Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drug testing welfare recipients - great idea!!
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Drug testing welfare recipients - great idea!!
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/08...-positive/

Out of over 800 tested in my great state of TN, only one has tested positive...
08-24-2014 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: Drug testing welfare recipients - great idea!!
It's not hard to beat a drug test when you know it's coming.
08-24-2014 11:32 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(08-24-2014 11:29 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/08...-positive/

Good. Glad to see that the benefits are not being used improperly.

I found one thing interesting in that article. The author makes a case to end this program because of the theory that it takes away money from the system that could go to those in need. That is a valid point...but...He fails to mention that already aprox. 75% of the funds allocated for public assistance are already gobbled up by the middle class bureaucrats that administer the programs.

If the author was a thinking and diligent person? He would be advocating for an end to all these government programs and support a shift toward private charity....which coincidently returns almost 80% of its funding to its intended purposes. Instead...he chose (probably due to ignorance) to concentrate on one aspect of government waste instead of attacking the entire system that needs overhaul.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 11:46 AM by Fo Shizzle.)
08-24-2014 11:45 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Private charity isn't a replacement for govt assistance. It's important that every American knows should they fall on hard times, their government is there to help them with SNAP, Unemployment, Section 8, WIC, etc

You can judge a society by how it treats those at the bottom.

Moreover, testing is a waste of money...800 people tested...1 tested positive.
08-24-2014 11:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-24-2014 11:32 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  It's not hard to beat a drug test when you know it's coming.

Everything else has been ruled unconstitutional...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/us/flo....html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/10/us/law...oided.html
08-24-2014 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
25% of the money allotted for actual recipients, with 75% going to pencil-pushers?

You're right, Drew. A private charity operating like this would end up behind bars.
08-24-2014 11:57 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-24-2014 11:57 AM)Smaug Wrote:  25% of the money allotted for actual recipients, with 75% going to pencil-pushers?

You're right, Drew. A private charity operating like this would end up behind bars.

Sounds like our health system...more paper-pushers than doctors.
08-24-2014 11:58 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Your tax dollars at work.
08-24-2014 12:01 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(08-24-2014 11:29 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/08...-positive/

Did you read the damned article??? The only people tested were ones who answered yes to one of three questions. And you think that qualifies as only 1 in 800 testing positive for drugs? Just answer no, and you dont get tested.

You should have seen 1 in 800 positive to know that was a bull**** result. If you test 800 people, you are going to get more than one test positive, no matter who you test.
08-24-2014 12:03 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(08-24-2014 12:03 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

Did you read the damned article??? The only people tested were ones who answered yes to one of three questions. And you think that qualifies as only 1 in 800 testing positive for drugs? Just answer no, and you dont get tested.

You should have seen 1 in 800 positive to know that was a bull**** result. If you test 800 people, you are going to get more than one test positive, no matter who you test.

typical conservative ==> can't admit when they are wrong.
08-24-2014 12:05 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(08-24-2014 12:05 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

typical conservative ==> can't admit when they are wrong.

typical liberal, falls for a slanted headline, but cant comprehend the details.
08-24-2014 12:07 PM
Advertisement

pharaoh0 Offline
Triggered by Microaggressions

I Root For: Duke, L'ville
Okay everyone....let's read the article and analyze the STUPIDITY of the author:

Quote:Applicants have to answer three questions about drug use to get benefits, and if they answer yes to any of them, they get referred to urine testing....

In the month since it began, six people submitted to a drug test and just one tested positive out of the 812 people who applied. Four were turned down for benefits because they refused to participate in drug screening.

In other words, of the 812 applicants, we know 10 people were dumb enough to answer the questions truthfully, given their usage of drugs. And of those, four of them knew what the test would say and one of them thought they could beat the test.

So, unless you're dumb enough to affirmatively answer the drug questions, you are not asked to take the test.

Good grief...do liberals/progressives ever think for themselves or just parrot dumb stuff all the time.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 12:09 PM by pharaoh0.)
08-24-2014 12:08 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators

Yes, because that's how the system works.

I'm glad you see testing is a waste of money.

Everything else has been struck down by the court.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/us/flo....html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/10/us/law...oided.html
08-24-2014 12:09 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-24-2014 12:08 PM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  Okay everyone....let's read the article and analyze the STUPIDITY of the author:

Quote:Applicants have to answer three questions about drug use to get benefits, and if they answer yes to any of them, they get referred to urine testing....

In the month since it began, six people submitted to a drug test and just one tested positive out of the 812 people who applied. Four were turned down for benefits because they refused to participate in drug screening.

In other words, of the 812 applicants, we know 10 people were dumb enough to answer the questions truthfully, given their usage of drugs. And of those, four of them knew what the test would say and one of them thought they could beat the test.

So, unless you're dumb enough to affirmatively answer the drug questions, you are not asked to take the test.

The author simply explained the system...I believe you mean the stupidity of the drug testing system.
08-24-2014 12:10 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes

1. This proves that getting people to take drug tests to get Welfare actually works in getting them to stop taking drugs.

2. So one person failed. How many men around the country got Obamacare mammograms?
08-24-2014 12:11 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-24-2014 12:11 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

1. This proves that getting people to take drug tests to get Welfare actually works in getting them to stop taking drugs.

2. So one person failed. How many men around the country got Obamacare mammograms?

So your contention is they were all on drugs before...then they found out about the questions...and they all decided to stop drugs?

03-lmfao

Wow.
08-24-2014 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(08-24-2014 11:58 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(08-24-2014 11:57 AM)Smaug Wrote:  25% of the money allotted for actual recipients, with 75% going to pencil-pushers?

And the the government taking it over will make this better or worse?
08-24-2014 12:15 PM
pharaoh0 Offline
Triggered by Microaggressions

I Root For: Duke, L'ville
(08-24-2014 12:10 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(08-24-2014 12:08 PM)pharaoh0 Wrote:  Okay everyone....let's read the article and analyze the STUPIDITY of the author:

The author simply explained the system...I believe you mean the stupidity of the drug testing system.

Nah...I mean the stupidity of the author and the progressives/liberals that skew information to spread mistruths.

The next step is just to adopt the same system as public housing, based on reasonable suspicion. Anyone being honest with themselves knows how much drug usage goes on with welfare recipients. Now, we just need a system that will catch them and pass legal muster...because I refuse to see my tax dollars go to people that can afford dope, crack, and meth.
08-24-2014 12:15 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

And the biggest reason for all the paper-pushers? Tons of paperwork created by the nanny state government.
08-24-2014 12:17 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-24-2014 12:17 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

And the biggest reason for all the paper-pushers? Tons of paperwork created by the nanny state government.

I know, I blame our single payer system...oh wait, we don't have one of those...maybe we should.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 12:20 PM by UofMemphis.)
08-24-2014 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.