MyBB SMU to Hire Georgia State Coach Rob Lanier
03-25-2022 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
RE: SMU to Hire Georgia State Coach Rob Lanier
Very underwhelming. Fire the AD! SMU tickets should be sold at a major discount.
03-25-2022 09:52 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
Congratulations on the hire, especially since it wasn't our coach. Personally, I think UTEP's coach would have been a better hire than GSU's. I'm sure the UTEP fans are glad SMU went elsewhere.
03-25-2022 10:02 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

After the way Sonny Dykes treated SMU, Golding would have been radioactive.
03-25-2022 10:05 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Didn't Tulane do this exact same thing?
03-25-2022 10:13 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
i think smu could have done a way better job..

his resume is paper thin.. basically an auto-bid from a not very good team. his resume is worse that janks, the only difference is the sunbelt championship is easier than the MVC (That had a dominant wichita)
his name came up in the ECU search and i didnt even want him for ECU..

his selling point is recruiting according to your AD, he brought elite recruits to texas... every person here could recruit top texas recruits to UT.. (ron hunter recruited better at ga state than he did)
also the aac seems to love tennesse assistants.. even though tennesse/barnes arent that notable (a coach known for coaching in the tournament)

all 3 aac hires were subpar...

i legitimately think smu could have done WAY better.. but what's done is done.. if recruiting is his selling point, he has a chance to prove it with davis/Bandoumel and the transfer portal .. nothing will make a coach look better than elite some elite transfers
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2022 10:58 PM by pesik.)
03-25-2022 10:27 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Pony got rid of Jank for this guy??

[Image: face-stank.gif]
03-25-2022 10:51 PM
Memphis Yankee Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
OK.............ok.......ok
03-25-2022 10:57 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
Yikes SMU .. all that build up and years of hoping to can Jank ... for that?
03-25-2022 11:12 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

If you are going to gamble and race is that big of a deal, bring back K.T. Turner! The other more logical option with SMU ties would have been Steve Lutz.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2022 11:54 PM by mustangxc.)
03-25-2022 11:53 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Is this a joke?
03-26-2022 02:53 AM
Advertisement

SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(03-25-2022 10:27 PM)pesik Wrote:  i think smu could have done a way better job..

his resume is paper thin.. basically an auto-bid from a not very good team. his resume is worse that janks, the only difference is the sunbelt championship is easier than the MVC (That had a dominant wichita)

his selling point is recruiting according to your AD, he brought elite recruits to texas... every person here could recruit top texas recruits to UT.. (ron hunter recruited better at ga state than he did)
also the aac seems to love tennesse assistants.. even though tennesse/barnes arent that notable (a coach known for coaching in the tournament)

i legitimately think smu could have done WAY better.. but what's done is done.. if recruiting is his selling point, he has a chance to prove it with davis/Bandoumel and the transfer portal .. nothing will make a coach look better than elite some elite transfers

I’ll regard this post as an undeniable endorsement of the hire.
03-26-2022 05:48 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
SMU to Hire Georgia State Coach Rob Lanier
I didn't even want this guy at ECU. He was rumored as a top candidate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2022 07:37 AM by b2b.)
03-26-2022 07:37 AM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

(03-26-2022 05:48 AM)SadderBudweiser Wrote:  
(03-25-2022 10:27 PM)pesik Wrote:  i think smu could have done a way better job..

Tell me where Jankovich touched you because this guy ain't it. People are putting the spin on this nightmare saying he is an ace recruiter. 15 years at Virginia, Texas, Florida, Tennessee and all you can do is land 8 top 150 recruits in all that time? Yikes! Jankovich landed 2 in 2022! At least with Jankovich we were a sure bet for the NIT. Talk about shooting for the stars and reaching the ground. We are now the laughingstock of the American 3.0.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2022 07:59 AM by mustangxc.)
03-26-2022 07:58 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Congrats SMU?
03-26-2022 09:10 AM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(03-26-2022 07:58 AM)mustangxc Wrote:  
(03-26-2022 05:48 AM)SadderBudweiser Wrote:  

Tell me where Jankovich touched you because this guy ain't it. People are putting the spin on this nightmare saying he is an ace recruiter. 15 years at Virginia, Texas, Florida, Tennessee and all you can do is land 8 top 150 recruits in all that time? Yikes! Jankovich landed 2 in 2022! At least with Jankovich we were a sure bet for the NIT. Talk about shooting for the stars and reaching the ground. We are now the laughingstock of the American 3.0.

I love all the experts here. One is an authority on all things basketball. Others regard every single tweet by “an insider” or some dude who gets on tv now and then as gospel or a done deal. Slow down and realize a few things:

Jank wasn’t coming back. He’s done. And, if you want to build a competitive program you’ve got to know that he wasn’t/isn’t the answer regardless of who comes back, who transferred in or out last year, etc. He’s had six years and his teams underperformed every one of them. So saying we are better off keeping Jank is a non starter. (Kinda like most of his recruits)

This guy Lanier? I’ll start by saying I know bupkes about him but I’ll quickly add that I’ve got more than a few questions.

If he is the guy... who interviewed him and what are/were the decisive factors in the hire? Was it Miller? Was it Hart? Hart and Miller?

Is it possible that he learned from his time at Sienna? It appears he is a much more mature person and coach.
All those years as assistant in major programs: Given the right support (more than a Georgia State can offer) is he capable of bringing the program where we want it to go?
Regarding his recruiting: Is it possible that the major guys he brought in are actually the only ones he was assigned to bring in? Larger P5 staffs have more than one guy out there.

What I’m getting at is this: Given the fact that Turner and his little toy Ricky are in charge: what were you expecting? The best I am hoping for is that Miller vetted this dude thoroughly and, If he’s the guy, Miller is satisfied that he can coach, recruit and promote the program properly.

Perhaps Miller sees him as the bridge to build between now and the day HART and RGT fade into the sunset?

I’ll admit I don’t know enough to either endorse or be against hiring this guy. But from what I’ve read to date about the man (not the past record others here are harping on) I can see there’s a decent chance he’ll be successful.
03-26-2022 09:46 AM
Advertisement

CLTPirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
ECU passed on this guy and ECU seems to always make the wrong decisions in basketball so maybe this is a great hire
03-26-2022 10:25 AM
EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
Yeah, as a Memphis fan, this makes me irrationally annoyed.

With Houston and Cincinnati gone after next year, we were really counting on SMU to step in and provide a decent rivalry for as long as we're in the AAC. This sucks.

Looks like it's going to be up to UAB to fill that void.
03-26-2022 10:59 AM
EZ rider Offline
Bench Warmer

In the game of musical chairs, it looks like he was the only one left. LMAO.
03-26-2022 11:43 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
the most disappointing part is that this is the complete opposite of the splash hire.. the announcement of hiring a big time coach alone "normally" revitalizes the program , sparks new interest ..normally comes with a new sense of expectation and joy

multiple reports are out that he is the guy.. 1 by Rothstein breaking the news, that has a 100 retweets (mostly UT fans who are wishing him the best)...and 1 tweet by smu's beat writer..
the news has been out for half a day, no other media entity or person has covered or even mentioned the story..this thread right here has been the most discussion about this hire anywhere on the internet

this is the exact opposite of a splash hire, for a program that was in desperate need of something to get excited about ...

my 2nd worry- is that has no attachment to SMU, and hasnt coached at the highest level.. his resume doesnt preach of someone who will get you high level success.. but on the off chance he does, and gets smu to the sweet 16 in 3 years, he is 95% going to be taking a bigger job.. im fine with up and comers that might leave but take a more guaranteed up and comer

idk-- again i hope for smu sake he shuts me up... and is dominant and stays .. or maybe im wrong for putting too much expectation that smu can be elite program... hope everything works out
03-26-2022 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.