UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BBJ: A stadium at the BJCC? Weighing its pros and cons versus the dome
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation BBJ: A stadium at the BJCC? Weighing its pros and cons versus the dome
10-09-2015 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: BBJ: A stadium at the BJCC? Weighing its pros and cons versus the dome
$$$$$$$$$$$$$
10-09-2015 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
For the sake of keeping "apples to apples", a pro vs con look at "The (MPF) Dome" vs a new open air stadium built at the BJCC one could argue the same between the Cotton Bowl Stadium and the "Jerry World" facility. They are close to each other geographically, but that is about all. How about a comparison of Atlanta's new MPF opening in 2017 and Grant Field? In my opinion, a new 45,000 seat open air stadium is going to be a single use (and maybe single tenant) facility. The "other events" claimed for it have never been specified or enumerated.

B'ham NEEDS to build the MPF in order to compete for the larger conventions now going to other southern cities and THAT is NOT open to "pros vs cons" debates.
10-10-2015 12:34 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(10-10-2015 12:34 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  For the sake of keeping "apples to apples", a pro vs con look at "The (MPF) Dome" vs a new open air stadium built at the BJCC one could argue the same between the Cotton Bowl Stadium and the "Jerry World" facility. They are close to each other geographically, but that is about all. How about a comparison of Atlanta's new MPF opening in 2017 and Grant Field? In my opinion, a new 45,000 seat open air stadium is going to be a single use (and maybe single tenant) facility. The "other events" claimed for it have never been specified or enumerated.

B'ham NEEDS to build the MPF in order to compete for the larger conventions now going to other southern cities and THAT is NOT open to "pros vs cons" debates.

the plan is an open air stadium AND an enclosed convention space large enough to host NCAA tournament games. the second phase has not been announced yet. one project at a time. still costs less than building a huge MPF
10-10-2015 03:01 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Please Lord. Let me one day watch the Blazers play under a clear blue sky again.
10-10-2015 06:29 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(10-10-2015 12:34 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  For the sake of keeping "apples to apples", a pro vs con look at "The (MPF) Dome" vs a new open air stadium built at the BJCC one could argue the same between the Cotton Bowl Stadium and the "Jerry World" facility. They are close to each other geographically, but that is about all. How about a comparison of Atlanta's new MPF opening in 2017 and Grant Field? In my opinion, a new 45,000 seat open air stadium is going to be a single use (and maybe single tenant) facility. The "other events" claimed for it have never been specified or enumerated.

The Cotton Bowl in Fair Park is at least 30-35 minutes away from Cowboys Stadium off of 365 in Arlington. Grant Field is owned by Georgia Tech so comparing that situation is also and apples to oranges comparison.
10-10-2015 07:03 AM
Advertisement

BirminghamBound Offline
Special Teams

BBJ: A stadium at the BJCC? Weighing its pros and cons versus the dome
(10-10-2015 03:01 AM)bladhmadh Wrote:  

the plan is an open air stadium AND an enclosed convention space large enough to host NCAA tournament games. the second phase has not been announced yet. one project at a time. still costs less than building a huge MPF

So basically another arena?
10-10-2015 07:16 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(10-10-2015 07:16 AM)BirminghamBound Wrote:  

So basically another arena?

yes but bigger
10-10-2015 07:55 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

For UABs future, and I mean more than just for football, the whole idea of waiting around for three years, or more, for BJCC to construct a stadium or dome for UAB to play their football games in, is preposterous. I hate it and I will always hate it. UAB is perfectly capable of standing on its own two feet and constructing an on campus stadium and UAB is much wealthier than BJCC or the City or the County. The final decision is entirely up to UAB Administration and the Board of Trustees. UAB Athletics and boosters need to get their arse's in gear and concentrate solely on explicitly convincing Administration and the Board of Trustees to approve. It is so demeaning and insulting to UAB that local civil servants, some of which are on BJCC Board of Directors, have stepped in with an idea of creating a down the road alternative for UAB Football. They might as well just walk up to all of us and slap us all in the face and say "Take it or leave it, that's all you get!".
10-10-2015 08:36 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

Thank God the civil servants did step in, or we would be stuck playing in Legion Field for decades :(
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 08:48 AM by B'ham Blazer.)
10-10-2015 08:45 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA

I hope you're right, but that would seem to be duplicative to the Civic Center space, and would not provide the convention space which has long been the impetus behind the BJCC expansion. To do both on the level discussed for convention space would cost somewhere between $800M-1.2B, based on prior estimate for separate facilities. I've not seen budgeted numbers anywhere close to that.
10-10-2015 09:07 AM
Advertisement

TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(10-10-2015 08:45 AM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Thank God the civil servants did step in, or we would be stuck playing in Legion Field fpr decades :(
Oh believe me, they are not stepping in on UABs behalf. Cha-Ching! They see dollar signs. Duh!

You simply think that it is "impossible" for UAB to construct an on campus football stadium, a state of the art facility that is also, multi-purpose and quite lucrative(producing a great deal of profit).

Not impossible. The Board of Trustees and UAB Administration have put up this huge barrier. Now is the time for UAB Boosters(and believe me, they have enough to finance ten stadiums), to convince administration and the board to remove that barrier and to clear the way for UAB to construct.

Just do it! Git er' done! Go! Get started!
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 09:16 AM by TheGORILLA.)
10-10-2015 09:15 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-10-2015 09:15 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  
(10-10-2015 08:45 AM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Thank God the civil servants did step in, or we would be stuck playing in Legion Field fpr decades :(
Oh believe me, they are not stepping in on UABs behalf. Cha-Ching! They see dollar signs. Duh!

You simply think that it is "impossible" for UAB to construct an on campus football stadium, a state of the art facility that is also, multi-purpose and quite lucrative(producing a great deal of profit).

Not impossible. The Board of Trustees and UAB Administration have put up this huge barrier. Now is the time for UAB Boosters(and believe me, they have enough to finance ten stadiums), to convince administration and the board to remove that barrier and to clear the way for UAB to construct.

Just do it! Git er' done! Go! Get started!

You make a lot of sense........just wish we weren't stuck with a corrupt board in a corrupt state. UAB & Birmingham deserve much better!!!
10-10-2015 09:32 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-10-2015 08:36 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  For UABs future, and I mean more than just for football, the whole idea of waiting around for three years, or more, for BJCC to construct a stadium or dome for UAB to play their football games in, is preposterous. I hate it and I will always hate it. UAB is perfectly capable of standing on its own two feet and constructing an on campus stadium and UAB is much wealthier than BJCC or the City or the County. The final decision is entirely up to UAB Administration and the Board of Trustees. UAB Athletics and boosters need to get their arse's in gear and concentrate solely on explicitly convincing Administration and the Board of Trustees to approve. It is so demeaning and insulting to UAB that local civil servants, some of which are on BJCC Board of Directors, have stepped in with an idea of creating a down the road alternative for UAB Football. They might as well just walk up to all of us and slap us all in the face and say "Take it or leave it, that's all you get!".

More like they stepped up and said, "Yes, you can have it", instead of "UAB will never have an on campus football stadium" the way the Athletic Committee of the BoT has.

See, one way we actually get a stadium to play in, and the other we get nothing.

For a bonus, if the BJCC builds it, we get to spend the money we have raised on even *more* permanent athletic facilities!
10-10-2015 09:36 AM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(10-10-2015 09:36 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(10-10-2015 08:36 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  For UABs future, and I mean more than just for football, the whole idea of waiting around for three years, or more, for BJCC to construct a stadium or dome for UAB to play their football games in, is preposterous. I hate it and I will always hate it. UAB is perfectly capable of standing on its own two feet and constructing an on campus stadium and UAB is much wealthier than BJCC or the City or the County. The final decision is entirely up to UAB Administration and the Board of Trustees. UAB Athletics and boosters need to get their arse's in gear and concentrate solely on explicitly convincing Administration and the Board of Trustees to approve. It is so demeaning and insulting to UAB that local civil servants, some of which are on BJCC Board of Directors, have stepped in with an idea of creating a down the road alternative for UAB Football. They might as well just walk up to all of us and slap us all in the face and say "Take it or leave it, that's all you get!".

More like they stepped up and said, "Yes, you can have it", instead of "UAB will never have an on campus football stadium" the way the Athletic Committee of the BoT has.

See, one way we actually get a stadium to play in, and the other we get nothing.

For a bonus, if the BJCC builds it, we get to spend the money we have raised on even *more* permanent athletic facilities!
No, they have stepped up and said, "We are going to try and make it possible for you to rent something other than "it" six times a year" since you can't do that(build an OCS). The last time someone told me, "You can't do that!", I had a pick in my hand and I was digging footings for this house I live in. My neighbor walked down the hill and asked what I was doing. I said, "I am going to build a house, myself, no matter how long it takes. He said, "You can't do that!". Oh, that pissed me off! Just gave me more reason and determination, besides me wanting to build a home and to start a family of my own. Twenty years and three kids later, here I am, "Thank You, God!" My Son is eighteen, my two Daughters are eleven and seven. Keep thy nose to the grindstone. Keep digging! The rewards are great. I can't believe you people have surrendered. Makes me sick!
10-10-2015 10:42 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

(10-10-2015 10:42 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  

No, they have stepped up and said, "We are going to try and make it possible for you to rent something other than "it" six times a year" since you can't do that(build an OCS). The last time someone told me, "You can't do that!", I had a pick in my hand and I was digging footings for this house I live in. My neighbor walked down the hill and asked what I was doing. I said, "I am going to build a house, myself, no matter how long it takes. He said, "You can't do that!". Oh, that pissed me off! Just gave me more reason and determination, besides me wanting to build a home and to start a family of my own. Twenty years and three kids later, here I am, "Thank You, God!" My Son is eighteen, my two Daughters are eleven and seven. Keep thy nose to the grindstone. Keep digging! The rewards are great. I can't believe you people have surrendered. Makes me sick!

So you gonna go build a stadium?
10-10-2015 12:56 PM
Advertisement

TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(10-10-2015 12:56 PM)rook360 Wrote:  

I am certainly not going to be bamboozled into thinking that it cannot be done.
10-10-2015 01:58 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-10-2015 01:58 PM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  

I am certainly not going to be bamboozled into thinking that it cannot be done.

Well not having you bamboozled certainly helps.
10-10-2015 02:04 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(10-10-2015 01:58 PM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  
(10-10-2015 09:36 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  [quote='TheGORILLA' pid='12483205' dateline='1444484169']
For UABs future, and I mean more than just for football, the whole idea of waiting around for three years, or more, for BJCC to construct a stadium or dome for UAB to play their football games in, is preposterous. I hate it and I will always hate it. UAB is perfectly capable of standing on its own two feet and constructing an on campus stadium and UAB is much wealthier than BJCC or the City or the County. The final decision is entirely up to UAB Administration and the Board of Trustees. UAB Athletics and boosters need to get their arse's in gear and concentrate solely on explicitly convincing Administration and the Board of Trustees to approve. It is so demeaning and insulting to UAB that local civil servants, some of which are on BJCC Board of Directors, have stepped in with an idea of creating a down the road alternative for UAB Football. They might as well just walk up to all of us and slap us all in the face and say "Take it or leave it, that's all you get!".

[/quote]I am certainly not going to be bamboozled into thinking that it cannot be done.

Then give us your idea of how we can get it done.
How do you suggest we raise the capital. Because once we tell the business leaders "No we don't want UAB in the open air stadium" you've just alienated some major supports. And if you don't think they are major, I don't see anyone else with money running up in the past 20 years asking to build us a stadium.

Garrison's plan called for bonds. Watts isn't going to do it. We wait out Watts till the next president comes in and that one says the same thing. So whats your table top business plan to fund and produce a stadium?
10-10-2015 02:10 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
Give me a dome stadium to replace Legion and Legacy for NCAA competition. I'm talking final fours and a bigger better bowl game. Also a amphitheater too steal a Tuscaloosa's thunder make it bigger and better too. Something to make money, a D&B built into something innovative.
10-10-2015 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.