Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How do we feel about the WAC now? [no expansion talk]
Bookmark and Share
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
How do we feel about the WAC now? [no expansion talk]
Please, this isn’t for DavidSt to come and talk about UCO and Co-Mesa. How does everyone feel about NMSU and SHSU leaving? Do you still feel good about the WAC’s potential and long-term stability? Leaders talked about trying to get this to a 2 bid league, is that impossible now, or can we make that dream come true?
11-05-2021 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: How do we feel about the WAC now? [no expansion talk]
The WAC might want to up the exit fee ... by an order of magnitude
11-05-2021 08:46 PM
FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lamar
(11-05-2021 08:28 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Please, this isn’t for DavidSt to come and talk about UCO and Co-Mesa. How does everyone feel about NMSU and SHSU leaving? Do you still feel good about the WAC’s potential and long-term stability? Leaders talked about trying to get this to a 2 bid league, is that impossible now, or can we make that dream come true?

I like the make up of the WAC going forward. I still think in a few years the football will be good enough to make the transition if everyone wants to and basketball wise I think two bids is potentially possible. The key will be can the WAC schedule group of five level schools for home and home games in basketball. You probably will never see a P5 school come play at a WAC arena but hopefully the WAC can do like Gonzaga has done and get some at neutral sites.
11-05-2021 08:56 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(11-05-2021 08:46 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The WAC might want to up the exit fee ... by an order of magnitude

Yes, that is really low. Maybe NMSU had a different one because of their football situation and length in the league.
11-05-2021 09:06 PM
SFAXE93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stephen F. Austin State
ABILENE CHRISTIAN
CALIFORNIA BAPTIST
DIXIE STATE
GRAND CANYON
INCARNATE WORD
LAMAR
MCNEESE STATE
SEATTLE
SOUTHERN UTAH
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
TARLETON
TEXAS - RIO GRANDE VALLEY
UTAH VALLEY

FOOTBALL
ABILENE CHRISTIAN
DIXIE STATE
INCARNATE WORD
LAMAR
MCNEESE STATE
SOUTHERN UTAH
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
TARLETON
TEXAS - RIO GRANDE VALLEY (?)

It's a conference!
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021 09:12 PM by SFAXE93.)
11-05-2021 09:11 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(11-05-2021 08:56 PM)FirstandGoal Wrote:  
(11-05-2021 08:28 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Please, this isn’t for DavidSt to come and talk about UCO and Co-Mesa. How does everyone feel about NMSU and SHSU leaving? Do you still feel good about the WAC’s potential and long-term stability? Leaders talked about trying to get this to a 2 bid league, is that impossible now, or can we make that dream come true?

I like the make up of the WAC going forward. I still think in a few years the football will be good enough to make the transition if everyone wants to and basketball wise I think two bids is potentially possible. The key will be can the WAC schedule group of five level schools for home and home games in basketball. You probably will never see a P5 school come play at a WAC arena but hopefully the WAC can do like Gonzaga has done and get some at neutral sites.

Yeah, I am just not sure how the balance is now, with the probable additions of two more eastern teams. There are rumors, one of the non-Utah teams could move to the WCC, I am not sure that will happen though. If it does, makes it more unbalanced. I would guess that Southern Utah didn’t move to play McNeese and Lamar every year.
11-05-2021 09:15 PM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
I was really excited about the new teams joining the WAC and the potential for basketball. At least we have 2 seasons to play each other.
11-05-2021 09:22 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
I think the schools we have can make the WAC a good conference in all sports. How much each school decides to invest will make the difference.
11-05-2021 09:25 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(11-05-2021 09:11 PM)SFAXE93 Wrote:  ABILENE CHRISTIAN
CALIFORNIA BAPTIST
DIXIE STATE
GRAND CANYON
INCARNATE WORD
LAMAR
MCNEESE STATE
SEATTLE
SOUTHERN UTAH
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
TARLETON
TEXAS - RIO GRANDE VALLEY
UTAH VALLEY

FOOTBALL
ABILENE CHRISTIAN
DIXIE STATE
INCARNATE WORD
LAMAR
MCNEESE STATE
SOUTHERN UTAH
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
TARLETON
TEXAS - RIO GRANDE VALLEY (?)

It's a conference!

Northern Arizona would be a good option if a 10th member is needed.
11-05-2021 09:30 PM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
I am more confident in the WACs long term health and viability then ever before. The WAC moved quickly and have already replaced the two departing universities. As a basketball league it will continue to be a nice mid major. The WAC will still have the top current basketball programs in SFA, ACU, UVU, CBU, and GCU and SUU will be a nice addition. I only wish we didn't have to wait till 2023. I don't like being in limbo personally, but here we are. I don't have a dog in the football fight so not sure of the impact for those schools. For basketball and the Olympic sports the WAC is looking strong!
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021 10:03 PM by LopesUp.)
11-05-2021 10:02 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(11-05-2021 08:46 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The WAC might want to up the exit fee ... by an order of magnitude

There would likely be opposition, but those for it would still outnumber those against it. Conference USA is likely not done, and if I had to guess, I'd say any of Abilene Christian, Lamar, Tarleton, and/or Stephen F Austin could be picked up by the league. They would likely oppose an increased exit fee.
11-05-2021 10:06 PM
Advertisement

OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA

We are losing marquis names in basketball (NMSu) and football (Sam). I believe every institution has to make decisions in their own best interest and wish them nothing but the best, BUT their departure destabilizes the WAC and I find it unsettling. We aren’t exactly in survival mode, more a shift from proactive to reactive.

Going forward there is a pressing need to balance the number of west-southwest schools and to focus on capitalizing on existing strength in basketball as well as fielding a competitive FCS football conference without further defections.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021 02:45 AM by OscarWildeCat.)
11-06-2021 02:35 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
I am still a little up in the air about the move from NMSU standpoint. I think that the WAC will be a strong basketball conference, and volleyball as well. Cross country is growing as well. I understand the stated desire to join a conference for all sports, and the NMSU AD was pretty clear about this, for a long time. So when CUSA asked, NMSU accepted. I do hope some of the WAC teams will still schedule NMSU. I think that UVU or GCU will draw more fans than Jacksonville St or FIU.
11-06-2021 05:44 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(11-06-2021 05:44 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  I am still a little up in the air about the move from NMSU standpoint. I think that the WAC will be a strong basketball conference, and volleyball as well. Cross country is growing as well. I understand the stated desire to join a conference for all sports, and the NMSU AD was pretty clear about this, for a long time. So when CUSA asked, NMSU accepted. I do hope some of the WAC teams will still schedule NMSU. I think that UVU or GCU will draw more fans than Jacksonville St or FIU.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out going forward. It wouldn't shock me if GCU/UVU/CBU/Seattle don't schedule with NMSU going forward.

I wouldn't mind a GCU/NMSU matchup in the Jerry Colangelo Classic.
11-06-2021 08:57 AM
edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(11-06-2021 05:44 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  I am still a little up in the air about the move from NMSU standpoint. I think that the WAC will be a strong basketball conference, and volleyball as well. Cross country is growing as well. I understand the stated desire to join a conference for all sports, and the NMSU AD was pretty clear about this, for a long time. So when CUSA asked, NMSU accepted. I do hope some of the WAC teams will still schedule NMSU. I think that UVU or GCU will draw more fans than Jacksonville St or FIU.

NMSU might be reluctant to schedule most WAC teams for the same reason P5s are reluctant to schedule NMSU. The WAC teams are not good enough that an NMSU win would gain brownie points or raise their NET, but good enough that there's a serious danger of NMSU being upset.

Understood that this was the right thing for NMSU and SHSU but it's still very disheartening. I wanted the membership to be stable long enough to develop some rivalries and history, but what little we did have mostly involved NMSU. The Texas Four had plenty among themselves but SHSU leaving messes that up too. The conference is now majority newbies.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021 10:42 AM by edinburger.)
11-06-2021 10:14 AM
edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(11-05-2021 08:28 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Do you still feel good about the WAC’s potential and long-term stability? Leaders talked about trying to get this to a 2 bid league, is that impossible now, or can we make that dream come true?

Two bid? If it weren't for adding SFA we'd be in serious danger of getting sent 16thed and sent to the First Four. I acknowledge that GCU and maybe UVU deserve higher but they need to have strong conference opponents to prove it.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021 10:41 AM by edinburger.)
11-06-2021 10:22 AM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(11-06-2021 08:57 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

This will be interesting to see how it plays out going forward. It wouldn't shock me if GCU/UVU/CBU/Seattle don't schedule with NMSU going forward.

I wouldn't mind a GCU/NMSU matchup in the Jerry Colangelo Classic.

Given our proximity and familiarity, I wouldn't rule out some games in the future. Historically, GCU has been pretty consistent, and that's a big plus in non conference scheduling. We both might be among the higher NET ranking teams either of us can get scheduled.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021 11:29 AM by Todor.)
11-06-2021 11:29 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
An in season home and home between NMSU and GCU would be nice.
11-06-2021 12:43 PM
KINGALLISON Offline
2nd String

I Root For: New Mexico St
NMSU should get a good $1.5 million per year from the CFP revenue distribution. That extra $1.25 million a year will go a long way.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2021 12:47 PM by KINGALLISON.)
11-06-2021 12:47 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
Disappointed that the schools are leaving the WAC but wish them well. Who knows if it is a mistake or not? I just want a strong WAC.
11-06-2021 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.