CSNbbs
Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS (/thread-916812.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - shere khan - 02-20-2021 04:45 PM

So a week later that senile pos Biden* comes out of the basement from playing mario Kart to meet with FEMA.

Leadership from a moron. Send him back

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - fsquid - 02-20-2021 07:24 PM

yea, I'm not seeing how this is the Fed's fault from that, but its Saturday and I'm in the bourbon.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - UofMstateU - 02-20-2021 09:51 PM

The storm had already hit by the time the feds gave an ok. And the feds DIDNT just give an ok, but gave them a legal document with all sort of regulations inside of it. And also, having to FILE A WRITTEN REQUEST is stupid when peoples lives are on the line. They basically made Ercot jump through hoops and file a written request, which took time because part of ercots request was clearly written prior to Feb14th, as it talks about Sunday and Monday temps being forecasted much below anticipation. SO Ercot probabably started that process later on Saturday, and then they have to spend time filing the request wording it in a way of saying that they may have additional needs not being stated in the request, because its an emergency thats unfolding. The feds get it, hem haw around, then have their legal department draw up a green new deal type of contract for them to abide by. Thats stupid and irresponsible.

Trump wouldnt have allowed this to happen,

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Owl 69/70/75 - 02-20-2021 11:53 PM

This illustrates my frequent point about the difference between bureaucratic thinking and emergency response thinking.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - gobluebigjon - 02-21-2021 03:26 AM

Seriously. Y’all trying to blame this on anyone or anything other than greed. Que coach from Letterkenny

Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - UTSAMarineVet09 - 02-21-2021 07:59 AM

(02-16-2021 03:47 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 02:11 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 02:07 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 04:42 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 02:49 PM)bullet Wrote:  The official word is that its just too cold and the grid can't handle the demand.

If I recall correctly the Texas power grid is independent of the rest of the US. I'm actually surprised they don't have more fossil fueled plants.

[Image: image.png]

They are about 78% fossil fuel / Nuke.

Anf guess what happens when you drop that 22%, at a time when demand is the highest?

Sounds like they need to go 50% nuke and be done with the problems.

They are generating 4000 MW with wind right now, so obviously not all of it froze.

They lost 20,000+ MW of gas/coal/nuke output, which would make it hard to pin this on wind vs “TX power generation not built for once a decade low temp”.

Once in a decade? Try once in a century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Ohio Poly - 02-21-2021 08:20 AM

(02-20-2021 03:40 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 03:32 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 02:42 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  This is what happens when you are "controlled" by incompetence. The federal government can neither react fast enough, nor fail to get out of the way when they are needed to do so. So instead of playing super mario kart, Biden should have been on top of this.
Now we have dead Texans because of Biden.
Texas forms own power grid to avoid federal regulation.
Texas can’t manage own power grid.
Must be Biden’s fault.

Overall, including now, Texas power grid has a much better record than national grids.

No, the ERCOT death toll from this one incident alone is at 30+.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Owl 69/70/75 - 02-21-2021 08:39 AM

(02-21-2021 08:20 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 03:40 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 03:32 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 02:42 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  This is what happens when you are "controlled" by incompetence. The federal government can neither react fast enough, nor fail to get out of the way when they are needed to do so. So instead of playing super mario kart, Biden should have been on top of this.
Now we have dead Texans because of Biden.
Texas forms own power grid to avoid federal regulation.
Texas can’t manage own power grid.
Must be Biden’s fault.
Overall, including now, Texas power grid has a much better record than national grids.
No, the ERCOT death toll from this one incident alone is at 30+.

I said, "better than," not, "perfect."

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Fo Shizzle - 02-21-2021 08:41 AM

(02-19-2021 08:09 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 08:04 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Actually, most of Texas's power comes from gas. Texas never invested much in renewables.

More wind than any other state.

Is most of it T Boone's?

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - U_of_Elvis - 02-21-2021 10:10 AM

(02-21-2021 07:59 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 03:47 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 02:11 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 02:07 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 04:42 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  If I recall correctly the Texas power grid is independent of the rest of the US. I'm actually surprised they don't have more fossil fueled plants.

[Image: image.png]

They are about 78% fossil fuel / Nuke.

Anf guess what happens when you drop that 22%, at a time when demand is the highest?

Sounds like they need to go 50% nuke and be done with the problems.

They are generating 4000 MW with wind right now, so obviously not all of it froze.

They lost 20,000+ MW of gas/coal/nuke output, which would make it hard to pin this on wind vs “TX power generation not built for once a decade low temp”.

Once in a decade? Try once in a century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1989, 2011, 2021

The temp was lower this time, but the outcome was the same. Massive loss of generation capacity to poor winterization.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - DavidSt - 02-21-2021 10:12 AM

(02-20-2021 09:51 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  The storm had already hit by the time the feds gave an ok. And the feds DIDNT just give an ok, but gave them a legal document with all sort of regulations inside of it. And also, having to FILE A WRITTEN REQUEST is stupid when peoples lives are on the line. They basically made Ercot jump through hoops and file a written request, which took time because part of ercots request was clearly written prior to Feb14th, as it talks about Sunday and Monday temps being forecasted much below anticipation. SO Ercot probabably started that process later on Saturday, and then they have to spend time filing the request wording it in a way of saying that they may have additional needs not being stated in the request, because its an emergency thats unfolding. The feds get it, hem haw around, then have their legal department draw up a green new deal type of contract for them to abide by. Thats stupid and irresponsible.

Trump wouldnt have allowed this to happen,

The state of Texas opted out of the federal regulations on energy. They went on their own and created ERCOT. The other 49 states stayed with the fed regulations, and they never have the same problems as Texas. El Paso went away from the state on this issue, and had their energy on the national grid which they kept power on. The federal regulation and national grid was created by both Democrats and Republicans to avoid problems that Texas faced. I blamed Texas Republicans and their deregulate everything that caused this. You can't deregulate everything because you get something like this to happen.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - DavidSt - 02-21-2021 10:14 AM

(02-19-2021 08:04 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Actually, most of Texas's power comes from gas. Texas never invested much in renewables.

More wind coming out of the Republicans in deregulating everything, and take Texas off the natioinal grid. The power in Texas came from coal and natural gas. The gas lines froze that caused the outage.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Owl 69/70/75 - 02-21-2021 10:39 AM

(02-21-2021 10:14 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
More wind coming out of the Republicans in deregulating everything, and take Texas off the natioinal grid. The power in Texas came from coal and natural gas. The gas lines froze that caused the outage.

You need to brush up on your history regarding ERCOT.

And this incident was more demand-driven, unprecedented and unanticipated levels of demand. When demand reaches those levels, you need every bit of generation. And wind was largely a no-show, thrusting more of the load congas, which actually held for several hours, but once plants stated tripping off for safety reasons, the situation became untenable.

Renewables are great. I fully support wind--was a customer of Green Mountain when I was on ERCOT--and I have solar panels on my house now. So I put my money where my mouth is as far as supporting them. But I also recognize that they have limitations, and their biggest limitation is that they cannot be relied upon for firm energy. That was a problem here and that forced a bigger burden onto gas and coal than they were equipped to handle on short notice.

What Texas and ERCOT need to do is to keep developing wind and solar, winterize everything better, and realize that greater dependence on renewables requires greater excess capacity and greater storage for both electricity and fuel to gas/coal plants. One of the biggest unstated problems is that Texas produces natural gas primarily for export and thus does not have a lot of internal gas storage. Those facilities need to be built and filled for use in times like these. I don't know if we are back to the old, "Turn up your thermostat and freeze a yankee," days or not, but that sentiment is running pretty strong right now.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - BartlettTigerFan - 02-21-2021 10:41 AM

David is a typical libtard. He makes up whatever he wants the story to be. "The gas lines froze". What a 'tard.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Owl 69/70/75 - 02-21-2021 11:01 AM

(02-20-2021 02:08 PM)U_of_Elvis Wrote:  https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2021/02/f82/DOE%20202%28c%29%20Emergency%20Order%20-%20ERCOT%2002.14.2021.pdf
That order was issued at 8:51PM on 2/12/2021. The rolling blackouts started at 1:25AM on 2/15/2021.
That order doesn't limit ERCOT, it allows ERCOT to go above evironmental limits for reliability purposes, and defines the reporting requirements. That order removes environmental limitation during the emergency for reliability concerns.
So the government was trying to help ERCOT stay online.
"Because the additional generation may result in a conflict with environmental standards and requirements, I am authorizing only the necessary additional generation, with reporting requirements as described below."

This is exactly what I mean by the difference between bureaucratic thinking and emergency response thinking. The planet is not going to crater in 2121 because somebody in Texas ran a coal plant for 24-48 yours in 2021.

Let me be clear. I am a huge proponent of renewable alternatives. I was a customer of Green Mountan (100% wind) when I was own ERCOT (now that I am on Entergy that option is no longer available), and my house has solar panels. But I realize that renewables have some very clear deficiencies, and one of them is that they need to be backed up because they cannot be relied upon for firm power. And that is what was needed here.

All that was needed was a simple, "Do what you have to do to keep people alive. Let us know when you don't have to do it any more."

A multi-page conditional response is neither sufficient nor adequate in the circumstances. And a 4-1/2 hour lead time is not sufficient to get done what was needed.

Texas and ERCOT are also to blame. We have been boasting quite a bit (including myself) about how much green energy we have been able to work into the system because of deregulation. But we need to realize that one problem with renewables like wind and solar is that they cannot be relied upon for firm power.

This was a demand-driven event. We had unprecedented winter demand levels that required every available source be online to deliver. And wind was basically a no-show. When you pull 23% of your capacity out of a water system, the pressure drops and everybody's water flows more slowly. When you pull 23% of your capacity out of an electric system, particularly at the time of a major demand surge, you get power plants tripping off for safety reasons, and they cannot be restored immediately, particularly under the conditions that existed.

It was a perfect storm. We survived it. We will not have rolling blackouts next summer like California does routinely. ERCOT has performed much better than adjacent national grid systems during recent hurricanes (as a customer of Entergy, I know that all too well), and will continue to do so. This is not the kind of emergency that is reasonably contemplated to occur often. But we can, and will, be better prepared should it recur.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - CrimsonPhantom - 02-21-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:A spokeswoman for China’s foreign ministry deflected accusations that the communist regime is torturing Uyghur Muslims in concentration camps by mentioning the Texans suffering after a severe winter storm.

Hua Chunying denied that China is abusing Uyghurs during a lengthy press briefing Friday, and went on to claim that the debacle in Texas has reinforced the idea among the Chinese that their country is “on the right path,” according to Reuters.

Chunying’s comment came in response to a journalist asking her about western nations demanding an investigation into allegations that China is subjecting religious minorities to deplorable human rights abuses in the country’s western Xinjiang region.

Chunying also accused Australia, Canada, and the United States of having historically committed genocide.

“Not to be wanting of food or clothing, not to be hungry or cold, this is the fundamental human right that is the most real,” Chunying said. “In the meantime in Texas … millions of people found themselves caught in the terrible situation of not having electricity and heating at home, a few tens of people even lost their lives because of this.”

“This gave the Chinese people a deeper appreciation for what is the real human right, and made us believe more strongly that China is on the right path. We are fully confident about our future,” she added.

At least 21 people have been killed in Texas in the aftermath of Winter Storm Uri, and more than 4 million of them have suffered from widespread power outages.

Earlier this week, CNN published testimony from former detainees alleging horrific conditions in China’s concentration camps, including guards routinely gang raping the women.

As The Daily Wire reported:

Reports have recently surfaced of violent gang rape against religious minorities detained in Chinese concentration camps in Xinjiang.

Qelbinur Sidik, who was forced to teach inside the camps, made the allegations in an interview published by CNN this week. CNN’s report relied solely on the accounts of alleged witnesses.

Sidik’s story begins by noting that a policewoman told her very early on that she had been assigned to investigate reports of rapes and torture taking place at the facility. Sidik said that the policewoman described to her how the male guards at the camp often bragged while drinking about how they “raped and tortured girls.”

Sidik said that her first encounter with new detainees was approximately 100 men and women who were chained in shackles around their hands and feet. She said that even those that came in physically and mentally strong eventually were broken by the brutal system that the communist Chinese had installed in the camps, where an estimated nearly 2 million religious minorities are being detained. She said that she witnessed “horrific traged[ies]” while working at the camp where women were regularly “crying loudly.”

Link

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - U_of_Elvis - 02-21-2021 02:07 PM

(02-21-2021 10:41 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  David is a typical libtard. He makes up whatever he wants the story to be. "The gas lines froze". What a 'tard.

Quote:“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,” Dan Woodfin, senior director of system operations at ERCOT, said during a call with reporters on February 16th, the Texas Tribune reported.

While the frigid cold slashed fuel supplies of all sorts, it also drove up demand for natural gas to heat homes. That “mismatch” is what’s driving these blackouts, says Coombs. There simply hasn’t been enough fuel on hand to power the state’s electricity needs. Natural gas production was pretty much halved in Texas and its gas-rich Permian Basin during the recent cold and stormy weather. It fell from 22.5 billion cubic feet of gas produced per day in December to between 10 to 12 billion cubic feet of gas per day this week, according to estimates from BTU Analytics.

That drop-off in production is thanks to freeze-offs at wellheads where oil and gas are pumped out of the ground. But the cold has also stopped equipment from working properly at gas processing plants, Coombs says. Processing plants separate gas from fluid and impurities; when equipment freezes, plants have to heat it up or wait for temperatures to rise before they can resume their work.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - UofMstateU - 02-21-2021 02:26 PM

(02-21-2021 10:39 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Renewables are great. I fully support wind--was a customer of Green Mountain when I was on ERCOT--and I have solar panels on my house now. So I put my money where my mouth is as far as supporting them. But I also recognize that they have limitations, and their biggest limitation is that they cannot be relied upon for firm energy. That was a problem here and that forced a bigger burden onto gas and coal than they were equipped to handle on short notice.

Correct. Early on, wind generation dropped to about 8% of its previous day's output. And with the feds dragging their feet, they couldnt get other forms of generation ramped up in order to prevent them from freezing up. (And the natural gas is a different animal altogether as you pointed out, where they need to get better storage facilities in TX so that they can handle a few days if the NG fields freeze up. )

To me, its comical that CA, MI, and other libturd governors can strip basic rights from citizens because of a pandemic, and after nearly a year of where those restrictions have been proven ineffective and bogus, they are still allowed to keep restrictions in place. Yet, when an approaching storm has its forecast changed to a once in a
century type of temps which will cause catastrophic demand to hit the grid in 24 hours, a state like TX cant simply take action and ramp up the generators to keep people from dying. They have to wait until Biden is done playing Mario Kart, then for him to have a legal team draft the green new texas deal in to a multi-page regulation document, then it gets approved by the feds late in the night and they send it back to Texas, then a Texas legal team has to decipher the damned document to understand what they can do and when. That is stupid and irresponsible. And this is what you get when you have federal bureaucrats in the way.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - bullet - 02-21-2021 02:33 PM

(02-21-2021 02:26 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 10:39 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Correct. Early on, wind generation dropped to about 8% of its previous day's output. And with the feds dragging their feet, they couldnt get other forms of generation ramped up in order to prevent them from freezing up. (And the natural gas is a different animal altogether as you pointed out, where they need to get better storage facilities in TX so that they can handle a few days if the NG fields freeze up. )

To me, its comical that CA, MI, and other libturd governors can strip basic rights from citizens because of a pandemic, and after nearly a year of where those restrictions have been proven ineffective and bogus, they are still allowed to keep restrictions in place. Yet, when an approaching storm has its forecast changed to a once in a
century type of temps which will cause catastrophic demand to hit the grid in 24 hours, a state like TX cant simply take action and ramp up the generators to keep people from dying. They have to wait until Biden is done playing Mario Kart, then for him to have a legal team draft the green new texas deal in to a multi-page regulation document, then it gets approved by the feds late in the night and they send it back to Texas, then a Texas legal team has to decipher the damned document to understand what they can do and when. That is stupid and irresponsible. And this is what you get when you have federal bureaucrats in the way.

Do any of you think Donald Trump would have let bureaucrats get in the way? At least if he knew they were in the way?

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - olliebaba - 02-21-2021 02:45 PM

About those rapes in China, that's just a cultural thing. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Said who?