and-cheese eaters Who Just Don't Understand These Things.

We see the perspective here now and then.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023 04:23 AM by Gitanole.)
03-17-2023 04:02 AM
Advertisement

nole Offline
1st String

(03-17-2023 04:02 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

There's a vocal slice of Seminole fans (it trends older) that is forever standing on the front porch of the SEC wearing Sunday clothes, hair slicked back and holding a dozen roses. For this subset the University of Alabama represents everything an academic community could aspire to be. What else is there? What else matters?

There are no other choices—only swindles, foisted on God-fearing tailgaters by carpetbagging, moustache-twirling, wine-and-cheese eaters Who Just Don't Understand These Things.

07-coffee3

This doesn't even come close to describing the FSU fan base. Ever been to Tallahassee or a game?

Only thing FSU fan base is concerned about right now (that would push a move to another conference) is the conference revenue gap. Period, the end. That is the ONLY thing that would push FSU outside the ACC.......not whatever bizarre fairy tale you just dreamed up.

It was plainly stated in FSU's BOT meeting very recently (bizarre that you would group FSU's AD into a 'vocal' minority of FSU's fan base). Been going to games since the 80s and a booster since the 90s know most of the names around FSU. Never met a soul that come close to what you just dreamed up. Nice story though.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023 02:16 PM by nole.)
03-17-2023 01:38 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2023 01:38 PM)nole Wrote:  

07-coffee3

This doesn't even come close to describing the FSU fan base. Ever been to Tallahassee or a game?

Only thing FSU fan base is concerned about right now (that would push a move to another conference) is the conference revenue gap. Period, the end. That is the ONLY thing that would push FSU outside the ACC.......not whatever bizarre fairy tale you just dreamed up.

It was plainly stated in FSU's BOT meeting very recently (bizarre that you would group FSU's AD into a 'vocal' minority of FSU's fan base). Been going to games since the 80s and a booster since the 90s know most of the names around FSU. Never met a soul that come close to what you just dreamed up. Nice story though.

If you want to go, OK just leave a check on your way out.
03-17-2023 04:10 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-17-2023 04:10 PM)XLance Wrote:  

07-coffee3

If you want to keep FSU & Clemson, just give FSU & Clemson checks to make up the difference between the ACC and the SEC. That's all they're asking for. Now if UNC doesn't want to do that, well,...you risk losing them m
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023 09:15 PM by DawgNBama.)
03-17-2023 08:16 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(03-17-2023 08:16 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

07-coffee3

If you want to keep FSU & Clemson, just give FSU & Clemson checks to make up the difference between the ACC and the SEC. That's all they're asking for. Now if UNC doesn't want to do that, well,...you risk losing them m

What's the point of giving them checks if they leave in 2037 anyway.

Any uneven revenue sharing (which would be minimal) would have to come with a long extension of the GoR. So long that the other schools see value in reducing their shares.

And I'm not sure you have to give Clemson any thing. I don't see them as a big value add for the SEC unless it's to prevent the B1G from getting into the SEC territory.
03-17-2023 11:11 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2023 11:11 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(03-17-2023 08:16 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(03-17-2023 04:02 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  There's a vocal slice of Seminole fans (it trends older) that is forever standing on the front porch of the SEC wearing Sunday clothes, hair slicked back and holding a dozen roses. For this subset the University of Alabama represents everything an academic community could aspire to be. What else is there? What else matters?

07-coffee3

What's the point of giving them checks if they leave in 2037 anyway.

Any uneven revenue sharing (which would be minimal) would have to come with a long extension of the GoR. So long that the other schools see value in reducing their shares.

And I'm not sure you have to give Clemson any thing. I don't see them as a big value add for the SEC unless it's to prevent the B1G from getting into the SEC territory.

FSU has 120 million reasons not to leave the ACC after the GoR are up if the money is close. There are also other advantages to staying in the ACC, but that revenue gap just needs to close.
03-17-2023 11:28 PM
Advertisement

Gitanole Offline
Barista

07-coffee3

This doesn't even come close to describing the FSU fan base.

Do read. I am not describing our fun, frolicsome fan base. I described 'a vocal slice' of our community over whom a rain cloud always hovers. This slice is definitely in the minority but it's definitely vocal.

Today this slice of our fan base has a revenue gap to moan about. Everyone's concerned about that. What differentiates this slice from the rest of Seminole fandom is that it has always moaned about Florida State in the ACC—even when the revenue difference favored that league.

It's to this gloomy slice of fandom that we owe some constant desultory tropes: John Swofford as a nefarious villain, the ACC as 'a crappy conference,' conference partners as 'freeloaders'—and (my personal fave!) the ACC conference network as a thing that 'will never happen,' because who believes anything ACC athletic directors tell us?

That last show was a series that ran for about three years, you may remember. One day the show was abruptly cancelled by John Skipper of Netflix—I mean, ESPN.

He started an ACC Network, of all things! Who could have seen that coming?

Who indeed... Some hearts have just never been in this partnership. Even on the sunniest days.

Quote:Only thing FSU fan base is concerned about right now (that would push a move to another conference) is the conference revenue gap. Period, the end.

Reaching a P2 level of revenue is a priority for the Florida State community, yes. And for that ageing slice of our fan base who has always been standing on the SEC porch holding roses, this makes the revenue gap a great talking point right now.

Let the Seminoles get a B1G invitation, though, and watch what happens.

07-coffee3
03-18-2023 02:46 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(03-18-2023 02:46 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Do read. I am not describing our fun, frolicsome fan base. I described 'a vocal slice' of our community over whom a rain cloud always hovers. This slice is definitely in the minority but it's definitely vocal.

Today this slice of our fan base has a revenue gap to moan about. Everyone's concerned about that. What differentiates this slice from the rest of Seminole fandom is that it has always moaned about Florida State in the ACC—even when the revenue difference favored that league.

It's to this gloomy slice of fandom that we owe some constant desultory tropes: John Swofford as a nefarious villain, the ACC as 'a crappy conference,' conference partners as 'freeloaders'—and (my personal fave!) the ACC conference network as a thing that 'will never happen,' because who believes anything ACC athletic directors tell us?

That last show was a series that ran for about three years, you may remember. One day the show was abruptly cancelled by John Skipper of Netflix—I mean, ESPN.

Who indeed... Some hearts have just never been in this partnership. Even on the sunniest days.

Quote:Only thing FSU fan base is concerned about right now (that would push a move to another conference) is the conference revenue gap. Period, the end.

Reaching a P2 level of revenue is a priority for the Florida State community, yes. And for that ageing slice of our fan base who has always been standing on the SEC porch holding roses, this makes the revenue gap a great talking point right now.

07-coffee3

Here is the comprehensive list of why FSU would consider leaving the ACC:

$

The end.

You have built this imaginary boogeyman of a 'ageing slice of our fan base'. It's a bizarre imaginary scenerio not supported by reality. For these reasons:

A) These 'aging' people were all around in the early 90s when FSU likely had a real option to choose the SEC over the ACC. They went with the ACC. Which at the time was paying $1 million more per year than the SEC.

B) Every poll I have seen, and there have been a solid number, show FSU's fan base prefers the SEC over the B1g by a 3 to 1 ratio. That isn't a 'tiny' slice. That is a very easy majority and it spans across all ages.

That all said, this isn't about anything other than $$$. The end. FSU, like every other school out there including Texas, USC UCLA, A&M, all the old Big East School in the ACC, etc, would go to any of the P2 and be happy to have the resources to keep up.

That's it.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 09:39 AM by nole.)
03-18-2023 09:38 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2023 09:38 AM)nole Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 02:46 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

07-coffee3

07-coffee3

Here is the comprehensive list of why FSU would consider leaving the ACC:

$

The end.

You have built this imaginary boogeyman of a 'ageing slice of our fan base'. It's a bizarre imaginary scenerio not supported by reality. For these reasons:

A) These 'aging' people were all around in the early 90s when FSU likely had a real option to choose the SEC over the ACC. They went with the ACC. Which at the time was paying $1 million more per year than the SEC.

B) Every poll I have seen, and there have been a solid number, show FSU's fan base prefers the SEC over the B1g by a 3 to 1 ratio. That isn't a 'tiny' slice. That is a very easy majority and it spans across all ages.

That all said, this isn't about anything other than $$$. The end. FSU, like every other school out there including Texas, USC UCLA, A&M, all the old Big East School in the ACC, etc, would go to any of the P2 and be happy to have the resources to keep up.

That's it.

07-coffee3

Just pay what you owe and leave. The constant b*tching is annoying and definitely not productive. But you had better hurry. The exit fee continues to increase every year.
Every school would like to have more money, but most of them don't complain constantly about it. Have your people pick a number and make a case and we'll vote on it. At this point, I would imagine you would be looking at about $600 Million (exit fee and discounted GOR penalty). Cash only.
Good luck in your new conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 10:22 AM by XLance.)
03-18-2023 10:21 AM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

When in comes to voting for schools, which SEC schools gain and which lose with the addition of FSU?

Florida wins because their annual game is now a league game.
Do Georgia and Alabama want to elevate FSU by giving them more money than they have access to now?
How are Mississippi State, South Carolina, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Oklahoma benefited by adding FSU? When once they could go into Florida and recruit against FSU with the SEC advantage, the advantage is now gone.
Do Texas, TAMU, and LSU need any recruits from Florida?
Are they voting to add an easy win - no.

I think you can make a solid case that most schools in the SEC gain nothing by adding FSU.

FSU's highest and best value is to the Big 10 for some of the B10 FSU is not politically or academically welcome - how many is difficult to say. Can you imagine how socially isolated FSU would be in the B10?
03-18-2023 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.