Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best season ever in basketball for the Mountain West ?
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
They could get 5 or 6 tourney bids. That would be a record for them. This conference is clearly on the rise. I know realignment is done for football purposes first and foremost but the MWC would be foolish to let the Pac 2 dictate anything to them at this point because they have all the leverage. Because the MWC is so good in basketball now maybe OSU and WSU wont mind joining up. There's still some work to be done in football but it seems in football the MWC will rise with the Pac 12's demise. If the Pac 2 want indy for football and WCC for every other sport if they cant do the reverse merger with the MWC is that really better than joining the Mountain West at this point ?
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 01:09 AM by darkdragon99.)
02-19-2024 01:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Best season ever in basketball for the Mountain West ?
If they got 6 in it'd be a record. 2012-13 they got 5 teams in. 4 top 8 seeds in there.

I think they might get 6, but the seeds not as good as in that year.
02-19-2024 01:32 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(02-19-2024 01:07 AM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  They could get 5 or 6 tourney bids. That would be a record for them. This conference is clearly on the rise. I know realignment is done for football purposes first and foremost but the MWC would be foolish to let the Pac 2 dictate anything to them at this point because they have all the leverage. Because the MWC is so good in basketball now maybe OSU and WSU wont mind joining up. There's still some work to be done in football but it seems in football the MWC will rise with the Pac 12's demise. If the Pac 2 want indy for football and WCC for every other sport if they cant do the reverse merger with the MWC is that really better than joining the Mountain West at this point ?

The deal is the 2Pac Shakur have a more prestigious name, even if it's mostly an eggshell of what it was, and are sitting on a ton of exit fees and Tournament credits. The MWC has some of the latter but not much in the way of a name and nothing when it comes to exit fees.

It would benefit the best of the MWC (along with the best of the AAC and even the Sun Belt) to combine into a best-of-the-rest conference and leave the deadweight like San Jose State, Air Force (yeah, I get it, they're good but there's a limit on what they can be) and Wyoming behind. Boise, SDSU and Fresno are programs with a lot of potential if you could elevate their status some. I wouldn't go beyond 8-10. Here's who makes the cut:

2Pac Shakur:

Oregon State
Washington State

Mountain West:

Boise State
Colorado State (I get that it's hard to separate them from Wyoming and AFA; they aren't required)
Fresno State
San Diego State

AAC

Memphis
Tulane

Sun Belt

James Madison
Texas State

Alternates and/or Olympic sports members:

New Mexico (should you not be able to pry CSU from its rivals)
Rice (academics and market alone)
UTSA (lots of potential and no pro football)
UTEP (sleeping giant; no pro sports)
UNLV (has turned it around in football and a sexy name in basketball. NFL stadium and obsolete NBA caliber arena)
FAU (only if they make the Final Four this season)
South Florida (academics and recruiting)
Appalachian State (still too small time imo but has proven to be capable of being Top 25 caliber in football and able to turn heads nationally)
St. Mary's (could prove to be a sinkhole once Bennett is gone but if you want instant credibility and at-large bids in basketball, they would be a great place to look)
Gonzaga (they have ZERO incentive to leave the better institutional fit of the WCC or not wait out the call from a major conference but certainly wouldn't hurt to see if they're interested)
Grand Canyon (lots of money and potential)
Liberty (see GCU)
Hawaii (distance is the main problem but a solid state flagship and market)
East Carolina (has proven they have rapid fan support in the past, just hasn't put it together on the football field to maintain it)
02-19-2024 04:50 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Still don't understand why Gonzaga doesn't want to join. If Gonzaga was in the WCC and was in the top six, they'd be in the NCAAT this season no doubt. Now in the WCC they have to win or probably at worst second to St. Mary's without BYU in the conference anymore.
02-19-2024 07:08 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(02-19-2024 07:08 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Still don't understand why Gonzaga doesn't want to join. If Gonzaga was in the MWC and was in the top six, they'd be in the NCAAT this season no doubt. Now in the WCC they have to win or probably at worst second to St. Mary's without BYU in the conference anymore.

Fixed

And the answer is Gonzaga has better options, including staying in and dominating like minded schools in the WCC. There's not a single similar school like them in the MWC.
02-19-2024 07:41 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
(02-19-2024 01:07 AM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  They could get 5 or 6 tourney bids. That would be a record for them. This conference is clearly on the rise. I know realignment is done for football purposes first and foremost but the MWC would be foolish to let the Pac 2 dictate anything to them at this point because they have all the leverage. Because the MWC is so good in basketball now maybe OSU and WSU wont mind joining up. There's still some work to be done in football but it seems in football the MWC will rise with the Pac 12's demise. If the Pac 2 want indy for football and WCC for every other sport if they cant do the reverse merger with the MWC is that really better than joining the Mountain West at this point ?

I don't think they are actually on the rise as much as their scheduling strategy was built for the NET. The last three years they got way overseeded and way too many teams in the tournament. If SDST loses to CofC last year like they almost did, the conference would be 0-10 in the last 3 years in the NCAAs.
02-19-2024 10:07 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(02-19-2024 10:07 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

I don't think they are actually on the rise as much as their scheduling strategy was built for the NET. The last three years they got way overseeded and way too many teams in the tournament. If SDST loses to CofC last year like they almost did, the conference would be 0-10 in the last 3 years in the NCAAs.

The NET, at least from my understanding, is less dependent on SOS than the old RPI.

And what's wrong with encouraging schools to play tough non conference schedules? Why not encourage it?
02-19-2024 10:16 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The Bracket Matrix has six teams in (seed in parentheses):

SDSU (5)
Utah State (6)
Colorado State (7)
New Mexico (9)
Boise State (10)
Nevada (11)

The way the NET is calculated, having this many opportunities for more Quad 1 or 2 wins the rest of the way can only help, even if the Committee only pays a little attention to it. Nevada and Boise probably need to avoid any bad losses, though, as the Committee could be looking for ways to give one of those bids to another conference
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 10:38 AM by ken d.)
02-19-2024 10:35 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 10:16 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

The NET, at least from my understanding, is less dependent on SOS than the old RPI.

And what's wrong with encouraging schools to play tough non conference schedules? Why not encourage it?

Take New Mexico for example. Didn't play a soul in the non-conference and lost to St Mary's when they were bad. Currently sitting at 24 in the NET and have a resume of what should be a poorly seeded NIT team. Currently projected in comfortably.

You can apply this exercise to most of the other projected NCAA bound schools. Utah St/Boise St are also guilty. They schedule alot of mediocre teams and blow them out while losing all games of quality. They suddenly get in conference and their inflated NET allows them to start picking up resume wins against other pretenders.

Its not their fault the NET is garbage, but it is so easy to expose them for what they are.
02-19-2024 11:07 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(02-19-2024 11:07 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

Take New Mexico for example. Didn't play a soul in the non-conference and lost to St Mary's when they were bad. Currently sitting at 24 in the NET and have a resume of what should be a poorly seeded NIT team. Currently projected in comfortably.

You can apply this exercise to most of the other projected NCAA bound schools. Utah St/Boise St are also guilty. They schedule alot of mediocre teams and blow them out while losing all games of quality. They suddenly get in conference and their inflated NET allows them to start picking up resume wins against other pretenders.

Its not their fault the NET is garbage, but it is so easy to expose them for what they are.

The NET isn't garbage, but it isn't perfect either. The MWC have figured out how to do what the Power conferences do. Crush cupcakes, win at home, play a few neutral site games, don't play on the road OOC if you can help it. Makes your above average teams look like juggernauts and once you get to conference play winning/losing against each other doesn't hurt you any more.
02-19-2024 11:15 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-19-2024 11:15 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

The NET isn't garbage, but it isn't perfect either. The MWC have figured out how to do what the Power conferences do. Crush cupcakes, win at home, play a few neutral site games, don't play on the road OOC if you can help it. Makes your above average teams look like juggernauts and once you get to conference play winning/losing against each other doesn't hurt you any more.

Bracketologists seem to agree that New Mexico's #24 NET ranking is too high. But the fact that they are projected by the Bracket Matrix as a #9 seed suggests they shouldn't be a poorly seeded NIT team either.
02-19-2024 11:31 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

top teams sure as hell didn't get the memo on the scheduling OOC....
SDSU 3 road games, 3 neutral
Utah St 2 road, 4 neutral
Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
New Mexico 2 road, 4 neutral
Colorado St 2 road, 3 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral
02-19-2024 11:32 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 11:32 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 10:07 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I don't think they are actually on the rise as much as their scheduling strategy was built for the NET. The last three years they got way overseeded and way too many teams in the tournament. If SDST loses to CofC last year like they almost did, the conference would be 0-10 in the last 3 years in the NCAAs.

Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral

2 road games per is pretty lean.

WKU is a basketball centric and played 5 true road games in OOC.

I think you would struggle to find another "non-power" conference that averages 2 OOC road games over their top 6 programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-19-2024 11:48 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2024 11:48 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 10:16 AM)schmolik Wrote:  The NET, at least from my understanding, is less dependent on SOS than the old RPI.

Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral

I think you would struggle to find another "non-power" conference that averages 2 OOC road games over their top 6 programs.

MWC a whole hell of a lot different than C-USA. It just is.
02-19-2024 11:53 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 11:53 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 11:07 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  Take New Mexico for example. Didn't play a soul in the non-conference and lost to St Mary's when they were bad. Currently sitting at 24 in the NET and have a resume of what should be a poorly seeded NIT team. Currently projected in comfortably.

Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral

Not debating that. They are clearly spending money on home games that many other programs and conference outside the "have's" are not. That was my point. NET isn't really to blame for them crushing opponents at home. Most programs win at home. The MWC won at home and did so convincingly which is why the robots like them so much. Other conferences have a couple programs here and there that do the same, but then they get to conference play and have to go on the road and since everyone else didn't pad their schedule accordingly they get drug down into the murk when they lose.
02-19-2024 11:57 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2024 11:57 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 11:15 AM)freshtop Wrote:  The NET isn't garbage, but it isn't perfect either. The MWC have figured out how to do what the Power conferences do. Crush cupcakes, win at home, play a few neutral site games, don't play on the road OOC if you can help it. Makes your above average teams look like juggernauts and once you get to conference play winning/losing against each other doesn't hurt you any more.

Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral

Not debating that. They are clearly spending money on home games that many other programs and conference outside the "have's" are not. That was my point. NET isn't really to blame for them crushing opponents at home. Most programs win at home. The MWC won at home and did so convincingly which is why the robots like them so much. Other conferences have a couple programs here and there that do the same, but then they get to conference play and have to go on the road and since everyone else didn't pad their schedule accordingly they get drug down into the murk when they lose.

Half of their OOC games were on the road. That's not ******* gaming the system. This isn't what the MVC did years ago.

Part of why they're so high in the NET is they actually WON on the road/neutral....
SDSU 4-2
Utah St 5-1
Boise 3-3
New Mexico 5-1
Colorado St 5-0
Nevada 5-1

That's pretty darn good.
02-19-2024 12:04 PM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 12:04 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 11:32 AM)stever20 Wrote:  top teams sure as hell didn't get the memo on the scheduling OOC....
Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral

Half of their OOC games were on the road. That's not ******* gaming the system. This isn't what the MVC did years ago.

Part of why they're so high in the NET is they actually WON on the road/neutral....
SDSU 4-2
Utah St 5-1
Boise 3-3
New Mexico 5-1
Colorado St 5-0
Nevada 5-1

That's pretty darn good.

Most of them played nobodies. SDSU sure. CoSt sure. The others? Might as well have been playing high school teams.
02-19-2024 12:15 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

(02-19-2024 11:32 AM)stever20 Wrote:  top teams sure as hell didn't get the memo on the scheduling OOC....
Boise 1 road, 5 neutral
Nevada 2 road, 4 neutral

SDSU 4-2
Utah St 5-1
Boise 3-3
New Mexico 5-1
Colorado St 5-0
Nevada 5-1

That's pretty darn good.

Absolutely. The MWC is good. Winning on the road is a great indicator. Winning neutral site games is good as well. I have never said they were bad. Just that it is easier to win when you avoid true road games as much as possible. The MWC performed better than most on the road in the ones they did play and that has helped their ratings immensely.
02-19-2024 12:24 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2024 12:15 PM)Titans3775 Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 11:48 AM)freshtop Wrote:  2 road games per is pretty lean.

SDSU 4-2
Utah St 5-1
Boise 3-3
New Mexico 5-1
Colorado St 5-0
Nevada 5-1

That's pretty darn good.

Most of them played nobodies. SDSU sure. CoSt sure. The others? Might as well have been playing high school teams.

Boise scheduled well OOC- #26 OOC SOS right now. 7 Q1/2 games (and home vs North Texas- they're #78 and could easily get into top 75 to make it 8).
02-19-2024 12:28 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
I remember being convinced that in the 2010-2014 time frame that New Mexico was going to win the national championship.

--------

Mountain West Conference Bids by Year:
2000 (2): UNLV, Utah
2001 (1): BYU
2002 (3): San Diego St, Utah, Wyoming
2003 (3): BYU, Colorado St, Utah
2004 (3): Air Force, BYU, Utah
2005 (2): New Mexico, Utah
2006 (2): Air Force, San Diego St
2007 (2): BYU, UNLV
2008 (2): BYU, UNLV
2009 (2): BYU, Utah
2010 (4): BYU, New Mexico, San Diego St, UNLV
2011 (3): BYU, San Diego St, UNLV
2012 (4): Colorado St, New Mexico, San Diego St, UNLV
2013 (5): Boise St, Colorado St, New Mexico, San Diego St, UNLV
2014 (2): New Mexico, San Diego St
2015 (3): Boise St, San Diego St, Wyoming
2016 (1): Fresno St
2017 (1): Nevada
2018 (2): Nevada, San Diego St
2019 (2): Nevada, Utah St
2021 (2): San Diego St, Utah St
2022 (4): Boise St, Colorado St, San Diego St, Wyoming
2023 (4): Boise St, Nevada, San Diego St, Utah St

Mountain West Conference Bids by School:
12 - San Diego St
8 - BYU
7 - UNLV
6 - Utah
5 - New Mexico
4 - Boise St, Colorado St, Nevada
3 - Utah St, Wyoming
2 - Air Force
1 - Fresno St
0 - San Jose St, TCU

* Year represents the calendar year the NCAA tournament was played.

Tenure in Conference:
1999 to Present - Air Force, Colorado St, New Mexico, San Diego St, UNLV, Wyoming
1999 to 2011 - BYU, Utah
2005 to 2012 - TCU
2011 to Present - Boise St
2012 to Present - Fresno St, Nevada
2013 to Present - San Jose St, Utah St
02-19-2024 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.