Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Appears AAC first G5 knocked out of Access Bowl shot
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Appears AAC first G5 knocked out of Access Bowl shot
There champion will have Three losses at best. No other conference has that many losses for a potential champion yet.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 11:08 PM by msm96wolf.)
11-13-2014 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Appears AAC first G5 knocked out of Access Bowl shot
Boise is now rooting for Rice, perhaps even rooting for them twice. This week and the ccg.
11-13-2014 11:10 PM
BLEEDBLUE81 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Boisestate
Boise has its own Business to tend to, SDSU and Utah st are better than anything Marshall will see
11-13-2014 11:14 PM
Waterloo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: State U of IOWA
I agree, the eventual AAC Conference leader is gone.

I think the MWC Champ is going to get it.
11-13-2014 11:15 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(11-13-2014 11:08 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  There champion will have Three losses at best. No other conference has that many losses for a potential champion yet.

Not sure Georgia Southern is bowl eligible for the Sun Belt. Everyone else has 3 losses or more. NIU leads in MAC, but is only one with 2 losses or less and would still have a ccg, in addition to having to beat their co-leader WMU. There are only 3 and 4 loss teams in MW-West-so an upset in the ccg leaves them with a 3 or 4 loss champ. Marshall is the only one with less than 3 losses in CUSA and could end up with 2 losses just to Rice with Rice champ.

Lots of possibilities left with 3 conferences having championship games.
11-13-2014 11:16 PM
BLEEDBLUE81 Offline
Water Engineer

As of now this Boise fan believes that Coloradost is most deserving, but if we win out somehow at 11-2 I think we would very much belong! Sdsu, at Wyoming, Utahst and a potential CCG rematch with Nevada will be a tough road tho
11-13-2014 11:21 PM
Advertisement

stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I'm not going to sit here and argue Cincy's merits for an access bowl, because quite frankly, they won't deserve it even if they win this conference, but looking at their wins and losses, UC deserves a decent bowl and a good matchup if they win out, which the schedule shapes up for nicely.
11-14-2014 12:15 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(11-13-2014 11:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  Boise is now rooting for Rice, perhaps even rooting for them twice. This week and the ccg.

don't know that Boise has to root for Rice at all. The committee has shown with FSU that being undefeated isn't an end all be all.
11-14-2014 01:00 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(11-14-2014 01:00 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 11:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  Boise is now rooting for Rice, perhaps even rooting for them twice. This week and the ccg.

don't know that Boise has to root for Rice at all. The committee has shown with FSU that being undefeated isn't an end all be all.

But it might well be enough to send a 13-0 Marshall to the Charity Bowl over an 11-2 Boise State. Boise's loss to Ole Miss is one thing, but does a G5 losing to Air Force get forgiven the same way Oregon losing to Arizona does? Or does Boise STate have a strong enough OOC win to boost them the way MSU boosts Oregon?

If Marshall stays undefeated, Boise State might or might not get the Access Bowl. If Marshall has a loss, Boise State is a strong favorite.
11-14-2014 06:32 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-14-2014 06:32 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(11-13-2014 11:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  
If Marshall stays undefeated, Boise State might or might not get the Access Bowl. If Marshall has a loss, Boise State is a strong favorite.

agree,
11-14-2014 08:06 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-13-2014 11:08 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  There champion will have Three losses at best. No other conference has that many losses for a potential champion yet.

That is what I tend to think. 3 losses isn't a NY6 type record for anyone so I don't see how you can expect it for a G5 school when there are schools with 0, 1, 2 losses sitting out there.

Marshall could still lose CUSA if they lose out and finish 9-3. Middle Tennessee is 4-1 in CUSA and could take the division if Marshall drops 2 of its final 3. Marshall also has to get past 6-0 Louisiana Tech at home in the title game. Its looking good for them but they could stumble.

Boise State has 2 losses and Colorado State has 1. Both play in the best G5 division this year so if one of them finishes with less than 2 losses I don't see an AAC team getting a NY6 over them.

NIU has to play Ohio and WMU on the road plus a MAC Championship in Detroit which is also on the road. Its only 50-50 for them they finish with 2 losses and less and they certainly wouldn't deserve it ahead an MWC team. Statistically they don't look the part of an NY6 type of team (55th/59th).

At least Colorado State (30th/38th) and Boise State (17th/88th) look like marginal Top 20 teams. Marshall is the only one that looks like true NY6 material (2nd/6th) on both sides of the ball.
11-14-2014 08:26 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

But it might well be enough to send a 13-0 Marshall to the Charity Bowl over an 11-2 Boise State. Boise's loss to Ole Miss is one thing, but does a G5 losing to Air Force get forgiven the same way Oregon losing to Arizona does? Or does Boise STate have a strong enough OOC win to boost them the way MSU boosts Oregon?

Really do not think so. I don't think the committee views being undefeated as being an end all be all trump card. See Florida St/Oregon. Also, Air Force I don't think to the committee is viewed as being this poison pill that some on here are making it out to be. They are 7-2 right now. They beat Navy by 9(the same team that got beat by ND by 10 and OSU by 17).
11-14-2014 09:27 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(11-14-2014 09:27 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Really do not think so. I don't think the committee views being undefeated as being an end all be all trump card. See Florida St/Oregon. Also, Air Force I don't think to the committee is viewed as being this poison pill that some on here are making it out to be. They are 7-2 right now. They beat Navy by 9(the same team that got beat by ND by 10 and OSU by 17).

Don't think Boise has the wins to beat out an unbeaten Marshall. Think it would be really bad from a public relations standpoint as well. Now a 1 loss CSU might beat them out, but not a 2 loss team. IMO if you are the only unbeaten, nobody in the G5 has a better argument.
11-14-2014 09:32 AM
BLEEDBLUE81 Offline
Water Engineer

(11-14-2014 09:32 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Don't think Boise has the wins to beat out an unbeaten Marshall. Think it would be really bad from a public relations standpoint as well. Now a 1 loss CSU might beat them out, but not a 2 loss team. IMO if you are the only unbeaten, nobody in the G5 has a better argument.
Unless the team in question plays the worst Schuedule in the history of division 1 football at which point ALL BETS ARE OFF!
11-14-2014 09:41 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-14-2014 09:32 AM)bullet Wrote:  

I think it would be worse from a public relations standpoint to reward Marshall for playing absolutely no one. Boise actually had some stones to play 2 good teams OOC along with being in a better conference.

Right now:
Marshall SOS 29-52
Boise SOS 48-27

that's more than enough to withstand 2 extra wins. If it was 12-1 vs 10-3, Boise would have it. This committee is showing that being undefeated doesn't mean anything, you have to actually have substance behind it. You aren't getting gifted because you don't play anyone.
11-14-2014 09:46 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

They should since the committee is supposedly evaluating teams, not ranking conferences.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 10:35 AM by vandiver49.)
11-14-2014 09:57 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

What win on Marshall's schedule remotely comes close to the Colorado State win? Heck- BYU could wind up 8-4 and be better than anything else on Marshall's schedule as well.
11-14-2014 10:05 AM
tigersmoke1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UniversityofMem
Bullet no offense but your type of uninformed had no time to pay attention to detail pov is what Marshall is counting on. The bad presidence that awarding a undefeated team with only 1 win against a team with a winning record would be game changing to the rest of the g5. Why would playing good teams matter if playing as many dregs you can and piling up empty wins is better
11-14-2014 10:06 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I also think the thing that is happening with Marshall is that if it was a traditional poll where the 12 people would just rank the teams 1-25 and do 25,24,23, etc. Marshall would probably be safe. But given the way they are doing it, a minority of voters can't force Marshall in there.
11-14-2014 10:10 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Marshall still not in the poll. Oregon ranked ahead of Florida State.

The committee isn't fooled by schools' undefeated records due to weak scheduling. I still like Boise's (or Colorado State's) chances.
11-14-2014 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.