O'Leary Wants Bulls Yearly
WVU82 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
O'Leary Wants Bulls Yearly
By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jul 30, 2006

USF was picked to finish fifth in the
Big East's preseason football media poll.
Where will the Bulls finish?

First or second
Third or fourth
Fifth or sixth
Seventh or eighth

TAMPA - UCF coach George O'Leary wants the University of South Florida.

He wants to play the Bulls this year, next year and every year after that. O'Leary would love an annual series between the schools, located only 98 miles apart. The feeling, however, does not appear mutual.

"I've made it very clear, I'd like to continue the series each and every year," O'Leary said at the Tampa Marriott Waterside on Saturday for the Florida Sports Writers Association's media days. "That [the decision] is at the AD level. I can't get a 12th game better than South Florida. From a distance standpoint, a fan base standpoint, I think it's an ideal game to play."

So if this year's contest, Sept. 16 in Orlando, is the final game in the series, don't blame UCF.

"I want the game," O'Leary said. "The way we played last year [a 31-14 USF win], I don't know why [USF] wouldn't want the game.

"I think it's a game the fans really get excited for. It's a game that will fill both stadiums or come close to it."

Last year's game in Tampa drew 45,139, the third-largest home crowd in USF history. It was only 135 fans less than USF drew last year against No. 12 West Virginia and nearly 12,000 more than USF's first Big East home game, against No. 9 Louisville.

"I think it's a good game for both schools," O'Leary said. "I can't get a better opponent to come in and play me for a 12th game than South Florida. Why should I travel to the Midwest or return games [having] to fly on planes, when I can bus back and forth? It makes a lot of sense, but you'll have to talk to them about what their feelings are."

USF is committed to discussing future games with UCF, but no decision has been reached, USF assistant AD John Gerdes said.

USF coach Jim Leavitt, who will speak today at the FSWA's media days, and USF AD Doug Woolard were unavailable for comment Saturday.

Although this is the final game of the two-year deal between USF and UCF, the series likely will continue whether USF wants it to or not. USF's exit agreement from Conference USA requires the Bulls to play three more games against C-USA teams, meaning USF-UCF may not go away for at least a few more years.

Coming off last year's 8-5 season, the fourth-biggest turnaround in NCAA history, and UCF's first bowl game, the school made sure to lock in O'Leary for 10 more years, with a $1 million-a-year contract. Last year's success, 17 returning starters and O'Leary's new deal make for higher expectations.

"We have to get back to another bowl game, that's critical," O'Leary said. "The schedule picks up a little this year [nonconference games with Florida, USF and Pittsburgh] and we're not sneaking up on anybody."

Before last season, consecutive bowl games would have seemed like crazy talk.

"Last year at this time [coming off an 0-11 season], I said I felt we had a good enough team if everything fell right to get enough wins to get to a bowl," O'Leary said. "I got a lot of quizzical looks, which I should have. I keep telling our players, continue to do good things right and good things will happen."

The Knights, who built the state's first indoor football practice facility, hope to continue their recent momentum. UCF reportedly already has 10 verbal commitments for 2007 - "we have more verbals right now, whatever that means," O'Leary said - and will move into a new on-campus stadium next year (which UCF will christen against Texas on Sept. 15, 2007, on ESPN).

"When I first got there I said we have to lay the tracks," he said. "We had a bunch of people jumping on the train. That's not going to get it done. We need people on the ground laying the tracks and we did that. We took our time doing things right.

"The stadium is the end of the puzzle. Now you'll find out if UCF is for real or not."

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com.
07-30-2006 03:51 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...sports-col

(FYI...State of FLA Coaches are holding their annual media day in Tampa this week...which is why you will see a lot of articles from around the state)

This one from Orlando Sentinel's UF Grad and Spurrier's #1 Fan Mike Bianchi:

COMMENTARY

Rivalry has fallen victim to USF's big-time ego
Mike Bianchi
SPORTS COMMENTARY

July 30, 2006

TAMPA -- Why are we still having this conversation?

Why is it that every year when college football coaches from across the state get together for their preseason press powwow that the same scenario always develops?

Here's the drill:

UCF coach says he wants to play South Florida on an annual basis.

USF coach (or representative) hems and haws and says, in effect, "We'll have to get back to you on that."

(See free link for full article)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...sports-col
07-30-2006 08:08 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

I'm going to be shocked if we can have one civil thread about South Florida that doesn't have UCF fans taking cheap shots at them. It's seriously getting old and tired. Why beg to play USF? If UCF is as strong as you say you shouldn't have to even bother to mention USF let alone cry and stomp your feet when they say they don't want to play you or don't even mention you.
07-30-2006 08:33 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

I guess the only people who can relate are the Mountaineers and their pesky little sisters in Huntington.

USF hasn't decided either way, and there is a high likelihood that USF will extend the series, yet the Tinmen are having their annual August Woodie about "usf being scared".

All I got say is that it's not about "being scared" but doing what is best for USF. After all, this game would mean more for UCF fans and they would gain more from it being played.

1. They get a guaranteed series with a BCS team.

2. They get big draw every other year to bump up their attendance since they don't have any natural draws in CDOA, like USF has in UL or WVU.

3. Once they move on campus, rumor is that they will limit tickets to 2-5K duckets for USF fans, since their erector set only seats 45K. If the game is about money it should be played in the Citrus dump to accommodate more fans from both sides.

4. Nobody likes to be embarrassed. This continued drama queen act in the media polarizes USF b/c nobody likes to be told what do. Especially when the Bulls have nothing to prove.

5. USF would rather develop conference rivalries with UL and WVU which are nationally significant. USF was the talk of country when we beat #9 Louisville last Fall. Playing UCF does nothing for USF. The Bulls crushed the Knights last year and it barely registered in the national spotlight. Heck despite the sound pummelling and crushing UCF actually had more votes than USF in early November despite not beating ANY good teams. USF's program has been on the rise since Day 1, so why risk an upset in losing to non-BCS conference team.

Oh, one last thing.... 31-14.....and it really wasn't that close.
07-30-2006 08:35 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Not yet but we got 1-1 from Miami. 04-chairshot
By the way interesting that Bianchi is all over this match up but doesnt get on his Gators for not playing Miami in an annual series.
I think youll see the games continue because of the CUSA deal but if it doesnt im sure we will still be hounded around the internet by Sir Galahad and his crew 05-mafia
07-30-2006 08:36 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

Sir Galahad Wrote:KL, its not going to happen, don't you know that USF is in negotiations with Nebraska and Oklahoma for one for ones. lmfao lmfao lmfao

Hey SouthTampaKnight: what was the score from last year's game?

Are you going to be around after this year's game or are you going to change handles yet again?

Oh btw....not only is USF getting a (2) one for ones with Miami, but we are working on a annual series. How do you like those apples, considering you said UM would never play a return game?

Regarding, Auburn.......stay tuned.
07-30-2006 08:39 AM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

It's somewhat similar to Cincinnati and Miami-OH. Miami has had success against Cincinnati since we were fellow non-BCS programs and in non-Big 6 conferences for ages. When Cincinnati got the invite to the Big East a rumor went around that Cincinnati was considering cancelling the battle for the Victory Bell annual matchup with Miami. Miami freaked out because they have had attendance problems and Cincinnati is a strong draw for them, and vice versa, because it's one of the oldest rivalries in the nation. That week, on Miami's radio show, the radio guys and some guy that was part of the program, I don't know who, proceeded to trash Cincinnati and said they were scared and threatened to sue them if they didn't extend the series. The same thing happened that year when the Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout came around and rumors were that UC was considering moving the series to a neutral court or cancelling it. Again, Xavier administration and some people connected to it proceeded to take shots at Cincinnati and make Cincinnati out as the bad guy. Needless to say these things pissed Cincinnati's administration off. The series are still on , but the last thing you need to do if you want a series to continue is trash the other program. That is stupid and unprofessional. O'Leary went about it the classy and professional way and I respect that. Maybe others should follow his lead, not just UCF, but other programs around the country.
07-30-2006 08:42 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

CyberBull Wrote:5. USF would rather develop conference rivalries with UL and WVU which are nationally significant. USF was the talk of country when we beat #9 Louisville last Fall. Playing UCF does nothing for USF. The Bulls crushed the Knights last year and it barely registered in the national spotlight. Heck despite the sound pummelling and crushing UCF actually had more votes than USF in early November despite not beating ANY good teams. USF's program has been on the rise since Day 1, so why risk an upset in losing to non-BCS conference team.

What does a Conference game(s) have to do with non-conf games?

Heck..even Cinci knows its smart to keep playing Miami, OH.

Again...what does Conference games have to do with USF scheduling 5 non-conf games every year?

KL
07-30-2006 08:43 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

CyberBull Wrote:
Sir Galahad Wrote:KL, its not going to happen, don't you know that USF is in negotiations with Nebraska and Oklahoma for one for ones. lmfao lmfao lmfao

Hey SouthTampaKnight: what was the score from last year's game?

Are you going to be around after this year's game or are you going to change handles yet again?

Oh btw....not only is USF getting a (2) one for ones with Miami, but we are working on a annual series. How do you like those apples, considering you said UM would never play a return game?

Regarding, Oklahoma.......stay tuned.

Some of the same people were trashing Cincinnati talking about how it was a horrible program and nobody would play them. Yet Cincinnati has signed home-and-home series with North Carolina State and Virginia Tech. Cincinnati had a 3 for 1 deal with Ohio State that ends this year when UC goes to Ohio State. After that a straight-up home-and-home deal kicks in, a deal Cincinnati signed with Ohio State last year. The Big East schools are doing fine despite what people like to say.
07-30-2006 08:46 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

KnightLight Wrote:
CyberBull Wrote:5. USF would rather develop conference rivalries with UL and WVU which are nationally significant. USF was the talk of country when we beat #9 Louisville last Fall. Playing UCF does nothing for USF. The Bulls crushed the Knights last year and it barely registered in the national spotlight. Heck despite the sound pummelling and crushing UCF actually had more votes than USF in early November despite not beating ANY good teams. USF's program has been on the rise since Day 1, so why risk an upset in losing to non-BCS conference team.

Again...what does Conference games have to do with USF scheduling 5 non-conf games every year?

KL

While Cincinnati is smart to keep playing Miami-OH the counter is, why is USF obligated to play UCF? It just seems like a one way street, USF is considering their options and UCF is demanding a series with USF. I don't know what the big deal is. If USF doesn't agree to play UCF life goes on. Why mock and try to publically embarrass South Florida if they don't immediately respond to a question about the series?
07-30-2006 08:48 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

KnightLight Wrote:

KL

KL -- you are barking up the wrong tree bud. you know my feelings about the game right? However, do you think the yearly crap we hear out of Orlando is productive? I'll say it once again, nobody likes to be told WHAT TO DO, especially from the 'enemy' media. Leavitt like most successful head coaches is a stubborn and proud man. Do you think if the table were turned O'Leary would take to playing games in the media?

You guys seem hell bent on manufactoring a rivalry. USF doesn't want the UCF game to be the most important game of the year. We want UL, wvu or even Syracuse to be that game. If the UCF-USF game continues to get played then it will naturally develop. No need to force it.....

BTW...do you want to put down a bet about how many posts before this thread gets thrown in the smack bin?

I'm saying 23....
07-30-2006 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Thats one important point CC, as member of a BCS conference even if it is the weakest one right now our teams are getting 1-1 deals with other BCS teams. I think a lot of the thinking is you have to be careful how you schedule nonBCS squads.
USF has signed 1-1 with
Miami- two of them
North Carolina
Kansas

USF could not do this before joining Big East.
Of course if USF offered UCF a 2-1 like Pitt offered they would be all up in arms and im sure Bianchi would come out with some stupid article. Forgetting once again how his Gators signed Miami to two games in Gainesville,one in Miami and one in Tampa.

I think the game vs UCF is worthwhile but NOT something we can not do without. If UCF feels the same way about it then they should stop crying to the media constantly about it.
07-30-2006 08:55 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Re: O'Leary Wants Bulls Yearly
WVU82 Wrote:TAMPA - UCF coach George O'Leary wants the University of South Florida

Sorry Honest George but The Big East has the Bulls and we don't plan on giving them up anytime soon. Tell your fans to quit moaning about The Big East and be happy all their conference games aren't in Michigan and Ohio anymore. lmfao lmfao lmfao
While your at it there Honest George let your fans know The Big East already has a program in Florida so we won't be needing another team in the Sunshine State. Tell them to look to Memphis or Greenville for the Big East's 9th program. 04-jawdrop
CJ
07-30-2006 09:03 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Cubanbull Wrote:Thats one important point CC, as member of a BCS conference even if it is the weakest one right now our teams are getting 1-1 deals with other BCS teams. I think a lot of the thinking is you have to be careful how you schedule nonBCS squads.
USF has signed 1-1 with
Miami- two of them
North Carolina
Kansas

Of course if USF offered UCF a 2-1 like Pitt offered they would be all up in arms and im sure Bianchi would come out with some stupid article. Forgetting once again how his Gators signed Miami to two games in Gainesville,one in Miami and one in Tampa.

I think the game vs UCF is worthwhile but NOT something we can not do without. If UCF feels the same way about it then they should stop crying to the media constantly about it.

Exactly. Prior to this UC was getting 2 for 1 deals with schools like Penn State, Wisconsin, Boston College, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, etc. They had to settle for a 3 for 1 with Ohio State! Since joining the Big East they have gotten home-and-home deals with NC State, Virginia Tech and Ohio State without a hassle. They cancelled a Georgia series because Georgia wanted a 2 for 1 deal. Even the Miami-FL series went to the wayside after UC joined the Big East. That is HUGE. With all of the spoils of the Big East schools like USF, Cincinnati and UConn have to improve their image and make it more national before they can make nearby "rivals" happy.
07-30-2006 09:06 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

Cubanbull Wrote:Thats one important point CC, as member of a BCS conference even if it is the weakest one right now our teams are getting 1-1 deals with other BCS teams. I think a lot of the thinking is you have to be careful how you schedule nonBCS squads.
USF has signed 1-1 with
Miami- two of them
North Carolina
Kansas

True...but the media (those in Tampa yesterday) asked Coach O'Leary what his thoughts were on the series.

Now if the MEDIA stopped asking the "question"...you probably wouldn't of seen at least 3 articles from state newspapers in FLA today talking about it.

KL
07-30-2006 09:07 AM
RaliLlama Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia

UCF knows how to get one and one games with the BCS eligible teams. UCF had a 2-1 deal with WVU. In 2003 they came to Morgantown. In 2004 WVU went to UCF. In 2005 UCF cancels the game. I suggest that none of the BE teams play UCF in anything, or Buffalo either, since they stuck it to us this year and if it happens to any other BE school in the future then we should do likewise.
07-30-2006 09:25 AM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

CatsClaw Wrote:Some of the same people were trashing Cincinnati talking about how it was a horrible program and nobody would play them. Yet Cincinnati has signed home-and-home series with North Carolina State and Virginia Tech. Cincinnati had a 3 for 1 deal with Ohio State that ends this year when UC goes to Ohio State. After that a straight-up home-and-home deal kicks in, a deal Cincinnati signed with Ohio State last year. The Big East schools are doing fine despite what people like to say.

Anytime you let a biased party with an obvious agenda dictate your scheduling you are asking for trouble.

UCF has a lot to gain whether or not we play them again.

If they lose the game and cleanup in a weak CDOA, the game means nothing.

If they win the game then they are supposedly "on par with a BCS team"

If the game doesn't get played UCF can tell recruits that USF is "ducking", but they will diminish the fact that they got trounced two years in a row.

OLiar can't win on the field so he is trying to win the media battle....oh those pesky, moral victory loving Tinmen.
07-30-2006 10:15 AM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American

CatsClaw Wrote:
USF has signed 1-1 with
Miami- two of them
North Carolina
Kansas

Exactly. Prior to this UC was getting 2 for 1 deals with schools like Penn State, Wisconsin, Boston College, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, etc. They had to settle for a 3 for 1 with Ohio State! Since joining the Big East they have gotten home-and-home deals with NC State, Virginia Tech and Ohio State without a hassle. They cancelled a Georgia series because Georgia wanted a 2 for 1 deal. Even the Miami-FL series went to the wayside after UC joined the Big East. That is HUGE. With all of the spoils of the Big East schools like USF, Cincinnati and UConn have to improve their image and make it more national before they can make nearby "rivals" happy.

Ohio was about to play a 2 for 2 series with UC back in the 90's but that is apparently also on the wayside.....there was a time when Ohio and UC were big rivals but not anymore.

Unless we join the Big East :shhh:
07-30-2006 10:35 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

CyberBull Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:Some of the same people were trashing Cincinnati talking about how it was a horrible program and nobody would play them. Yet Cincinnati has signed home-and-home series with North Carolina State and Virginia Tech. Cincinnati had a 3 for 1 deal with Ohio State that ends this year when UC goes to Ohio State. After that a straight-up home-and-home deal kicks in, a deal Cincinnati signed with Ohio State last year. The Big East schools are doing fine despite what people like to say.

Anytime you let a biased party with an obvious agenda dictate your scheduling you are asking for trouble.

UCF has a lot to gain whether or not we play them again.

If they lose the game and cleanup in a weak CDOA, the game means nothing.

If they win the game then they are supposedly "on par with a BCS team"

If the game doesn't get played UCF can tell recruits that USF is "ducking", but they will diminish the fact that they got trounced two years in a row.

OLiar can't win on the field so he is trying to win the media battle....oh those pesky, moral victory loving Tinmen.

You're assuming USF will win again this year? USF is ducking UCF! That's the point. UCF was your second highest attended gama aka it made you a bunch of money! Why wouldn't USF want it to continue. Its not like it really hurts USF to play the game. If you win, you have nothing to worry about. You establish your claim that your a superior program, if you lose it really doesn't matter as it doesn't effect your conference race. Same goes for UCF. UCF will never agree to play this game in the CB. UCF will make much more money playing in the on-campus stadium than with a sold out CB. We get all the money from parking, concessions, and ticket sales with the on campus stadium. We also don't want to alienate season ticket holders and box seat members by moving that game. If USF wants to play the game in the Citrus Bowl every year as a neutral site instead of alternating then thats fine, but we're not going to play at USF then at a neutral site the next year. USF needs to get over its arrogance.
07-30-2006 10:38 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Now this I won't complain about. At least in this thread, the UCF pissing match was the topic from the outset lmfao

RaliLlama Wrote:UCF knows how to get one and one games with the BCS eligible teams. UCF had a 2-1 deal with WVU. In 2003 they came to Morgantown. In 2004 WVU went to UCF. In 2005 UCF cancels the game. I suggest that none of the BE teams play UCF in anything, or Buffalo either, since they stuck it to us this year and if it happens to any other BE school in the future then we should do likewise.
Good observation Rali 04-bow
07-30-2006 10:50 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.