Open TigerLinks

The media bias against C-USA/Memphis continues
Bookmark and Share
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
The media bias against C-USA/Memphis continues
They can't discuss the possibility of two 8-0 conference teams going head to head without taking a dig.

From Eamonn Brennan (long time anti-C-USA and anti-Memphis hack) at ESPN writing about the "10 Places To Be This Week" in college basketball:

Hattiesburg, Miss. (Memphis at Southern Miss): Don't look now, but Southern Miss -- which Larry Eustachy took to the tournament last season -- is arguably just as good this season and 7-0 in C-USA play to date. In fact, it's not clear whether obvious league favorite Memphis is in fact better than the Golden Eagles; Southern Miss ranks No. 34 in KenPom.com's adjusted efficiency rankings, while Memphis is No. 54. (Memphis is ranked higher in the BPI.) Big, big game -- or at least as big as C-USA games can be.

Never would that dig be directed at any "big 6" conference game or a conference game among top teams from the MWC, the MVC, the A-10, the WCC or even some conference like the Horizon or the Colonial. He and the rest of his sports media cabal buddies know it is the cute thing to do to rip on C-USA hoops and has been since 2005-06 and they just keep on doing it. It's no different as the same hacks that write story after story ripping on the Big East hoping that it collapses as soon as possible. They are sheep trapped in their own echo chamber all reading each other's tweets and columns and listening to each other on their radio shows. And they think they are the smartest and the most original because they continue to spout the same crap over and over and over.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 11:05 PM by JMSTiger.)
02-04-2013 10:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: The media bias against C-USA/Memphis continues
We only have ourself too blame. If we would let the other guys win a few, they would look better and; therefore, the games would seem bigger to the hacks.
02-04-2013 11:03 PM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
biggest test for us since the lville game, picture donald trump saying huge game
02-04-2013 11:04 PM
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Zzzzzzzzzz
02-04-2013 11:05 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
is this guy a big deal or something?
02-04-2013 11:18 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

My attempts at stirring up anger at media hacks is clearly not working. I give up.
02-04-2013 11:20 PM
Advertisement

OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
(02-04-2013 11:20 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  My attempts at stirring up anger at media hacks is clearly not working. I give up.

need to take lessons from btiger

somewhere tonight btiger is smiling
02-04-2013 11:29 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
(02-04-2013 11:20 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  My attempts at stirring up anger at media hacks is clearly not working. I give up.

F 'em.
I think we are just used to it and expect nothing less (or should I say nothing more).
All we can do is prove them wrong on the court. But, when all the CUSA teams go and drop their 1st game in the dance, we do nothing but add fuel to the fire.
F 'em.
02-04-2013 11:33 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

(02-04-2013 11:29 PM)OneShiningMoment Wrote:  

need to take lessons from btiger

somewhere tonight btiger is smiling

I wasn't trying to make fools of people to get a laugh. I actually am a media hack conspiratorialist that is trying to convert others to my point of view. Don't you realize they are out to get us?
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 11:37 PM by JMSTiger.)
02-04-2013 11:37 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

Jerry Palm is another one of the hacks. There are many of these slowleaks in our local sports media, but I won't name names because I know many of you lap up their propaganda.
02-04-2013 11:39 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I just stopped giving a **** during the cal years about the media.
02-04-2013 11:40 PM
Advertisement

Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-04-2013 10:59 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  They can't discuss the possibility of two 8-0 conference teams going head to head without taking a dig.

From Eamonn Brennan (long time anti-C-USA and anti-Memphis hack) at ESPN writing about the "10 Places To Be This Week" in college basketball:

Hattiesburg, Miss. (Memphis at Southern Miss): Don't look now, but Southern Miss -- which Larry Eustachy took to the tournament last season -- is arguably just as good this season and 7-0 in C-USA play to date. In fact, it's not clear whether obvious league favorite Memphis is in fact better than the Golden Eagles; Southern Miss ranks No. 34 in KenPom.com's adjusted efficiency rankings, while Memphis is No. 54. (Memphis is ranked higher in the BPI.) Big, big game -- or at least as big as C-USA games can be.

Never would that dig be directed at any "big 6" conference game or a conference game among top teams from the MWC, the MVC, the A-10, the WCC or even some conference like the Horizon or the Colonial. He and the rest of his sports media cabal buddies know it is the cute thing to do to rip on C-USA hoops and has been since 2005-06 and they just keep on doing it. It's no different as the same hacks that write story after story ripping on the Big East hoping that it collapses as soon as possible. They are sheep trapped in their own echo chamber all reading each other's tweets and columns and listening to each other on their radio shows. And they think they are the smartest and the most original because they continue to spout the same crap over and over and over.

Nice post, I agree fully
02-04-2013 11:40 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

(02-04-2013 11:40 PM)fsquid Wrote:  I just stopped giving a **** during the cal years about the media.

You're a better man than me.

You know what's interesting is that we all thought we would gain more respect by moving into the Big East, but the same media hacks that love to tear down C-USA basketball also enjoy ripping on what the Big East has become. We will continue to get it. I predict that now Memphis has left C-USA, the attacks on C-USA will become less and less. Part of this will be due to the fact that C-USA will have become fairly irrelevant, but part will be due to the fact that Memphis is no longer there to kick around.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 11:44 PM by JMSTiger.)
02-04-2013 11:44 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-04-2013 11:39 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  Jerry Palm is another one of the hacks. There are many of these slowleaks in our local sports media, but I won't name names because I know many of you lap up their propaganda.

I don't. Please name them, or at least pm them to me.
02-04-2013 11:44 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

(02-04-2013 11:44 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 11:39 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  Jerry Palm is another one of the hacks. There are many of these slowleaks in our local sports media, but I won't name names because I know many of you lap up their propaganda.

I don't. Please name them, or at least pm them to me.

You know who they are.
02-04-2013 11:45 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

the attacks on cusa will be less because they won't even register. they are the OVC
02-04-2013 11:45 PM
Advertisement

JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

(02-04-2013 11:45 PM)fsquid Wrote:  the attacks on cusa will be less because they won't even register. they are the OVC

That's partially true. But, there is also something that gets these people off by ripping a particular conference and a particular program that dominates that conference in hoops. When UNLV was dominating the Big West or Gonzaga was dominating the WCC or Butler was having its way with the Horizon, we never saw those programs or conferences taking constant abuse and slights. You never read numerous predictions about highly seeded Butler or Gonzaga or UNLV teams getting taken down by 13, 14, 15, even 16 seeded teams in the first round of the Dance. No, they saved that for one program only.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 11:52 PM by JMSTiger.)
02-04-2013 11:51 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

Don't get me wrong. I realize there is a general bias throughout the college sports media complex against non-"big 6" programs of all shapes and sizes (although I think Gonzaga and Butler get special treatment). You see the way hacks like Cyclops Vitale get worked into a lather when a non-"big 6" program like UAB or VCU gets one of the last tickets to the Dance instead of a mediocre Virginia Tech or some such. But, it does seem that they have a special place in their hearts for good old Memphis and C-USA.
02-04-2013 11:59 PM
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I feel your pain.

and I couldn't agree more with this part:

(02-04-2013 10:59 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  They are sheep trapped in their own echo chamber all reading each other's tweets and columns and listening to each other on their radio shows. And they think they are the smartest and the most original because they continue to spout the same crap over and over and over.

Sounds a lot like some of the posters here, doesn't it?
02-05-2013 12:16 AM
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It all started in Horn Lake
02-05-2013 12:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.