Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: NEW stadium construction
(03-13-2018 02:52 PM)jasdf Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 02:51 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 01:44 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 01:20 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 09:53 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Facts

Here are the facts, if we take 10 steps backwards to the CAA...

Sept 22, 2018 vs Virginia Tech = Party
Sept 25, 2021 vs New Hampshire = 03-zzz

The New Hampsire game itself will be better and more fun. In fact, last time they were here for football, it ranked in the top 5 of best athletic events I have ever attended. VT is going to take over our campus and beat us by 30+. They have the fan base depth to buy tickets on stubhub for $500 a pop. A lot of people I have talked to are thinking of getting season tickets this year because they know selling for this single game will pay for them. I even know a die hard Hokies fan buying season tickets. The rest of the games might have a lot of empty seats.

I feel like I'm in a bizzaro world. I can't believe we have people begging to get VT/UVA to the Ted, and then they turn around and would rather have UNH come to SB Ballard instead of the Hokies.

From a scheduling standpoint If you can't understand the difference between playing D1 basketball ,and playing FBS football than I just don't know what to tell you. Let's just start with the post season for example when discussing the differences.....

I understand this: By hook or by crook, we cannot seem to get VT/UVA/any power conference team to play us at the Ted. We have had a LOT of success convincing P5 teams to play at SB Ballard. What boggles my mind is how flippantly some seem to be willing to throw that away.
03-13-2018 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Can't Tame the Lion Online
Special Teams

(03-13-2018 09:53 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 09:07 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Football is a tailgate party. We can do that in any conference. We don't compete for anything and we will NEVER be in a New Years Day bowl. Not even Marshall or WKU are competing for that. It would take an $5M coaching investment at least to get to that level. It would take an undefeated season (to include beating the ACC schools on the schedule) and blue chip recruits. You have stars in your eyes and I get it, but need to come back down to reality a bit. The last 2 years is what we are going to get in football. If we schedule enough cupcakes and the conference sucks bad enough, we go to a bowl.

Facts

The New Hampsire game itself will be better and more fun. In fact, last time they were here for football, it ranked in the top 5 of best athletic events I have ever attended. VT is going to take over our campus and beat us by 30+. They have the fan base depth to buy tickets on stubhub for $500 a pop. A lot of people I have talked to are thinking of getting season tickets this year because they know selling for this single game will pay for them. I even know a die hard Hokies fan buying season tickets. The rest of the games might have a lot of empty seats.

I feel like I'm in a bizzaro world. I can't believe we have people begging to get VT/UVA to the Ted, and then they turn around and would rather have UNH come to SB Ballard instead of the Hokies.

No kidding. We can't give up and drop teams from the schedule every time we get beat badly. Talk about lowering the bar... ridiculous.
03-13-2018 02:58 PM
jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD
(03-13-2018 02:54 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 02:48 PM)jasdf Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 09:07 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Football is a tailgate party. We can do that in any conference. We don't compete for anything and we will NEVER be in a New Years Day bowl. Not even Marshall or WKU are competing for that. It would take an $5M coaching investment at least to get to that level. It would take an undefeated season (to include beating the ACC schools on the schedule) and blue chip recruits. You have stars in your eyes and I get it, but need to come back down to reality a bit. The last 2 years is what we are going to get in football. If we schedule enough cupcakes and the conference sucks bad enough, we go to a bowl.

Facts

At the end of the day both are excuses to stand around in the parking lot and get drunk and eat tons of food

But at the end of one, we'll be an embarrassment in our region amongst most football players looking to stay in state (maybe we score a point this time?), just another P5 Bloodbath, a paycheck for Wood to waste, another article in the newspaper detailing our inadequacies. Just dont see how this is helping us all that much right now.

At the end of the other, well
We sold out the stadium and everyone had a great time playing in that conference. What's the real difference. people are less emotionally involved because of the lack of history with our conference opponents. we're paying more to travel and the prospect of having an extra game in another country is not all that attractive, at least to me. Good on you if that's your thing. I would prefer the play off format. It's not like i am going to be any less entertained watching us play and potentially win against UNH versus getting beaten to a bloody pulp by VT. That;'s the entire point of this from our standpoint right? Entertainment? The entertainment we will get from watching our team attempt to play the game of football against VT is going to be COMICAL yet again. if I wanted comedy I would go watch the stooges.

At the end of the day, it's an excuse to sell tickets and get donations from fans. You can charge more for VT than UNH, I can tell you that.

I would really love to know how much more money we are making by playing "fbs" football as compared to the money we made when playing CAA football. It would be great to see if this has really been worth it. And what you say is all fine and well for right now probably. What about after the 10th beating in a row, do you think those tickets will be flying off the shelves? It's not like we're going to get better by getting the **** beaten out of us by VT every season
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(03-13-2018 02:55 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 02:53 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  We can actually hope to win the game in basketball.

Vs the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament?

Not likely, but we can hope to. A statistical anomoly would do it. We beat them on a neutral court in the midst of our 5-25 season, remember? We have beaten VT many times at the Ted.
jasdf Offline
Banned

(03-13-2018 02:57 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 02:52 PM)jasdf Wrote:  
(03-13-2018 01:20 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  Here are the facts, if we take 10 steps backwards to the CAA...

From a scheduling standpoint If you can't understand the difference between playing D1 basketball ,and playing FBS football than I just don't know what to tell you. Let's just start with the post season for example when discussing the differences.....

I understand this: By hook or by crook, we cannot seem to get VT/UVA/any power conference team to play us at the Ted. We have had a LOT of success convincing P5 teams to play at SB Ballard. What boggles my mind is how flippantly some seem to be willing to throw that away.

We both know why that is the case, though
Opportunity to recruit and assert domination in a good recruiting area, It is their reminder to us that they are the big dog, and we're closer to our ceiling than our hopeful hearts may realize.
03-13-2018 03:00 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-13-2018 02:58 PM)jasdf Wrote:  

At the end of the day both are excuses to stand around in the parking lot and get drunk and eat tons of food

But at the end of one, we'll be an embarrassment in our region amongst most football players looking to stay in state (maybe we score a point this time?), just another P5 Bloodbath, a paycheck for Wood to waste, another article in the newspaper detailing our inadequacies. Just dont see how this is helping us all that much right now.

We sold out the stadium and everyone had a great time playing in that conference. What's the real difference. people are less emotionally involved because of the lack of history with our conference opponents. we're paying more to travel and the prospect of having an extra game in another country is not all that attractive, at least to me. Good on you if that's your thing. I would prefer the play off format. It's not like i am going to be any less entertained watching us play and potentially win against UNH versus getting beaten to a bloody pulp by VT. That;'s the entire point of this from our standpoint right? Entertainment? The entertainment we will get from watching our team attempt to play the game of football against VT is going to be COMICAL yet again. if I wanted comedy I would go watch the stooges.

At the end of the day, it's an excuse to sell tickets and get donations from fans. You can charge more for VT than UNH, I can tell you that.

I would really love to know how much more money we are making by playing "fbs" football as compared to the money we made when playing CAA football. It would be great to see if this has really been worth it. And what you say is all fine and well for right now probably. What about after the 10th beating in a row, do you think those tickets will be flying off the shelves? It's not like we're going to get better by getting the **** beaten out of us by VT every season

Unfortunately, you have to look at the department as a whole. Football itself is probably making a little more money, but as a result, we have to send all the hundreds of other athletes, to include non-revenue sports, to Texas, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky to compete at the same time the fans are becoming disinterested and showing up less and less to the games. That is where it kills us. I can tell you one thing, during the first year in CUSA, we were told they are tearing down the Powhatan dorms and building a nice new 28-30k waterfront football stadium. During the 2nd year, they said oops we need to spend $1M+ and study that. This took 2 years. In the 4th year, they said nope, too expensive 25k new stadium around Foreman Field, but it will be really nice.. like... the Ted of football stadiums and will be the envy of the G5. Now in year 5-6 we are looking at not increasing capacity, but basically tearing down the clamshells, and installing nicer seats around an alunimum frame with better bathrooms and concessions. This sequence of events tells me we are in much worse financial shape. Alternate arguments?
03-13-2018 03:10 PM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
FCS would be a mistake. Staying in CUSA is also a mistake. Independence is our best option for scheduling teams that people care about until the next realignment happens.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app
03-14-2018 07:56 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2018 07:56 AM)ODU2017 Wrote:  FCS would be a mistake. Staying in CUSA is also a mistake. Independence is our best option for scheduling teams that people care about until the next realignment happens.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app

The only problem I have with independence is there are no bowl tie-ins. The team could have 10 or 11 wins and still not go to a bowl. Thats why I would prefer FCS to independence.

But the current goal has got to be getting ODU in the AAC or A10. Whichever comes first, and just accept whatever it does to football. I like FBS football, and would like to see it in the AAC. However, I am beginning to have serious doubts about our ability to compete at the FBS level. If we are barely able to pay a coach $500k and are going to try to recruit and pay the bills with a 20k stadium with no new luxury suites or swanky fan amenities, below average facilities and player perks I don't see how we hold our own. We used to make fun of FAUs stadium and program, now we don't even seem to be able to match it. It doesn't look like that will change any time soon. Therefore, whatever is best for basketball should be where we go. If that requires football to be independent, or FCS so be it. As a fan, FCS was just as much fun as FBS. I realize the talent level isn't as good, but the competition on the field and fan experience was as good or better.
03-14-2018 08:48 AM
bit_9 Offline

If you google it there is a report on that exact information.
03-14-2018 09:36 AM
Punk Offline
1st String

[Image: SimpleGreedyGermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif]
03-14-2018 02:55 PM
jasdf Offline
Banned

Facts

something else bothers me about this
So you're okay with the price increasing on the tickets for the VT game. Ok i can see that...but ask yourself, why is it more expensive? Because we plan on getting our extra pennies off the backs of the team that's going to pound us into dust. Wouldn't it be nice if OUR product was GOOD ENOUGH to charge "VT ticket prices" the entire season?
03-14-2018 03:02 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

How much is that commercial at halftime worth to the overall university. I know in the CAA it was worthless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-14-2018 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845516.html

Looks like Temple's stadium is in trouble due to politics.
03-14-2018 10:57 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-14-2018 10:57 PM)monarx Wrote:  http://csnbbs.com/thread-845516.html

Good, maybe they'll join our new conference, especially if it includes Delaware.

03-14-2018 11:07 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-14-2018 11:07 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 10:57 PM)monarx Wrote:  http://csnbbs.com/thread-845516.html

Good, maybe they'll join our new conference, especially if it includes Delaware.

If that doesn't get built, a few greasy palms might get this done, they can work out a new deal at the Linc or play at the MLS stadium. They have options.
03-15-2018 07:05 AM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Man, this thread turned depressing. I don't know the answers...but I find it odd that everyone is willing to throw it all away after one lackluster season. We're only 10 years in guys.

I still believe with the right leadership we can support a competitive basketball AND football team.
03-15-2018 08:40 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(03-15-2018 08:40 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  Man, this thread turned depressing. I don't know the answers...but I find it odd that everyone is willing to throw it all away after one lackluster season. We're only 10 years in guys.

I still believe with the right leadership we can support a competitive basketball AND football team.

You are right, but I think many on here agree we don't have those qualifiers.
03-15-2018 08:43 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(03-15-2018 08:40 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  Man, this thread turned depressing. I don't know the answers...but I find it odd that everyone is willing to throw it all away after one lackluster season. We're only 10 years in guys.

I'm not ready to throw it all away. But I fear that our 10-3 season with a Bowl win might be our peak unless we find a solution to our stadium issues. We need an FBS stadium.
03-15-2018 08:45 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Without FBS facilities we won't get FBS caliber players. Without FBS money we won't get FBS caliber coaches. Without FBS players and coaches, we won't win very often. Somehow, ODU "leadership" has to find a way to get our stadium and facilities to a high G5 level. We're going to have to live with what gets built (or added on to whats built) for probably the rest of our lives... so we have one shot to do it right. And if its done wrong we're in trouble.
03-15-2018 08:49 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(03-15-2018 08:49 AM)monarx Wrote:  Without FBS facilities we won't get FBS caliber players. Without FBS money we won't get FBS caliber coaches. Without FBS players and coaches, we won't win very often. Somehow, ODU "leadership" has to find a way to get our stadium and facilities to a high G5 level. We're going to have to live with what gets built (or added on to whats built) for probably the rest of our lives... so we have one shot to do it right. And if its done wrong we're in trouble.

We don't have the money to do it "right" that is the problem... and as long as we are sending all of our athletes to Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama to compete, while getting next to nothing in media deals, we just aren't going to have the money unless we find a billionaire sugar daddy that will fund all of it privately and take control of everything.
03-15-2018 10:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.