Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn, Rutgers, & USF fans ... what do we
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
UConn, Rutgers, & USF fans ... what do we
do if the other three go to the Big 12? I doubt we can still pull together UCF, SMU, Houston, ECU, Temple, etc. to form a conference. Does anyone think that's possible?

Do we go indie? I'm ok with that. It won't be easy.

Do we join the new C-USA & MWC cluster? I've had season tickets for SMU, and C-USA FB isn't bad - there are some good programs. There's also a ton of dead weight in that "alliance". Call me a snob, but UAB, UNLV, and San Jose State don't float my boat.

UConn's plight is all Calhoun's fault. If he had let BC win a game or two in the Big East, they wouldn't fear UConn as much as they do. They'll never get over that 23 or 24 straight game beat down.
10-23-2011 09:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: UConn, Rutgers, & USF fans ... what do we
Try to get the B12 to do a merger. Not saying we should try to latch on to UL's coat tails, but they could say to the B12, hey, you want us, you do a BE merger.

Second option is to pull in all the top quality Cusa teams. The BE still has an AQ for the time being. So you pull in UCF, UH, SMU, AFA, Navy, Boise St. That gives you 9. Now you add Temple and ECU, now you are at 11. USM looks pretty good right now, so maybe you add them to get o 12.
10-23-2011 09:20 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Yes we still add those teams and they will come because its still a better deal BCS and TV wise. Going indy would not work for our schools.

So you just add three others. I would say from ECU, Temple, Memphis, San Diego State in the west

EAST: UConn, Rutgers, USF, UCF, Navy, ECU
WEST: Memphis, SMU, Houston, Air Force, Boise, San Diego State

BYU could be an option but not sure they would go for it and remain indy
10-23-2011 09:21 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Shouldn't this be on the realignment board?
10-23-2011 09:30 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

Sorry, I just don't see the Memphis add. USM would be a better add. They are much better in football and that's what we need. Who cares about basketball.
10-23-2011 09:32 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
from what i'm hearing they interested in wv only so we grab 1 more school. southern miss is solid fb and will only get better in a bcs brand. do they have rabid fans like ecu??
10-23-2011 09:36 PM
Advertisement

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
We all drive up to Providence and raid the BE offices. We grab Marinatto by his ears, drag him out to the parking lot and burn him at the stake. Then we set fire to the building as well. I can't believe that my school is still stuck in this train wreck of a conference and is going to have to ride out this slow motion disaster.

The best we can hope for is to retain our BCS AQ status. Then either as a new conference or as part of this cluster, convince the top of the MWC & C-USA to come on board. If that can be pulled off, I'd give things a couple of years to settle down and then expand again. Temple, UMass, BYU, Memphis, ECU, GaSt and Charlotte should all be considered for future membership.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 09:46 PM by mikeinsec127.)
10-23-2011 09:43 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(10-23-2011 09:30 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Shouldn't this be on the realignment board?

It concerns what could be the only three remaining Big East schools as of tomorrow. If you don't want to participate in this thread, then don't.
10-23-2011 09:58 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
We've been an independent most of our history if we have to do it again we will. It'll be a struggle, but it may be just the kick in the ass Rutgers needs to finally get its house in order.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 09:59 PM by brista21.)
10-23-2011 09:59 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(10-23-2011 09:58 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

It concerns what could be the only three remaining Big East schools as of tomorrow. If you don't want to participate in this thread, then don't.

no way hosey i think byu goes big12 if not wv, it hurts, they should be reblaced by southern miss not ecu.....
10-23-2011 10:02 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(10-23-2011 09:32 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Sorry, I just don't see the Memphis add. USM would be a better add. They are much better in football and that's what we need. Who cares about basketball.

Apparantly Notre Dame. They care enough about it, and is getting irate enough at the BE for apparantly not, that they are looking to put all their non-fb sports into the B12.
10-23-2011 10:16 PM
Advertisement

Tampa Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
I'm not so sure the BB schools would want to add 5 all sports schools to the BE to make the required 8. At that point I think Rutgers, UConn and USF would likely join the alliance for fb with everything else staying in the BE.

For that matter, I'm not so sure the BB schools want to add 4 all sports schools if/when UC is left behind. Houston, SMU, and UCF might be as far as they are willing to go unless Nova makes the jump.
10-24-2011 05:09 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-23-2011 10:16 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(10-23-2011 09:32 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Sorry, I just don't see the Memphis add. USM would be a better add. They are much better in football and that's what we need. Who cares about basketball.

Apparantly Notre Dame. They care enough about it, and is getting irate enough at the BE for apparantly not, that they are looking to put all their non-fb sports into the B12.

Actually what you are seeing is ND making sure it has options so they can remain indy. That's why the idea of them having to join acc is not realistic right now and reason why acc won't go to 16
10-24-2011 05:12 AM
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.Cincinnati
(10-23-2011 09:16 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  do if the other three go to the Big 12? I doubt we can still pull together UCF, SMU, Houston, ECU, Temple, etc. to form a conference. Does anyone think that's possible?

Do we go indie? I'm ok with that. It won't be easy.

Do we join the new C-USA & MWC cluster? I've had season tickets for SMU, and C-USA FB isn't bad - there are some good programs. There's also a ton of dead weight in that "alliance". Call me a snob, but UAB, UNLV, and San Jose State don't float my boat.

UConn's plight is all Calhoun's fault. If he had let BC win a game or two in the Big East, they wouldn't fear UConn as much as they do. They'll never get over that 23 or 24 straight game beat down.

The Big East has the BCS bid until 2014, so they will put a Big East football Conference together and try and keep the AQ bid after 2014. That;s better than begging to get an AQ. All these schools want to be in a BCS conference. The Big East gives them that opportunity. Lets' hope that W.Va., Cincy and Louisville don't go to the Big 12. But who know's what is going to happen. ( New Conf. example )
West Div: Boise State, Air Force, SMU, Houston, UCF, USF
East Div: Uconn, Rutgers, Navy, Temple, Villanova, ECU or Memphis
This group of schools will have a very good chance of keeping the BCS Bid if a number of them get ranked nationally over the next few years. . Mr.P3242
10-24-2011 05:23 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
My guess would be if those 3 leave, the Big East will no longer sponsor football. At that point the league will have 11 members. You would be at the mercy of the BB schools and they will have none. You will find somewhere to park your FB and then they will add one school to get to an even 12.
10-24-2011 06:19 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

not if you want a meaningful discussion without trolls....
10-24-2011 06:21 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I don't see UC going anywhere...so you can add UC to the "What should UCONN, RU, and USF" do when the other TWO bolt.....I think we are right there with ya.
10-24-2011 06:22 AM
nowcoogsrule Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Coogs
Don't worry. The Big 12 is only going to 10 for now with West Virginia. UT doesn't want a conference championship game and no other Big East team adds enough value to the Big 12.
10-24-2011 08:43 AM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville

Perhaps I shouldn't comment, since apparently this thread is based on Louisville not being around (which I'm not sure about, by the way). But Memphis has potential and market. Southern Miss is all it's ever going to be. Yes, they field some good football teams and are trending right now. But last December was a good example of what happens to a good Southern Miss team in a bowl match-up against a below average Big East team.

Memphis at least has a big market and the potential to become something more than it is. It's also got some interesting tie-ins to both a big corporation and a bowl. And where would opposing fans rather travel to - Hattiesburg or Memphis?

If Louisville sticks around, I'd advocate Memphis over a lot of teams, including Southern Miss. If Cincy can improve from what it was in CUSA to being perhaps the best performer in the Big East over the past 5 years, then Memphis can move up as well.
10-24-2011 10:59 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I don't think it realistic to think any of us could go independent.

We would be locked out of bowl games, face a yearly scheduling nightmare and have zero access to revenue for football TV rights.....which pay most of the bills. Those three things alone would kill any chance of going indy. Nevermind impact on season ticket sales, recruiting, marketing, perception etc...

There are only two real options: get MWC/CUSA teams to join the Big East, or the remaining 3/4 BE teams joining C-USA. The first option is the most realistic as several CUSA schools would actually improve their position by joining the Big East and working to keep its AQ status. Whereas if they stay in CUSA...they know for a fact that it has no chance to become AQ.

Obviously the best solution would be for the remaining 6 Big East school to sell themselves as a package deal but I don't see any current BigEast school holding out for the greater good to force a 16 member "Big12" conference.
10-24-2011 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.