Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
syracuse gtown to keep rivalry
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
syracuse gtown to keep rivalry
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ll-rivalry

im really happy, a few months ago it looked like this series was toast. now we have retained gtown along with nova & sju.

this allows louisville & cuse to each have their major ooc rival and focus on each other for an in conference rivalry.

i think this puts to rest all the "syracuse doesnt play a tough ooc" comments
09-13-2013 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: syracuse gtown to keep rivalry
(09-13-2013 07:01 AM)john01992 Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ll-rivalry

im really happy, a few months ago it looked like this series was toast. now we have retained gtown along with nova & sju.

this allows louisville & cuse to each have their major ooc rival and focus on each other for an in conference rivalry.

Remains to be seen how tough these opponents will be. No one really knows what will happen to these programs now they have become mid-majors.

Ultimately I think the hoyas will be fine and I think as long as Lavin is the coach the johnnies will be fine. Villanova is the one I think most likely to slide into mediocrity.
09-13-2013 07:57 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(09-13-2013 07:57 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 07:01 AM)john01992 Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ll-rivalry

Remains to be seen how tough these opponents will be. No one really knows what will happen to these programs now they have become mid-majors.

Ultimately I think the hoyas will be fine and I think as long as Lavin is the coach the johnnies will be fine. Villanova is the one I think most likely to slide into mediocrity.

Are you saying that Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's are now becoming mid majors???
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 08:32 AM by Melky Cabrera.)
09-13-2013 08:31 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

I dont believe that many would view the BE schools as mid majors. Especially when they will probably, on a regular basis, place 4-6 teams in the tourney. It will be interesting to see how the American will be viewed though.
09-13-2013 08:42 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(09-13-2013 08:42 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

I dont believe that many would view the BE schools as mid majors. Especially when they will probably, on a regular basis, place 4-6 teams in the tourney. It will be interesting to see how the American will be viewed though.

Agreed. You can't view the "new" Big East as a mid-major, at least not yet anyway. 10 years from now if it goes as I expect they will remain a major conference in basketball.
09-13-2013 08:49 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

By definition schools without FBS football are mid-majors.
09-13-2013 09:01 AM
Advertisement

WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(09-13-2013 08:31 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

Are you saying that Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's are now becoming mid majors???

[Image: seriously-bro-troll-harder-thumb.jpg]
09-13-2013 09:01 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(09-13-2013 09:01 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  

Following that reasoning then the AAC is major and the Big East is not. And that's just silly.
09-13-2013 09:03 AM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(09-13-2013 09:03 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  

Following that reasoning then the AAC is major and the Big East is not. And that's just silly.

Do shoot the messenger. I did not write the definition.

"Mid-major is a term used in American Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the major six conferences (the American, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison)."
09-13-2013 09:06 AM
john01992 Offline

its hard to call gtown a mid major because that program is funded very well and has a lot of resources

nova & sju are in a downward trend and remains to be seen if they can get out of it.

however the theory that BE teams are subpar to FB schools does hold some weight to it.

the last time a "small time" football school won the NC was

louisville in 86 (they were still FBS at the time and are now big time FB)
nova in 85 (almost went FBS in football)
gtown 84 (is now FCS in football)
louisville in 80
quette 77
utep 66 (is now FBS)

since 1990 only 7 non FBS schools made the FF

that is some pretty scary stats for the big east, as well as new mexico, memphis, uconn, cincy and any other non p5 schools with solid bb. and i think the gap is only widening with the influx of money thats hitting the p5
09-13-2013 09:21 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(09-13-2013 09:06 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 09:03 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 07:57 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  Remains to be seen how tough these opponents will be. No one really knows what will happen to these programs now they have become mid-majors.

Do shoot the messenger. I did not write the definition.

"Mid-major is a term used in American Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the major six conferences (the American, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison)."

The definitions are being changed right before our very eyes. Is the American still one of the 6 major conferences, going forward? Is there still a sixth major conference?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 10:14 AM by cuseroc.)
09-13-2013 10:07 AM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

Not familiar with that definition. Link?
09-13-2013 10:26 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

Basketball wise there are only 11 conferences that will be consistent multi-bid leagues. I'd classify those as majors.

High-Majors
ACC
B1G

Mid-Majors
American
Big East
Big XII
MWC
Pac-12
SEC

Low-Majors
A-10
C-USA
WCC

That's 49 of 68 teams in last year's NCAA Tourney. That's 72% of the field.
09-13-2013 10:29 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Good for them; glad to see it. I wish WVU/Pitt would keep theirs in FB even if it was in Pittsburgh every year. I will continue to miss that one for sure; the Cuse also.
09-13-2013 10:35 AM
john01992 Offline

(09-13-2013 10:26 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

he doesnt need one, do a simple google search, its been common knowledge for a long time.

a major is a school that didnt belong to the big east, big 10, big 12, sec, pac12, or acc.
a high major is an FBS school not in one of those conferences
a mid major is a non FBS bb school

since the big east split both the AAC & big east lost major status.

the aac will be a major for one final year before becoming a high major
the big east is now a mid major

the bb schools in the big east were defined as majors because they were non FB members of a BCS conference. a mid major is a football standard not a bb standard.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 10:41 AM by john01992.)
09-13-2013 10:36 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(09-13-2013 09:21 AM)john01992 Wrote:  its hard to call gtown a mid major because that program is funded very well and has a lot of resources

nova & sju are in a downward trend and remains to be seen if they can get out of it.

however the theory that BE teams are subpar to FB schools does hold some weight to it.

louisville in 80
quette 77
utep 66 (is now FBS)

that is some pretty scary stats for the big east, as well as new mexico, memphis, uconn, cincy and any other non p5 schools with solid bb. and i think the gap is only widening with the influx of money thats hitting the p5

Nova and St. John's are in a downward trend? Come on, John, pay attention.

As for NC, you missed a few:

1990 - UNLV
1999 - UConn
2004 - UConn

But seriously how many times have schools that were not multi-champion blue bloods not won a NC?

2003 - Syracuse
2002 - Maryland
1997 - Arizona
1994 - Arkansas

That's only 4 in the last 20 years, none within the past 10 years I guess everyone better worry, not just the non-p5 schools.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 10:56 AM by Melky Cabrera.)
09-13-2013 10:39 AM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(09-13-2013 10:36 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 10:26 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 07:57 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  Remains to be seen how tough these opponents will be. No one really knows what will happen to these programs now they have become mid-majors.

he doesnt need one, do a simple google search, its been common knowledge for a long time.

a mid-major is a school that didnt belong to the big east, big 10, big 12, sec, pac12, or acc.

since the big east split both the AAC & big east lost non-mid major status. (although some still call the AAC a mid major for this year at least until LV & RU leave)

the bb schools in the big east were defined as non-mid majors because they played so many football schools in conference. a mid major is a football standard not a bb standard.

What in the world is "non-mid major status"??? 03-lmfao

Did you actually make that up or is there a google link to that too?

Actually the google article to which you're referring doesn't say what he claimed a "mid major" is. The article acknowledges that it is a vague, widely debated term with no agreed upon definition and whose origination had absolutely nothing to do with football.

Not that google is ever the last word on anything. It's wrong so often, it would have to be categorized as a "mid major source of information".
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013 10:54 AM by Melky Cabrera.)
09-13-2013 10:48 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

The article says that a game at MSG is being considered at Georgetown's suggestion..

Why in the world would Syracuse want to give up its enormous home court advantage at the Dome for a game on what could hardly be described as a neutral court. Georgetown is closer to MSG, has better transportation access, and has tons of alumni in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area. I can't imagine SU going for that proposal.
09-13-2013 10:52 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(09-13-2013 10:52 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

The article says that a game at MSG is being considered at Georgetown's suggestion..

Why in the world would Syracuse want to give up its enormous home court advantage at the Dome for a game on what could hardly be described as a neutral court. Georgetown is closer to MSG, has better transportation access, and has tons of alumni in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area. I can't imagine SU going for that proposal.

Once again a Uconn fan derails a thread about SU. 03-banghead

But just show me one instance where Gtown fans have come close to outnumbering SU fans at the Garden for a game.
09-13-2013 10:58 AM
john01992 Offline

(09-13-2013 10:39 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 09:21 AM)john01992 Wrote:  its hard to call gtown a mid major because that program is funded very well and has a lot of resources

louisville in 80
quette 77
utep 66 (is now FBS)

Nova and St. John'sare in a downward trend? Come on, John, pay attention.

As for NC, you missed a few:

1990 - UNLV
1999 - UConn
2004 - UConn

But seriously how many times have schools that were not multi-champion blue bloods not won a NC?

2003 - Syracusw
2002 - Maryland
2000 - Michigan
1997 - Arizona
1994 - Arkansas

That's only 5 in the last 20 years. I guess everyone better worry, not just the non-p5 schools.

UNLV was FBS since its inception
uconn turned FBS/BCS in 2000

i misses them but you cant say those are BB only schools.

and FYI there are 6 clear cut blue bloods (UK, ku, duke, unc, ucla, iu.) changing that definition to "multi championships" is a pretty dumb way to group schools. the non bluebloods who have won are

-florida
-michigan state
-uconn
-syracuse
-arizona
-arkansas
-michigan
-louisville
-maryland

whats makes the BE worry is that gtown, sju, & nova have solid history that is as good as those schools but havent been able to match their performance

looking at final fours since 1990 of non blue bloods power schools
-florida
-michigan state
-uconn
-syracuse
-arizona
-arkansas
-michigan
-louisville
-ohio state
-west virginia
-lsu
-illinois
-oklahoma state
-georgia tech
-texas
-oklahoma
-maryland
-wisconsin
-stanford
-minnesota
-mississippi state
-stanford
-villanova*
-georgetown*

non bcs/high major
-unlv
-utah
-memphis
-Cincinnati

non FBS/mid majors
umass**
whitcha state
butler
vcu
george mason
marquette

*nova/gtown were majors when they made a FF but are now mid majors
**umass was a mid major when they made a FF but is now a high major

-you can see my point that the mid majors have some cause for concern
09-13-2013 11:01 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.