Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTSA Coach
Bookmark and Share
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
UTSA Coach
UTSA needs to give their FB coach a raise and extension now.

Don't wait until the second half of the season when other programs will express an interest.
09-25-2021 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
RE: UTSA Coach
(09-25-2021 08:43 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  UTSA needs to give their FB coach a raise and extension now.

Don't wait until the second half of the season when other programs will express an interest.

Just don't give him an MTSU-style contract. Then he wouldn't have to do a good job anymore to receive an extension.
09-25-2021 08:52 PM
davi78239 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
I agree. But last time they did that we got burnt with Frank Wilson. But Traylor ain’t Frank so we need to act fast!!
09-25-2021 08:53 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
He is already gone fellas. Just enjoy it while you can and hope he doesn't leave before the title game
09-26-2021 01:06 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(09-26-2021 01:06 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  He is already gone fellas. Just enjoy it while you can and hope he doesn't leave before the title game

Oh, I doubt he leaves before the UAB-UTSA game.
09-26-2021 05:31 AM
Rowdy's Castle Offline
2nd String

I'm just going to enjoy the season and not worry about this kind of stuff.
09-26-2021 07:31 AM
Advertisement

Tech80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(09-26-2021 05:31 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(09-26-2021 01:06 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  He is already gone fellas. Just enjoy it while you can and hope he doesn't leave before the title game

You might were just being flippant, but I think you are right, that is the CUSA championship game this year.

Caveat: Yes, we all know sports can be nutso sometimes. And, there is a lot of football yet to be played. It's a long way to December 4th...all of that stuff. But it's clear who has staked a claim to the title.

That said, I surely hope the Dawgs surprise everyone...
09-26-2021 07:43 AM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
And certainly don't give him a Seth Littrell type contract.03-banghead
09-26-2021 08:18 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-26-2021 07:43 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  
(09-26-2021 05:31 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

You might were just being flippant, but I think you are right, that is the CUSA championship game this year.

Caveat: Yes, we all know sports can be nutso sometimes. And, there is a lot of football yet to be played. It's a long way to December 4th...all of that stuff. But it's clear who has staked a claim to the title.

That said, I surely hope the Dawgs surprise everyone...

Any fan who is being serious knows that La Tech will always be a tough out. UTSA and UAB better take that one seriously. Good news for UAB is that you all have UTSA at home and us on the road. Bad news, we face UTSA on the road. Good news, we just played 7 consecutive games away from home and was 5-2.
09-26-2021 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davi78239 Offline
Special Teams

That just makes me mad that some are talking about our coach being gone. I personally don’t think so yet even after this year. What gets me though is how UAB still has Bill Clark and like La Techs coach, pretty good program bowl eligible every year except what, 2013?? How is it that the minute we get good, our coach is gone?? Even with Frank Wilson the rumor mill started churning for that 3-0 start in 2017. Jesus Christ we’re still a young program let us build something here for awhile!! We would like to become a La Tech or a UAB too at some point. He goes and this young program might go in the toilet again and we don’t need that. Still trying to get T Shirt UT fans to buy in and it’s hard. Only way to do that is by winning and winning very consistently to include the bowls. This town has been greatly spoiled by the Spurs success of past and will only show up by winning a ton. Those early attendance years by us when we were averaging 35k plus against even nobody’s like Bacone and some other D2’s I’m thinking cause the toy was still new and shiny. But once the novelty wore off and with some pretty bad seasons, people stopped showing up and I guess went back hook ‘em horns, which has long been entrenched in San Antonio’s culture forever. Them and the damn Dallas Cowboys(sorry if I made someone mad just now). But yea, just my rant this morning. Oh and believe me, we ain’t taking La Tech lightly as they still own us big time. Only last year and in Skips first year in 2013 have we beaten them. And last year they were manhandling us at home until Jeff Traylor (surprise surprise) lit a fire up their assess at the half and we came out and came back to win at the end.
09-26-2021 09:05 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(09-26-2021 09:05 AM)davi78239 Wrote:  That just makes me mad that some are talking about our coach being gone. I personally don’t think so yet even after this year. What gets me though is how UAB still has Bill Clark and like La Techs coach, pretty good program bowl eligible every year except what, 2013?? How is it that the minute we get good, our coach is gone?? Even with Frank Wilson the rumor mill started churning for that 3-0 start in 2017. Jesus Christ we’re still a young program let us build something here for awhile!! We would like to become a La Tech or a UAB too at some point. He goes and this young program might go in the toilet again and we don’t need that. Still trying to get T Shirt UT fans to buy in and it’s hard. Only way to do that is by winning and winning very consistently to include the bowls. This town has been greatly spoiled by the Spurs success of past and will only show up by winning a ton. Those early attendance years by us when we were averaging 35k plus against even nobody’s like Bacone and some other D2’s I’m thinking cause the toy was still new and shiny. But once the novelty wore off and with some pretty bad seasons, people stopped showing up and I guess went back hook ‘em horns, which has long been entrenched in San Antonio’s culture forever. Them and the damn Dallas Cowboys(sorry if I made someone mad just now). But yea, just my rant this morning. Oh and believe me, we ain’t taking La Tech lightly as they still own us big time. Only last year and in Skips first year in 2013 have we beaten them. And last year they were manhandling us at home until Jeff Traylor (surprise surprise) lit a fire up their assess at the half and we came out and came back to win at the end.

Ohhhhhhhhhh… he gone
09-26-2021 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
" But once the novelty wore off and with some pretty bad seasons, people stopped showing up and I guess went back hook ‘em horns, which has long been entrenched in San Antonio’s culture forever. Them and the damn Dallas Cowboys(sorry if I made someone mad just now). But yea, just my rant this morning".

Add in the Texas Rangers. Welcome to UNT's world!
09-26-2021 09:48 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

(09-25-2021 08:52 PM)All4One Wrote:  
(09-25-2021 08:43 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  UTSA needs to give their FB coach a raise and extension now.

Just don't give him an MTSU-style contract. Then he wouldn't have to do a good job anymore to receive an extension.

Exactly. At a minimum require a 7-5 or 8-4 regular season record and an occasional Bowl Win for any automatic 1 year extensions. Otherwise, y'all gonna be stuck in Perpetuity with this dude when Y'all slip back into Mediocrity like us.
09-26-2021 10:18 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2021 10:18 AM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  
(09-25-2021 08:52 PM)All4One Wrote:  

Exactly. At a minimum require a 7-5 or 8-4 regular season record and an occasional Bowl Win for any automatic 1 year extensions. Otherwise, y'all gonna be stuck in Perpetuity with this dude when Y'all slip back into Mediocrity like us.

I would bet for the contract if the requirement was 9-3 instead of 6-6
09-26-2021 10:25 AM
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-26-2021 09:05 AM)davi78239 Wrote:  That just makes me mad that some are talking about our coach being gone. I personally don’t think so yet even after this year. What gets me though is how UAB still has Bill Clark and like La Techs coach, pretty good program bowl eligible every year except what, 2013?? How is it that the minute we get good, our coach is gone?? Even with Frank Wilson the rumor mill started churning for that 3-0 start in 2017. Jesus Christ we’re still a young program let us build something here for awhile!! We would like to become a La Tech or a UAB too at some point. He goes and this young program might go in the toilet again and we don’t need that. Still trying to get T Shirt UT fans to buy in and it’s hard. Only way to do that is by winning and winning very consistently to include the bowls. This town has been greatly spoiled by the Spurs success of past and will only show up by winning a ton. Those early attendance years by us when we were averaging 35k plus against even nobody’s like Bacone and some other D2’s I’m thinking cause the toy was still new and shiny. But once the novelty wore off and with some pretty bad seasons, people stopped showing up and I guess went back hook ‘em horns, which has long been entrenched in San Antonio’s culture forever. Them and the damn Dallas Cowboys(sorry if I made someone mad just now). But yea, just my rant this morning. Oh and believe me, we ain’t taking La Tech lightly as they still own us big time. Only last year and in Skips first year in 2013 have we beaten them. And last year they were manhandling us at home until Jeff Traylor (surprise surprise) lit a fire up their assess at the half and we came out and came back to win at the end.

Paragraphs are nice. ;-)

The fact is if a young first-time coach has success, and success at a program with challenges, he will draw interest from other programs. At some point, you will not be able to afford to retain his services if he keeps on winning. But for the immediate future, you need to increase his compensation to avoid him pursuing other opportunities.
If UTSA is not willing to invest in him, then why should he invest in UTSA?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2021 08:30 AM by The WEST is the BEST.)
09-26-2021 11:04 AM
davi78239 Offline
Special Teams

(09-26-2021 11:04 AM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  

Paragraphs are nice. ;-)

The fact is if a young first-time coach has success, and success at a program with challenges, he will draw interest from other programs. At some point, you will not be able to afford to retain his services if he keeps on winning. But for the immediate future, you need to increase his competition to avoid him pursuing other opportunities.

I think they will this season. They almost have to at this point. No brainer.
09-26-2021 11:24 AM
Advertisement

biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-26-2021 11:04 AM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  

Paragraphs are nice. ;-)

The fact is if a young first-time coach has success, and success at a program with challenges, he will draw interest from other programs. At some point, you will not be able to afford to retain his services if he keeps on winning. But for the immediate future, you need to increase his competition to avoid him pursuing other opportunities.

Agree about paragraphs :)

But he’s a Texas guy much like Bill is an Alabama guy. Both are heavily invested in their home states and both schools took chances on relatively unproven college commodities. Both schools hit paydirt. I think it would take someone with an absolutely perfect situation to get either one especially if both schools continue to invest in the programs.
09-26-2021 11:24 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
If someone wants these coaches they're gone anyway. If they don't you're sitting on a dud with an extended contract.

Stockstil
Doc
Littrell
Holtz

I'm sure there are more. All got extensions. None were recruited to go somewhere else. Better to keep them hungry and fire-able. If they were truly next level coaches they would be at the next level.
09-26-2021 03:31 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2021 03:31 PM)MUther Wrote:  If someone wants these coaches they're gone anyway. If they don't you're sitting on a dud with an extended contract.

Stockstil
Doc
Littrell
Holtz

I'm sure there are more. All got extensions. None were recruited to go somewhere else. Better to keep them hungry and fire-able. If they were truly next level coaches they would be at the next level.

I actually like this mindset.
09-27-2021 08:10 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
Our AD has said many times that if your coaches aren't being poached then maybe you don't have the right coaches. At the G5 level (especially at our rung of the ladder), you have to accept that keeping a great coach forever isn't going to happen. After that you can make a plan that allows you to keep playing high level football and stash some buyout money in the coffers for a rainy day (like getting rid of a coach when he doesn't pan out).
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2021 08:19 AM by freshtop.)
09-27-2021 08:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.