Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Potential MAC Expansion Timeline
Bookmark and Share
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Potential MAC Expansion Timeline
In response to a "Group of 5 Mailbag" published on Monday by The Athletic's Chris Vannini, linked below are a series of Tweets from someone who is connected to C-USA providing insight into potential MAC expansion with WKU and Missouri State not later than 2025.

https://twitter.com/All4OneCUSA/status/1...qksoIqAAAA

https://twitter.com/All4OneCUSA/status/1..._S4IIqAAAA

https://twitter.com/All4OneCUSA/status/1...D-6YIqAAAA
04-13-2022 06:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
RE: Potential MAC Expansion Timeline
(04-13-2022 06:33 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  In response to a "Group of 5 Mailbag" published on Monday by The Athletic's Chris Vannini, linked below are a series of Tweets from someone who is connected to C-USA providing insight into potential MAC expansion with WKU and Missouri State not later than 2025.

Internet rumors boring time a year let's see what happens, I would be pleased with wku and Missouri State. But according to this post appears WKU MTSU looking elsewhere.
https://twitter.com/JabariJ00527728/stat...56199?s=20
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 08:46 AM by cmufanatic.)
04-13-2022 08:44 AM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-13-2022 08:44 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  
(04-13-2022 06:33 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  In response to a "Group of 5 Mailbag" published on Monday by The Athletic's Chris Vannini, linked below are a series of Tweets from someone who is connected to C-USA providing insight into potential MAC expansion with WKU and Missouri State not later than 2025.

Internet rumors boring time a year let's see what happens, I would be pleased with wku and Missouri State. But according to this post appears WKU MTSU looking elsewhere.
https://twitter.com/JabariJ00527728/stat...56199?s=20

I'm quite sure that's a meeting about A-SUN schools transitioning up to C-USA, which the conference is likely targeting Kennesaw State and EKU. The Colonels are likely to be added specifically as a replacement if/when WKU departs.
04-13-2022 09:15 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I'd be surprised if the MAC ever invites Missouri State. It's on the far side of the state, practically a suburb of Oklahoma or Arkansas.

This appears to be some anonymous guy speculating on the internet, and nothing more.
04-13-2022 11:17 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(04-13-2022 11:17 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  I'd be surprised if the MAC ever invites Missouri State. It's on the far side of the state, practically a suburb of Oklahoma or Arkansas.

This appears to be some anonymous guy speculating on the internet, and nothing more.

Correct. As far as I know nothing has really changed on the MAC front. WKU is still interested. The MAC is still waiting on a worthwhile 14th addition to pair them with. MTSU is out. UMass all-sports could be, but their admin doesn't seem interested in leaving the A-10. I agree that Missouri State is probably a bit too far southwest to be a geographic fit.

The flip side is there are rumors about Missouri State and the SBC having mutual interest. Could see WKU paired with them to the SBC. At this point, WKU is going to take the first offer out of C-USA. I would prefer to be in a 14 team MAC vs. a 16 team SBC, but I would definitely prefer either to C-USA under our current commissioner.
04-13-2022 11:43 AM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-13-2022 11:43 AM)freshtop Wrote:  
(04-13-2022 11:17 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  I'd be surprised if the MAC ever invites Missouri State. It's on the far side of the state, practically a suburb of Oklahoma or Arkansas.

Correct. As far as I know nothing has really changed on the MAC front. WKU is still interested. The MAC is still waiting on a worthwhile 14th addition to pair them with. MTSU is out. UMass all-sports could be, but their admin doesn't seem interested in leaving the A-10. I agree that Missouri State is probably a bit too far southwest to be a geographic fit.

The flip side is there are rumors about Missouri State and the SBC having mutual interest. Could see WKU paired with them to the SBC. At this point, WKU is going to take the first offer out of C-USA. I would prefer to be in a 14 team MAC vs. a 16 team SBC, but I would definitely prefer either to C-USA under our current commissioner.

Gentlemen, FYI, Springfield, Mo., is an equal distance from the center of the MAC footprint as Amherst, Mass. Remember, too, Missouri State already competes in the MVC and MVFC, which are Midwestern conferences, stretching from the Dakotas and Ohio down to Kentucky and Tennessee (with the additions of Murray State and Belmont).
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 01:55 PM by BeatWestern!.)
04-13-2022 12:00 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

I agree that this is likely nothing more than Internet shooting-the-breeze.

But while being a bit of an outlier, I don't think Missouri State is too far out of whack, geography-wise. I can't see it being a disqualifier if everything else fit the bill.

Just from an eyeball test, Springfield MO to Buffalo still spans a shorter distance than most other conferences' extremes.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 12:04 PM by Motown Bronco.)
04-13-2022 12:03 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-13-2022 12:03 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

I agree that this is likely nothing more than Internet shooting-the-breeze.

But while being a bit of an outlier, I don't think Missouri State is too far out of whack, geography-wise. I can't see it being a disqualifier if everything else fit the bill.

Just from an eyeball test, Springfield MO to Buffalo still spans a shorter distance than most other conferences' extremes.

Exactly, Motown! If the MAC is willing to add UMass and UCF as full members, it'll have no trouble adding Missouri State.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 12:24 PM by BeatWestern!.)
04-13-2022 12:23 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-13-2022 12:23 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Exactly, Motown! If the MAC is willing to add UMass and UCF as full members, it'll have no trouble adding Missouri State.

Massachusetts is a far better university, though.

I'm uncertain how Missouri State would move the needle for us. The name sounds sort of flagshippy, I guess. I'm not seeing much else there.

I'm doubtful that North Dakota State would be interested, but they would bring a whole lot more, it seems to me.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022 01:34 PM by Schadenfreude.)
04-13-2022 01:34 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Another expansion thread...drink
04-13-2022 01:43 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-13-2022 01:34 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(04-13-2022 12:23 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Exactly, Motown! If the MAC is willing to add UMass and UCF as full members, it'll have no trouble adding Missouri State.

Massachusetts is a far better university, though.

I'm uncertain how Missouri State would move the needle for us. The name sounds sort of flagshippy, I guess. I'm not seeing much else there.

I'm doubtful that North Dakota State would be interested, but they would bring a whole lot more, it seems to me.

Missouri State would help elevate the MAC in men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball as well as both soccer programs while adding two major media markets to the MAC footprint. Both WKU and MSU fit the profile of a MAC member institution.

Absolutely no question that UMass is an outstanding academic institution that ranks up there with Buffalo and Miami. I would have no problem whatsoever adding UMass for all sports along with WKU. The only problem is UMass wants to remain in the A-10 for its Olympic sports.

Other than football, NDSU has nothing over Missouri State's athletic program and is much further outside the MAC footprint.
04-13-2022 01:48 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
How does Missouri State help elevate us? Soccer, softball, and baseball don't really pay bills in this conference.

Their men's program hasn’t been to NCAA Tournament since 1999 and their football program has been to FCS playoffs twice in 31 years with no FCS titles.
04-13-2022 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
Missouri State is interesting because there are no other G5 schools in Missouri. Outside of that though, yeah they seem like a stretch addition for a lot of reasons. I am also starting to think WKU looks less appealing. They have been passed over by multiple conferences and if they make a move, then CUSA will look at EKU to replace them. Kentucky suddenly becomes very crowded with four FBS teams and the MAC is now sharing real estate with four different conferences.

The MAC has minimal overlap with the other G5 conferences. Given that, schools like UMass or Delaware may be more appealing. I would rather see the MAC go that direction and keep playing the long game with open spots available. If you are taking a flier on an FBS startup then a school like Stony Brook could be a better long term move as they put the MAC near NYC.
04-13-2022 08:55 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Missouri State at a minimum takes a bite out of the MVC. What is going to happen with D1 transformation though? Could a few of the MAC programs decide to move down?

It would be even better for WKU to join in as 10th or 12th in the MAC instead of having to expand all the way to 14 with them.

The strategy though on the Mo State side seems to be take an invite up where they can get it now to be well situated to join the AAC with Wichita and Tulsa when the opportunity arises.
04-13-2022 10:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-13-2022 10:56 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Missouri State at a minimum takes a bite out of the MVC. What is going to happen with D1 transformation though? Could a few of the MAC programs decide to move down?

It would be even better for WKU to join in as 10th or 12th in the MAC instead of having to expand all the way to 14 with them.

The strategy though on the Mo State side seems to be take an invite up where they can get it now to be well situated to join the AAC with Wichita and Tulsa when the opportunity arises.

And you wonder why the MAC is requiring a GOR?
04-14-2022 06:14 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(04-13-2022 08:55 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Missouri State is interesting because there are no other G5 schools in Missouri. Outside of that though, yeah they seem like a stretch addition for a lot of reasons. I am also starting to think WKU looks less appealing. They have been passed over by multiple conferences and if they make a move, then CUSA will look at EKU to replace them. Kentucky suddenly becomes very crowded with four FBS teams and the MAC is now sharing real estate with four different conferences.

The MAC has minimal overlap with the other G5 conferences. Given that, schools like UMass or Delaware may be more appealing. I would rather see the MAC go that direction and keep playing the long game with open spots available. If you are taking a flier on an FBS startup then a school like Stony Brook could be a better long term move as they put the MAC near NYC.

I was hoping WKU and James Madison. Those two enlarge the foot print and seem to fit a Midwest conference even though they are not in Midwest states.

Some schools, e.g., Marshall, are definitely Southern by nature and not a good fit for a Midwestern conference.
04-14-2022 08:23 AM
Advertisement

topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(04-13-2022 08:55 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Missouri State is interesting because there are no other G5 schools in Missouri. Outside of that though, yeah they seem like a stretch addition for a lot of reasons. I am also starting to think WKU looks less appealing. They have been passed over by multiple conferences and if they make a move, then CUSA will look at EKU to replace them. Kentucky suddenly becomes very crowded with four FBS teams and the MAC is now sharing real estate with four different conferences.

That isn't as simple as you are making it to be. WKU has FBS football, so that realistically leaves only 4 options (CUSA, MAC, SBC and AAC; left out the MWC for obvious geographic reasons). The AAC clearly went after larger metro markets (Bowling Green KY does NOT have that) and WKU spent 30+ years in the SBC and (most) don't want to go back there again (SBC bball is a train wreck), so that leaves the MAC or staying in CUSA as the only options.
04-14-2022 12:04 PM
AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
(04-14-2022 12:04 PM)topper1296 Wrote:  

That isn't as simple as you are making it to be. WKU has FBS football, so that realistically leaves only 4 options (CUSA, MAC, SBC and AAC; left out the MWC for obvious geographic reasons). The AAC clearly went after larger metro markets (Bowling Green KY does NOT have that) and WKU spent 30+ years in the SBC and (most) don't want to go back there again (SBC bball is a train wreck), so that leaves the MAC or staying in CUSA as the only options.
HuskieTap22 I don’t think WKU was passed over by the SunBelt for any reason other than pure revenge. WKU is better than any of the other Sunbelt teams. But they left the SunBelt for CUSA and now the SunBelt folks want revenge. That’s also why the SunBelt passed over FIU. Pretty childish.
04-14-2022 02:01 PM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

(04-14-2022 02:01 PM)AllBronco Wrote:  
(04-14-2022 12:04 PM)topper1296 Wrote:  

HuskieTap22 I don’t think WKU was passed over by the SunBelt for any reason other than pure revenge. WKU is better than any of the other Sunbelt teams. But they left the SunBelt for CUSA and now the SunBelt folks want revenge. That’s also why the SunBelt passed over FIU. Pretty childish.

And MTSU.
04-14-2022 02:10 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass

If it's a callup, think Missouri State stadium would be less expensive to expand than Stony Brook. Agree with you assessment HuskieTap22. Whatever is best for the MAC. The MAC should not force anything, unless WKU would go to SBC. The MAC has been WKU first choice in moving up and other G5 conferences. Have not given up on my beloved UMass. There has been some sentiment movement with us and the MAC. Time will tell, but don't lose out on WKU. They should be in the MAC!
04-14-2022 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.