Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sorry but another Internet rumor of MWC getting poached by AAC
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Does anyone know this twitter dude? Are his rumors well sourced or is this just made up for clicks sake.

Pinned Tweet
Greg Flugaur
@flugempire
Heads Up: This morning from BTM - The Source.

“Boise St is on the AAC’s doorstep. Expect at least one partner in San Diego St to make move together. Up to two more additional schools could be added to the flow. The heavy push to seal it up is between now and start of July.”
Eyes
6:35 AM · May 5, 2021·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Quote Tweets
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 04:31 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
05-05-2021 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Sorry but another Internet rumor of MWC getting poached by AAC
That guy trolls every fanbase in college athletics. I don’t believe he’s anymore knowledgeable than the average poster here. In the past his Twitter battles with The Dude have been priceless.
05-05-2021 04:37 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Agreed...he might have a source or two but he has never been too accurate.

I do agree the AAC is likely reaching out to some schools out West. If the P5 sez "F it" to the NCAA they might want to bring along a 1 or 2 G5 leagues and the Big East.
05-05-2021 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(05-05-2021 04:43 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Agreed...he might have a source or two but he has never been too accurate.

I do agree the AAC is likely reaching out to some schools out West. If the P5 sez "F it" to the NCAA they might want to bring along a 1 or 2 G5 leagues and the Big East.

And you just explained the P6 campaign
05-05-2021 04:51 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Will someone please point this gentleman to the ultimate official Boise mega thread to end all threads please?

This
05-05-2021 05:07 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
Though there's still a problem of olympic sports. I'm still unsure who would take either of them. I don't see either the WAC or Big Sky taking Olympic only invites. The only option is Byu asking WCC to take Boise State if Byu accepted a AAC invite.
05-05-2021 05:10 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
If Pflu is saying it, expect the opposite - so Houston, SMU and Wichita to the MWC ;0
05-05-2021 05:11 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-05-2021 05:10 PM)46566 Wrote:  Though there's still a problem of olympic sports. I'm still unsure who would take either of them. I don't see either the WAC or Big Sky taking Olympic only invites. The only option is Byu asking WCC to take Boise State if Byu accepted a AAC invite.

WAC is in "zany scheme" mode. They really want a Texas school, but the way they've been making moves lately, if Boise is actually looking at an AAC move, I could see the WAC taking them just to have the FBS association.
05-05-2021 05:38 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Who knows.

Perhaps the American has moved off it's football only offer to be All Sports. San Diego State I can see being attractive to the WCC, especially Gonzaga who wants to up the SoS. I don't think that option is there for Boise State, hence my WAG that if there is something to this, the American may have altered it's offer to the Broncos.

If nothing else GF is correct that the American looks much more appealing if a Playoff spot is there for the top G5, which looks increasingly to be with the American.

I see Boise State as far more motivated than San Diego State., and 13 seems bad number for football.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 05:42 PM by Stugray2.)
05-05-2021 05:39 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(05-05-2021 05:10 PM)46566 Wrote:  Though there's still a problem of olympic sports. I'm still unsure who would take either of them. I don't see either the WAC or Big Sky taking Olympic only invites. The only option is Byu asking WCC to take Boise State if Byu accepted a AAC invite.

There is another option. Have Olympic sports in 2 divisions of 8 teams that rarely play cross-divisional games.

AAC West for All Sports
BYU
SDSU
Boise
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Wichita / Navy fb-only
Gonzaga

AAC East for All Sports
Cincinnati
ECU
Temple
UCF
USF
Memphis
Tulane
Dayton

Of course, this would be a huge leap. But I think it would be a leap worth taking.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 05:45 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
05-05-2021 05:40 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
BYU wont come in. They still have P5 aspirations.
05-05-2021 05:42 PM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(05-05-2021 05:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  BYU wont come in. They still have P5 aspirations.

I get that. But if the AAC has as many playoff appearances in the first 5 years as the Pac-12 does, they might jump on the P6 train.
05-05-2021 06:02 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Can the AAC invite Californian teams? Texas and Oklahoma are in the timeout chair.

https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 06:25 PM by domer1978.)
05-05-2021 06:24 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(05-05-2021 06:02 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(05-05-2021 05:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  BYU wont come in. They still have P5 aspirations.

I get that. But if the AAC has as many playoff appearances in the first 5 years as the Pac-12 does, they might jump on the P6 train.

Exactly. What’s the point of being on your own with little chance of a play off berth (being in the top 10 would really be the only safe way to get in in 5-1-6) when you could be in the conference that is usually the 1 in the 5-1-6 equation.
05-05-2021 06:25 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
i think espn would be interested in moving both the MWC and AAC into the cfp but not into the A5 itself so they wouldn’t have to shell out a bunch of money
they might want BYU to join the MWC though
i’d feel bad for the sun, mac, and cusa...
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 06:46 PM by JHS55.)
05-05-2021 06:43 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(05-05-2021 06:24 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  Can the AAC invite Californian teams? Texas and Oklahoma are in the timeout chair.

https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887

NC is too

This

Quote: "We won’t use state funds to travel there,” said SDSU Athletic Director John David Wicker
05-05-2021 06:45 PM
Advertisement

MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
A few quick thoughts:

1) While the concept of Boise eventually joining the AAC is based on sound data, the original source here is about as flakey as it gets. I have no source or any indication to think any move is about to be announced or confirmed.

2) The chances of the WCC accepting Boise State are zero percent. The league views institutional fit as an absolute mission critical component of their identity. They're not going to take a public school.

3) BYU makes more money from their ESPN TV deal *and* gets more games where they actually recruit athletes than they would from joining the AAC.
05-05-2021 07:49 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(05-05-2021 07:49 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  A few quick thoughts:

1) While the concept of Boise eventually joining the AAC is based on sound data, the original source here is about as flakey as it gets. I have no source or any indication to think any move is about to be announced or confirmed.

2) The chances of the WCC accepting Boise State are zero percent. The league views institutional fit as an absolute mission critical component of their identity. They're not going to take a public school.

3) BYU makes more money from their ESPN TV deal *and* gets more games where they actually recruit athletes than they would from joining the AAC.

So, would you say it’s a 0% chance that the AAC pulls of a Western expansion?
05-05-2021 08:23 PM
Yung Knightt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
(05-05-2021 07:49 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  A few quick thoughts:

Do you have BYU's ESPN TV deal finances around?
05-05-2021 08:46 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I hope he is wrong. IMO, the AAC should not take Boise or SDSU, and especially not if we have to take any sports other than football.

And I'm even against taking their football. The AAC has proven capable of dominating the G5 NY6 spot without these MW schools. There's a reason the rest of the MW tried to end Boise's sweetheart TV deal - because Boise hasn't been doing what they were expected to do to earn that extra money, namely capture the NY6 spot. The last time Boise did that, Saban had four national titles not seven, and the idea of Clemson going to the playoffs even once seemed far-fetched. IMO we dodged a bullet when they bailed out in late 2012 as the Big East fell fully apart.

Boise and SDSU want a lifeline. But why should the AAC provide one? As a USF fan, I'm uninterested in allowing Boise or SDSU access to our superior platform.

Let them drown.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 09:36 PM by quo vadis.)
05-05-2021 09:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.