Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could SEC be left out of playoffs?
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Could SEC be left out of playoffs?
Hear me out - this is not unrealistic. All that needs to happen is:

1) Alabama loses the Iron Bowl
2) Florida loses to either Florida State OR LSU (giving Florida 3 losses)
3) Florida beats Alabama in the SEC Championship game

There's no way the committee lets a team in the playoffs that just lost 2 games in a row. And there's no way a 3-loss team gets in the playoffs.

If this happens there's a good chance we could see 2 Big 10 teams and 2 ACC teams in the playoff.
11-15-2016 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: Could SEC be left out of playoffs?
Only chance is if Alabama loses to Auburn and the SEC CCG.

Even then, maybe not.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016 01:08 PM by MplsBison.)
11-15-2016 01:07 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Look. I loathe the Krimsem Tahd and everything that it touches. But Alabama is not losing 2 games in a row to Auburn and Florida.

I might as well put a thread saying.. Could South Alabama beat Charlotte in next years CFP championship game? It could happen, but its pretty unlikely.
11-15-2016 01:11 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
For the op's scenario to happen- Tennessee would have to lose to either Missouri or Vanderbilt. Both are 1-5 in conference play. In other words highly unlikely. Tennessee has a 67% chance of winning both of them. And Tennessee isn't beating Alabama.
11-15-2016 01:23 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(11-15-2016 01:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  For the op's scenario to happen- Tennessee would have to lose to either Missouri or Vanderbilt. Both are 1-5 in conference play. In other words highly unlikely. Tennessee has a 67% chance of winning both of them. And Tennessee isn't beating Alabama.

Actually, Florida would have to beat LSU and lose to FSU. If they lose to LSU, Tennessee is in the SEC CG; if the Gators win, they're in regardless of the FSU game.
11-15-2016 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Bama is not losing so moot.
11-15-2016 02:15 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
More likely loss-contributing scenarios:

1) Nick Saban misses the rest of the season after being hospitalized with heart arrhythmia (surprisingly debunking the rumors that he lacks the organ...).

2) Jalen Hurd misses the Iron Bowl and SEC championship after developing unnaturally large and painful kidney stones, directly linked to his binge drinking of diet Dr. Pepper (though an SEC championship game half-time commercial featuring both Larry Culpepper AND Lil' Sweet publicly refutes the connection, with horrific detail)

3) Lane Kiffen misses the Iron Bowl on personal leave after his wife *unexpectedly* gives birth to a baby girl. Then, one week later, Kiffen again takes leave and misses the SEC championship game as his wife unexpectedly gives birth to *another* baby girl.

4) The entire Tide front seven, several backups, and Big Al develop severe flu-like symptoms during pre-game drills. A powdery substance is found to have been sprinkled all over the Alabama end zone. Cameras later show Aubie the tiger secretly removing a small bag from the end zone pylon and stuffing it up Big Al's trunk.
11-15-2016 02:42 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
What are the odds Alabama loses to Auburn? Id say like 5% chance, looking ahead to SEC championship since they already clinched the west.

What are the chances they lose to TN? Id like to say 5% as a fan, but probably about 1%.
11-15-2016 03:39 PM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
Alabama is the best team in the country and I don't think it's close. So no, Alabama will not lose the iron bowl or the SEC championship, and no, the SEC will not miss the CFP. I think there's probably only a 10% chance that Alabama doesn't win the entire thing, IMO.
11-15-2016 04:11 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(11-15-2016 02:42 PM)YNot Wrote:  More likely loss-contributing scenarios:

1) Nick Saban misses the rest of the season after being hospitalized with heart arrhythmia (surprisingly debunking the rumors that he lacks the organ...).

2) Jalen Hurd misses the Iron Bowl and SEC championship after developing unnaturally large and painful kidney stones, directly linked to his binge drinking of diet Dr. Pepper (though an SEC championship game half-time commercial featuring both Larry Culpepper AND Lil' Sweet publicly refutes the connection, with horrific detail)

3) Lane Kiffen misses the Iron Bowl on personal leave after his wife *unexpectedly* gives birth to a baby girl. Then, one week later, Kiffen again takes leave and misses the SEC championship game as his wife unexpectedly gives birth to *another* baby girl.

4) The entire Tide front seven, several backups, and Big Al develop severe flu-like symptoms during pre-game drills. A powdery substance is found to have been sprinkled all over the Alabama end zone. Cameras later show Aubie the tiger secretly removing a small bag from the end zone pylon and stuffing it up Big Al's trunk.

While those are good, there is a scenario where 'Bama could lose in the CFP...

Lane Kiffin gets a HC opportunity but has to leave before bowl season starts.
11-15-2016 05:43 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Yes, the SEC could be left out of the playoffs.

But, what makes this thread silly is the same is true with any other P5 conference as well, if games ahead break certain ways. So there's nothing to discuss here, really.
11-15-2016 07:26 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I'm going to say no even with a loss Alabama gets in.
11-15-2016 10:28 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(11-15-2016 04:11 PM)SouthEastAlaska Wrote:  Alabama is the best team in the country and I don't think it's close. So no, Alabama will not lose the iron bowl or the SEC championship, and no, the SEC will not miss the CFP. I think there's probably only a 10% chance that Alabama doesn't win the entire thing, IMO.

Agree
11-16-2016 08:46 AM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Even if Alabama lost the Iron Bowl, they would still get in the CFP. The only way Alabama doesn't get into the CFP is if they lose their next two games and that ain't gonna happen.
11-16-2016 12:25 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Clearly they won't lose to Chattanooga. So I'm assuming you mean lose to Auburn and the CCG.
11-16-2016 12:33 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Alabama would have to lose the SEC Championship in embarrassing fashion

It's not going to happen
11-16-2016 04:40 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The Tide losing to both Auburn and the SEC East winner would be more unlikely than anything that's happened in CFB for a long, long time. No one should lose any sleep over the possibility of it.

But if it did happen, the SEC might well be out, depending on what happened everywhere else, and for sure an 11-1 non-champ Ohio State would be ahead of both Bama and the SEC East winner in the final ranking.
11-16-2016 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.