Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OS: UCF requests $176 million from Orange County Tourism Development
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
OS: UCF requests $176 million from Orange County Tourism Development

Orange County tourism tax money is collected from hotel stays. So if you spend the night in Orange County for a UCF game or for the theme parks, visitors pay the tax.

They have funded Venues like Amway Center (Orlando Magic) and World Camping Stadium (Citrus Bowl).

I’m pretty sure we requested this type of funding in the early 2000s when we were looking to build the OCS and got denied. So I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

UCF funded the OCS privately last time and I’d expect that same for the upgrades. But out of due diligence if the money is there you might as well ask.

Orange County TBT has other requests they are considering too:
- New Baseball Stadium for MLB expansion team $975 M
- Citrus Bowl upgrades $800 M
- Amway Center upgrades $256 M
- UCF Stadium upgrades $176 M

UPDATE:

Quote:UCF worked with the Greater Orlando Sports Commission and VisitOrlando on a tourism study before submitting its request. It found that the athletics department generates $91 million in economic impact annually, attracting approximately 212,858 visitors outside of a 50-mile radius of Orlando and 199,942 room nights.

Quote:UCF is scheduled to present to the task force on June 16. It will make recommendations to the Orange County commissioners, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Demings, who will ultimately decide on how the more than $300 million in tourism reserves will be used.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2023 10:59 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
05-17-2023 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: OS: UCF requests $176 million from Orange County Tourism Development
(05-17-2023 02:12 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

Orange County tourism tax money is collected from hotel stays. So if you spend the night in Orange County for a UCF game or for the theme parks, visitors pay the tax.

They have funded Venues like Amway Center (Orlando Magic) and World Camping Stadium (Citrus Bowl).

I’m pretty sure we requested this funded in the early 2000s when we were look to build the OCS and got denied. So I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

UCF funded the OCS privately last time and I’d expect that same for the upgrades. But out of due diligence if the money is there you might as well ask.

Orange Count TBT has other requests they are considering too:

It's 1.4 miles from the Citrus Bowl to UCF. Seems like a colossal waste of money to have 2 large stadiums in such close proximity.
05-17-2023 02:16 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(05-17-2023 02:16 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(05-17-2023 02:12 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Orange County tourism tax money is collected from hotel stays. So if you spend the night in Orange County for a UCF game or for the theme parks, visitors pay the tax.

I’m pretty sure we requested this funded in the early 2000s when we were look to build the OCS and got denied. So I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

It's 1.4 miles from the Citrus Bowl to UCF. Seems like a colossal waste of money to have 2 large stadiums in such close proximity.

18 miles from UCF Stadium (Main Campus) to Citrus Bowl but yea not that far away. (That's about the same distance as University of Miami to Hard Rock Stadium)

I’m not sure why we don’t destroy the Citrus Bowl. It’s largely vacant most of the year. $800 M for a stadium that hosts 2 Bowl games a year.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023 03:09 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
05-17-2023 02:24 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(05-17-2023 02:24 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(05-17-2023 02:12 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Orange County tourism tax money is collected from hotel stays. So if you spend the night in Orange County for a UCF game or for the theme parks, visitors pay the tax.

18 miles from UCF Stadium (Main Campus) to Citrus Bowl but yea not that far away.

I’m not sure why we don’t destroy the Citrus Bowl. It’s largely vacant most of the year. $800 M for a stadium that hosts 2 Bowl games a year.

They seem to think rebuilding the upper deck and putting a roof over it like Hard Rock is gonna make us suddenly compete for a super bowl or CFP national championship. They are dreaming. Put the resources together to try to lure the Tampa Bay rays who are in their own stadium dispute with Tampa.
05-17-2023 02:39 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

Quote:UCF worked with the Greater Orlando Sports Commission and VisitOrlando on a tourism study before submitting its request. It found that the athletics department generates $91 million in economic impact annually, attracting approximately 212,858 visitors outside of a 50-mile radius of Orlando and 199,942 room nights.

Quote:UCF is scheduled to present to the task force on June 16. It will make recommendations to the Orange County commissioners, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Demings, who will ultimately decide on how the more than $300 million in tourism reserves will be used.
05-30-2023 10:58 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn

18 miles from UCF Stadium (Main Campus) to Citrus Bowl but yea not that far away. (That's about the same distance as University of Miami to Hard Rock Stadium)

Don't forget about Monster Jam...
05-30-2023 12:35 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
If Disney packs up their theme park, their hotels and all that and the lost of tax dollars by the city? UCF would wind up being stuck for the bill as the city of Orlando would be destroyed thanks for the war between Disney and the Governor. I am not going into the politics of that issue, but UCF is caught in a rock and a hard place right now.
05-30-2023 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-30-2023 12:42 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If Disney packs up their theme park, their hotels and all that and the lost of tax dollars by the city? UCF would wind up being stuck for the bill as the city of Orlando would be destroyed thanks for the war between Disney and the Governor. I am not going into the politics of that issue, but UCF is caught in a rock and a hard place right now.

I'm also not going to get into politics but would just like to point out that theme parks don't fit in suitcases.
05-30-2023 12:45 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-30-2023 12:45 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(05-30-2023 12:42 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If Disney packs up their theme park, their hotels and all that and the lost of tax dollars by the city? UCF would wind up being stuck for the bill as the city of Orlando would be destroyed thanks for the war between Disney and the Governor. I am not going into the politics of that issue, but UCF is caught in a rock and a hard place right now.

I'm also not going to get into politics but would just like to point out that theme parks don't fit in suitcases.

You are forgetting Disney Magic 03-wink
05-30-2023 12:46 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Do you honestly believe they will walk away from billions of dollars of infrastructure? Not a chance. They may choose to invest new money elsewhere, but they aren't walking away from any of the Orlando parks.
05-30-2023 12:52 PM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
(05-30-2023 12:35 PM)whittx Wrote:  

Don't forget about Monster Jam...

Full disclosure...I've actually been there for a Monster Jam. The Citrus Bowl is somewhat dumpy and not exactly in an inspiring part of town. UCF's stadium is small but nice...the problem is it's just way too far from the theme parks and touristy parts of Orlando to become a major national venue anytime soon. So they're in a bit of a pickle.
05-30-2023 12:57 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Hey UCF...try fundraising first and get the County to throw in half
05-30-2023 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2023 01:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Hey UCF...try fundraising first and get the County to throw in half

We have raised $26.85 Million so far.

The $176 M is a little less than 2/3rds of the proposed $267.8 M overall project.
05-30-2023 01:15 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(05-30-2023 12:52 PM)mlb Wrote:  

Do you honestly believe they will walk away from billions of dollars of infrastructure? Not a chance. They may choose to invest new money elsewhere, but they aren't walking away from any of the Orlando parks.

The city and state already lost a lot of money and jobs that Disney canceled the plans. You don't ever know what Disney would do.
05-30-2023 01:24 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(05-30-2023 01:24 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

The city and state already lost a lot of money and jobs that Disney canceled the plans. You don't ever know what Disney would do.

That money hasn't been spent elsewhere... yet. Ultimately I'm sure Disney wants to spend the money in Florida, and probably will once all of this settles down and both sides come to an understanding.

It is a bunch of grandstanding from both sides.

Edit: And again, they aren't closing their parks in Florida. Would just cause the shareholders to throw all the governing board out and replace them with a new board.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2023 01:30 PM by mlb.)
05-30-2023 01:29 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-17-2023 02:39 PM)otown Wrote:  

18 miles from UCF Stadium (Main Campus) to Citrus Bowl but yea not that far away.

They seem to think rebuilding the upper deck and putting a roof over it like Hard Rock is gonna make us suddenly compete for a super bowl or CFP national championship. They are dreaming. Put the resources together to try to lure the Tampa Bay rays who are in their own stadium dispute with Tampa.

I can tell you from decades of disappointment in Memphis, you have to build a brand new stadium to bring an NFL team to town. Even then it may not be enough. I've seen the Liberty Bowl upgraded for the NFL multiple times, and every time the NFL teams moved into new stadiums. Every - single - time.
05-30-2023 01:36 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-30-2023 01:15 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(05-30-2023 01:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Hey UCF...try fundraising first and get the County to throw in half

We have raised $26.85 Million so far.

The $176 M is a little less than 2/3rds of the proposed $267.8 M overall project.

Raise $130M first. UCF fans need to act P5 now.

Private schools usually get very little state aid.
05-30-2023 02:30 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-30-2023 01:36 PM)Claw Wrote:  
(05-17-2023 02:39 PM)otown Wrote:  

I can tell you from decades of disappointment in Memphis, you have to build a brand new stadium to bring an NFL team to town. Even then it may not be enough. I've seen the Liberty Bowl upgraded for the NFL multiple times, and every time the NFL teams moved into new stadiums. Every - single - time.

San Antonio sez hold my beer.

Both cities get played
05-30-2023 02:31 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-30-2023 01:24 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Wrong...those jobs weren't coming after the old CEO left. It was a political talking piint.
05-30-2023 02:32 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I would say "never say never" with respect to Disney. There may come a day when the script is flipped and they no longer wear the "owner" suit and are of the "owned" variety. If/when that day comes, the parks become even more derivative (and I'd argue they've been managed as such for some years now, despite how "automatic" they've been at bringing revenue to Disney).
05-31-2023 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.