Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WMU Game Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
WMU Game Thoughts
Bare (hi huskiebob) with me because I'm posting from my iPhone so who knows what this is going to look like.

At some point during the Ball State game, I started to oddly enjoy the struggle of this team. I think the reason is because of how hard they always seem to be playing. There's never been a point this year where they've appeared to be going anything but balls out. The balls theyve shown time and time again this year is something that deserves a lot of credit. Talent only takes you so far. The character of this team is something that started when Kill was here. They always have been an easy team to root for with players who are genuinely like able. Does that help you win games? Maybe, maybe not. But I will say if there's ever an example of a team winning games on character it's this one.

Now does this team have a horse shoe stuck up its ass a little? Absolutely. But anybody who has been forced to watch the Cardinals the last decade knows that good teams are the one that genuinely get the breaks. After spending a long time having the breaks go against them, over the last half decade the tables have turned in their favor. Lucky? Somewhat. But fortune favors those who are in the right spot.

I'm not even sure what to sit here and say about the first half. It was ugly, yes, but it was really ugly on both sides. Hare was god awful in the first half, but beyond that and the infamous punt from the 31 (God that was bad) there really isn't anything for me to sit here and complain about. When was the last time you saw an NIU center snap the ball that high? The Akeem fumble was bad but it happens. Credit to the team overal for making enough plays to keep it only at 11.

Give Hare and credit company though. He/them always seem to make the plays when they need to.

If you want to kill NIU, you better do it when they give you the chance. WMU didn't and we saw the result.

What the hell was with WMU's play calling in the second half? It felt like all they were doing was running the same play to Franklin over and over.

As has been pointed out in other threads, the Rock/Marlon stop of Terrell on 4th down (Peej should have kicked the FG) and whoever stripped Franklin going into the endzone were the plays of the game.

I think a couple performances this year have really caused people to overlook how damn solid the defense has been the entire year. The defense was the main reason NIU beat NU, Kent State, Ohio, and WMU. When was the last time you could say an NIU defense won 4 games for them?

Those boys on defense were out there playing with emotion in the second half too. Everyone one of them. When they got some confidence going you could just feel like they knew somebody was going to make the next play. Incredibly fun to watch.

Paris Logan's improvement from the start of conference play until now is remarkable. He's gone from a liability to a rock solid corner.

How about some of the young guys stepping up to make plays? Turner, ACRB, Smalls, Lurry, Folliard, Lee, Mayes, and Glasper (not a bad time for your first career catch) all had gigantic plays. Not a junior among them.

Switching to the 34 was a stroke of genius by Niemann and the rest of the stuff. How fun was it watching them boys rush the passer in the second half against NU and today? They were flat out unblockable.

Man it felt good to win that game after all the trash the WMU fans had been talking for the better part of two weeks.

I mentioned it in another thread, but go watch Folliard's game winning sack fumble. He beats both the LG and the RB. Those are championship type plays.

I think WMU's inexperience (not of being young, but not having played in these games) showed up when they got hit by the Avalanche in the second half. They never could really stop the bleeding.

The fact NIU ended up with more yards than WMU despite being out TOP'd 41-19 is amazing, hilarious, terrifying, and awesome.

Been rooting for this team for 12+ years now, not sure I've ever been more proud than today. A truly gutsy and team victory. Not the most talented team I've ever seen, but might be the most ballsy.

Let's go get another ring in Detroit. We got some revenge to hand out.
11-28-2014 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
RE: WMU Game Thoughts
Corey Thomas caused the goal line fumble.
11-28-2014 10:24 PM
Hall of Famer

The major reason I'm okay with Hare is that he never seems to get rattled. That first half would've had a lot of guys pressing and/or turtling and he just kept going to work. Dude also takes hits like Cheech and Chong.
11-28-2014 10:26 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I'm okay with him because imagine if his accuracy takes a step forward next year. His decision making is damn near perfect and he's only a soph. There's hope there.
11-28-2014 10:28 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Plus he'll occasionally throw one like he did to Brown late in the first half when he takes one right in the face and still throws a dart.
11-28-2014 10:29 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Learning how to win the big games is something many teams struggle with. There have been good or even great NIU teams in the past under Novak who never seemed to learn how to win the big games in conference and the postseason.

Over the last 5 years you can clearly see how this group of players first failed and then learned how to win these kinds of games. The teams under Novak and possibly even Kill would've lost the game today. These guys, once WMU couldn't kill them in the first half, there was never a doubt they'd come back and win in my mind.

Arguably, the person who deserves as much credit as anyone for teaching this team how to win is Tuke. I still don't believe he gets near enough credit for the job he did in Boise 4 years ago. To take a team that lost the MACC in as heartbreaking a fashion as they did, then lost the head coach and staff a few days later, and in 2 weeks get them ready to not only win, but dominate their bowl game, is something very few interim head coaches have done.

Let's see if they can pull it off next Friday and even if Carey does leave for indiana, whoever gets the reigns next will inherit a team that knows how to win and will be hungry to play even better football next year.
11-28-2014 10:32 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(11-28-2014 10:29 PM)7 Wrote:  Plus he'll occasionally throw one like he did to Brown late in the first half when he takes one right in the face and still throws a dart.

Yeah dude, he's more balls than talent right now.
Djud Offline
Special Teams

Well played 7! The young kids have really stepped up. With that being said, the senior leadership on this team has been outstanding. Today was a program win, and it actually started 5 years ago. You don't win games like today unless you are use to winning. Thank God our kids don't panic (like many of the fans do on this site). This is a testament to the leadership of our upperclassmen. Great to see Durante step up today. One more win to to put this season among our best.
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

I got pretty frustrated during the first half, but the way this team plays in the second half gets me pumped up. I was in standing in front of the TV yelling and clapping when William Lee got that sack. When Folliard caused that fumble I shot up and was yelling like I was at he game. The Huskies play their best football when they are underdogs and have a chip on their shoulder. The Falcons better be ready, because the Huskies want revenge. See you guys in Detroit.
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

Was I the only one thinking of the 2011 MACC watching this game?

Once NIU scored and made it 21-17 and WMU went 3 and out on their next possession, my thought was "Huskies got this. WMUs rattled."
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2014 10:37 PM by BarsemaBone2.)
11-28-2014 10:34 PM
Hall of Famer

College football is so emotional. I've seen so many games completely change in such a short amount of time. I was discouraged early because even though WMU was turning the ball over like Jay Cutler, they were still moving the ball and scoring. The way the d stepped up (and the WMU confidence stepped down) was crazy to see. I said this in some other thread, but when the game got to 21-17 WMU, I just KNEW NIU was going to win. NIU had all the wind in their sails and WMU was rowing against the wind.
11-28-2014 10:36 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
11-28-2014 10:48 PM
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2014 10:48 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Folliard sack

I feel misled! But it was still to see this version of his sack.
11-28-2014 10:54 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

Re: RE: WMU Game Thoughts
(11-28-2014 10:54 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 10:48 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Folliard sack

I feel misled! But it was still to see this version of his sack.

Folliard looked like a hungry man on thanksgiving and Terrell was the old lady holding the turkey.
11-28-2014 11:01 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

Another weekday, another win for the Huskies. First half wasn't pretty, but the second half was a thing of beauty.

Lots of forced turnovers. NIU legit almost doubled up on forced turnovers on the season from today.

It's not often when you see a stat line with your QB under 50% completions, no RB over 100 yards, no receiver with more than 4 catches, less than 20 minutes of TOP that has the visitors win by 10.

The defense was junkyard dogs today. They did a good job of shutting down braverman, Davis, and Franklin. The pressure was incredible, the intensity was high, and they got after the ball.

Did anyone else notice that the coordinators were on the sidelines today? Any reason why not upstairs?

It hasn't been pretty, but man I love the results of this season. So many guys got a chance to develop and they also got to win doing it. The amount of freshman and sophomores that are big time players right now is awesome. Need to keep it rolling.

Let's hope they can finally put it all together and get a big W next week. As always, today was a great day to be a Huskie!
11-28-2014 11:08 PM
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
Its official, there will be no qb competition next year, its Hares job!
11-28-2014 11:10 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Coordinators had to come down to the sidelines because NIU's headsets died...again.
11-28-2014 11:12 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(11-28-2014 11:12 PM)7 Wrote:  Coordinators had to come down to the sidelines because NIU's headsets died...again.

Thought that might have been the case.

Also, I'm curious to see the all MAC teams this week.

Any guesses on NIU honorees?

Also, guesses on MAC coach of the year, Offensive MVP, defensive MVP, and Vern Smith?
11-28-2014 11:13 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Coach of the year and Vern Smith are likely Peej and Franklin. Somebody on the defense should get player of the week honors but I'm not sure if they will.
11-28-2014 11:15 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

Re: RE: WMU Game Thoughts
(11-28-2014 11:15 PM)7 Wrote:  Coach of the year and Vern Smith are likely Peej and Franklin. Somebody on the defense should get player of the week honors but I'm not sure if they will.

More apt question may be how many NIU players make 1st team all MAC? Loos maybe? Wedel? Rock?
11-28-2014 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.