Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise and Memphis still on Big 12 radar?
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Boise and Memphis still on Big 12 radar?
(10-28-2021 12:15 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(10-28-2021 11:49 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Got to wonder who'd step in for Memphis in the American if anybody. I'm leaning GSU, but if they lose USF as well, I don't think FIU replaces them. Not sure if they go WKU or MTSU or even LA Tech.

I assume by GSU you mean Georgia St. I'm not sure how wise it would be to leave the Sun Belt for the American should Memphis and/or South Florida leave for greener pastures. The Sun Belt seems to be in an equal, if not healthier, position.

If only Memphis leaves: Louisiana Tech
If only South Florida leaves: Florida International
If both leave: either remain at 12 or add both

Eh - assuming that only one of those schools leave, the AAC is still better with SMU, Temple, Navy (football-only) and Wichita State (non-football). I don't buy that the Sun Belt is in an equal position at all - the on-the-field results might be better in the Sun Belt in a particular season, but the AAC definitely has long-term structural, institutional and financial advantages over the Sun Belt regardless of win-loss records (which is what conference realignment is really about). The AAC will have poaching power over the Sun Belt for the foreseeable future.

The AAC has shown what it cares about: schools located *directly* in large markets. Period. We can debate whether that's a good strategy or not, but it should be very clear from this past expansion that this is how they view their league.

So, Georgia State and FIU would fit that profile. It would be a matter of whether the AAC wants to get into the Atlanta market or double up on South Florida (the market, not the school). Louisiana Tech simply doesn't fit the profile - that school is in a very tough position.
10-28-2021 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boise and Memphis still on Big 12 radar? - Frank the Tank - 10-28-2021 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.