Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for Matt (C-USA Expansion)
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Question for Matt (C-USA Expansion)
North Alabama posters are claiming inside info they had an invite from C-USA but turned it down because they’re waiting on a Sun Belt invite. They are also claiming EKU and NDSU had C-USA invites but turned them down.

Does this align or not align with what you’ve heard?

(01-26-2022 10:40 AM)unalions Wrote:  Rumor has it that EKU and UNA were both invited to C-USA at the same time as Liberty and JSU. It seems both declined the invite because they are looking at the Sun Belt in a couple of years. It makes much more sense for UNA, if they were to make the jump to FBS, to wait on a conference that will have Troy, South AL, GA State, and Southern Miss. Much better for travel and against teams our fans would better recognize.

(01-26-2022 01:14 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  
(01-26-2022 11:20 AM)eku05 Wrote:  
Quote:Rumor has it that EKU and UNA were both invited to C-USA at the same time as Liberty and JSU. It seems both declined the invite because they are looking at the Sun Belt in a couple of years.

I can virtually guarantee you that is not the case at EKU. I have info from someone who recently talked to the president that we are still very much pursuing C-USA membership if it comes available, though there's no guarantee that it will.

Also, you're not getting invited to the Sun Belt any time soon...and neither are we unless there is a seismic shift in the landscape in a very unexpected direction. We stand a better chance than you only because in the Sun Belt there is no in-state foe to blackball us, but it still isn't likely. They don't need us.

Neither of our institutions is in any position to turn down a foot in the door if that's where you want to be. If you feel you aren't ready that's one thing. If you're just waiting on a better offer...well I've got a bridge to sell you.

UNA, EKU, and NDSU was invited to CUSA and all three turned it down...

UNAs reason is because of relationships with a few schools in the Sunbelt. Also they see a leadership problem in CUSA.

To my knowledge, KSU didn't even get a call...
01-29-2022 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: Question for Matt (C-USA Expansion)
(01-29-2022 12:01 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  North Alabama posters are claiming inside info they had an invite from C-USA but turned it down because they’re waiting on a Sun Belt invite.

A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush, right?

Can't imagine UNA could afford to be picky if in fact its goal is to move up to FBS.

Maybe the decision makers are just trying to placate alumni who've seen so many of UNA's old GSC rivals move up ...
01-29-2022 12:15 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
That and I highly doubt that Troy and South Alabama would want UNA in the 'Belr.
01-29-2022 12:25 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
It's hard for me to imagine that any FCS school that wants to move to FBS would turn down an invitation from any FBS conference, even CUSA.

Now a school that is already FBS turning down CUSA? That I can easily see.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 12:43 PM by quo vadis.)
01-29-2022 12:43 PM
Go College Sports Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NCAA
Would seem to be a highly dubious move if either UNA or EKU actually harbor goals to move to FBS.
01-29-2022 12:43 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-29-2022 12:43 PM)Go College Sports Wrote:  Would seem to be a highly dubious move if either UNA or EKU actually harbor goals to move to FBS.

EKU was a possibility to be paired with WKU in the MAC.

I'm glad that did not come to fruition.
01-29-2022 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Online
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I mean Troy and UNA used to have history back in D-II with one another but I'm not sure they would go out of their way to support UNA to the SBC.

If UNA really wanted to become FBS, which they just finally became a full D-I FCS team, then they better try to join with JSU in the C-USA.

I have read before that Missouri State wanted the SBC and would wait for them but I also don't know how true that is.
01-29-2022 12:59 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Online
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
(01-29-2022 12:57 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(01-29-2022 12:43 PM)Go College Sports Wrote:  Would seem to be a highly dubious move if either UNA or EKU actually harbor goals to move to FBS.

EKU was a possibility to be paired with WKU in the MAC.

I'm glad that did not come to fruition.

The SBC almost invited EKU over Coastal a while back. I believe they were the final two teams to be team #10. Had the NCAA not changed the rule on conference championship games we might have seen EKU also move up and NMSU offered full membership to get us to 12.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 01:00 PM by Troy_Fan_15.)
01-29-2022 12:59 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(01-29-2022 12:01 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  North Alabama posters are claiming inside info they had an invite from C-USA but turned it down because they’re waiting on a Sun Belt invite. They are also claiming EKU and NDSU had C-USA invites but turned them down.

(01-26-2022 10:40 AM)unalions Wrote:  Rumor has it that EKU and UNA were both invited to C-USA at the same time as Liberty and JSU. It seems both declined the invite because they are looking at the Sun Belt in a couple of years. It makes much more sense for UNA, if they were to make the jump to FBS, to wait on a conference that will have Troy, South AL, GA State, and Southern Miss. Much better for travel and against teams our fans would better recognize.

Quote:Rumor has it that EKU and UNA were both invited to C-USA at the same time as Liberty and JSU. It seems both declined the invite because they are looking at the Sun Belt in a couple of years.

I can virtually guarantee you that is not the case at EKU. I have info from someone who recently talked to the president that we are still very much pursuing C-USA membership if it comes available, though there's no guarantee that it will.

Also, you're not getting invited to the Sun Belt any time soon...and neither are we unless there is a seismic shift in the landscape in a very unexpected direction. We stand a better chance than you only because in the Sun Belt there is no in-state foe to blackball us, but it still isn't likely. They don't need us.

Neither of our institutions is in any position to turn down a foot in the door if that's where you want to be. If you feel you aren't ready that's one thing. If you're just waiting on a better offer...well I've got a bridge to sell you.

UNAs reason is because of relationships with a few schools in the Sunbelt. Also they see a leadership problem in CUSA.

[Image: QpBS0tt.jpg]

Conference USA does not extend invitations that will be rejected. If they can't get a 100% solid "yes" with a signed letter of acceptance, Conference USA will not extend the invitation.
01-29-2022 01:59 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-29-2022 01:59 PM)All4One Wrote:  
(01-29-2022 12:01 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  North Alabama posters are claiming inside info they had an invite from C-USA but turned it down because they’re waiting on a Sun Belt invite. They are also claiming EKU and NDSU had C-USA invites but turned them down.

[Image: QpBS0tt.jpg]

Conference USA does not extend invitations that will be rejected. If they can't get a 100% solid "yes" with a signed letter of acceptance, Conference USA will not extend the invitation.

If you want to be pedantic, then "Conference USA indicated that they would be interested in inviting (list of schools), but (list of schools) said no."

I think it's understood that we're not talking about official invites.

My guess, CUSA did reach out more or less informally to maybe a dozen FCS teams to explore who was FbS ready and who would jump at an invite. JSU and SHSU said yes-est the fast-est.

(CUSA had to be looking at at least two more when MTSU and WKU we're exploring the MAC).
01-29-2022 02:13 PM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy The Boy
(01-29-2022 12:15 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(01-29-2022 12:01 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  North Alabama posters are claiming inside info they had an invite from C-USA but turned it down because they’re waiting on a Sun Belt invite.

A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush, right?

Can't imagine UNA could afford to be picky if in fact its goal is to move up to FBS.

Maybe the decision makers are just trying to placate alumni who've seen so many of UNA's old GSC rivals move up ...

Jacksonville State and SHSU were the biggest gets on the board.

JSU was just coming off their (Michiganesque) momentum of beating Florida State...

And Sam Houston State was the FCS Champion.

At a good 9 teams, CUSA needed to start thinking about what teams would actually add (and subtract) from everyones shares.

I dont believe more were offered than that.
01-29-2022 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If I had to guess, Jacksonville St and SHSU were the first and only FCS schools they called.

Look around the FCS:

NDSU & SDSU—those are nice if you’re looking for affiliates, but C-USA needed full members

EKU & UTC—WKU & MTSU protect their turf and resist putting them at the top of the list.

The other WAC Texas schools—SHSU was the pick of the litter

Kennesaw St—this is the one that I think could have been in the conversation but I think the commuter school reputation made them the 3rd choice

Missouri St—these guys had too much to lose in the MVC to consider a shaky FBS league

UNA—seriously? They just moved up to FCS. They wouldn’t have been a serious candidate
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 04:15 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
01-29-2022 04:13 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
(01-29-2022 04:13 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If I had to guess, Jacksonville St and SHSU were the first and only FCS schools they called.

Look around the FCS:

NDSU & SDSU—those are nice if you’re looking for affiliates, but C-USA needed full members

EKU & UTC—WKU & MTSU protect their turf and resist putting them at the top of the list.

The other WAC Texas schools—SHSU was the pick of the litter

Kennesaw St—this is the one that I think could have been in the conversation but I think the commuter school reputation made them the 3rd choice

Missouri St—these guys had too much to lose in the MVC to consider a shaky FBS league

UNA—seriously? They just moved up to FCS. They wouldn’t have been a serious candidate
Sam Houston moved to the WAC specifically because they had FBS aspirations. Jacksonville State move to ASUN specifically because they had FBS aspirations. SFA and EKU may have had similar aspirations but just weren't ready.

There might have been feelers put out to Missouri State, NDSU, and SDSU.

North Alabama is not even a DI school yet.
01-29-2022 04:51 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Did the Sun Belt "quietly" seek James Madison a few years ago and JMU politely said "no thanks"? If so (and I could easily be wrong), that would be a highly unusual example of an FCS program looking to move up yet nixing an opportunity with an FBS league.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 07:08 PM by bill dazzle.)
01-29-2022 07:07 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(01-29-2022 07:07 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Did the Sun Belt "quietly" seek James Madison a few years ago and JMU politely said "no thanks"? If so (and I could easily be wrong), that would be a highly unusual example of an FCS program looking to move up yet nixing an opportunity with an FBS league.

I recall the course of events. I’m not sure any of the parties were openly discussing it in the media but to all of us, it was obvious that they were approached and balked.
01-29-2022 08:51 PM
jmu18 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
(01-29-2022 08:51 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(01-29-2022 07:07 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Did the Sun Belt "quietly" seek James Madison a few years ago and JMU politely said "no thanks"? If so (and I could easily be wrong), that would be a highly unusual example of an FCS program looking to move up yet nixing an opportunity with an FBS league.

I recall the course of events. I’m not sure any of the parties were openly discussing it in the media but to all of us, it was obvious that they were approached and balked.

This is true. We had an informal invite from the Sun Belt around 2013-2014. At the time we said no for a few reasons:

- We would’ve been a geographic outlier by a long shot
- NMSU/Idaho were still in. Coastal was not there yet.
- The quality of teams was not what it was now

Another thing to note is that we most likely wouldn’t have accepted a Sun Belt invite this year if Marshall and/or ODU weren’t coming along. JMU’s goal has been a nice geographic conference which is what the Sun Belt east now has.
01-29-2022 09:02 PM
Advertisement

JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
Jax state was offered because we have been working steadfastly towards that goal in every aspect of athletics and facilities. We are fbs ready. And still building toward that goal.

Tuna KSU are lacking in a few areas. The dakotas are 1000 miles away from the closest cusa school wku. If they are added all sports there will be a need for schools to bridge the gap I believe
Also it was reported early that Cusa was looking at 30+ schools from which 4 were added for the time being. More are likely added as need arises. Perhaps time will be beneficial for KSU and tuna as for EKU I believe they may have a wku problem. Like JSU had a troy st. Problem in the sbc.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 09:26 PM by JSUCleburneslim.)
01-29-2022 09:21 PM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
I don't know about North Alabama, but I do know that CUSA reached out to a LOT of FCS schools to gauge interest in potentially joining (like, over a dozen), and a lot of them, including North Dakota State, declined to get involved in that process, or, like Missouri State, withdrew very quickly.

The folks I've been talking to over the last few months believe that EKU would take an CUSA invite right now if offered, and that they are one of the handful of FCS programs that very much wants to go FBS as soon as possible. I don't know enough about the specifics of conversations those parties had in 2021 to say concretely who declined who....but I wouldn't shocked if by say, December of 2022, EKU was preparing to join Conference USA.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 10:05 PM by MattBrownEP.)
01-29-2022 09:56 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(01-29-2022 09:56 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I don't know about North Alabama, but I do know that CUSA reached out to a LOT of FCS schools to gauge interest in potentially joining (like, over a dozen), and a lot of them, including North Dakota State, declined to get involved in that process, or, like Missouri State, withdrew very quickly.

The folks I've been talking to over the last few months believe that EKU would take an CUSA invite right now if offered, and that they are one of the handful of FCS programs that very much wants to go FBS as soon as possible. I don't know enough about the specifics of conversations those parties had in 2021 to say concretely who declined who....but I wouldn't shocked if by say, December of 2022, EKU was preparing to join Conference USA.

UCA, Lamar, SFAU, Tarleton State, McNeese State and NC A&T wants FBS. North Dakota State said they would accept an FBS invite if offered. Chattanooga and Missouri State said in the future they would go.

I think C-USA needs to be stable first before more FCS schools join FBS.
01-29-2022 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-29-2022 10:11 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(01-29-2022 09:56 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I don't know about North Alabama, but I do know that CUSA reached out to a LOT of FCS schools to gauge interest in potentially joining (like, over a dozen), and a lot of them, including North Dakota State, declined to get involved in that process, or, like Missouri State, withdrew very quickly.

UCA, Lamar, SFAU, Tarleton State, McNeese State and NC A&T wants FBS. North Dakota State said they would accept an FBS invite if offered. Chattanooga and Missouri State said in the future they would go.

Thank you for your reporting journalism David.
01-29-2022 10:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.