PAC 12 players "threatening" to boycott......lol
Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
https://247sports.com/Article/Pac-12-pla...149309979/

Saw this this morning and it's too golden not to share. From the article

"Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the Pac-12/Universities 2 take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season..There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or More players on many of teams in support of this action/demands list," Carpenter tweeted. "The initial idea was 2 create a players union, they decided time didn’t allow 4 this & figure the best way to create the change they want is 2 “boycott” the season.

Some of their demands are a 50/50 revenue split, 6 years of insurance after finishing school, more Covid testing, etc etc etc. My opinion is let them boycott; after all, when is the last time the PAC12 was relevant
07-20-2020 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: PAC 12 players "threatening" to boycott......lol
(07-20-2020 09:23 AM)usm99 Wrote:  https://247sports.com/Article/Pac-12-pla...149309979/

Saw this this morning and it's too golden not to share. From the article

"Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the Pac-12/Universities 2 take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season..There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or More players on many of teams in support of this action/demands list," Carpenter tweeted. "The initial idea was 2 create a players union, they decided time didn’t allow 4 this & figure the best way to create the change they want is 2 “boycott” the season.

Some of their demands are a 50/50 revenue split, 6 years of insurance after finishing school, more Covid testing, etc etc etc. My opinion is let them boycott; after all, when is the last time the PAC12 was relevant

I suppose they want their scholarships honored while they boycott?
07-20-2020 09:28 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

from another article. And with Cal players reportedly leading the way it makes you wonder the school's thoughts are as Cal operated close to a $25 million dollar deficit last year and that's with football revenue at $35 million.

https://thespun.com/pac-12/california/pa...ue-sharing

The demands revolve around revenue sharing, and more adequate COVID-19 testing and protocols ahead of the 2020 season. They’re also demanding better insurance post-graduation. It’s unclear how many players are involved, though Carpenter says that all 12 schools are represented. There’s reportedly a few programs with over 50 players voicing support for the demands.

Cal football players are reportedly leading the movement within the Pac-12. The players involved will soon be meeting together to vote on the next step in the process, according to the former Sun Devil.
07-20-2020 09:42 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

Kind of gives away that the players think of themselves as employees.
07-20-2020 10:17 AM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
No one said "YOU HAD" to play college football. It's a means to an end if you use the system in your favor. If I could give a student athlete some advice I would do not let the school or the coaches use you, don't sign up for communication or basket weaving classes. Pick a major that will get you a job when your career is over. Stop being a victim.
07-20-2020 10:36 AM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

If the PAC12 was a tree in the forest and it fell and there was no one there to hear it, would it make a sound?
07-20-2020 10:38 AM
Advertisement

michael.stevens.3110 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
Well ...The Players said that it would be a season without them ...From what Iveseen of PAC Football ..They started on this program several years ago ...!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
07-20-2020 12:34 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

Did some research along with some rough math calculations.....last year Cal football had revenues of around $35 million. This year that number surely will decrease with Covid restrictions so let's say their revenue is "only" $20 million. The players want a 50/50 split of revenue so that'd be $10 million. Divide that by the approximately 125 players on the roster and that comes out to $80k per player (and that's before the scholarship, pell grants and additional cost of attendance.........AIN'T HAPPENING BOYS

And if we were to use to $35 million from 2018-19 season split 50/50 with the 125 players that would come out to $136k per player
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2020 09:13 AM by usm99.)
07-20-2020 01:10 PM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I have a couple of questions:
  • Do athletes get 50% of the revenue for their sport, or is it shared across all sports? Only the men's basketball and football players are likely to generate revenue. If football players want football revenue, then they are going to have a hard time getting Olympic-sport athletes on board with the plan.
  • Are players looking for 50% of gross revenues, or net? If they want gross tell them to go to hell.
  • Most Athletic Departments do not make money, so there should be no, or very little net revenues to split with them. If the AD has a deficit, will the athletes cover 50% of those in this partnership they want to establish?
  • 6 years of post-graduation insurance? Programs cannot afford this, and for the basketball players that go overseas to play, how would this work?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2020 01:21 PM by Nugget49er.)
07-20-2020 01:19 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(07-20-2020 01:19 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  I have a couple of questions:
  • Do athletes get 50% of the revenue for their sport, or is it shared across all sports? Only the men's basketball and football players are likely to generate revenue. If football players want football revenue, then they are going to have a hard time getting Olympic-sport athletes on board with the plan.
  • Are players looking for 50% of gross revenues, or net? If they want gross tell them to go to hell.
  • Most Athletic Departments do not make money, so there should be no, or very little net revenues to split with them. If the AD has a deficit, will the athletes cover 50% of those in this partnership they want to establish?
  • 6 years of post-graduation insurance? Programs cannot afford this, and for the basketball players that go overseas to play, how would this work?

That 3rd point was/is one of my main sticking points why i feel it won't happen. For the 2018-19 fiscal year Cal (and i use them as they are the ones mentioned as spearheading this) had a deficit of just under $25 million for the entire department. Football as a whole had a deficit just shy of a $7 million after expenses while Basketball revenue was around $8 million but after expenses managed to make around $1.5 million.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2020 02:16 PM by usm99.)
07-20-2020 01:55 PM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

As it was stated earlier...most if not all athletic programs run at a deficit. It's too bad that the athletes can't see that basically all revenue does go to their benefit and in the lower schools internal revenue in the form of athletic fees goes to them. Scholarships, lodging, meal plans, athletic facilities, etc. I believe if "Antifa" gets ahold of college sports, we will see 2 sports (football and basketball). No one is forcing them to go to college and their is no right that says you have to play professional sports.
07-20-2020 02:30 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-20-2020 10:38 AM)FAU Connoisseur! Wrote:  If the PAC12 was a tree in the forest and it fell and there was no one there to hear it, would it make a sound?

Yes, it would. This one:

ooooooh, why me? They are all so mean. I feel used.
07-20-2020 05:17 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
If they're getting paid then they can pay for their own schooling. I would imagine there would also need to be contracts in place meaning they can't leave whenever they want. And those contracts would have performance requirements that they would have to honor to get paid. And those that don't perform would be dropped from the roster and receive nothing or some sort of minimum. They want paid like professionals then they'll be treated like professionals, and they better damn sure act like professionals. And schools could also lose their tax exempt status over this.

If I were a conference this year, especially, I would cut my losses on this season and tell the players to pound sand. Further more I would expel the lot of them as a lesson to the next bunch coming in. They are gambling in the wrong season, which might not even happen, but will certainly not be a lucrative one no matter how it plays out.
07-21-2020 03:14 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
two thingys....

1. not a soul saw this coming once 'pay for play' opened up pandora's....

2. send in the punt team on 3rd down....

#fk'nMorons

#fkCovidPoosies

#fktoday'scollegiateathletics

/sarc
07-21-2020 03:32 AM
WKgirldad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WKU
It’s happening, unfortunately. Slowly.
07-21-2020 07:03 AM
UTEPDallas Online
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(07-20-2020 10:38 AM)FAU Connoisseur! Wrote:  If the PAC12 was a tree in the forest and it fell and there was no one there to hear it, would it make a sound?

You’re confusing the Pac-12 with C-USA.
07-21-2020 07:45 PM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2020 07:45 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

You’re confusing the Pac-12 with C-USA.

Nah...a lot less trees in CUSA....
07-21-2020 08:02 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(07-21-2020 03:32 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  two thingys....

1. not a soul saw this coming once 'pay for play' opened up pandora's....

2. send in the punt team on 3rd down....

#fk'nMorons

#fkCovidPoosies

#fktoday'scollegiateathletics

/sarc

What's a Covidpoosie?

The visuals alone make me giggle.
07-21-2020 08:09 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt is organizing a chat page boycott!

everyone should have the same reputation points!,
07-22-2020 06:22 AM
webster Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Pull their scholarships and boot them off the team.
There are plenty of young athletes who would dream of having their spots.
You get a free ride, a platform to demonstrate your skills to get you into the pros if you're good enough, and if you're not pro worthy you at least get an amazing college experience for free.
I'm sick and tired of the ideas to pay or pamper these student athletes. It's time for the schools and NCAA to say come play or don't. There will always be someone willing to take your spot.
07-22-2020 07:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.