Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don’t Mess With Texas
MainePony Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SMU
Don’t Mess With Texas
SMU may not be your ideal candidate, but it’s a program on the rise in terms of facilities, commitment, NIL/recruiting, academics, location, Bush Presidential library and support, past tradition, athletic budget, easy travel connections. SMU reeks ACC. No, not a huge tv viewership draw today, but people recognize Pony Express, Dallas etc…it’s a brand waiting to be taken to the next level. Putting the elephant in the room aside (foregoing 5 yrs of tv revenue), why is this not a slam dunk for the ACC?
08-11-2023 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Don’t Mess With Texas
Those with one foot out-the-door (and NC State) can effectively keep the vast majority from adding anybody.

That's the issue.
08-11-2023 07:05 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-11-2023 07:05 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Those with one foot out-the-door (and NC State) can effectively keep the vast majority from adding anybody.

That's the issue.

This might be a good time to point out that if one "no" vote school were to lose their voting rights because they've publicly declared that they are leaving the ACC the first chance they get, the vote would go from 4 NO, 11 Yes to 3 NO, 11 Yes... which would pass.
08-11-2023 07:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-11-2023 07:12 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 07:05 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Those with one foot out-the-door (and NC State) can effectively keep the vast majority from adding anybody.

That's the issue.

This might be a good time to point out that if one "no" vote school were to lose their voting rights because they've publicly declared that they are leaving the ACC the first chance they get, the vote would go from 4 NO, 11 Yes to 3 NO, 11 Yes... which would pass.

Well that went from warm to nuclear. 03-lmfao
08-11-2023 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MainePony Offline
Water Engineer

(08-11-2023 07:23 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 07:12 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

That's the issue.

Well that went from warm to nuclear. 03-lmfao
Based on what we’ve observed over the past year with the PAC 12 bromance / implosion…B12 propaganda machine/ influence ( it’s real, trust me)… PAC 12/4 corners defections… perhaps NUCLEAR is what is needed. I view it more as having to take the short term pain to preserve a healthy long term future.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 07:40 PM by MainePony.)
08-11-2023 07:38 PM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Why not vote SMU in now and deal with Cali-Stan later? It’s possible that going to California is a bridge too far.
08-11-2023 07:42 PM
Advertisement

MainePony Offline
Water Engineer

(08-11-2023 07:42 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Why not vote SMU in now and deal with StanCal later? It’s possible that going to California is a bridge too far.
That’s really my question. ESPN home page just dropped a story that there are still 4 against CalStan…no mention of SMU. As a stand alone add it seems like a home run, why is SMU paired with StanCal? Why all or nothing?
08-11-2023 07:49 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-11-2023 07:49 PM)MainePony Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 07:42 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Why not vote SMU in now and deal with StanCal later? It’s possible that going to California is a bridge too far.
That’s really my question. ESPN home page just dropped a story that there are still 4 against CalStan…no mention of SMU. As a stand alone add it seems like a home run, why is SMU paired with StanCal? Why all or nothing?

The ACC is a dysfunctional mess. I saw it in 2003 when we got invited and then uninvited.
08-11-2023 08:04 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Carolina and State are obviously a block. There is something they want from either ESPN, Notre Dame, the potential new members, or even FSU and Clemson.
08-11-2023 08:08 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(08-11-2023 08:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

The ACC is a dysfunctional mess. I saw it in 2003 when we got invited and then uninvited.

I mean, the Big East football conference is the standard bearer there. 04-wine

"You're allowed. Not you. You for football. You for everything but football. You, well, we'll call you later."
08-11-2023 08:10 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(08-11-2023 08:08 PM)esayem Wrote:  Carolina and State are obviously a block. There is something they want from either ESPN, Notre Dame, the potential new members, or even FSU and Clemson.

https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/16...5978219520

THERE’S MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM
08-11-2023 08:20 PM
Advertisement

SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU

I saw it in 2003 when we got invited and then uninvited.

You never got invited in 2003
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 08:57 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
08-11-2023 08:52 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(08-11-2023 08:20 PM)green Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 08:08 PM)esayem Wrote:  Carolina and State are obviously a block. There is something they want from either ESPN, Notre Dame, the potential new members, or even FSU and Clemson.

[Image: Million_Dollar_Man_bio.jpg]

EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE
08-11-2023 08:56 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(08-11-2023 08:56 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 08:20 PM)green Wrote:  

[Image: Million_Dollar_Man_bio.jpg]

EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE

It astonishes me that folks in the media don't understand who controls UNC's and NC State's vote in this matter. It is the people in charge of paying NC State's and UNC's bills. The North Carolina General Assembly - the Speaker and the President Pro Tem control these two votes. On most ACC issues the two institutions cast their own votes, but this is a state wide economic development issue.
08-11-2023 09:04 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-11-2023 08:10 PM)esayem Wrote:  

I mean, the Big East football conference is the standard bearer there. 04-wine

"You're allowed. Not you. You for football. You for everything but football. You, well, we'll call you later."
You guys learned well

We had three basketball schools keep Penn State out sigh...
08-11-2023 09:33 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(08-11-2023 08:52 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

So we were half pregnant?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/s...d86e4babc/
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 09:37 PM by TexanMark.)
08-11-2023 09:35 PM
Advertisement

SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(08-11-2023 09:35 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 08:52 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

So we were half pregnant?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/s...d86e4babc/

You do realize that a headline is not the actual story? I didn't realize this was an issue 20 years ago.

Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner (D), who had spent considerable time lobbying for Virginia Tech's inclusion, was not available to comment last night. Warner had called his counterparts in Maryland and North Carolina and had been in contact with University of Virginia President John Casteen, trying to use that school's influence in the ACC to help Virginia Tech.

"I'm appreciative of the governor for his efforts," Weaver said. "I think he has been very astute at working through this."

In a statement released last night, Casteen said that he tried to have Virginia Tech included in the expansion, but that Virginia Tech lacked the seven votes necessary to receive an invitation. Casteen said he then voted against the other expansion candidates and asked for additional information on them. Those efforts apparently also failed.

"I plan to keep advocating for Virginia Tech at each opportunity because I believe what I have said about its fit within the ACC," Casteen said. "And I expect to last long enough to make the case.
"

Virginia Tech football coach Frank Beamer could not be reached last night, but defensive coordinator Bud Foster clearly was not happy with the potential for the Hokies to be left behind.

"If it happens, I think it would be a travesty," Foster said. "It's a shame that the NCAA doesn't get involved in something like this when you're talking about one of the premier football teams in college football and the carpet could be pulled out [from] underneath them. I think we are a better TV draw and a better fan draw than those other schools. It would be a shame."

According to the ACC manual, the next step in expansion is for Clemson's James F. Barker, chairman of the conference Council of Presidents, to appoint an on-site visitation committee consisting of university faculty athletic representatives and athletic directors and conference staff. After making campus visits, the committees will submit reports for the presidents to vote on.

Now, let's break down this story. It took 7 of 9 schools to vote to expand in 2003. Casteen claims that VT lacked a 7th despite UVa's support. For that story to be true that must mean someone other than Duke or UNC did not support VT. Yet in 20 years that third no vote has never been identified as anyone other than UVa.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 09:50 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
08-11-2023 09:43 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

Texas, you got your visit, so did BC, so did Miami. You didn't even get turned down at the end of the big conference call vote, but you never got nominated.
08-11-2023 09:55 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-11-2023 06:48 PM)MainePony Wrote:  SMU may not be your ideal candidate, but it’s a program on the rise in terms of facilities, commitment, NIL/recruiting, academics, location, Bush Presidential library and support, past tradition, athletic budget, easy travel connections. SMU reeks ACC. No, not a huge tv viewership draw today, but people recognize Pony Express, Dallas etc…it’s a brand waiting to be taken to the next level. Putting the elephant in the room aside (foregoing 5 yrs of tv revenue), why is this not a slam dunk for the ACC?

I don't know why you'd put that offer to the side. It's the only reason you're likely to get in the ACC. If FSU leaves and the Cal schools get the no vote, we're still going to need a replacement and foregoing 5 years of revenue gives you an edge over all other G5 schools.
08-12-2023 12:43 AM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
(08-12-2023 12:43 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 06:48 PM)MainePony Wrote:  SMU may not be your ideal candidate, but it’s a program on the rise in terms of facilities, commitment, NIL/recruiting, academics, location, Bush Presidential library and support, past tradition, athletic budget, easy travel connections. SMU reeks ACC. No, not a huge tv viewership draw today, but people recognize Pony Express, Dallas etc…it’s a brand waiting to be taken to the next level. Putting the elephant in the room aside (foregoing 5 yrs of tv revenue), why is this not a slam dunk for the ACC?

I don't know why you'd put that offer to the side. It's the only reason you're likely to get in the ACC. If FSU leaves and the Cal schools get the no vote, we're still going to need a replacement and foregoing 5 years of revenue gives you an edge over all other G5 schools.

My only guess is that certain members inside the conference are playing politics, otherwise this would have already been a done deal.
08-12-2023 06:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.