Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ESPN Makes Lot of Money Off of UConn Women's Basketball So Why Not Back UConn Into P5
connecticutguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn
ESPN Makes Lot of Money Off of UConn Women's Basketball So Why Not Back UConn Into P5
The UConn women's basketball game this week -- which increased the team's winning streak to 100 -- was lucrative for ESPN. According to the Hartford Courant, "The South Carolina-UConn game was the highest-rated college basketball game on ESPN2 this season — men or women — and earned a 14.3 rating for the Hartford-New Haven market. The game also was the most streamed of any televised, regular season, women's college basketball game ever."

Now maybe Connecticut-based ESPN should realize it needs to support UConn's move into the ACC or B10 -- and not as some have speculated -- work against the university. The state has been very generous to ESPN.It's time for some of that goodwill to go the other way.
02-15-2017 04:15 AM
Find all posts by this user

billybobby777 Offline
Fighting the cartel 5

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: ESPN Makes Lot of Money Off of UConn Women's Basketball So Why Not Back UConn Into P5
(02-15-2017 04:15 AM)connecticutguy Wrote:  The UConn women's basketball game this week -- which increased the team's winning streak to 100 -- was lucrative for ESPN. According to the Hartford Courant, "The South Carolina-UConn game was the highest-rated college basketball game on ESPN2 this season — men or women — and earned a 14.3 rating for the Hartford-New Haven market. The game also was the most streamed of any televised, regular season, women's college basketball game ever."

Now maybe Connecticut-based ESPN should realize it needs to support UConn's move into the ACC or B10 -- and not as some have speculated -- work against the university. The state has been very generous to ESPN.It's time for some of that goodwill to go the other way.

I agree with many of your points, but you are acting as if ESPN can make UConn a P5. Uconn needs an invitation to a P5 conference to become a P5 school. ESPN cannot force an invitation. The Big 10 won't take them IMHO. The ACC is a possibility, if the ACC is interested. How do you suggest ESPN goes about getting Uconn an ACC (or Big 10) invitation?
Cheers!
02-15-2017 05:06 AM
green Offline
All American

I Root For: Miami
RE: ESPN Makes Lot of Money Off of UConn Women's Basketball So Why Not Back UConn Into P5
it's women's basketball ...

WHO GIVES A SH_T
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 06:14 AM by green.)
02-15-2017 06:12 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tulane, Jags
Agree that UConn "deserves" to compete on the biggest stage. But as Clint said in one of his westerns, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." B1G or ACC don't want to expand and they're not going to anytime soon unless it involves Notre Dame or Texas. ESPN/Disney really can't do anything to force the issue.

They could, however, renegotiate the existing deal with AAC....
02-15-2017 06:26 AM

connecticutguy Offline
Bench Warmer

Back when the ACC took Pitt and Syracuse, allegations were made that ESPN told the ACC which teams to take.

"ESPN - is the one who told us what to do," BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo said at the time.

http://www.businessinsider.com/scandal-e...ce-2011-10
02-15-2017 07:25 AM
TopperCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL & WKU
(02-15-2017 06:12 AM)green Wrote:  it's women's basketball ...

WHO GIVES A SH_T

A lot of people like women's basketball, no reason to hate on it.
02-15-2017 07:44 AM
rednblackattack Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL
Mens basketball isn't what even moves the needle for realignment. You think women's basketball will?
02-15-2017 07:59 AM

3BNole Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida State
The major problem for UCONN with the ACC is that their football program would dilute the football product and ACC basketball is already saturated, both men's and women's. At this point in time, there really isn't new that they would bring. If they ever do come in, it would be paired with ND as a full fledged member.
02-15-2017 08:05 AM
connecticutguy Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-15-2017 08:05 AM)3BNole Wrote:  The major problem for UCONN with the ACC is that their football program would dilute the football product and ACC basketball is already saturated, both men's and women's. At this point in time, there really isn't new that they would bring. If they ever do come in, it would be paired with ND as a full fledged member.

I have nothing but respect for Florida State and their outstanding athletic programs and strong academics. But give UConn football a chance under Head Coach Randy Edsall again. UConn may not be able to beat Florida State or Clemson next fall, but chances are strong the football program will soon be competitive with most of the ACC.
02-15-2017 08:13 AM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(02-15-2017 08:13 AM)connecticutguy Wrote:  
(02-15-2017 08:05 AM)3BNole Wrote:  The major problem for UCONN with the ACC is that their football program would dilute the football product and ACC basketball is already saturated, both men's and women's. At this point in time, there really isn't new that they would bring. If they ever do come in, it would be paired with ND as a full fledged member.

I have nothing but respect for Florida State and their outstanding athletic programs and strong academics. But give UConn football a chance under Head Coach Randy Edsall again. UConn may not be able to beat Florida State or Clemson next fall, but chances are strong the football program will soon be competitive with most of the ACC.
Maybe if Uconn fans spent as much time supporting and helping their really pitiful football team (the only sport that actually matters to the networks cash wise) as they spend whining and fantasizing about the Acc, they may eventually start to help any real and not imaginary chance they have left. As of right now neither of your money sports especially football are helping the AAC let alone the ACC. Prove your worth on the field of play first then maybe someone, anyone may start to take you seriously. 01-wingedeagle. In the meantime try pulling your own weight as a winning football program like a Houston or USF, or Memphis, or,,,get the picture. If you're banking on women's bball, you may be delusional
02-15-2017 08:44 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.