Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Goodbye Candle???
Bookmark and Share
Babes boy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Goodbye Candle???
Will Coach leave for Michigan State?
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2023 10:19 AM by Babes boy.)
11-18-2023 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Good by Candle???
Is this just completely random? News leak? What?

Honestly, I'd hope better for him. That place is a ****-show. Lawsuits in the B10 are a **** show. Honestly I think he can find a high profile staff position at a high place like Ala and hit back into HC that route if that's his desire.
11-18-2023 10:11 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If he got the kind of money that Tucker was offered on his contract - and for the length of time he would get it (if not for his "handy" phone relationship), he would be foolish not to take it. He would be set up for life and make more money there than he would at UT - even if he stayed in Toledo through normal retirement age.
11-18-2023 10:32 AM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

11-18-2023 10:45 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(11-18-2023 10:05 AM)Babes boy Wrote:  Will Coach leave for Michigan State?

Interesting question. I haven't heard JC's name mentioned relative to any coaching opening. Virtually all the openings in the south are tied to other "up and comers" from the south. The south likes to hire from their good ole boys and I get it. The big exception was Kelly at LSU. I think MSU has their eye's on Leipold.

I'd be very curious to know our "top secret" succession plan!
11-18-2023 10:52 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

The other three all took the step Coach Candle has not. P5 HC. tough company.
11-18-2023 11:33 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2023 12:14 PM by indianasniff.)
11-18-2023 12:12 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Is5EaXeNc

Kyle Rowland talking on Locked on Spartans

I personally think Candle need to be OC is why he is still at Toledo
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2023 12:22 PM by indianasniff.)
11-18-2023 12:19 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

So Candle is in his 2nd round of virtual interviews with MSU...hmm, okay. Well UT needs to start having a plan in place in case he up and leaves at any given moment. I say Vince Kehres 100% IF we want to keep the continuity of the program stability we've had with JC, I'm sure he'll be able to keep at least a few assistants on staff.

But I really hope this doesn't turn into a Matt Campbell 2.0 abandonment of the program at crunch time. I'd hate to see the CMU game with so much national relevance potential on the line turn into the WMU game from Campbell's final game.
11-18-2023 12:20 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-18-2023 12:20 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  So Candle is in his 2nd round of virtual interviews with MSU...hmm, okay. Well UT needs to start having a plan in place in case he up and leaves at any given moment. I say Vince Kehres 100% IF we want to keep the continuity of the program stability we've had with JC, I'm sure he'll be able to keep at least a few assistants on staff.

But I really hope this doesn't turn into a Matt Campbell 2.0 abandonment of the program at crunch time. I'd hate to see the CMU game with so much national relevance potential on the line turn into the WMU game from Campbell's final game.

Really not worried about it. They will probably take someone with P5 experience. Rather not
see people not mess with what Toledo has going. Hazelton the DC was making $1.1 million.
11-18-2023 01:51 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Maybe you all can fire him before he goes to MSU?
11-18-2023 02:14 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Candle has been making a million a year at Toledo and with the success this season he will have raises and extensions for years to come. That's plenty of money to set up your family and future. At that level of income and up the ratio between money and happiness flattens out. 1 mill or 4 mill you are comfortable and can pay for all the things you and your family need. It's really more about the challenge, coaching at the highest level. Having the most resources to support you. Access to the best talent.

The top UT head coaches are all in great positions in regards to competitive success, admin support, program culture, peace of mind. They win, can recruit well for their level and don't have undue pressure to do more. The top programs at the highest level of D1 are exciting and wildly supported, but that obscures the reality that for the majority there's constant pressure to win more, massive budgets to maintain and a real challenge to maintain a healthy balance between the game, academics and life. MSU is a great example. Look at Clemson-a top 5 national football program for a decade and one or two years of just being good, not great, and half the fan base is calling out the coach. Campbell was smart in taking a P5 job with low expectations and loyal fans. Most P5's aren't like that.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2023 02:26 PM by pono.)
11-18-2023 02:25 PM
SamoanRocket Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rockets/Dawgs
(11-18-2023 10:05 AM)Babes boy Wrote:  Will Coach leave for Michigan State?
Have you guys noticed that hs/colleges have done away with water boys, now you have to be a blond pony tail..sad...doing away with more males.
11-18-2023 03:56 PM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

I know how some of you feel about the mt union connection. But I’d gladly accept coach Keres as the next head coach.
I feel he’s done a great job since he was brought in. He has head coach experience and had a very good record at mt union.
But on the other hand we really don’t know what is going to happen with Candle.
11-18-2023 05:25 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
No Kehres promotion. Do a national search. This will be an attractive job. I don’t know if we can afford a P5 assistant from a major program but we would draw lots of interest.
11-18-2023 06:15 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I disagree, Kehres should be consider a candidate, unless he wants to move on with Candle.
11-18-2023 06:33 PM
Advertisement

PrettyGoodRocket Offline
Special Teams

Obvious Kehres promotion if Candle goes, he's been great since he's been here, and is a great recruiter, preps his defense well, and does really well with in game adjustments. Often times (not always) in our 2nd halves we really hone in and win on that side of the ball. We will regret it if we let him go with Candle to a new job or let him move on without promoting him first. Candle obviously believes the same as he sacrificed 50 thousand dollars from his own pocket to go into Vinces in an effort to keep him last year.

I would, however, support an external search for an offensive coordinator if Candle goes.
11-18-2023 06:34 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Candle leaving has been a risk for quite a few years. I imagine there is an updated short list. No one will be caught off guard unless he leaves before the Bowl game. Maybe not even then. Same as he came in. Kehres would probaly make same of more as DC at Mich St and have a quicker step up. I wouldn't get hopes up.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2023 06:38 PM by eastisbest.)
11-18-2023 06:36 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2023 06:33 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  I disagree, Kehres should be consider a candidate, unless he wants to move on with Candle.

A candidate? Sure. He can apply. But they have to do a national search and take all applicants seriously. If they make the same mistake as last time, they deserve whatever lawsuit comes their way.

If you commit to getting your next HC always from your present staff, you better darn well learn to diversify your staff. No university should be primary care-giver of the good ol boys' network.
11-18-2023 06:42 PM
rockytop Offline
1st String

Seems to me hiring Candle was a great choice. I hope he stays, but have no problem if Kehres is next in line.
11-18-2023 09:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.