Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Florida and SEC look ridiculous on Hurricane issue
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Florida and SEC look ridiculous on Hurricane issue
Less than 46 hours until scheduled kickoff and neither the SEC nor Florida has made a decision on the LSU-Florida game.

This game should have been rescheduled, canceled, or moved at least 24 hours ago. Obviously, safety has to come first but these morons don't get that.

Everyone involved looks weak and absurd.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-06-2016 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Florida and SEC look ridiculous on Hurricane issue
(10-06-2016 02:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Less than 46 hours until scheduled kickoff and neither the SEC nor Florida has made a decision on the LSU-Florida game.

This game should have been rescheduled, canceled, or moved at least 24 hours ago. Obviously, safety has to come first but these morons don't get that.

Especially after how quickly the UCF-Tulane game was moved. Granted, Orlando will probably get worse weather than Gainesville, but it's going to be an ugly next 24 hours or so for both cities, and unfortunately it looks like large chunks of the state are going to be hurting Saturday.
10-06-2016 02:40 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Florida's AD has also managed to drag South Alabama into his self made mess.

People are now suggesting that LSU cancel the USA game and UF cancel the Presbyterian game in November so they can make up the game on that date.

That would really suck for us. The suggestion that we just pocket the money and play Presbyterian that weekend is risible because a win versus the Blue Hose wouldn't count towards Bowl eligibility. Sure, we're not expected to beat LSU, but this year....who knows...

Florida's AD is more worried about his football team than the state he purports to represent. Even if Gainesville isn't impacted, first responders will need to be taken out of rescue/recovery efforts to handle the game. And there the fact that the hotel rooms in Gainesville are probably better served being used by evacuees, rather than football teams/fans.

This game could have been played in Mobile. It could have been played in Tampa. It could have been played in Tallahassee. Now, with UF waiting until 5pm CDT to make a decision, I doubt they could move the game. Maybe to Sunday.

If UF effectively cancels the LSU-USA game, it won't be a 'hurricane move', but rather a "Florida AD wouldn't move in a timely manner" move.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 02:46 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
10-06-2016 02:45 PM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
LSU-Florida has been, depending on your twitter source, either postponed or cancelled. Either way, it isn't going to be played on Saturday.
10-06-2016 03:00 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-06-2016 02:40 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Less than 46 hours until scheduled kickoff and neither the SEC nor Florida has made a decision on the LSU-Florida game.

Especially after how quickly the UCF-Tulane game was moved. Granted, Orlando will probably get worse weather than Gainesville, but it's going to be an ugly next 24 hours or so for both cities, and unfortunately it looks like large chunks of the state are going to be hurting Saturday.

One has to figure that the tourism and hospitality thing runs so deep into the culture of Orlando and the surrounding area that this stuff is a no-brainer to them. And, really, given the two schools involved there, you wonder who made the call first. To others in the state, including those at Gainesville, not so much.
10-06-2016 03:05 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-06-2016 02:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Florida's AD has also managed to drag South Alabama into his self made mess.

People are now suggesting that LSU cancel the USA game and UF cancel the Presbyterian game in November so they can make up the game on that date.

That would really suck for us. The suggestion that we just pocket the money and play Presbyterian that weekend is risible because a win versus the Blue Hose wouldn't count towards Bowl eligibility. Sure, we're not expected to beat LSU, but this year....who knows...

Florida's AD is more worried about his football team than the state he purports to represent. Even if Gainesville isn't impacted, first responders will need to be taken out of rescue/recovery efforts to handle the game. And there the fact that the hotel rooms in Gainesville are probably better served being used by evacuees, rather than football teams/fans.

This game could have been played in Mobile. It could have been played in Tampa. It could have been played in Tallahassee. Now, with UF waiting until 5pm CDT to make a decision, I doubt they could move the game. Maybe to Sunday.

If UF effectively cancels the LSU-USA game, it won't be a 'hurricane move', but rather a "Florida AD wouldn't move in a timely manner" move.

Be interesting to see what the penalties for a cancellation during the season would be. Think it would be very big.
10-06-2016 03:14 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I wonder if LSU and Florida could get special exception to make up their OOC games on Dec 10.
10-06-2016 03:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Last I saw South Carolina hadn't called it either. They are still planning on having it at home without the 100-200 state highway patrolmen they normally use.
10-06-2016 03:19 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2016 03:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Florida's AD has also managed to drag South Alabama into his self made mess.

Be interesting to see what the penalties for a cancellation during the season would be. Think it would be very big.

Finebaum is reporting that they're going to try to reschedule the game for Nov 19. Ooops I mean screw over USA. Let me guess. Not only is LSU going to cancel on us. But they'll do it in such a way that we can't get a replacement game of any kind, much less a waiver from the NCAA to get that game bowl qualifying.

Any cancellation of the LSU-USA game would have very little to do with Hurricane Matthew but of the brinksmanship of the Florida AD, who expects teams that don't even have a deal with them to bear the cost of his refusal to act in a timely manner. Florida could have moved the game, but they chose not to.

LSU cancelling their game with USA would NOT be a weather cancellation.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 03:26 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
10-06-2016 03:22 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
NCAA should deny any results from the LSU-Florida game if played on November 19th
10-06-2016 03:29 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables

I have a solution...

This is Ole Miss's bye week. October 22nd, the date LSU plays Ole Miss, is Florida's bye week...

Why not just let LSU play Ole Miss this weekend and then play Florida on the 22nd. Then nobody skips a beat and Florida has this week off, Ole Miss has the 22nd off, and LSU has the 29th off, and all games still get played while only LSU and UF make theirs up.
10-06-2016 03:33 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2016 03:29 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  NCAA should deny any results from the LSU-Florida game if played on November 19th

Actually, I'm good with the NCAA simply granting a waiver for a potential USA-Presbyterian game on Nov. 19 to count (along with USA's win over Nicholls) as wins towards bowl eligibility. Plus LSU paying us to not play the game. And UF paying Presbyterian to play us and buy out their contract.
10-06-2016 03:34 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-06-2016 03:22 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  LSU cancelling their game with USA would NOT be a weather cancellation.

I don't disagree, but you saying it doesn't make it so.

You lined it up well how this could play out. That doesn't sound like a victory for USA in any kind of way; LSU and/or Florida won't be held accountable in any meaningful way. Unless chucking a couple of bucks and offering some obnoxious non-fb games in Gainesville or Baton Rouge counts as consolation.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 03:35 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
10-06-2016 03:34 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(10-06-2016 03:22 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Finebaum is reporting that they're going to try to reschedule the game for Nov 19. Ooops I mean screw over USA. Let me guess. Not only is LSU going to cancel on us. But they'll do it in such a way that we can't get a replacement game of any kind, much less a waiver from the NCAA to get that game bowl qualifying.

Any cancellation of the LSU-USA game would have very little to do with Hurricane Matthew but of the brinksmanship of the Florida AD, who expects teams that don't even have a deal with them to bear the cost of his refusal to act in a timely manner. Florida could have moved the game, but they chose not to.

LSU cancelling their game with USA would NOT be a weather cancellation.

I'm gonna be pretty upset if LSU has to cancel another game, two seasons in a row, especially because of Florida taking a dump and not wanting to move the game to another location which would have solved all problems, besides the loss they're gonna get.
10-06-2016 03:37 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(10-06-2016 03:29 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  NCAA should deny any results from the LSU-Florida game if played on November 19th

This ain't LSU's fault. They tried to have the game played in a neutral location or in Baton Rouge. Been trying since the hurricane became a threat. This is all on Florida.
10-06-2016 03:39 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-06-2016 02:40 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Especially after how quickly the UCF-Tulane game was moved.

Yep, hate to say it, but the UCF and Tulane officials made laughingstocks of Florida and the SEC with how smoothly and efficiently they handled their game.

Now, because of the delay, LSU - UF has been canceled, which could have ramifications for divisional titles. Totally unnecessary.
10-06-2016 03:40 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-06-2016 02:45 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  If UF effectively cancels the LSU-USA game, it won't be a 'hurricane move', but rather a "Florida AD wouldn't move in a timely manner" move.

FWIW, that was never an option for LSU and you don't have to worry about it happening. That would mean giving up the big home revenue that LSU will earn for the USA game just because Florida screwed things up royally with their foot dragging.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 03:44 PM by quo vadis.)
10-06-2016 03:41 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(10-06-2016 03:40 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Yep, hate to say it, but the UCF and Tulane officials made laughingstocks of Florida and the SEC with how smoothly and efficiently they handled their game.

Now, because of the delay, LSU - UF has been canceled, which could have ramifications for divisional titles. Totally unnecessary.

Effing ridiculous.
10-06-2016 03:42 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-06-2016 03:42 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 03:40 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Yep, hate to say it, but the UCF and Tulane officials made laughingstocks of Florida and the SEC with how smoothly and efficiently they handled their game.

Effing ridiculous.

Imagine if LSU and Alabama each end up with one SEC loss, which means LSU beat Alabama head to head ... but the SEC says Alabama is the SEC West champ because LSU played one less SEC game - a game that the SEC forced LSU to cancel? 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 03:46 PM by quo vadis.)
10-06-2016 03:45 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

And should LSU pay the (probably significant) cost to buy out USA's contract? So not only would they lose a home game (and all the revenue from that game), but they'll have to pay USA a million and change to cancel. AND all of that because the UF AD wouldn't change the venue.

Also worth noting. UF's payment to Presbyterian would probably be half that LSU will have to pay USA.

Basically, if they do the USA-LSU and UF-Blue Hose cancellation thing, LSU will take a far bigger hit. Call it 1.2 million to USA and then more than 2.5 million in lost ticket revenue for LSU. Remember, it would be LSU, as well as UF, that loses a home game in this scenario
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 03:53 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
10-06-2016 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.