'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown
(03-04-2020 01:18 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(03-04-2020 12:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-04-2020 12:43 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(03-04-2020 11:55 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-04-2020 11:43 AM)No Bull Wrote:  Covid death rate higher than previously thought

World health officials said Tuesday the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.
“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

this is why % = 0 when defining vs. actual numbers....

in this case, not only does it distort the data set, but it skews the fact that those that have died were mostly immunodeficient, or on their way out the door due to cell division.....

until I see a 'pandemic' that challenges every age group in the same % range, I'm in the camp of 'wtfe'...

Yep, I'm stil wondering why the media loves to report the next death or the new mortality rate but never seems to break that down to the actual impacted population. I guess fear still sells.

Im not sure I follow here. Yes, the older population is most at risk---but thats the case with most any health issue. Is your theory that the US and other countries should not make any effort to contain the virus since it will only ravage the older population?

I dont think any country is going to make a decision to just throw the older population under the bus like that. Most everyone still has parents or grand parents who are living---perhaps both. Thus, decision makers are still going to care about a health issue like that. Something to keep in mind----them old folks are the ones that who reliably show up at the polls in November. So--given those two facts---you end up with the kind of fairly extreme virus control efforts you see across the world right now.

The reality is there is going to be disruption. On the up side---this is a one year issue. Once we get to next year---we will have a vaccine that will allow everything to largely go back to normal.

No, not at all. I was going to address that im my previous post but thought it wouldn't be necessary. That's my bad. Of course everything should be done to prevent any population of people from dying However, there's a reason we are seeing lots and lots of young people wearing masks and masks are selling out everywhere it seems That's due to the media. In reality, it's good the media is reporting but just wish it would rationalize some of the details instead of casting a global net and scaring the crap out of everyone.

My feeling is this isnt the "big one" (someone made a similar statement earlier and I agree). No reason to pretend it is. That said---it aint the flu either. If it were just allowed to spread like the flu---we'd see deaths that far outstrip the flu. Novid-19 a serious health issue--and thus far--I think the US is handling it pretty reasonably.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2020 02:58 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-04-2020 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'This time I'm scared': experts fear too late for China virus lockdown - Attackcoog - 03-04-2020 02:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.