Appalachian State's Move to FBS
Bookmark and Share
Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
Appalachian State's Move to FBS
Appalachian State to complete move to Football Championship Series

Posted: Monday, Jun. 30, 2014

Appalachian State’s journey to bowl-subdivision football will be complete Tuesday.

That’s the day the Mountaineers will become official members of the Sun Belt Conference.

They will compete in every sport the league offers. The occasion will be marked with Sun Belt Day events, including a public reception at 5 p.m. featuring school, community and conference representatives at the Jones House Community Center in Boone.

Charlie Cobb, Appalachian’s athletics director, said the venture to a new level will be different but exciting.

“Appalachian deserves to be at the highest level attainable in athletics, and playing at the FBS level is part of that,” Cobb said. “It’s to raise our profile regionally and nationally.”

The move from the Football Championship Subdivision, where the Mountaineers competed as members of the Southern Conference, to a Football Bowl Subdivision conference will cost more, but Cobb expects to bring in additional revenue to compensate and said that is what makes the move fiscally feasible.

“Costs have increased, but we have been able to identify revenue streams to offset them to give us financial stability,” he said. “We certainly expect this to be a strong move for us financially.”

The Mountaineers’ proposed athletics budget for the coming school year is $20.65 million. That’s up from $18.5 million for 2013-14.

Costs for travel to compete in the more-expansive Sun Belt and for additional scholarships required to compete at the bowl level are expected to double. The projected budget for those two items is $2.45 million. Travel costs for all sports are expected to increase by $800,000 from the $1.2 million for the past academic year, and an additional $450,000 will be added to pay for additional scholarships.

Appalachian State also will take in more money, an expected $1.2 million after the first year in the league from a share of Sun Belt television and FBS postseason revenue. In the past, the Mountaineers received no SoCon television revenue and limited revenue from FCS playoff appearances.

Additional revenue will be generated from larger guarantees for nonconference road games against FBS opponents, some debt restructuring that will allow more money to go to the operating budget, a fee increase of $32 per student for athletics and the hope for continued increase in scholarship donations.

Because of the Sun Belt’s larger geographic footprint,travel distances will increase for eight of Appalachian’s 20 varsity teams – football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball – but aren’t expected to increase for the other 12 sports.

Ten teams won’t have regular-season games in the Sun Belt and will compete in a conference meet only. Wrestling will continue to compete in the SoCon, and field hockey will continue to play in the NorPac.

And although miles logged will increase overall, travel time won’t increase significantly, Cobb said. Teams will travel more by plane and less by bus.

“We think for a number of sports, we will actually spend less time away from campus,” he said.

The competition level will increase for football and other sports competing in the Sun Belt, but Cobb said there is optimism that Appalachian State will be competitive across the board.

But, for football at least, the FBS level will be different from the FCS level. The excitement of winning three FCS national titles might not be replicated, but the hope is that the upgrade to an FBS schedule and anticipation of a bowl bid will produce a buzz of its own.

“The caliber of teams that we will now be able to play, both home and away, will generate excitement,” Cobb said. “You look at the incredible run we went on in ’05, ’06 and ’07 and beating Michigan, you can’t compare. The reality is it’s two different animals.”

“Now the first goal is to get bowl eligible, basically six wins and maybe seven in the Sun Belt. You still want to win your conference, but to get to go to a bowl is like a celebration. You spend four or five days at a bowl site, and it’s great for the fans to be able to celebrate that success, and if you win, it tops it off with a great win to a great season. To me, those national-championship weeks when we went to Chattanooga was kind of similar to what a bowl feels like.”

“We’re at the highest level we can play at this point,” Satterfield said. “It’s exciting to be able to do that, to know that you’re playing against teams with 85 scholarships week in and week out and trying to prove yourself. If you’re good enough to win six, seven or eight ball games, you’ve had a great year.”
07-01-2014 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
RE: Appalachian State's Move to FBS
Michigan at Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA

Sat, Sep 06 CAMPBELL (Hall of Fame Day) BOONE, N.C. 6:00 p.m.
ESPN3

Sat, Sep 20 Southern Miss at Hattiesburg, Miss. TBA

Thu, Sep 25 Georgia Southern * at Statesboro Ga. 7:30 p.m.
ESPNU

Sat, Oct 04 SOUTH ALABAMA * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 11 LIBERTY (Homecoming) BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 18 Troy * at Troy, Ala. TBA

Sat, Nov 01 GEORGIA STATE (Family Weekend) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 08 LOUISIANA-MONROE (Black Saturday) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 15 Arkansas State * at Jonesboro, Ark. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 Louisiana-Lafayette * at Lafayette, La. TBA

Sat, Nov 29 IDAHO *

So App State has two games, Michigan and So Miss that look any different to me than an FCS schedule. We have Maryland, so they have one more game than us. The rest, look no different than JMU's schedule, IMO. Lets take the St. Francis games out of the equation as we are not playing those types of games going forward. Any of the rest more attractive than Delaware, W&M or Richmond? Not in my opinion, in fact Delaware, W&M and Richmond are more attractive to me.

ASU went 4-8 with a FCS schedule last year. Lets see how "exciting" this year is for them as they try to "prove" themselves against that schedule.
07-01-2014 09:37 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(07-01-2014 09:37 AM)PGJMU Wrote:  Michigan at Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA

Sat, Sep 06 CAMPBELL (Hall of Fame Day) BOONE, N.C. 6:00 p.m.
ESPN3

Sat, Sep 20 Southern Miss at Hattiesburg, Miss. TBA

Thu, Sep 25 Georgia Southern * at Statesboro Ga. 7:30 p.m.
ESPNU

Sat, Oct 04 SOUTH ALABAMA * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 11 LIBERTY (Homecoming) BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 18 Troy * at Troy, Ala. TBA

Sat, Nov 01 GEORGIA STATE (Family Weekend) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 08 LOUISIANA-MONROE (Black Saturday) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 15 Arkansas State * at Jonesboro, Ark. TBA

Sat, Nov 22 Louisiana-Lafayette * at Lafayette, La. TBA

Sat, Nov 29 IDAHO *

So App State has two games, Michigan and So Miss that look any different to me than an FCS schedule. We have Maryland, so they have one more game than us. The rest, look no different than JMU's schedule, IMO. Lets take the St. Francis games out of the equation as we are not playing those types of games going forward. Any of the rest more attractive than Delaware, W&M or Richmond? Not in my opinion, in fact Delaware, W&M and Richmond are more attractive to me.

ASU went 4-8 with a FCS schedule last year. Lets see how "exciting" this year is for them as they try to "prove" themselves against that schedule.

Wow, nice to hear this, but you might want to check out our future OOC schedules. It appears we will have some contracts to get out of or otherwise fulfill the terms in order to make your statement come true. Hope you are right.
07-01-2014 09:40 AM
Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

PGJMU is Lynn Rose
07-01-2014 09:46 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Re: Appalachian State's Move to FBS
The intentional misspelling is genius
07-01-2014 10:02 AM
PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
if we are doing name calling, Dukeman is chicken little.
07-01-2014 11:05 AM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2014 09:46 AM)Dukeman Wrote:  PGJMU is Lynn Rose

On the old board, he was Sherman Dillard.04-cheers
07-01-2014 11:16 AM
DMadison Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-01-2014 09:37 AM)PGJMU Wrote:  Any of the rest more attractive than Delaware, W&M or Richmond? Not in my opinion, in fact Delaware, W&M and Richmond are more attractive to me.

I agree.
07-01-2014 11:18 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
This is a perfect example of how you spin a situation to support what you want...Appy wanted to move and you get this article, JMU does not want move and we get the 180 degree opposite message from our AD, nothing but insurmountable obstacles and excuses or challenges beyond the pay grade of the JMU admin.

perfect example:
"Less time away from class due to flights in place of buses..."
07-01-2014 11:29 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(07-01-2014 11:29 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  This is a perfect example of how you spin a situation to support what you want...Appy wanted to move and you get this article, JMU does not want move and we get the 180 degree opposite message from our AD, nothing but insurmountable obstacles and excuses or challenges beyond the pay grade of the JMU admin.

perfect example:

Agree 100%. AppState had leadership that was aggressive and wanted to make something happen, and they did in a timely manner.

Not really sure what the 'beef' is with that schedule. I am happy playing Richmond or W&M as my FCS game but don't want both of them let alone some of the other CAA teams (elon, albany, maine, Rhode Island)
07-01-2014 11:48 AM
bridgeforthduke Online
All American

(07-01-2014 11:48 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 11:29 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  This is a perfect example of how you spin a situation to support what you want...Appy wanted to move and you get this article, JMU does not want move and we get the 180 degree opposite message from our AD, nothing but insurmountable obstacles and excuses or challenges beyond the pay grade of the JMU admin.

perfect example:

Agree 100%. AppState had leadership that was aggressive and wanted to make something happen, and they did in a timely manner.

Not really sure what the 'beef' is with that schedule. I am happy playing Richmond or W&M as my FCS game but don't want both of them let alone some of the other CAA teams (elon, albany, maine, Rhode Island)

You just made me realize that today is the day that Elon is officially in the CAA. How depressing.

Props to App State though. They knew what they wanted and they went for it even if it wasn't the most desirable spot.
07-01-2014 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(07-01-2014 11:48 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

perfect example:

It's all spin with schedule too...

Pro fbsers talk about OOC games with Pitt etcetera and ignore WMich
Pro fcsers talk about Rich & W&M and ignore Rhody & Elon
07-01-2014 12:11 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Western Michigan is a FB program to watch out for IMO. If Fleck can parlay his phenomenal recruiting into wins, they should surprise.
07-01-2014 02:56 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
(07-01-2014 11:18 AM)DMadison Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 09:37 AM)PGJMU Wrote:  Any of the rest more attractive than Delaware, W&M or Richmond? Not in my opinion, in fact Delaware, W&M and Richmond are more attractive to me.

I agree.

I disagree. Anyone who is not from Virginia or who doesn't remain in Virginia after graduation couldn't care less if we lose to or beat up upon William and Mary College or Richmond College. App State's schedule isn't sexy but it's better than JMU's schedule without question. Maybe this is a minority opinion or maybe it's one reason we don't see more alumni here.
07-01-2014 07:47 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2014 07:47 PM)madizoned-level2004 Wrote:  

I agree.

I disagree. Anyone who is not from Virginia or who doesn't remain in Virginia after graduation couldn't care less if we lose to or beat up upon William and Mary College or Richmond College. App State's schedule isn't sexy but it's better than JMU's schedule without question. Maybe this is a minority opinion or maybe it's one reason we don't see more alumni here.

My opinion is that Troy, S Alabama, and GA State will probably not draw any more, maybe even less than W&M, Richmond or Delaware. That is not my goal for FBS. I don't believe it was ECU's goal to be playing LA Tech, UAB, or MTSU, but rather the overwhelming compelling reason they chose to play those three on a regular basis is so they could also play Tech, Carolina, State, etc on a regular basis as well.

If we move to FBS and fail to capitalize on the opportunities, it will be a massive failure to have ever moved. I don't expect good scheduling for several years into it. But by year 5, we need to be firing on all cylinders with our schedule.
07-01-2014 08:28 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
(07-01-2014 08:28 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 07:47 PM)madizoned-level2004 Wrote:  

I agree.

My opinion is that Troy, S Alabama, and GA State will probably not draw any more, maybe even less than W&M, Richmond or Delaware. That is not my goal for FBS. I don't believe it was ECU's goal to be playing LA Tech, UAB, or MTSU, but rather the overwhelming compelling reason they chose to play those three on a regular basis is so they could also play Tech, Carolina, State, etc on a regular basis as well.

If we move to FBS and fail to capitalize on the opportunities, it will be a massive failure to have ever moved. I don't expect good scheduling for several years into it. But by year 5, we need to be firing on all cylinders with our schedule.

Yeah maybe, but Troy, So Alabama, and Geo St are the Rhode Island, Albany, and E-yawn of the Belt. Would a home game vs WM outdraw one vs App State? I'd think no, but I'm an out of touch out of stater who goes to a JMU game once in a blue moon, so perhaps I'm wrong.

A home game vs App or Ga So or some half decent OOC might get me down to Harrisonburg. WM, Richmond, etc. don't excite me in the least. Never have, and still don't. I think Delaware could grow up with us. I agree on your point about scheduling. I'd hope that with a mostly ho hum slate of conference mates in SBC, MAC, or wherever, we'd get some exciting OOC match ups in the mix.
07-01-2014 09:15 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
A few points.

1) Any moveup is going to have a sh*tty OOC schedule for the first couple of years. FBS schedules are made up to a decade in advance. Its not what App has on the schedule this year, its what they'll have on the schedule in 2016, 2017, and beyond. If JMU ever lands in FBS, they'll have a similar schedule (even if they get a MAC or CUSA bid). Actually, its possible JMU's schedule will look worse, because all the new programs might have locked up all the P5 teams that are willing to travel to G5 schools for the next decade or so. I think you can see the difference between teams that got into FBS before App and Ga Southern (USA, ODU, UTSA, and Texas State have NC State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Virginia Tech, etc. on their home schedules), while App and Ga Southern haven't managed to land anyone like that yet. They will eventually, but it will take time. There's a limited universe of P5 teams that will go to G5 stadiums. We all know who they are and our AD's hit the phones trying to sign them up.

2) Troy is no slouch when it comes to FBS. While a game with Troy might not be a big draw for JMU fans in the first year of competition (or USA for that matter), you'd learn to respect that team and look forward to that game rather quickly. I don't think we'll ever find out though.

3) Georgia State has had its problems, but they did beat URI if I recall correctly. I hope they've fixed their issues and will be more competitive this year. Judging by how they played towards the end of the season, I have reason to believe they're on the road to competitiveness.

We're happy with App. App is happy with us. They understand what is in store for them from a competition standpoint this coming year (its likely to be a losing season) and what the challenges are for scheduling for a first year transitional FBS program. App also understood where they could get in the door and went for it, recognizing that perfect shouldn't be the enemy of 'better'.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 09:40 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
07-01-2014 09:24 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2014 09:24 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  A few points.

1) Any moveup is going to have a sh*tty OOC schedule for the first couple of years. FBS schedules are made up to a decade in advance. Its not what App has on the schedule this year, its what they'll have on the schedule in 2016, 2017, and beyond. If JMU ever lands in FBS, they'll have a similar schedule (even if they get a MAC or CUSA bid). Actually, its possible JMU's schedule will look worse, because all the new programs might have locked up all the P5 teams that are willing to travel to G5 schools for the next decade or so. I think you can see the difference between teams that got into FBS before App and Ga Southern (USA, ODU, UTSA, and Texas State have NC State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Virginia Tech, etc. on their home schedules), while App and Ga Southern haven't managed to land anyone like that yet. They will eventually, but it will take time. There's a limited universe of P5 teams that will go to G5 stadiums. We all know who they are and our AD's hit the phones trying to sign them up.

2) Troy is no slouch when it comes to FBS. While a game with Troy might not be a big draw for JMU fans in the first year of competition (or USA for that matter), you'd learn to respect that team and look forward to that game rather quickly. I don't think we'll ever find out though.

3) Georgia State has had its problems, but they did beat URI if I recall correctly. I hope they've fixed their issues and will be more competitive this year. Judging by how they played towards the end of the season, I have reason to believe they're on the road to competitiveness.

We're happy with App. App is happy with us. They understand what is in store for them from a competition standpoint this coming year (its likely to be a losing season) and what the challenges are for scheduling for a first year transitional FBS program. App also understood where they could get in the door and went for it, recognizing that perfect shouldn't be the enemy of 'better'.

Sorry, but you're certifiably insane if you think JMU's fan base would EVER look forward to playing Troy on a regular basis. But thanks for the belly laugh.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 12:55 AM by Longhorn.)
07-01-2014 11:07 PM
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Just as a heads up: I like JMU, I really do.

Moving on: The attitude I get from some of the fans on this forum is just outrageous. You criticize your leaders when they don't give you what you want, you criticize other schools for pulling the trigger, and then you criticize every other aspect of the game.

Is Appalachian State's schedule this season stellar? No, it's not. You know when Appalachian State officially accepted the Sun Belt's invite? Last year. To be able to even snag a FBS team that late in the game as an OOC game is awesome, in my opinion.

Will Appalachian State's schedule get better? Of course. Appalachian and Wake Forest once had a great rivalry. I expect to see that continue one day. We also have Charlotte on the schedule soon.

On that note, Appalachian State is happy with the Sun Belt. We are happy with the way we have been treated since day one. Nearly every school in the conference is very humble and legitimately wants to see the conference grow and stabilize. We want to see that, too. Our conference schedule is tough this year, but playing games against Georgia Southern, Troy, USA, ULL, and AState is something to look forward to, as each of those teams brings something different that Appalachian State will have to adapt to.

"Appalachian State's schedule is no better than JMU's this year." If that is what you think, I welcome James Madison to continue to play the Coastal Carolinas and Elons of the FCS while Appalachian State attracts teams like ODU, Marshall, and East Carolina to Boone over the next decade. I'm not trying to be bitter here, but to belittle another school for pulling the trigger and making a move before it's too late is just ridiculous.

For some fans on this forum, anything short of the ACC is not good enough for James Madison, and I hate to break it to those fans, but you're not ACC. Appalachian State is not ACC. ODU is not ACC. I hope you get the MAC invite you have been dreaming of for so long so you can compete against the oh so attractive Eastern Michigan Eagles, Ball State Cardinals, and Kent State Golden Flashes. Until you have that invite in hand, think twice before you criticize those of us who had the leadership committed to the jump and the fans there to back it up.

Again, I like JMU... I don't like the cockiness of a few of your fans.

As a side note: If this is something common out of JMU fans, I sincerely hope the Sun Belt never extends an invite your way again. No conference or conference member deserves to be looked down upon by somebody that isn't even tall enough to do the looking.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 11:39 PM by 8993.)
07-01-2014 11:35 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Boss, settle down. Pretending 2-3 SBC haters speak for all of us is ridiculous. I would challenge you to find posts where JMU fans are critical of App for making the FBS move. I think maybe you just assumed something that wasn't written. Don't let 1 or 2 haters get you worked up.
07-02-2014 12:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.