Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cancellation of Home Games
owlcarlos Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
With the new Delta Variant increasing, what will be the policy in Covid 19 testing of the players prior to home games at Rice Stadium? Unlimited capacity? Chance of cancellation? Masking required? Any chance of a forfeiture of a game if cancelled? Any news about these subjects? Just asking?
08-04-2021 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Cancellation of Home Games
I would suspect that since all Rice students have to be vaccinated, cancellations seem to be unlikely. Unless a new, more dangerous variant emerged? Rice is ahead of most schools on this regard.
08-04-2021 01:47 PM
dragon2owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Currently Rice is requiring masks indoors only. Students who are vaccinated must be testing once every 2 weeks. Students not vaccinated will test 2x a week. Haven't seen any updated protocols from CUSA.

Masks required in Vahalla when ordering, can only consume outside.

https://coronavirus.rice.edu/news/covid-...s-august-3
https://coronavirus.rice.edu/news/dou-pl...start-rice
08-04-2021 02:37 PM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

The idiots are at it again!!!
08-04-2021 04:00 PM
Texasowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice University
The Delta Variant only lasted two months in the UK and started subsiding.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 04:02 PM by Texasowl.)
08-04-2021 04:01 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(08-04-2021 04:00 PM)Musicowl1965 Wrote:  The idiots are at it again!!!

Try blaming your governor and not Rice. Texas is second to only Florida as a Delta hot spot at the moment, with Arkansas and Louisiana nipping at the heals.
08-04-2021 04:24 PM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(08-04-2021 04:24 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Try blaming your governor and not Rice. Texas is second to only Florida as a Delta hot spot at the moment, with Arkansas and Louisiana nipping at the heals.

07-coffee3 If the campus requires everyone to be vaccinated why are they requiring tests every week? What’s the point of masks if the chance of transmitting the disease while vaccinated extremely low (65k breakthrough cases out of 164M vaccinated). What does that have anything to do with Abbot? Anyone can go get a vaccine for free right now in Texas if they want to. Rice is being overly cautious covering its own ass like always.
08-04-2021 04:29 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I’m not really an Abbott fan for other reasons, but I am really, really unconvinced that public policy has much to do with Covid spread. It’s all about population behavior-NH hasn’t had many more restrictions than Texas throughout the entire pandemic and has a Republican trifecta in state government, yet you don’t hear about Chris Sununu killing people like you do Abbott. Some of that has to do with Texas being a much larger state than NH (but not totally-see Noem, Kristi)... Reality is that NH has a population with less comordities that spends more time outside and less crowding in housing. Also, the early surges in March 2020 in Mass, NY, CT, etc scared NH citizens in a way that it didn’t in Texas. Anyway-this discussion probably belongs in the quad.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 04:51 PM by ExcitedOwl18.)
08-04-2021 04:50 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2021 04:29 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

07-coffee3 If the campus requires everyone to be vaccinated why are they requiring tests every week? What’s the point of masks if the chance of transmitting the disease while vaccinated extremely low (65k breakthrough cases out of 164M vaccinated). What does that have anything to do with Abbot? Anyone can go get a vaccine for free right now in Texas if they want to. Rice is being overly cautious covering its own ass like always.

They’re requiring testing since breakthrough cases are more prevalent with the Delta variant.

Mask requirements are a CYA precaution from Rice, likely given two things: 1) how many students live full time on campus; 2) the inability to require students and faculty/staff from being vaccinated (which does actually connect to Abbott).

I think masking in classrooms, RMC, etc. make sense given all of the faculty and staff who have to interact with students. The rest, not gonna get worked up over it - seems excessive, but not life altering (unless I’m missing something).
08-04-2021 05:11 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(08-04-2021 05:11 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-04-2021 04:29 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

They’re requiring testing since breakthrough cases are more prevalent with the Delta variant.

Mask requirements are a CYA precaution from Rice, likely given two things: 1) how many students live full time on campus; 2) the inability to require students and faculty/staff from being vaccinated (which does actually connect to Abbott).

I think masking in classrooms, RMC, etc. make sense given all of the faculty and staff who have to interact with students. The rest, not gonna get worked up over it - seems excessive, but not life altering (unless I’m missing something).

“More” prevalent than 0.04%. Very worrisome…. Covid isn’t going away ever and these “precautions” by Rice don’t make sense anymore. Vaccines are widely available even in a state where those darn Republicans are in power.

Rice has already stated to live on campus the vaccine is mandated and the campus population is 90+% vaccinated.
08-04-2021 05:36 PM
Texasowl Offline
1st String

The illegal bums coming across the border are deeply infected with Covid causing a big
problem nationwide.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021 09:54 PM by Texasowl.)
08-04-2021 09:53 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(08-04-2021 09:53 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  The illegal bums coming across the border are deeply infected with Covid causing a big
problem nationwide.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Stop repeating B.S. Fox News talking points. The infection rate in the U.S. is higher than those coming across the border. Total B.S. deflection and distraction.
08-04-2021 09:57 PM
Texasowl Offline
1st String

You need to get out of your bubble and face reality.
(08-04-2021 09:57 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(08-04-2021 09:53 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  The illegal bums coming across the border are deeply infected with Covid causing a big
problem nationwide.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Stop repeating B.S. Fox News talking points. The infection rate in the U.S. is higher than those coming across the border. Total B.S. deflection and distraction.
08-04-2021 10:18 PM
WRC1975 Online
Water Engineer

Walt - for us ignorant Texans, can you produce the data from a reliable source to support your claim that the infection rate in the U.S. is higher than those coming across the border. I am sure citizens who live on the Texas border would be relieved once they see your data, especially in McAllen where they have a city wide state of emergency.

[/quote]

[/quote]
08-04-2021 10:32 PM
Texasowl Offline
1st String

Get out of your bubble. It was just announced today McAllen is being overrun by illegals who have not been even tested by the federal government and these bums will be shipped all over the US. From 5% (or 50,000 ) up to 500,000 have tested positive for Covid. However, the federal government will not give official numbers, so it must bevreal bad
(08-04-2021 10:32 PM)WRC1975 Wrote:  Walt - for us ignorant Texans, can you produce the data from a reliable source to support your claim that the infection rate in the U.S. is higher than those coming across the border. I am sure citizens who live on the Texas border would be relieved once they see your data, especially in McAllen where they have a city wide state of emergency.

[/quote]
[/quote]
08-05-2021 01:09 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2021 01:09 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  Get out of your bubble. It was just announced today McAllen is being overrun by illegals who have not been even tested by the federal government and these bums will be shipped all over the US. From 5% (or 50,000 ) up to 500,000 have tested positive for Covid. However, the federal government will not give official numbers, so it must bevreal bad
(08-04-2021 10:32 PM)WRC1975 Wrote:  Walt - for us ignorant Texans, can you produce the data from a reliable source to support your claim that the infection rate in the U.S. is higher than those coming across the border. I am sure citizens who live on the Texas border would be relieved once they see your data, especially in McAllen where they have a city wide state of emergency.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Harris County/City of Houston had over 3,000 confirmed COVID cases in one day last week. Are you suggesting that COVID-positive illegal aliens at the boarder are impacting that number?

Seems like the COVID-positive illegal immigrants are a problem, but not the main (or even secondary) cause for the increased number of COVID cases Texas is experiencing.

edit: https://covid-harriscounty.hub.arcgis.co...ative-data
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2021 01:26 PM by RiceLad15.)
08-05-2021 01:25 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(08-05-2021 01:25 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Harris County/City of Houston had over 3,000 confirmed COVID cases in one day last week. Are you suggesting that COVID-positive illegal aliens at the boarder are impacting that number?

maybe the ones who were at the border last week and released? They gotta go somewhere. It isn't back south.
08-05-2021 03:00 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-05-2021 01:25 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Harris County/City of Houston had over 3,000 confirmed COVID cases in one day last week. Are you suggesting that COVID-positive illegal aliens at the boarder are impacting that number?

Are you suggesting that they don't?
08-05-2021 04:21 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2021 04:21 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I do not think they are causing a significant, or even noticeable, impact on the COVID-19 cases being reported in Harris county, or Texas at large.

There were more than 11,000 new cases reported yesterday in Texas. My guess is that the vast majority across the state is due to community spread unrelated to illegal immigrants entering the state and then being released. It’s not like Texas is the only state seeing a surge right now - other states operating in the same way in the same region are seeing similar issues, unrelated to illegal immigrants testing COVID positive.

What are your thoughts on it?
08-05-2021 04:54 PM
markbrindley Online
2nd String

(08-05-2021 04:21 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

For your consideration…

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/02/us/po...covid.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-05-2021 04:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.