ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matthew ('24) and Jayden ('26) Hodge Recruiting
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Matthew ('24) and Jayden ('26) Hodge Recruiting
Yes, those Hodge boys. JJ was the first to offer.

They just got to the States. Interestingly, living in NJ with tennis great, Kim Clijsters and her family (including her husband who played college ball at Villanova and then professionally in Belgium.) The boys will be playing HS ball at St. Rose High School.

https://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/1243724

Quote:THE HODGE BROTHERS
Their father scored over 2,000 points at the Division I level and while they haven’t played an official high school game in the United States yet, the Hodge brothers won’t be under the radar for long.

Matthew Hodge

St. Rose (NJ) | 6-8 Wing | 2024

A standout at the FIBA U18 Euro Championships with Belgian National team, Hodge has a chance to hit the ground running in the United States. A vocal leader oozing with toughness, the 6-8 do-it-all athlete displayed an extremely scalable skillset in Wilmington. Hodge thrives as a dive man out of the pick and roll, putting pressure on the rim, drawing fouls, generating mismatches, finishing through contact and making decisions out of the short roll. A mismatch machine with a strong physical foundation to build upon, I counted at least 9 blocks across the two games for St. Rose. The competitive, high energy four-man knocked down multiple catch and shoot three's, firing with a ton of confidence. Matthew's avid understanding of the game — how to space the floor, defend without fouling, carve out space in the paint and elevate everyone around him — will translate quickly and it wouldn't be a surprise to see his recruitment rapidly gain steam.

Jayden Hodge

St. Rose (NJ) | 6-4 Guard | 2026

The younger Hodge, Jayden, originally caught my eye at the FIBA U16 Euro Championships and shortly thereafter the move across the pond was announced. While the shift to the American style of play may be a bigger transition than his brothers', it was extremely evident how high Jayden's feel for the game and nuanced his skillset is at this early stage. A clear product of his upbringing in European systems, the 6-4 guard's movement off the ball, instinct for cutting to space directly after making a pass and advanced processing ability as a playmaker leapt out. A silky smooth spot up shooter with positional size and a more mellow demeanor, Hodge has a strong grip on his identity on the court. Jayden's confidence and assertiveness steadily grew throughout the day — showing some big flashes and garnering buzz around the gym by the final whistle. A candidate to see his stock erupt over the course of his first full year in the United States.

These two may not be the best recruits we've ever pursued (although, they seem to be pretty good), but one could argue that given the juice that comes with their last name, these might be the most important recruits this program has pursued in a long time.
10-26-2022 09:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Matthew ('24) and Jayden ('26) Hodge Recruiting
I would love to have the Big O's sons as Monarchs. Just having him back in the building on a regular basis would be awesome. I'll be rooting for these 2 no matter where they end up playing (as long as its not in Richmond, Fairfax or Harrisonburg). But it would be awesome if they played college ball for ODU.
10-26-2022 02:20 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
St. Rose? I can tell you that this program is not historically an elite program in the state. And the schedule they play is not against the top teams in the state (which are included in the top teams in the country).
The good news is that they will not get much attention because of that, but most of the recruiting is done during the summer months anyway. Hopefully they stay under the radar there.
10-26-2022 03:32 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I would love to see the sons of Odell playing college ball in a Monarch uniform. I wondered if this day would ever come, and hopefully it will. At least this is a start.

Odell was one of my all-time favorite players at ODU and I was happy when the day came that he was honored by having his jersey retired to the rafters of the TED. The "Big O" will never be forgotten in ODU basketball lore.
10-27-2022 01:52 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

I ran into Odell and his two sons at the ODU/ VT football game this season. I said to him I hoped to see his sons playing for ODU. His comment was that it’s gonna happen. Can’t wait to find out. Would also love to see Odell back on our bench in some capacity.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2022 08:24 PM by JJMonarch.)
10-27-2022 05:51 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

So I was trying to piece together how Odell's sons ended up in NJ:
It was reported that his sons will be living with Kim Clijsters. She is a former pro tennis player from Belgium where Odell spent much of his playing and coaching career. She is married to Brian Lynch, another former basketball player in Belgium. Lynch is from Belmar, NJ and played at CBA (Christian Brothers Academy) and then Villanova (after our upset of them in the NCAAT in 1995).

It would be interesting to know how they ended up at St. Rose vs. CBA. Playing time? Much closer commute? Less expensive?
CBA has a much higher basketball history profile and have graduated many players to D1 programs including John Crotty (UVA).

Well, now we know (sort of) how they ended up in NJ. Maybe they eventually move to Hampton Roads and end up at Norfolk Collegiate or Cape Henry. Would make sense once Matthew is enrolled at ODU to have them both close to each other. And, who knows, Odell has coaching experience and may end up on the bench.
10-28-2022 07:59 AM
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2022 07:59 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  So I was trying to piece together how Odell's sons ended up in NJ:
It was reported that his sons will be living with Kim Clijsters. She is a former pro tennis player from Belgium where Odell spent much of his playing and coaching career. She is married to Brian Lynch, another former basketball player in Belgium. Lynch is from Belmar, NJ and played at CBA (Christian Brothers Academy) and then Villanova (after our upset of them in the NCAAT in 1995).

It would be interesting to know how they ended up at St. Rose vs. CBA. Playing time? Much closer commute? Less expensive?
CBA has a much higher basketball history profile and have graduated many players to D1 programs including John Crotty (UVA).

Well, now we know (sort of) how they ended up in NJ. Maybe they eventually move to Hampton Roads and end up at Norfolk Collegiate or Cape Henry. Would make sense once Matthew is enrolled at ODU to have them both close to each other. And, who knows, Odell has coaching experience and may end up on the bench.

Do you know who the coach is at St. Rose? That's your answer. The two families are very close and have been for a long time.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2022 08:52 AM by ODUCoach.)
10-28-2022 08:44 AM
The Flagship Offline
All American

(10-28-2022 08:44 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(10-28-2022 07:59 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  So I was trying to piece together how Odell's sons ended up in NJ:

Do you know who the coach is at St. Rose? That's your answer. The two families are very close and have been for a long time.

Haha. I didn't get that far in my research. Well done.04-cheers
10-28-2022 09:42 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Fast paced, high scoring basketball, giving the kids freedom and a style that's fun to play. Uh oh.
10-28-2022 04:00 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

12-31-2022 09:25 AM
The Flagship Offline
All American

Quote:The Hodge brothers and St. Rose have been one of New Jersey's breakout stories of the year in boys basketball and their skills were on full display Saturday at Collins Arena against St. John Vianney.

Freshman Jayden Hodge showed off his scoring prowess with a game-high 22 points to earn game MVP honors and Matt Hodge finished just shy of his first triple-double since coming over from Belgium in a 63-43 win for the Purple Roses.

While Matt Hodge scored only 12 points, two of his six field goals were highlight-reel dunks and the 6-8 junior also contributed 12 rebounds, nine assists, three blocks and two steals.

https://shoresportsnetwork.com/boys-bask...e-players/
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2023 08:57 AM by The Flagship.)
01-09-2023 08:54 AM
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2023 08:54 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  
Quote:The Hodge brothers and St. Rose have been one of New Jersey's breakout stories of the year in boys basketball and their skills were on full display Saturday at Collins Arena against St. John Vianney.

Freshman Jayden Hodge showed off his scoring prowess with a game-high 22 points to earn game MVP honors and Matt Hodge finished just shy of his first triple-double since coming over from Belgium in a 63-43 win for the Purple Roses.

While Matt Hodge scored only 12 points, two of his six field goals were highlight-reel dunks and the 6-8 junior also contributed 12 rebounds, nine assists, three blocks and two steals.

https://shoresportsnetwork.com/boys-bask...e-players/

You can find some videos here:

01-09-2023 09:49 AM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

Speaking of the Hodge’s , this podcast with Odell Hodge may be interesting to many of you. I didn’t know where to post it so I thought maybe this thread would be ok.

HTTPS://Youtu.be/MWF3GvDMVAs
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2023 04:52 PM by JJMonarch.)
01-09-2023 04:51 PM
mac Offline
All American

(01-09-2023 04:51 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  Speaking of the Hodge’s , this podcast with Odell Hodge may be interesting to many of you. I didn’t know where to post it so I thought maybe this thread would be ok.

Holy heck JJ, this is fantastic! So great. I loved it. All except near the end when he says he keeps reminding Capel at Pitt about his boys.

So many great stories by Odell . Thanks again!
01-09-2023 08:35 PM
BigBlueBobby Offline
1st String

I wouldn't get my hopes up too far. Loyalty to your college is one thing, but wanting what's best for your children is a completely different ball game. I'm sure Odell is aware of the decline in this program for the past 10 years with no signs of improving. I would really have to think hard before I would endorse a program like ODU.
01-10-2023 08:50 AM
mac Offline
All American

(01-09-2023 04:51 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  Speaking of the Hodge’s , this podcast with Odell Hodge may be interesting to many of you. I didn’t know where to post it so I thought maybe this thread would be ok.

Couple other bits of info in that Podcast which were very interesting.

Guess we need to thank Oliver Purnell for not taking Odell with him to Dayton. Odell wanted to leave with Ollie and Oliver told him something like, you came to ODU to make a statement, go ahead and make your statement at ODU. Lot of coaches surely would have wanted to take Odell with them and I'm sure Purnell wanted to. Class move by Oliver Purnell.

Also, Odell turned down the chance to go play with Tim Duncan at Wake Forrest after Purnell left, in the time before they hired coach Capel. He was also talking with Wake before deciding to stay at ODU.

Additionally, if they had hired two other coaches ODU had in mind before deciding on Capel, he would have also left. Never knew any of this stuff.

The BIG O can still remember all kinds of stats from the ODU games he played. Impressive. What a stud player, lucky we got him, lucky we kept him.

I sure wish Oliver would have never left.
01-10-2023 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

I don't know if Penn State has offered, but I know they have shown some interest in Matthew. I expect some of the lower end high majors to be in on him so I would certainly be shocked if he came to ODU. We offered awhile ago but they would be silly to not wait out other offers. They are tearing up the NY/NJ scene.
01-10-2023 09:11 AM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(01-10-2023 09:09 AM)mac Wrote:  

Guess we need to thank Oliver Purnell for not taking Odell with him to Dayton. Odell wanted to leave with Ollie and Oliver told him something like, you came to ODU to make a statement, go ahead and make your statement at ODU. Lot of coaches surely would have wanted to take Odell with them and I'm sure Purnell wanted to. Class move by Oliver Purnell.

Also, Odell turned down the chance to go play with Tim Duncan at Wake Forrest after Purnell left, in the time before they hired coach Capel. He was also talking with Wake before deciding to stay at ODU.

Additionally, if they had hired two other coaches ODU had in mind before deciding on Capel, he would have also left. Never knew any of this stuff.

The BIG O can still remember all kinds of stats from the ODU games he played. Impressive. What a stud player, lucky we got him, lucky we kept him.

Thanks Mac. It was fun listening to O talk about his career. He is certainly an all time great at ODU. One thing as a fan we all knew for sure when Odell played is we had an advantage in the post. He was a big dude with a great touch around the rim.
01-10-2023 09:28 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

Great interview. Thanks for finding it and posting it JJ.

Odell is one of my all-time favorite Monarch basketball players. It's hard to imagine getting guys like Odell (all-time leading scorer in VA at the time) and Mario Mullins (2-time AAA High School player of the year in VA) both coming in as Freshmen together in the same year - along with some other good players as well.

Watching that podcast, I got the feeling that if Jeff were to be replaced after this season, and if Mike Jones - currently an assistant at VA Tech and Odell's former teammate at ODU - happened to be the new coach, it would seem like that would enhance the chances of getting Odell's sons to ODU.
01-10-2023 11:03 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-10-2023 09:28 AM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(01-10-2023 09:09 AM)mac Wrote:  

Thanks Mac. It was fun listening to O talk about his career. He is certainly an all time great at ODU. One thing as a fan we all knew for sure when Odell played is we had an advantage in the post. He was a big dude with a great touch around the rim.

When Odell was on the squad, there was a feeling that we could literally beat anybody. If we had that squad with Him, Petey, Mario, Mike Jones etc, and I looked at our schedule now, I would think we would be favored in every single game. Not that we would have gone undefeated, but Id be confident that we should come out on top going into every game. I really miss that feeling. Now a days its more like "whew, we didn't blow it" when we win. I look forward to believing our guys will kick anyone's butt again sometime.
01-10-2023 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.