CollegeAD: Austin Peay to jump to FBS in 2025
12-02-2022 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
RE: CollegeAD: Austin Peay to jump to FBS in 2025
(12-02-2022 03:01 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  https://twitter.com/collegead/status/159...XDo_vDkBFA

Do you subscribe to CollegeAD? Can you tell us more?
12-02-2022 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(12-02-2022 03:01 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  https://twitter.com/collegead/status/159...XDo_vDkBFA

What conference?
12-02-2022 03:12 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
(12-02-2022 03:12 PM)jones682 Wrote:  

What conference?

WAC
12-02-2022 03:13 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

From near the end of this article:

While Austin Peay's ASUN membership remains strong, there could be a scenario in which the Govs are looking to join an FBS conference in the coming years. Jacksonville State and Kennesaw State will join Conference USA, and Harrison said he'd like for Peay to have a conference affiliation that makes sense regionally. But he didn't rule out the possibility of playing as an independent in the FBS.

"We want to be in an FBS conference," Harrison said. "Don't get me wrong, financially, we're not going to try to join a conference in the northeast. We're very happy in the ASUN. We're not overjoyed that we lost two members as soon as we walked in the door. But we'll see where this goes."

Austin Peay's Gerald Harrison wants Govs in FBS football by 2025. Here's the plan

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/s...696103007/
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 03:14 PM by unalions.)
12-02-2022 03:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
Well... that answers my question about whether Peay has any FBS desires...
12-02-2022 03:23 PM
Advertisement

JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

Perhaps they are in line for no. 11 or 12.
12-02-2022 04:10 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
APSU, UCA, UNA, and EKU (possibly one more)are all about to join the WAC soon after (maybe 1 or 2 seasons) the WAC/ASUN football merger happens.

This is part of what SFA coach was talking about.
12-02-2022 04:27 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 04:27 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  APSU, UCA, UNA, and EKU (possibly one more)are all about to join the WAC soon after (maybe 1 or 2 seasons) the WAC/ASUN football merger happens.

This is part of what SFA coach was talking about.

A WAC coach last week and an ASUN AD this week. Very interesting.

Also of interest is that both of them took jabs at the schools leaving their respective conferences for CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 05:05 PM by unalions.)
12-02-2022 04:46 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WACSUN will not become an FBS conference.

AP is making "plans". That way if things/dominoes go crazy they would have a head start. Getting "shovel ready".

You can't just DESIRE to go FBS or "WANT TO". A LOT more involved.
12-02-2022 05:50 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

APSU is pi$sed off that schools who helped recruit them to the ASUN bolted for CUSA. SFA is pis$ed at SH for going against the plan to stick with the WAC and move to FBS as a conference. Coach Carthel said as much.

Carthel and the APSU AD certainly didn’t seem to be courting votes to CUSA in their comments. Their disdain was apparent.

This new merged conference may not attain its goal of FBS, but I think they’ll likely be fueled by this bit of anger to do what many think might be impossible.

It’s certainly wild to watch it all unfold!
12-02-2022 06:04 PM
Advertisement

jones682 Offline
1st String

AP would have to increases their budget if they want to move up. Their current budget is 14M. You cannot just move up by the way. A conference would have to invite you. AP is just putting themselves in the proposition for the 11th or 12th spot for C-USA. 2025 is questionable because C-USA will not expand anytime soon and the media deal last for 5 years. EKU you better be on the look out before you lose out on that 11th/12th spot.
12-02-2022 06:16 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 06:16 PM)jones682 Wrote:  AP would have to increases their budget if they want to move up. Their current budget is 14M. You cannot just move up by the way. A conference would have to invite you. AP is just putting themselves in the proposition for the 11th or 12th spot for C-USA. 2025 is questionable because C-USA will not expand anytime soon and the media deal last for 5 years. EKU you better be on the look out before you lose out on that 11th/12th spot.

You’re all about current budgets. But that won’t be the case if these schools are building toward FBS three years from now. You have no idea what their budgets will be by then.

Sure didn’t sound like the APSU AD was asking for any votes to CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 06:35 PM by unalions.)
12-02-2022 06:34 PM
jones682 Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 06:34 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 06:16 PM)jones682 Wrote:  AP would have to increases their budget if they want to move up. Their current budget is 14M. You cannot just move up by the way. A conference would have to invite you. AP is just putting themselves in the proposition for the 11th or 12th spot for C-USA. 2025 is questionable because C-USA will not expand anytime soon and the media deal last for 5 years. EKU you better be on the look out before you lose out on that 11th/12th spot.

You’re all about current budgets. But that won’t be the case if these schools are building toward FBS three years from now. You have no idea what their budgets will be by then.

It is very hard to see a school with a decline enrollment to increase their budget by 7M.

Again, you have to be invited by a conference to make the move up. If you go as and independent it will cost even more money. Again this furthers my point about AP's budget. AP's budget is almost the same as UNA's budget.
12-02-2022 07:15 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 07:15 PM)jones682 Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 06:34 PM)unalions Wrote:  

It is very hard to see a school with a decline enrollment to increase their budget by 7M.

Again, you have to be invited by a conference to make the move up. If you go as and independent it will cost even more money. Again this furthers my point about AP's budget. AP's budget is almost the same as UNA's budget.

You'll have to ask APSU's AD. He seems to think he has a plan to make it happen.
12-02-2022 07:43 PM
JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

It's about positioning themselves for that next opening. Or two or four.
Everyone seems to forget that the pac will expand by likely two maybe more. Also Cusa will likely go to 12 and it won't be 5 years from now. It'll be a lot sooner. I'm guessing at least 2 by 2025. If I were EKU I'd be very visible about where I'm at and how ready I am. It looks like there may be some competition for their spot.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 09:01 PM by JSUCleburneslim.)
12-02-2022 09:00 PM
Advertisement

jones682 Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 09:00 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  It's about positioning themselves for that next opening. Or two or four.
Everyone seems to forget that the pac will expand by likely two maybe more. Also Cusa will likely go to 12 and it won't be 5 years from now. It'll be a lot sooner. I'm guessing at least 2 by 2025. If I were EKU I'd be very visible about where I'm at and how ready I am. It looks like there may be some competition for their spot.

The PAC 12 movement might affect the MW more then C-USA. I don't think that NMSU and UPTEP will join the MW.
12-02-2022 09:19 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 09:00 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  It's about positioning themselves for that next opening. Or two or four.

Absolutely it's about positioning. Who would blame EKU or SFA or anyone for taking an invite to CUSA? I wouldn't.

But, here's the thing, these schools also aren't sitting idle biding their time for some potential invite. They are being aggressive in the wild west of college realignment. It's a bold plan but the WAC has a young, connected commissioner. He worked at the NCAA head office and I don't think this is smoke being blown.

Sure. This could all be shut down and laughed at in the future but right now, I'm intrigued by these bold moves in the new college athletics landscape.

That said, I'm not sure UNA is anywhere near being ready for any of this! Yet, I think we're about to make a solid hire and announce a new stadium project. So, who knows?

The pandemic worked a number on college sports. The portal, NIL, realignment. It's complete madness.

I kinda love it. I kinda hate it.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 09:26 PM by unalions.)
12-02-2022 09:20 PM
jones682 Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 09:20 PM)unalions Wrote:  

Absolutely it's about positioning. Who would blame EKU or SFA or anyone for taking an invite to CUSA? I wouldn't.

But, here's the thing, these schools also aren't sitting idle biding their time for some potential invite. They are being aggressive in the wild west of college realignment. It's a bold plan but the WAC has a young, connected commissioner. He worked at the NCAA head office and I don't think this is smoke being blown.

Sure. This could all be shut down and laughed at in the future but right now, I'm intrigued by these bold moves in the new college athletics landscape.

That said, I'm not sure UNA is anywhere near being ready for any of this! Yet, I think we're about to make a solid hire and announce a new stadium project. So, who knows?

The pandemic worked a number on college sports. The portal, NIL, realignment. It's complete madness.

I kinda love it.

This is also why I said "EKU you better be on the look out before you lose out on that 11th/12th spot." Because to your point "these schools also aren't sitting idle biding their time for some potential invite." You have to be at a curtain point to get the invite
12-02-2022 09:23 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

(12-02-2022 09:23 PM)jones682 Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 09:20 PM)unalions Wrote:  

I kinda love it.

This is also why I said "EKU you better be on the look out before you lose out on that 11th/12th spot." Because to your point "these schools also aren't sitting idle biding their time for some potential invite." You have to be at a curtain point to get the invite

It's starting to feel like cliques in high school a bit as I hear it unfold. The WAC/ASUN teams are mad at the schools that accepted the CUSA invites and aren't interested now in following them to CUSA. Yet, I'm sure they'd all accept an invite. So, it's messy.

EKU (and Matt Brown) think WKU blocked them from CUSA and KSU got the invite instead.

APSU feels like UNA, UCA, EKU, and JSU lured them to the ASUN and then Jax State and KSU left before they even got in the door.

SFA's coach basically said that SHSU jumped the gun and went against their plan to go FBS as a conference.

Are these bridges on fire, burning, burned down? Who knows?
12-02-2022 09:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.