Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

AAC - MWC Merger? Is it time for this to be seriously considered?
Bookmark and Share
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
AAC - MWC Merger? Is it time for this to be seriously considered?
With geography clearly no longer a consideration for college conferences - Is it time for the best of the AAC and the MWC to seriously consider merging into a 16-20 team conference and try to hang on to a shred of viability?
07-01-2022 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Red Dragon Coog Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
RE: AAC - MWC Merger? Is it time for this to be seriously considered?
MWC wont support this for the same reason AAC didnt support it last time. They want to go to a gutted Pac 12 conference and get away from bottom feeders such as San Jose State and Nevada. Exact same reason why AAC teams left for a gutted Big 12 to get away from bottom feeders like Tulane and Tulsa.
07-01-2022 01:06 PM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(07-01-2022 01:06 PM)Red Dragon Coog Wrote:  MWC wont support this for the same reason AAC didnt support it last time. They want to go to a gutted Pac 12 conference and get away from bottom feeders such as San Jose State and Nevada. Exact same reason why AAC teams left for a gutted Big 12 to get away from bottom feeders like Tulane and Tulsa.

You’re going to get me in trouble here, but I agree with you on this.

04-cheers
07-01-2022 01:08 PM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
Probably a waste of energy until the P2/5 are done doing whatever the hell they’re going to do.
07-01-2022 01:09 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2022 01:09 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  Probably a waste of energy until the P2/5 are done doing whatever the hell they’re going to do.

Maybe but sitting around doing nothing is a sure fire loser. Memphis is further away from a seat at the big boy table than it has ever been. If the administration doesn't reposition the school then it really is over.
07-01-2022 01:17 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2022 01:06 PM)Red Dragon Coog Wrote:  MWC wont support this for the same reason AAC didnt support it last time. They want to go to a gutted Pac 12 conference and get away from bottom feeders such as San Jose State and Nevada. Exact same reason why AAC teams left for a gutted Big 12 to get away from bottom feeders like Tulane and Tulsa.

Yeah, and those who can't get away are doomed to be drug down the toilet to the level of the bottom feeders.......
07-01-2022 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(07-01-2022 01:20 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

Yeah, and those who can't get away are doomed to be drug down the toilet to the level of the bottom feeders.......

if you dont get into the b10 or sec, you are a bottom feeder

look at the difference in payout
07-01-2022 01:45 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think our best hope is to land at the level of the hyena. Not exactly an apex predator but not something that's laughable.
07-01-2022 01:49 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2022 01:45 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  
(07-01-2022 01:20 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

if you dont get into the b10 or sec, you are a bottom feeder

look at the difference in payout

There will be the B10 and SEC at the top of the food chain.

Then there will be a middle level that shakes out as whatever the B12 / ACC / PAC12 become. May just end up with 2 conferences there instead of 3 but - these schools will be tier 2 after the B10 and SEC are through gutting them then they will turn around and merge / gut the AAC / MWC. (What is now FBS will become three tiers instead of P5 / G5.)

The third tier will be what's left of the G5 after the B12 / ACC / PAC12 are done gutting them and it won't be pretty or profitable. I think you'll see some shrinkage among the tier 3 left behinds with a few dropping football and / or dropping down to what is now FCS. This third tier is not where Memphis wants to end up - these will be the bottom feeders.
07-01-2022 02:01 PM
RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
If the TX/OK orphans merge with the USC/UCLA orphans then the best thing left is a Best of The Rest conference between the AAC and MWC.

A core of USF, Navy, SMU, Memphis, Boise, Colorado St. Air Force and SDSU surrounded by Tulane, Fresno, ECU, Temple would hold the line for a bit.

Seems reasonable especially in a scenario where the B12 closes shop and sets its brand new members adrift. If that were to happen and you add UCF, Houston, and/or the Bearcats back - then you have a pretty strong conference.
07-01-2022 02:12 PM
bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
(07-01-2022 01:49 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  I think our best hope is to land at the level of the hyena. Not exactly an apex predator but not something that's laughable.

I see what you did there.

04-cheers
07-01-2022 02:13 PM
Advertisement

southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
(07-01-2022 02:12 PM)RockyMTNTiger Wrote:  If the TX/OK orphans merge with the USC/UCLA orphans then the best thing left is a Best of The Rest conference between the AAC and MWC.

A core of USF, Navy, SMU, Memphis, Boise, Colorado St. Air Force and SDSU surrounded by Tulane, Fresno, ECU, Temple would hold the line for a bit.

Seems reasonable especially in a scenario where the B12 closes shop and sets its brand new members adrift. If that were to happen and you add UCF, Houston, and/or the Bearcats back - then you have a pretty strong conference.

If you believe what you read then the orphaning isn't over. ACC is next.
07-01-2022 02:35 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2022 02:12 PM)RockyMTNTiger Wrote:  If the TX/OK orphans merge with the USC/UCLA orphans then the best thing left is a Best of The Rest conference between the AAC and MWC.

The gap between this and even Tier 2 (whatever becomes of ACC / B12 / PAC12) and this mash up will be immense and almost every good player they get will get bought and transfer up to a bigger, better NIL$$$$$$$$$ deal. Best players gone every season.....

This level will be a farce and how much fun will it be to lose almost all your best players every single year?
07-01-2022 02:37 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(07-01-2022 12:42 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  With geography clearly no longer a consideration for college conferences - Is it time for the best of the AAC and the MWC to seriously consider merging into a 16-20 team conference and try to hang on to a shred of viability?

No I think that geography will become even more of a factor with those schools remaining in the AAC and Mountain West. They'll have less money to spend and so travel will become a factor
07-01-2022 02:46 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If I were to predict I'm thinking one or three more Pac-12 school and Notre Dame to the Big Ten. The SEC grabs a few more from the ACC maybe North Carolina Virginia Florida State Clemson. Two super conferences and the rest of us line up geographically in conferences to save money build rivalries and create interest.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2022 02:57 PM by Tigers2B1.)
07-01-2022 02:56 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-01-2022 02:37 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

The gap between this and even Tier 2 (whatever becomes of ACC / B12 / PAC12) and this mash up will be immense and almost every good player they get will get bought and transfer up to a bigger, better NIL$$$$$$$$$ deal. Best players gone every season.....

This level will be a farce and how much fun will it be to lose almost all your best players every single year?

It will have to be more than 64 teams, it will have to be at least 72. As long as the 3rd conference is allowed to compete in the playoff, it will all work out.
07-01-2022 03:26 PM
Advertisement

RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(07-01-2022 02:37 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

At some point you have to consider retreating to the highest ground available.
07-01-2022 04:29 PM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(07-01-2022 12:42 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  With geography clearly no longer a consideration for college conferences - Is it time for the best of the AAC and the MWC to seriously consider merging into a 16-20 team conference and try to hang on to a shred of viability?

What good would that do without a tv contract?
07-01-2022 05:16 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

The better schools in the AAC and MWC are praying for a better deal. Until this shakes out, I just don’t see what this merger brings. More teams, but some very average football.

If we in fact get left out of this, this may be a path to maintain a somewhat decent conference. Maybe the best of the third tier?

I’m still hoping for a better situation…
07-01-2022 06:37 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2022 06:37 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  The better schools in the AAC and MWC are praying for a better deal. Until this shakes out, I just don’t see what this merger brings. More teams, but some very average football.

If we in fact get left out of this, this may be a path to maintain a somewhat decent conference. Maybe the best of the third tier?

I’m still hoping for a better situation…

Sure, and I don't expect the Tier 3 schools / conferences to do anything unitil the Tier 1 and Tier 2 conferences have taken what they want. Then left behinds will have to try to form a best of the rest conference or just throw in the towel and quit wasting time and money chasing a mirage.
07-01-2022 06:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.