ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

US News Rankings
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
RE: US News Rankings
(09-21-2023 05:52 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  The school needs to find a way to incentivize students with minimal qualifications to go to TCC first. Beyond guaranteeing admission, perhaps some kind of tuition break. A TCC scholarship.

What about a small tuition reduction for each year a student completes?

Think of it this way. They go to TCC, get their associates and join the workforce. ODU gets to collect zero tuition when they could have gotten 2 years or more. We should never be directing prospective students elsewhere unless they are absolutely guaranteed to fail their first semester. What we need is to keep the students we do have from leaving. There must be a culture where graduation is expected the day new freshmen arrive.

I like your idea about reducing tuition for re-enrolling. That would likely change some minds.
09-21-2023 08:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(09-21-2023 08:25 PM)ODU2017 Wrote:  
(09-21-2023 05:52 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  The school needs to find a way to incentivize students with minimal qualifications to go to TCC first. Beyond guaranteeing admission, perhaps some kind of tuition break. A TCC scholarship.

What about a small tuition reduction for each year a student completes?

Think of it this way. They go to TCC, get their associates and join the workforce. ODU gets to collect zero tuition when they could have gotten 2 years or more. We should never be directing prospective students elsewhere unless they are absolutely guaranteed to fail their first semester. What we need is to keep the students we do have from leaving. There must be a culture where graduation is expected the day new freshmen arrive.

I like your idea about reducing tuition for re-enrolling. That would likely change some minds.

But we should also be desirable enough to fill a full freshman class without dipping into the pool of those with “minimal qualifications” That’s literally a big part of what Community College is for. Those folks can transfer into ODU in 2 years if they wish. We’d be better off trying to convince more qualified, degree seeking kids to enroll at ODU instead of VCU, or Radford, or GMU or Longwood or CNU etc.
09-21-2023 08:50 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Interesting article in todays' V-P, front page. Says ODU has decreased acceptance rate from roughly 95% to about 90% and has accepted a record number of high achieving freshmen from around the state.

This is very good news. Not to mention the new school of maritime something or another.

Moving in right direction!
10-11-2023 09:50 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2023 09:50 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Interesting article in todays' V-P, front page. Says ODU has decreased acceptance rate from roughly 95% to about 90% and has accepted a record number of high achieving freshmen from around the state.

This is very good news. Not to mention the new school of maritime something or another.

Couldn't find the article, but did see elsewhere that ODU was able to recruit 22 Valedictorians or salutatorians in the incoming freshman class. That is good. Not sure what the number was before, but apparently this is a better number than in the past. First Ive seen of the increased selectivity. That is good thing for rankings, and should help provide an even better experience for those who get in, as in theory, they'll be working alongside of and networking with more studious individuals.

On a related note, I saw the yellow Rams up 64 started a new program that gives guaranteed admission to anyone with a 3.5 or better. Im sure that was the case anyway, but its a pretty good marketing gimmick. We may want to try something similar to entice those students to come our way.
10-11-2023 10:17 AM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(10-11-2023 10:17 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-11-2023 09:50 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Interesting article in todays' V-P, front page. Says ODU has decreased acceptance rate from roughly 95% to about 90% and has accepted a record number of high achieving freshmen from around the state.

Couldn't find the article, but did see elsewhere that ODU was able to recruit 22 Valedictorians or salutatorians in the incoming freshman class. That is good. Not sure what the number was before, but apparently this is a better number than in the past. First Ive seen of the increased selectivity. That is good thing for rankings, and should help provide an even better experience for those who get in, as in theory, they'll be working alongside of and networking with more studious individuals.

On a related note, I saw the yellow Rams up 64 started a new program that gives guaranteed admission to anyone with a 3.5 or better. Im sure that was the case anyway, but its a pretty good marketing gimmick. We may want to try something similar to entice those students to come our way.

Pilot Article: ODU rethinks admissions: Lower acceptance rate and a closer look at GPA
10-11-2023 10:44 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Last sentence on first page and 1st sentence on page 2.
10-11-2023 10:46 AM
Sithlord Offline
2nd String

Here’s the ODU article which might have additional info.

https://www.odu.edu/article/odu-sets-new...0students.
10-11-2023 10:58 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2023 10:58 AM)Sithlord Wrote:  

Here’s the ODU article which might have additional info.

https://www.odu.edu/article/odu-sets-new...0students.

Interesting that the increase in admissions standards resulted in 400 fewer incoming students. The trick now is to get back to full capacity, only with 400 additional students who meet the improved requirements. That will take improving campus/student experiences to improve the word of mouth reputation/brand and a good marketing push.
10-11-2023 12:06 PM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Glad we're finally seeing some positive momentum on this front. 95% acceptance is bonkers. Hopefully this moves the needle on grad rate.
10-11-2023 02:33 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

If you can't give them a reduction, at lease guarantee no tuition increases. That would be a great marketing sound bite.
10-11-2023 04:47 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2023 04:47 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  If you can't give them a reduction, at lease guarantee no tuition increases. That would be a great marketing sound bite.

We’re already the cheapest. People want quality too, and this move leans in that direction. Affordability only gets you so far. I do know they’ve increased the scholarships for valedictorians, so this is probably a result of that. Scholarships are very important
10-11-2023 06:11 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

So what if we look at academic applicants similar to athletes. If you're just good enough you can come (walk on) and if you're a little better you get a academic scholarship (athletic scholarship) and if you're special, you get a NIL offer.

Currently I don't think there is anything comparable to the NIL for academics.

Some heavily endowed schools might pay some top students to enroll. Is this something we should be considering, even to a small degree? Paying perks to attract top level students sounds reasonable to me.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 08:59 AM by Old Dominion.)
10-12-2023 08:58 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2023 08:58 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  So what if we look at academic applicants similar to athletes. If you're just good enough you can come (walk on) and if you're a little better you get a academic scholarship (athletic scholarship) and if you're special, you get a NIL offer.

Currently I don't think there is anything comparable to the NIL for academics.

Some heavily endowed schools might pay some top students to enroll. Is this something we should be considering, even to a small degree? Paying perks to attract top level students sounds reasonable to me.

Some top students are awarded grants as well as scholarships. You can keep the grant money to use for whatever purpose you wish. And you can get more than one grant or scholarship, so in effect get paid by the left over money after tuition/r&b is paid. When it comes to grad school, many students get "graduate assistantships" or "Teaching Assistant" gigs. Those are flexible in what they pay, and are definitely used (at least at some places) as incentive for a student to enroll there.
10-12-2023 09:19 AM
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

This is fantastic news. Runte did this back in the day. They raised standards for acceptance and admissions soared. Then Broderick came in and lowered to the - "we take all" approach and things declined rapidly. Glad to see we were moving back in the right direction. It's a shame we wasted 20 years of positive growth.
10-12-2023 10:21 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-12-2023 10:21 AM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  This is fantastic news. Runte did this back in the day. They raised standards for acceptance and admissions soared. Then Broderick came in and lowered to the - "we take all" approach and things declined rapidly. Glad to see we were moving back in the right direction. It's a shame we wasted 20 years of positive growth.

Dr. Koch, and Dr. Runte definitely seemed to prioritize academics and student experience more than Broderick (though he should get most of the credit for the EVMS merger). Jury is still out on Dr. Hemphill, but so far so good for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 10:37 AM by monarx.)
10-12-2023 10:29 AM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 10:29 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-12-2023 10:21 AM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  This is fantastic news. Runte did this back in the day. They raised standards for acceptance and admissions soared. Then Broderick came in and lowered to the - "we take all" approach and things declined rapidly. Glad to see we were moving back in the right direction. It's a shame we wasted 20 years of positive growth.

Dr. Koch, and Dr. Runte definitely seemed to prioritize academics and student experience more than Broderick (though he should get most of the credit for the EVMS merger). Jury is still out on Dr. Hemphill, but so far so good for the most part.

Of course education is the top priority, but the best president in the sports area was president Dr. Runte.
10-13-2023 05:21 PM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(10-13-2023 05:21 PM)bluelight Wrote:  

Of course education is the top priority, but the best president in the sports area was president Dr. Runte.

I would re-word that to "the president during in the best (arguably) sports area." No offense to her, outside of keeping public appearances she was practically not involved. One could argue that their was very little oversight/governance past Jarrett.
10-13-2023 05:47 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Why should Broderick get any credit for EVMS?
10-13-2023 07:30 PM
ODU2011 Offline
1st String

(10-13-2023 07:30 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

Is there credit that should be given anywhere? What’s the latest? Apologies if I missed it elsewhere. Exciting stuff.
10-13-2023 07:43 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(10-13-2023 07:43 PM)ODU2011 Wrote:  
(10-13-2023 07:30 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

Is there credit that should be given anywhere? What’s the latest? Apologies if I missed it elsewhere. Exciting stuff.

It becomes official on Jan. 1, 2024.
https://www.odu.edu/article/state-suppor...ve-forward
10-13-2023 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.