Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC schools want in B12...
Topkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheCats
ACC schools want in B12...
This is the first words I have heard from an actual source other than tweet rumors, etc.

You can be sure the ACC is heating up the phone lines trying to line up schools to come into the ACC, if needed.

Should be interesting with the numbers being tossed about for the BE media deal. Should be a hot summer.

TCU AD
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 02:46 PM by Topkat.)
05-23-2012 02:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HornLakeTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: ACC schools want in B12...
SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! #oldnews
05-23-2012 02:42 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
I don't think this was anything. Here's a follow up from the FWST:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/05/23/...ifies.html

Del Conte told the Star-Telegram he was not substantiating the rumors. The radio host interjected Miami into the group of schools rumored to be mulling a move to the Big 12. Del Conte said he was just referring to the rumors when he mentioned that Miami and others were interested in joining during the breakfast gathering, which came after the radio interview.

“If you listen to the radio interview my comments were in reference to where [the Big 12] was a year ago and now we’re being talked about by all these schools,” Del Conte said. “It’s gratifying because a year ago we were talking about the Big 12 not being around. It’s just remarkable the transformation in less than a year. That’s all I was addressing.”
05-23-2012 03:00 PM
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
http://outkickthecoverage.com/accs-swoff...-miami.php

Quote:Swofford also said he would be disappointed if any universities were not being straightforward with him, "Yeah, we’ve got a league in which, you know, people sit in a room and talk very forthrightly with each other. There’s a lot of respect within the room, there is a lot of trust within the room, and on this particular subject, and by the subject I mean conference affiliation, I think we’ve all learned, or should have over the last two or three years that there are an awful lot of things put out there that have no foundation or basis of truth and often times are irresponsible in being out there in the first place. That is part of the world we live in unfortunately. Consequently what I pay attention to, and what we pay attention to in this league are what is said from our presidents and their AD’s and quite honestly I have talked to each of those presidents within the last 48 hours and that’s not at all what I’m hearing from our schools."

Funny how after what happened with Pitt and Syracuse with the Big East, now he wants all his schools to be straight forward with him.
05-23-2012 05:56 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Swofford straight forward LOL. He is getting exactly what he has been dishing out in past.
05-23-2012 05:59 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
well "some" were talking about Penn St and BC to the BE not long ago. That doesnt mean it had a chance of happening or that the schools and the BE were actually talking. Just like someone saying there's talk about the B12 adding FSU. Miami and Clemson means it actually happened
05-23-2012 06:03 PM
Advertisement

General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Guy's a terrible liar.
05-23-2012 06:13 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Well the reality is that it was Swofford who actually led to the ACC to be in this position by signing the last ACC contract for such a long time and for the amount they did.so he was the dumb ass
05-23-2012 06:17 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
There is still no definite commitment or announcement that any ACC team wants to join the Big 12. Time will prove or disprove the rumors.

Interesting however, now that TCU is in the Big 12 their AD doesn't think the conference should rush into expansion.
05-23-2012 09:51 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(05-23-2012 05:59 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Swofford straight forward LOL. He is getting exactly what he has been dishing out in past.

LOL, thats what I find to be ironic. He meets with the BE commish along with the Big 12 comish and both of them come back and stab him in the back by poaching his league. Now he is worried about the same thing happening to him. For what its worth though, I dont think theres anything really to these rumors, other than that uninformed idiot BOT member from FSU. But it would be quite funny to see that guy (Swofford) squirm. Even though SU is heading to the Acc, I will never like the guy for what he has been doing to the BE.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 10:01 PM by cuseroc.)
05-23-2012 10:00 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Quote from Clemson BOT meeting today:

Quote:“We tried to separate the facts from the rumors,. This board is very committed to Clemson athletics and Clemson sports. We want Clemson teams to be the best they can be. We are very interested in a football program that is excelling at a high level, and we would consider, as we should, any viable option from any conference if we received any. We have not received any. In the meantime we are committed to working to make the ACC the strongest conference possible. We took no votes and took no action, we just had a general discussion about the lay of the land.”

“If we were contacted by a conference, we would obviously listen to what they had to say. And then we would make a reasonable decision. We aren’t seeking that, and we aren’t making any overtures about that. I think we have a responsibility to consider any viable component that would come our way. But we haven’t been contacted by anybody. We just want Clemson athletics to be the best they can be. This board is committed to Clemson athletics.”

Translation: B12 - please call us ASAP!
05-24-2012 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(05-24-2012 08:07 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Quote from Clemson BOT meeting today:

Quote:“We tried to separate the facts from the rumors,. This board is very committed to Clemson athletics and Clemson sports. We want Clemson teams to be the best they can be. We are very interested in a football program that is excelling at a high level, and we would consider, as we should, any viable option from any conference if we received any. We have not received any. In the meantime we are committed to working to make the ACC the strongest conference possible. We took no votes and took no action, we just had a general discussion about the lay of the land.”

“If we were contacted by a conference, we would obviously listen to what they had to say. And then we would make a reasonable decision. We aren’t seeking that, and we aren’t making any overtures about that. I think we have a responsibility to consider any viable component that would come our way. But we haven’t been contacted by anybody. We just want Clemson athletics to be the best they can be. This board is committed to Clemson athletics.”

Yup. Although I'd go so far as to translate it as we're just doing all the legalese talking we have to until stuff is official.
05-24-2012 08:18 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(05-24-2012 08:18 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 08:07 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Quote from Clemson BOT meeting today:

Yup. Although I'd go so far as to translate it as we're just doing all the legalese talking we have to until stuff is official.

It is CYA so they don't burn any bridges in the ACC in case there is a lawsuit. If there is a B12 invite, these guys will be out the door so fast no one would blink.

Clemson should just man up like UL did and say if B12 comes calling, we are gone.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 08:35 PM by SF Husky.)
05-24-2012 08:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Of course they want in the B12....it's realy obvious now the ACC is on the outside looking in, with the Big East
05-24-2012 09:09 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Quote: “If we were contacted by a conference, we would obviously listen to what they had to say. And then we would make a reasonable decision. We aren’t seeking that, and we aren’t making any overtures about that. I think we have a responsibility to consider any viable component that would come our way. But we haven’t been contacted by anybody. We just want Clemson athletics to be the best they can be. This board is committed to Clemson athletics.”

Pro-expansion translation: We're going to the B12, if they invite us.

Anti-expansion translation: Every school in the ACC or the BE would say exactly the same thing, if the right opportunity came along.
05-24-2012 09:13 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Swofford showed up on Clemson's campus, hoping to make a pitch at Thursday's BOT meeting, trying to keep the ACC membership stable. But the obviously pro-Big XII crowd was thick, laughing derisively at him, and blocked his path so much that he gave up and didn't try to enter...
05-26-2012 06:28 PM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
I can't help but give major props to the Big XII. Just less than 12 months ago they were looking like the biggest joke of a conference in the country. They were seriously just hanging by a thread, if that. Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, etc., were looking like they might be having to go to the Big East. Flash forward to today and somehow they've reaffirmed their top 4 big boy status.
05-26-2012 06:30 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(05-26-2012 06:30 PM)Comet Wrote:  I can't help but give major props to the Big XII. Just less than 12 months ago they were looking like the biggest joke of a conference in the country. They were seriously just hanging by a thread, if that. Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, etc., were looking like they might be having to go to the Big East. Flash forward to today and somehow they've reaffirmed their top 4 big boy status.

that's the power of tent pole programs like Texas and OU digging in and staying put
05-26-2012 07:03 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-26-2012 07:03 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(05-26-2012 06:30 PM)Comet Wrote:  I can't help but give major props to the Big XII. Just less than 12 months ago they were looking like the biggest joke of a conference in the country. They were seriously just hanging by a thread, if that. Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, etc., were looking like they might be having to go to the Big East. Flash forward to today and somehow they've reaffirmed their top 4 big boy status.

that's the power of tent pole programs like Texas and OU digging in and staying put
Yep. That conference teetered on the brink of extinction in the summers of both 2010 and 2011. Now in 2012, they are on top of the world, for the same reasons they almost crumbled: UT and OU.
05-26-2012 07:23 PM
Ottoman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: syracuse
(05-26-2012 06:28 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Swofford showed up on Clemson's campus, hoping to make a pitch at Thursday's BOT meeting, trying to keep the ACC membership stable. But the obviously pro-Big XII crowd was thick, laughing derisively at him, and blocked his path so much that he gave up and didn't try to enter...

SYR and PItt were joining the ACC for FB security. If Clemson and FSU leave, there's not much reason for these teams to join the ACC.
05-27-2012 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.