ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring Practice
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Spring Practice
Thought for sure it starts March 15, but with absolutely no buzz I guess I was wrong.
03-14-2023 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: Spring Practice
(03-14-2023 03:56 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Thought for sure it starts March 15, but with absolutely no buzz I guess I was wrong.

We have an episode with Coach Rahne coming out next Monday. And yes, I believe practice starts tomorrow as a bunch of recruits have visits scheduled for tomorrow.
03-14-2023 03:59 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

First practice was today.
03-14-2023 04:03 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2023 03:59 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  
(03-14-2023 03:56 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Thought for sure it starts March 15, but with absolutely no buzz I guess I was wrong.

We have an episode with Coach Rahne coming out next Monday. And yes, I believe practice starts tomorrow as a bunch of recruits have visits scheduled for tomorrow.

Cool. Guys we hope to add over the summer or guys for 24?
03-14-2023 04:04 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-14-2023 04:04 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-14-2023 03:59 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

Cool. Guys we hope to add over the summer or guys for 24?

Yes, Ricky confirmed they are looking at adding more guys this spring/summer during the interview.
03-14-2023 04:05 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

https://odusports.com/news/2023/3/14/min...tball.aspx

Shields, Wilson, and Wolff in competition for the starting job. Still looking at other options.
03-15-2023 07:38 AM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2023 07:38 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  https://odusports.com/news/2023/3/14/min...tball.aspx

Shields, Wilson, and Wolff in competition for the starting job. Still looking at other options.

Glad to see its still wide open and they are still looking for more QBs. Does anyone have any insight on Shields? Is he a legit contender?
03-15-2023 09:41 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Im not sure why he wouldnt be. Not that I give a crap about rankings but all 3 were 3 stars (wolff highest). Ive heard Shields is impressive in practice.

I get the sneaking suspicion that Wilson will be the best but there are people in the know that completely disagree with that.

Having said that, none of us know what shields or wilson would do in live game action
03-15-2023 09:52 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2023 09:52 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Im not sure why he wouldnt be. Not that I give a crap about rankings but all 3 were 3 stars (wolff highest). Ive heard Shields is impressive in practice.

I get the sneaking suspicion that Wilson will be the best but there are people in the know that completely disagree with that.

Having said that, none of us know what shields or wilson would do in live game action

Glad to hear Shields looked good in practice. The thing that concerns me with Wilson is he was a backup at the FCS level. I think he was brought in to help bring the other QBs up to speed on the new OC's scheme and help set the tone for work ethic and expectations. Almost like another QB coach who can be with the guys when the actual coaches can't. But that's just a guess.
03-15-2023 10:01 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-15-2023 09:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-15-2023 07:38 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  https://odusports.com/news/2023/3/14/min...tball.aspx

Glad to see its still wide open and they are still looking for more QBs. Does anyone have any insight on Shields? Is he a legit contender?

He's being given a legitimate opportunity but he doesn't have a shot to beat both out.
03-15-2023 11:09 AM
ODU True Blue Online
All American

(03-15-2023 10:01 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-15-2023 09:52 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Im not sure why he wouldnt be. Not that I give a crap about rankings but all 3 were 3 stars (wolff highest). Ive heard Shields is impressive in practice.

Glad to hear Shields looked good in practice. The thing that concerns me with Wilson is he was a backup at the FCS level. I think he was brought in to help bring the other QBs up to speed on the new OC's scheme and help set the tone for work ethic and expectations. Almost like another QB coach who can be with the guys when the actual coaches can't. But that's just a guess.

Let say this agin…there was this here fella named Terry Bradshadow or Braishaw or sumpin like that. He don won 4 Soup Bowls back in de 70s. When he was in de college arena he was at a skool in way we now kno as FCS. His firstest 2 years he just could not get past the guy ahead of’n him. He narey could’n get on de field. Then dat guy heada him quit football to go make duck calls, you might aheard of him he is de Duck Commander. Anywho, dat dere Terry fella got a chance to start at dat FCS level for 2 years. And even made it all the wayin to be NFL and de Hall of Fame. Land sakes an FCS QB made it to the NFL HOF. Dat is impossible right?

Wilson was stuck behind an All-American QB. Folllowed his coach. No one on here knows his abilities. I’m not saying he is the next Terry Bradshaw. But give the kid a freaking chance before you label him a throw away.
03-15-2023 01:23 PM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(03-15-2023 01:23 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  

Let say this agin…there was this here fella named Terry Bradshadow or Braishaw or sumpin like that. He don won 4 Soup Bowls back in de 70s. When he was in de college arena he was at a skool in way we now kno as FCS. His firstest 2 years he just could not get past the guy ahead of’n him. He narey could’n get on de field. Then dat guy heada him quit football to go make duck calls, you might aheard of him he is de Duck Commander. Anywho, dat dere Terry fella got a chance to start at dat FCS level for 2 years. And even made it all the wayin to be NFL and de Hall of Fame. Land sakes an FCS QB made it to the NFL HOF. Dat is impossible right?

Wilson was stuck behind an All-American QB. Folllowed his coach. No one on here knows his abilities. I’m not saying he is the next Terry Bradshaw. But give the kid a freaking chance before you label him a throw away.

See David Washington as backup to Taylor Heinicke at the FCS level. I'd take him again.
03-15-2023 07:33 PM
ODU True Blue Online
All American

(03-15-2023 07:33 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

See David Washington as backup to Taylor Heinicke at the FCS level. I'd take him again.

Absolutely.
03-15-2023 08:30 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

For that matter, hardly anyone gave Heinicke a chance coming out of HS.
03-15-2023 09:40 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

A much more realistic example. But now a days a guy like DW would probably transfer. But hey, I hope ya’ll are correct and he’s like DW or TH, or at least better than Hayden. I guess we will see. I’ll be rooting for whoever emerges.
03-15-2023 09:55 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-15-2023 09:55 PM)monarx Wrote:  

A much more realistic example. But now a days a guy like DW would probably transfer. But hey, I hope ya’ll are correct and he’s like DW or TH, or at least better than Hayden. I guess we will see. I’ll be rooting for whoever emerges.

It’s super early but the reports are positive with how he looks.
03-15-2023 11:11 PM
Advertisement

ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University

FCS or not, Wilson played hs at the 6A level competing with FBS talent and was district offensive POY twice.

Second, he was the backup and heir apparent to the top FCS QB two years running. Tim DeMorat, the starter, put up video game numbers his junior and senior seasons and is a legit NFL prospect.

Not having seen film, it's impossible to judge but I wouldn't downgrade Wilson just because he wanted to live in NYC or liked his odds at getting more playing time at Fordham.
03-16-2023 01:15 AM
bit_9 Offline

Also just looked it up. Wilson had the exact same 40 time as Josh Allen out of high school. He's considered a pretty darn good mobile QB in the NFL.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023 07:35 AM by bit_9.)
03-16-2023 07:35 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

This QB room scares me heading into the new season. We need a big time transfer. If the coaches really want to push HW, get a quality capable proven transfer QB who has produced at the FBS level.
03-16-2023 05:39 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Any updates on how things are going in practice?
03-22-2023 12:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.