Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 Football Roster & FBS transition
Bookmark and Share
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
2023 Football Roster & FBS transition
no more games, so never too early to "look ahead"

here's the roster for next year as currently stands. I'm sure there are guys on the roster who will step up next year, especially some frosh that redshirted this year, but i'll do this strictly based upon guys who saw the field pretty regularly this year and are, portal notwithstanding, expected back

You assume most of the '23 freshmen are not ready and will redshirt, while some of the current redshirts will be ready and step into active roles.
So the holes on the gameday playing roster I see that needs filling, whether thru the portal or guys stepping up, are:

QB (competent backup), RB, WR (biggest need!), TE, CB and DL.

we are absolutely stacked on the OL, LB and S....with good 2 deep on DL, but always need a lot of guys there to keep them fresh and wrecking havoc.

Returning roster, not including incoming freshmen or guys on current roster who either redshirted or didn't play meaningful minutes:

QB - McCLoud (Jr), Barnett (So), Atkins (So) - need solid backup

RB - Black (So), Palmer (Sr), Van Horse (Sr), Knight (So) - need depth

WR - Brown (Sr), Sproles (Sr), ???? next up are Harris/Lewis/James/Mines (all So's). def need help here

TE - Horton (Jr), backups all unproven. We ran lots of 2TE sets this season. Could use help unless offense changes up and sticks with 1TE.

OL - Wyatt (Jr), Kidwell (Sr), Morris (Jr), Potts (Jr), Stephens (Jr), Toner (So), Adair (Jr) - the OL was so good this year, it's crazy to think top 7 is back and 6/7 for two more years!

DL - Kamara (So - future legend), Okonji (Sr), Kromah (Sr), Green (Sr), Carpenter (Jr), Johns (Jr), Funk (Jr) - top 5 guys all outstanding and played tons this year. Need depth and guys for future.

LB - Walker (Jr), Jones (Jr), Naotala (Jr), Hendrick (So), Fisher (So), Ayamel (Jr), Martin (Jr) - W and J stepped up in an area of need this season. Depth looks good, but this is such a critical position, always good to bring in more talented guys

S/Rover - Reid (Sr), Remonenq (Sr), Saratt (Sr), Meehan (Sr), Chukwenke (Sr) - 5 seniors. all have played a ton of meaningful football. we should be set here

CB - Logan (So), Coles (Sr), Austin (So), Booth (So), Meredith (So)- trial by fire this year. They held up well. last two guys came from P5 programs and were highly touted, so hopefully they improve in Year 2. Very young position group, so couldn't hurt to grab an experienced portal guy here

Overall,

On offense, I think we need some WR's and TE's and probably another RB to get some deep depth. But if McCloud is as good as we think he will be, with our OL, we should be potent again

On D, we will be nasty again. Would love to see us grab another "Edwards" on the DL and an experienced corner, but the D overall looks pretty stout again.

edit for thread title -DN
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023 09:57 AM by Deez Nuts.)
11-28-2022 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
RE: 2023 Roster
Nice write up. Was Barnett's RS burned? Is Meehan coming back? I believe he was one of the players honored with HCCC and family for Senior Day.
11-28-2022 01:42 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
You’re assuming McCloud will be a steady (and healthy) starter, and that Atkins stays with the team. That’s too big a risk IMO. JMU needs a second QB transfer with FBS experience that can compete for the starter’s role.
11-28-2022 01:45 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 01:45 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  You’re assuming McCloud will be a steady (and healthy) starter, and that Atkins stays with the team. That’s too big a risk IMO. JMU needs a second QB transfer with FBS experience that can compete for the starter’s role.

what am i assuming?

McCloud isn't coming here to be a backup. And Cig isn't signing him to be a backup.

and i said in my comments we need a solid backup. Multiple times in fact. 03-idea
11-28-2022 01:47 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 01:42 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  Nice write up. Was Barnett's RS burned? Is Meehan coming back? I believe he was one of the players honored with HCCC and family for Senior Day.

Barrett’s redshirt was not burned, he’s got 4 years to develop. With the COVID exception, Atkins would have 3 to play, either at JMU or another school should he choose to transfer. I don’t think Meehan is coming back.
11-28-2022 01:47 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 01:42 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  Nice write up. Was Barnett's RS burned? Is Meehan coming back? I believe he was one of the players honored with HCCC and family for Senior Day.

Yea, not sure. I think there may be others too have technically might have an extra year, but don't come back.

Meehan could reconisder. But who knows. he played well down the stretch, but thankfully for next year, we seem to have 3-4 guys who can play the safety positions and rover. Will need to add a guy or two though if he doesn't return.
11-28-2022 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 01:47 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 01:45 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  You’re assuming McCloud will be a steady (and healthy) starter, and that Atkins stays with the team. That’s too big a risk IMO. JMU needs a second QB transfer with FBS experience that can compete for the starter’s role.

what am i assuming?

McCloud isn't coming here to be a backup. And Cig isn't signing him to be a backup.

and i said in my comments we need a solid backup. Multiple times in fact. 03-idea

Relax. 07-coffee3

Of course McCloud thinks he’ll be a starter, and I’m sure Cignetti thinks so too which is why he offered McCloud a ‘ship.

Still, without another seasoned FBS player at QB to provide competition JMU will be in exactly the same place the team was this past season when Centeio went down. Playing Barnett or Atkins (saying both develop) is a real risk.

My point stands. Signing a second FBS transfer QB would be in JMU’s best interest.

Note: And to be clear, a second FBS transfer QB who is every bit as capable of competing for the starters role, who wants to start, and doesn’t sign-on to come to JMU to be a backup.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 01:55 PM by Longhorn.)
11-28-2022 01:53 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 01:53 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

what am i assuming?

Relax. 07-coffee3

Of course McCloud thinks he’ll be a starter, and I’m sure Cignetti thinks so too which is why he offered McCloud a ‘ship.

Still, without another seasoned FBS player at QB to provide competition JMU will be in exactly the same place the team was this past season when Centeio went down. Playing Barnett or Atkins (saying both develop) is a real risk.

My point stands. Signing a second FBS transfer QB would be in JMU’s best interest.

Note: And to be clear, a second FBS transfer QB who is every bit as capable of competing for the starters role, who wants to start, and doesn’t sign-on to come to JMU to be a backup.

If we bring in two FBS transfers Barnett is as good as gone and I wouldn't blame him. You have to give him a shot to earn the starting role next year and bringing in two guys is not doing that. If we think he can be good down the road we have to give him a shot or else we will lose him.
11-28-2022 02:00 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 02:00 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

what am i assuming?

Relax. 07-coffee3

If we bring in two FBS transfers Barnett is as good as gone and I wouldn't blame him. You have to give him a shot to earn the starting role next year and bringing in two guys is not doing that. If we think he can be good down the road we have to give him a shot or else we will lose him.

yep.
11-28-2022 02:00 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 02:00 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

what am i assuming?

Relax. 07-coffee3

Maybe, maybe not. Barnett has 4 years. If he thinks he can start now, but doesn’t think he can beat out the incoming competition so he decides to prematurely transfer out to a program (a program that wants a Freshman without college game experience to start), good luck to him. Otherwise he’ll stay and compete, and if his role in 2023 turns out that he’s asked to be 2nd or 3rd string, he has time to develop and learn.

I trust Cignetti and staff to do the right thing…which is making roster decisions that place JMU FB in the best position to win. Bringing in McCloud is such a move. Leaving McCloud as the #1 with essentially two freshmen as his backups would be irresponsible, as Cignetti alluded to when he served up a bit of smack talk about CC not developing qualified backup QB depth in their multiple years as a FBS program.
11-28-2022 02:19 PM
fishingduke12 Offline
All American

I think the fact that barnett was named QB2 the last two games is enough motivation for him to stay
11-28-2022 02:32 PM
Advertisement

CarRamrod Offline
1st String

(11-28-2022 02:32 PM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  I think the fact that barnett was named QB2 the last two games is enough motivation for him to stay

I also think it was a clue as to what the postseason evaluation conversation is going to be with Cignetti et al. in that QB room as to who they may encourage to enter the transfer portal if they realistically want playing time versus those that they want to continue to develop in hopes they get playing time in the future.
11-28-2022 02:55 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I probably wouldn't be so worried about Barnett as long as the transfer doesn't have more than two years left. Developing behind another guy and then getting two years as the starter isn't out of the ordinary at all for a QB. At least that's how I look at it, maybe Barnett wouldn't see it that way. But he came here while there was a lot of hype over a future QB just one year ahead of him so that makes me think he's willing to wait/compete.

Getting that second transfer and having him stay would be a really tall task though imo. Almost no QB with one or two years left is hitting the portal because he's ok with being a backup. Bring in another to compete with McCloud and the loser will probably go the AJ Davis route anyway.
11-28-2022 03:00 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

This is FBS big boy football. Never worry about who may leave especially as the roster is getting upgraded to FBS from FCS. If there isn’t more talent at every position in 2 years, then shame on Cig.

Feelings will get hurt.
Players will get recruited over.
Some will choose to leave because they perceive a reduced chance to play.

I’m with Longhorn. Cig needs to recruit another transfer QB and he should have plenty of options. The losers of Spring Practice may very well transfer out, but that just opens the door for another QB to join the program.

Wasn’t there a NCAA transfer QB that got beat out this year in Fall Camp and he transferred to a Sun Belt school right before the season?
11-28-2022 03:16 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

what am i assuming?

Relax. 07-coffee3

Well LH don't hold your breath on a 2nd FBS level QB transfer......NOT how this typically works. No FBS guy in gonna transfer to compete with holdovers as well as another FBS transfer, that would be pretty stupid on their part. Atkins will likely never see the field again for JMU. CIG thinks very highly of Barnett who was a true freshman this season. No rush with him but will complete with McCloud for QB1 in the Spring.

And JMU will sign at least one QB during recruiting as should be the case every single year.
11-28-2022 03:41 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Honestly I would be shocked if Atkins stayed at JMU. Cignetti was very vocal about Atkins issues in practice. I don't see him being anything better than a third string moving forward.
Barnett seems happy here and won't be phased by a transfer QB coming in. Cignetti says glowing things about him and it's only a matter of time before he's on the field.
As for McCloud as the starter... he'll have to earn it. Of course he's coming in to start. But for every Centeio, there's a bunch of Billy Cosh's and "Mr. Football's".
To be fair, McCloud looks like the real deal, but I would say it's far from certain that he'll be the starter next season.
11-28-2022 04:51 PM
Advertisement

DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 03:41 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  Well LH don't hold your breath on a 2nd FBS level QB transfer......NOT how this typically works. No FBS guy in gonna transfer to compete with holdovers as well as another FBS transfer, that would be pretty stupid on their part. Atkins will likely never see the field again for JMU. CIG thinks very highly of Barnett who was a true freshman this season. No rush with him but will complete with McCloud for QB1 in the Spring.

And JMU will sign at least one QB during recruiting as should be the case every single year.

Agree it's not how it typically works but McCloud committed to Arizona just a few days after Gunner Cruz announced he was leaving Washington St for Arizona. VT picked up two FBS QB transfers that same month.

If McCloud only had a year left, I think there is a higher likelihood, but I believe there plenty of portal QBs (current and forthcoming) that are willing to compete against a guy on his 3rd school.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 08:03 PM by DoubleDogDare.)
11-28-2022 08:01 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 04:51 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Honestly I would be shocked if Atkins stayed at JMU. Cignetti was very vocal about Atkins issues in practice. I don't see him being anything better than a third string moving forward.
Barnett seems happy here and won't be phased by a transfer QB coming in. Cignetti says glowing things about him and it's only a matter of time before he's on the field.
As for McCloud as the starter... he'll have to earn it. Of course he's coming in to start. But for every Centeio, there's a bunch of Billy Cosh's and "Mr. Football's".
To be fair, McCloud looks like the real deal, but I would say it's far from certain that he'll be the starter next season.

I agree with this.

As a HC tho, I’d be risking an entire season if I didn’t have more depth at QB. Putting all your eggs in one basket with one experienced FBS transfer QB (coming into town after a season ending injury) is a recipe for potential disaster if your #2 is a Freshman with zero college game experience.

As hard as it might be getting a second experienced QB to sign on to play for JMU in 2023 (believing McCloud will be the starter and plays well), the truth remains that starting QBs get hurt, often. A second, seasoned QB is imperative.

Whether that second seasoned QB is a player with limited eligibility like the injured Jack Tuttle or Jeff Simms, or perhaps (if you wanted to go a bit younger), Isaiah Knowles (from the Naval Academy, and originally from FL with 3 years eligibility), JMU must be searching for more QB depth. Signing another High School QB who would most likely to sit behind Barnett is great, but it isn’t depth.
11-28-2022 08:23 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Got a bunch of help coming in at WR and TE. Nice write up by Noah, and in it Coach mentions they may not be done yet. What’s up with Troy Lewis? He came in from ECU with a bunch of hype how he took over spring ball for them and then bolted to us, yet never saw the field. Coach mentions Mines, but not Lewis.

https://www.dnronline.com/sun_belt_extra...73819.html
01-24-2023 06:27 PM
Top Dawg Offline
Special Teams

Looks like Maxwell James, So WR, has left. Wasn’t mentioned in the article so I did some looking as I hadn’t seen his leaving previously reported. But he is no longer included on the roster and his twitter is showing Lackawanna JUCO.
01-24-2023 06:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.