Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northeast Conference expanding to add Merrimack College
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
Northeast Conference expanding to add Merrimack College
http://northeastconference.org/news/2018...EC_18.aspx

Men's and women's hockey are already D-I in Hockey East.
09-10-2018 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Northeast Conference expanding to add Merrimack College
Shame to see NJIT snubbed. Let’s see Merrimack take down Michigan.
09-10-2018 10:46 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Merrimack has football. NJIT doesn't.

So either they are going to a 20-game basketball schedule, or they will invite another.
09-10-2018 11:18 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
Merrimack also more closely fits the general NEC profile, as a smaller private college. NJIT eventually belongs in America East.
09-10-2018 12:00 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

(09-10-2018 12:00 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Merrimack also more closely fits the general NEC profile, as a smaller private college. NJIT eventually belongs in America East.

NJIT will be waiting a long, long time if that's their end goal.
09-10-2018 12:33 PM
PDNJ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: DU, Iowa
(09-10-2018 12:33 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  
(09-10-2018 12:00 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Merrimack also more closely fits the general NEC profile, as a smaller private college. NJIT eventually belongs in America East.

Why? NJIT fits the institutional and geographic profile. They have good academics, large market, improving athletics, and are pumping serious $$$ into all their on-campus facilities: academic, athletic, cultural, et al. America East should welcome them while they have the chance.
09-10-2018 01:12 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Did David St “call this” one too?
09-10-2018 01:56 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(09-10-2018 01:12 PM)PDNJ Wrote:  

Why? NJIT fits the institutional and geographic profile. They have good academics, large market, improving athletics, and are pumping serious $$$ into all their on-campus facilities: academic, athletic, cultural, et al. America East should welcome them while they have the chance.

Yeah, I agree on all points. NJIT is the other state school playing D1 sports in NJ. That fits with the mid-major profile of the NY-NE state schools in the AE. Plus NJIT's location provides a nice bridge between UMBC and the rest of AE. It is literally a 10 minute drive from the NJTPK exit to the campus. That makes foe a nice stopover before heading South to Maryland.
09-10-2018 01:58 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

If the CAA ever wises up and takes SUNY-SB and SUNY-A as all sports members, AE will be calling to extend an invitation to NJIT in about 5 minutes,
09-10-2018 02:00 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(09-10-2018 02:00 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

If the CAA ever wises up and takes SUNY-SB and SUNY-A as all sports members, AE will be calling to extend an invitation to NJIT in about 5 minutes,

Not sure there's really a benefit to the CAA expanding past 10 unless they need to go to a 20-game conference schedule and need one more. There isn't a giant need for one-bid conferences to get big. AE at 9 members is slightly on the small side though.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018 02:45 PM by Bogg.)
09-10-2018 02:44 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
What happens to Field Hockey? My guess is they replace Siena, who are dropping the sport, in the MAAC. The NEC has 5 teams sponsoring now.

I suspect the NEC will go to 20 game Basketball schedule next year. They will only ever be a one bid league, but like the Big Sky, it would give schools and extra conference home game to sell tickets to. Being compact geographically they should be able to do it with only 5 "out of sequence" games.

An 8th in football will make scheduling easier, as schools will only need 4 OOC instead of 5.

Very interesting move.
09-10-2018 03:06 PM
Advertisement

ccd494 Offline
1st String

(09-10-2018 01:58 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

Yeah, I agree on all points. NJIT is the other state school playing D1 sports in NJ. That fits with the mid-major profile of the NY-NE state schools in the AE. Plus NJIT's location provides a nice bridge between UMBC and the rest of AE. It is literally a 10 minute drive from the NJTPK exit to the campus. That makes foe a nice stopover before heading South to Maryland.

When America East added UMass Lowell they invited both Lowell and NJIT to make presentations. Lowell's was great. NJIT's was very, very much not. Like, laughably not. Like, probably going to need the entire leadership in the conference office and at a number of AE schools to turn over before considering NJIT again bad.

NJIT also has a weird mix of sports because it is heavily male. It doesn't do a whole lot to help America East in any way. It's fairly large, it's public. But it doesn't add revenue or add numbers to sports America East is light in, excepting baseball.
09-10-2018 03:12 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(09-10-2018 11:18 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  So either they are going to a 20-game basketball schedule, or they will invite another.

Probably the former. NEC already has Duquesne as a football affiliate.
09-10-2018 05:47 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
NJITs candidacy is hampered by its lack of football AND its small offering of womens sports.
09-10-2018 06:07 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(09-10-2018 03:06 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  What happens to Field Hockey? My guess is they replace Siena, who are dropping the sport, in the MAAC. The NEC has 5 teams sponsoring now.

I suspect the NEC will go to 20 game Basketball schedule next year. They will only ever be a one bid league, but like the Big Sky, it would give schools and extra conference home game to sell tickets to. Being compact geographically they should be able to do it with only 5 "out of sequence" games.

An 8th in football will make scheduling easier, as schools will only need 4 OOC instead of 5.

Very interesting move.
The NEC announced it is sponsoring field hockey again last week:

https://www.northeastconference.org/news...aspx?path=
09-10-2018 06:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(09-10-2018 06:07 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  NJITs candidacy is hampered by its lack of football AND its small offering of womens sports.

That it’s a public school doesn’t help any, especially with FDU and Wagner not far away.

It’s always about enrollment and resources in these places...a distrust that the public member gets some sort of edge in the arrangement. Of course, tell me how CCSU is doing there...

This hurts NJIT...to hear it from close by, they may have wanted NEC even over AmEast, who they seem to align better institutionally.
09-10-2018 07:05 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If NJIT put together a decent FCS football team they'd be in a regional conference. I think a rebrand as "Jersey Tech" for athletics could help their image.
09-10-2018 07:24 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Would NJIT even have room for a stadium? The campus is 11 miles from the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan, and is adjacent to Rutgers-Newark. If the Highlanders ever play football, it probably would be at Red Bull Arena in Harrison.
09-10-2018 07:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

And where are they getting "serious" money from exactly?
09-10-2018 07:58 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-10-2018 01:56 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Did David St “call this” one too?

Yes. The rumors were also Bentley and Southern New Hampshire would follow suit. Bentley also have football, Sothern New Hampshire does not.

Merrimack To D1 Rumor Thread

I started this thread in December of 2016.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018 08:21 PM by DavidSt.)
09-10-2018 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.