Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU vs South Alabama In-Game
Bookmark and Share
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Just checked the line. We are 1.5 pt underdogs to the 8 seed. Those guys are really peaking right now. We’re gonna need all Dukes fans in attendance to be loud. Mobile is only an hour away from Pensacola.
03-05-2023 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: JMU vs South Alabama In-Game
Interesting line from Vegas. JMU is a better team. I’m sure there will be a few more USA fans today now that they are in the semifinals, but they don’t have enough fans to impact the game in an open, airy arena like the bay center. They don’t even draw many fans to their home court.
It will be a neutral court affair.

The Dukes played poorly on offense in their 1pt road loss to USA this year. Sure, some of that is due to USA’s leading defense and Samuel’s shot blocking (8th in the nation). But the Dukes were awful from downtown going 3-19. They won’t be that bad from three this time and should win.
The defense played well at USA causing 20 turnovers. You have to imagine the intensity will be ramped up even more. No blood, no foul. The refs are going to let the more physical team win on defense.

Byington can’t allow the game to be played in the 60’s. Ramp up the pace, wear out an already tired team, advance to the finals.
Their big guy looks like he is 280+ lbs. no way he can continuously run up and down the court in a fast paced game. I’m expecting him to be grabbing his shorts in exhaustion and trailing other players up and down the court.

Ace in the hole is Hack-a-shaq . It is almost impossible for a basketball player to be a 27% FT shooter, but that is what Samuel is. What a huge liability for them. The Dukes should maul him if he touches the ball in the paint. Leave no doubt with hard tournament fouls that don’t allow him to get a shot off. There are 20 fouls to give between Amadi, Wooden, Offurum, and Sule. Speaking of Sule, he didn’t play in the first matchup and gives the Dukes additional physicality for the rematch.
03-05-2023 08:04 AM
Halz87 Offline
1st String

I've made jokes about the Freshman being our x-factor, but By obviously doesnt trust them enough to give them meaningful minutes. Your analysis is exactly why i hoped they would have been ready (and honestly it sure looks like Brown is ready. He must not show well in practice). A tournament with multiple games back to back and turnovers, pace, pressure leaning in our favor....a few extra bodies ready for this tournament would add to that hand.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
03-05-2023 09:00 AM
JMUDukes1750 Offline
Special Teams

South Alabama has played two games in the Sun Belt tournament, but only 6 players have played more than 10 minutes in that span. They have a tight rotation, so Dukes need to be aggressive pushing the pace, and attacking the basket trying to get their guys in foul trouble.
03-05-2023 10:03 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
(03-05-2023 10:03 AM)JMUDukes1750 Wrote:  South Alabama has played two games in the Sun Belt tournament, but only 6 players have played more than 10 minutes in that span. They have a tight rotation, so Dukes need to be aggressive pushing the pace, and attacking the basket trying to get their guys in foul trouble.

maybe im reading this wrong, but im not sure this makes sense
03-05-2023 10:06 AM
14SemesterDuke Offline
1st String

(03-05-2023 10:06 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(03-05-2023 10:03 AM)JMUDukes1750 Wrote:  South Alabama has played two games in the Sun Belt tournament, but only 6 players have played more than 10 minutes in that span. They have a tight rotation, so Dukes need to be aggressive pushing the pace, and attacking the basket trying to get their guys in foul trouble.

Meaning they have 6 players that really play. Barely anything coming off the bench. Run them out of the gym.
03-05-2023 10:22 AM
Advertisement

purplesanman Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
(03-05-2023 08:04 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Interesting line from Vegas. JMU is a better team. I’m sure there will be a few more USA fans today now that they are in the semifinals, but they don’t have enough fans to impact the game in an open, airy arena like the bay center. They don’t even draw many fans to their home court.
It will be a neutral court affair.

The Dukes played poorly on offense in their 1pt road loss to USA this year. Sure, some of that is due to USA’s leading defense and Samuel’s shot blocking (8th in the nation). But the Dukes were awful from downtown going 3-19. They won’t be that bad from three this time and should win.
The defense played well at USA causing 20 turnovers. You have to imagine the intensity will be ramped up even more. No blood, no foul. The refs are going to let the more physical team win on defense.

Byington can’t allow the game to be played in the 60’s. Ramp up the pace, wear out an already tired team, advance to the finals.
Their big guy looks like he is 280+ lbs. no way he can continuously run up and down the court in a fast paced game. I’m expecting him to be grabbing his shorts in exhaustion and trailing other players up and down the court.

Ace in the hole is Hack-a-shaq . It is almost impossible for a basketball player to be a 27% FT shooter, but that is what Samuel is. What a huge liability for them. The Dukes should maul him if he touches the ball in the paint. Leave no doubt with hard tournament fouls that don’t allow him to get a shot off. There are 20 fouls to give between Amadi, Wooden, Offurum, and Sule. Speaking of Sule, he didn’t play in the first matchup and gives the Dukes additional physicality for the rematch.

Don't forget about Roberson. He won't play much, but he could get 5 fouls worth of minutes. Even the walk-ons could foul, then sub out during the free throws if they are in the bonus.
03-05-2023 10:45 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
(03-05-2023 10:22 AM)14SemesterDuke Wrote:  

Meaning they have 6 players that really play. Barely anything coming off the bench. Run them out of the gym.
Sorry brain was broken for a second
03-05-2023 10:54 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

I read into what 1750 is saying that their rotation is so tight, the talent level falls off significantly at player #7. If we substitute liberally with our superior-talented reserves and keep the pace as fast as possible, we are going to wear the starters out which will give us a big advantage, and if USA subs to give the starters a rest, we win again in the disparity in talent level. Win-win!

My biggest concern is that the zebras are going to let them play underneath, letting even egregious fouls go, we are going to be cold from long-range and forced to drive the lane, where Samuel is going to kill us, at worst altering our layups and short jumpers so that our short game sucks as bad as our long game, he doesn't get called for his mugging, and we lose as a result. The best answer to that is to run at a pace that gives us an opportunity to score before Frankenstein can get his fat ass down the floor.

Moral of the story.... RUN, RUN, RUN!!
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 11:12 AM by Purple.)
03-05-2023 11:01 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't think I'd change much on defense to counter their big guy (other than late game fouling if we are behind). He averages 10 pts/9 rebounds and has been remarkable consistent throughout his career. Against us he had 8 pts/9 rebounds. He's gonna get his rebounds regardless. He did have 5 blocks which definitely hurt, but that was offset with 6 turnovers. Just don't shoot 3-19 from long range and we'll be in good shape.
03-05-2023 11:39 AM
hburg Offline

Don't they have a 3-point threat?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
03-05-2023 12:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2023 10:22 AM)14SemesterDuke Wrote:  

....and it has become Sun Belt custom to play six players at a time. Mo' betta' (as they say in Hawaii).
03-05-2023 12:22 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2023 12:08 PM)hburg Wrote:  Don't they have a 3-point threat?

Owen White, 40.6%.
03-05-2023 12:54 PM
Halz87 Offline
1st String

(03-05-2023 12:54 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Owen White, 40.6%.
But what is he for the year? Is that it? I cant see him having 2 games back to back. He was on fire last game.

Id love to see us jump out early on them and put some pressure on them. Sout Miss slow start helped them build mojo they never relinquished. Please put a little doubt in their mind early on. Hate to see them get going again.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
03-05-2023 01:24 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2023 11:39 AM)olddawg Wrote:  I don't think I'd change much on defense to counter their big guy (other than late game fouling if we are behind). He averages 10 pts/9 rebounds and has been remarkable consistent throughout his career. Against us he had 8 pts/9 rebounds. He's gonna get his rebounds regardless. He did have 5 blocks which definitely hurt, but that was offset with 6 turnovers. Just don't shoot 3-19 from long range and we'll be in good shape.

I agree. I don’t think their starting big guy is going to beat JMU, that is if he has a typical game.

Dukes must pass and shoot well, and play strong D as is the team’s habit.
03-05-2023 01:28 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Hopefully Mezie will have a strong game.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 01:58 PM by Longhorn.)
03-05-2023 01:57 PM
Advertisement

JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

Mezzie has had a very tough stretch. Followed 2 double-figure scoring games up with a total of 5 points in the last 3 games, shooting a combined 2 for 10, and about 4 rebounds a game. I agree, he really needs to be aggressive inside. But if they're not calling much down-low, he hasn't been hitting much from the field. Minutes may be going to Sule and Amadi, and that has him out of rhythm.
03-05-2023 03:26 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2023 12:54 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Owen White, 40.6%.

In conference games white shoots 45% from downtown, Judah Brown shoots 40% from downtown. Their best player is the point guard and he is the one who doesn’t really shoot 3’s, but sets others up well when he isn’t scoring on the drive.

If JMU would have just been 4-19 from 3 last time against USA they would have won. No way they go 3-19 again. That had to be the worst 3PT shooting performance of the year
The Ladies advanced today, now it is time for the men to do their part.
03-05-2023 03:56 PM
JMUPride Offline
1st String

Another slow start, Morse missing a shot, then missing two free throws
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2023 06:05 PM by JMUPride.)
03-05-2023 06:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Just a little cold to start ..
03-05-2023 06:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.