The fix is in
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
The fix is in
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...4486&ei=16

...Again.

DC? California? Hunter couldn't get convicted there if he were on tape shooting somebody in the back of the head. And Joe ...
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2023 10:19 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
08-18-2023 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

RE: The fix is in
Becomes more and more evident the DOJ in in the bag.
08-18-2023 10:20 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Hunter has [had] an opportunity to gum up the works going forward with a venue challenge. You need to be charged in the district where the crime occurred.

Think of why Trump MAL is being prosecuted in S. Fla instead of DC.

From my reading, the dismissal is without prejudice, the DOJ can refile anytime.

The DE site was an iffy one to begin with at the outset -- they probably simply kept it in place with a mind to a plea arrangement and convenience. Also, Weiss had permission to pursue, but probably needed to hand it to a different prosecutor (that is the DC US Atty or the SD Cali US Atty) if that change were to happen. Weiss was only able to charge in DE prior to last Fri.

Now with the Special Prosecutor designation, Weiss can refile in a proper venue, avoid a venue fight, and still be able to maintain his control in the case. Again -- he is a Trump appointee.

Not saying you are wrong -- just saying that the pie isnt baked yet on this. And there are some underlying reasons that could be in play that dont fit your supposition. Lets let the pie bake.
08-18-2023 11:11 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(08-18-2023 11:11 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Hunter has [had] an opportunity to gum up the works going forward with a venue challenge. You need to be charged in the district where the crime occurred.

From my reading, the dismissal is without prejudice, the DOJ can refile anytime.

The DE site was an iffy one to begin with at the outset -- they probably simply kept it in place with a mind to a plea arrangement and convenience. Also, Weiss had permission to pursue, but probably needed to hand it to a different prosecutor (that is the DC US Atty or the SD Cali US Atty) if that change were to happen. Weiss was only able to charge in DE prior to last Fri.

Now with the Special Prosecutor designation, Weiss can refile in a proper venue, avoid a venue fight, and still be able to maintain his control in the case. Again -- he is a Trump appointee.

Not saying you are wrong -- just saying that the pie isnt baked yet on this. And there are some underlying reasons that could be in play that dont fit your supposition. Lets let the pie bake.

I have been watching this bake for 7 years now, and this just seems like more of the same.

But we have no choice but to watch. That is one of the things that bug me - the brazenness of the favoritism.

Not sure how much who appointed who matters.
08-18-2023 11:59 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(08-18-2023 11:11 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  the DOJ can refile anytime.

But will they? IMO, no.
08-18-2023 12:01 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2023 12:01 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

But will they? IMO, no.

I dont know. Neither do you. Glad to know of your certainty.

Not knocking you for not knowing the background -- it is a little intricate. Not many lay people are versed in federal jurisdiction venue issues, let alone the detailed interactions.

How about right now -- 'I didnt know that background. Lets see what happens.' Or not.

If they dont, I will gladly join your chorus on this. What will you do if they do actually do refile? Maybe a 'mea culpa, I didnt quite know the background, and I was wrong'?
08-18-2023 12:35 PM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2023 11:59 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-18-2023 11:11 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Hunter has [had] an opportunity to gum up the works going forward with a venue challenge. You need to be charged in the district where the crime occurred.

I have been watching this bake for 7 years now, and this just seems like more of the same.

But we have no choice but to watch. That is one of the things that bug me - the brazenness of the favoritism.

Not sure how much who appointed who matters.

How is refiling in the proper venue 'brazen[].... favoritism'?

The appointments matter because the 'knee jerk level' reaction is 'well the US Attorney is beholden to Biden who appointed him or her.' So that is an attempt to short circuit that line, if contemplated.
08-18-2023 12:39 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(08-18-2023 12:35 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

But will they? IMO, no.

Not knocking you for not knowing the background -- it is a little intricate. Not many lay people are versed in federal jurisdiction venue issues, let alone the detailed interactions.

How about right now -- 'I didnt know that background. Lets see what happens.' Or not.

If they dont, I will gladly join your chorus on this. What will you do if they do actually do refile? Maybe a 'mea culpa, I didnt quite know the background, and I was wrong'?

Tanq, let me get this straight. Your expectations are that posters have a working understanding of the background of a topic before they fire off accusations of impropriety?

Ummm… do you even Quad, bro?
08-18-2023 12:44 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-18-2023 12:35 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Not knocking you for not knowing the background -- it is a little intricate. Not many lay people are versed in federal jurisdiction venue issues, let alone the detailed interactions.

My favorite course in law school was actually called Federal Jurisdiction, a seemingly dry topic that the professor managed to make not only interesting but actually fun -- or in his own words, he somehow made the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's hear.

But after a few decades working in patent law, where Federal jurisdiction is immutable and venue gets redefined every few years, I'm afraid I don't remember much from that course except how much I enjoyed it.

Oh, and one other thing: the professor had a habit of saying "against" in a case name instead of "v" or "versus"; e.g. he would talk about "Marbury against Madison" or "Brown against Board". I thought that was a neat little idiosyncrasy.
08-18-2023 12:50 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

But will they? IMO, no.

How about "I am surprised"?

OK, Tanq
Steele Dossier
Used in FISA courts
to get Trump workers
The three year Mueller investigation into a stupid conspiracy theory.
and dozens of other actions, some by the DOJ. Long list, and I am hurting for time.
Cuminating with possibly politically motivated indictments and politically timed court dates.

yeah, nothing there.

But the history is the DOJ cooperating with the MSM and DNC. I see nothing different.

If a dog bites you on Tuesday, and again on Thursday, and again on Monday, why should you trust the dog on Tuesday?

DOJ = dog

If you wife cheats on you on Tuedsay, Thursday, and Friday, why should you trust her on Sunday?

DOJ = wife.

Now they dismiss some of Hunters charges with the purpose to move them to the bluest jurisdictions in America. What could possibly be the objective? Fairness?

Gotta go. As you say, we will see.
08-18-2023 01:00 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2023 01:00 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Now they dismiss some of Hunters charges with the purpose to move them to the bluest jurisdictions in America. What could possibly be the objective? Fairness?

The objective? To guard against a very easy, very early dismissal based on improper venue. Duh. By the way, that dismissal wont be with prejudice (you lost the whole tamale), it will be with leave to refile correctly.

But that was already answered above, wasnt it? Seems kind of basic to actually file in the correct venue. I guess that has zero to do with it....

Bummer that the correct venue is a blue venue. But somehow you also overlooked that Del (the original venue) really isnt a red citadel of power either, to focus on the other two.

Yeah, real huge difference between a Del. venue, DC venue, or S. Cal. venue political wise.

Actually there is -- way more chance of a conservative area being hit as a venue location in S. Cali due to the potential of it hitting the San Diego / Orange County division than that of anywhere in Del. But hey, that ruins your ability to promote the 'much better blue venue' kick you have going.

Maybe we should waive or ignore all the venue rules to file in the Southern District of Alabama for ***** and grins to satisfy your political conspiracy stuff?
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2023 01:19 PM by tanqtonic.)
08-18-2023 01:10 PM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2023 12:44 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  

But will they? IMO, no.

Tanq, let me get this straight. Your expectations are that posters have a working understanding of the background of a topic before they fire off accusations of impropriety?

Ummm… do you even Quad, bro?

According to some here, apparently I am a pod creature that has taken over Tanq's body.
08-18-2023 01:20 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(08-18-2023 01:10 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(08-18-2023 01:00 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Now they dismiss some of Hunters charges with the purpose to move them to the bluest jurisdictions in America. What could possibly be the objective? Fairness?

The objective? To guard against a very easy, very early dismissal based on improper venue. Duh. By the way, that dismissal wont be with prejudice (you lost the whole tamale), it will be with leave to refile correctly.

But that was already answered above, wasnt it? Seems kind of basic to actually file in the correct venue. I guess that has zero to do with it....

Bummer that the correct venue is a blue venue. But somehow you also overlooked that Del (the original venue) really isnt a red citadel of power either, to focus on the other two.

Yeah, real huge difference between a Del. venue, DC venue, or S. Cal. venue political wise.

Actually there is -- way more chance of a conservative area being hit as a venue location in S. Cali due to the potential of it hitting the San Diego / Orange County division than that of anywhere in Del. But hey, that ruins your ability to promote the 'much better blue venue' kick you have going.

Maybe we should waive or ignore all the venue rules to file in the Southern District of Alabama for ***** and grins to satisfy your political conspiracy stuff?

I understand the venue rules, and think maybe they are using them, just as the GA DA is using the RICO stuff to reach a result that the DNC is thrilled with.

(Aside: I know someone who was sued under RICO. The alleged crime: not assigning a parking space. The corrupt organization:
GSA.)

As you say, we shall see. But I am suspicious of the guy that just tried to give Hunter blanket immunity. You are not? You think that all of a sudden they are unbiased seekers of truth? Or did you miss the last 7 years?

We shall see.
08-18-2023 06:09 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(08-18-2023 06:09 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

I understand the venue rules, and think maybe they are using them, just as the GA DA is using the RICO stuff to reach a result that the DNC is thrilled with.

(Aside: I know someone who was sued under RICO. The alleged crime: not assigning a parking space. The corrupt organization:
GSA.)

As you say, we shall see. But I am suspicious of the guy that just tried to give Hunter blanket immunity. You are not? You think that all of a sudden they are unbiased seekers of truth? Or did you miss the last 7 years?

We shall see.

What if, and hear me out here, this has nothing to do with what the DNC wants? And it’s instead about what will make the best case for the prosecutors?
08-18-2023 07:30 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(08-18-2023 07:30 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

GSA.)

We shall see.

What if, and hear me out here, this has nothing to do with what the DNC wants? And it’s instead about what will make the best case for the prosecutors?

and what if, hear me out here, the opposite is true?

As Tanq has said, we shall see.

What do we have to go on that tells us the DOJ is determined to pursue the Hunter case? The immunity offer? The foot dragging on the laptop. The 51 intelligence officers that Biden quoted in his election campaign?the misuse of known tainted evidence?
08-18-2023 08:04 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(08-18-2023 08:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

GSA.)

We shall see.

What do we have to go on that tells us the DOJ is determined to pursue the Hunter case? The immunity offer? The foot dragging on the laptop. The 51 intelligence officers that Biden quoted in his election campaign?the misuse of known tainted evidence?

What’s more likely to be true? The DOJ cares what the DNC thinks as you allude to? Or they don’t?
08-19-2023 05:50 AM
Advertisement

Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
The charitable interpretation for me is that he is a novice politician who let the moment get away, and he said some thoughtless things without really meaning to.

The less charitable interpretation is that he was happy to put out the idea that Juneteenth was useless, and that he knew it would get coverage and he would gain some traction from a certain portion of the electorate.
08-19-2023 07:16 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2023 07:16 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  The charitable interpretation for me is that he is a novice politician who let the moment get away, and he said some thoughtless things without really meaning to.

The less charitable interpretation is that he was happy to put out the idea that Juneteenth was useless, and that he knew it would get coverage and he would gain some traction from a certain portion of the electorate.

Wrong thread, 93. Just pointing it out as a member of a cabal would do for one of their fellow cabalists.
08-19-2023 08:39 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-19-2023 08:39 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(08-19-2023 07:16 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  The charitable interpretation for me is that he is a novice politician who let the moment get away, and he said some thoughtless things without really meaning to.

Wrong thread, 93. Just pointing it out as a member of a cabal would do for one of their fellow cabalists.

Perhaps you're forgetting the Iron Law of Thread Convergence! 03-wink
08-19-2023 08:58 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(08-19-2023 05:50 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-18-2023 08:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-18-2023 01:10 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  The objective? To guard against a very easy, very early dismissal based on improper venue. Duh. By the way, that dismissal wont be with prejudice (you lost the whole tamale), it will be with leave to refile correctly.

GSA.)

We shall see.

What’s more likely to be true? The DOJ cares what the DNC thinks as you allude to? Or they don’t?

Based on their actions and nonactions the last 7-8 years, they care. They consistently work for the Democrats. Consistently.
08-19-2023 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.