Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Charlie King Retiring December 31st
Bookmark and Share
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Charlie King Retiring December 31st
Announced today by JMU. He'll stay onboard in a part time role.

https://www.jmu.edu/news/2021/09/24-char...tire.shtml

Alger also announced at the BOV meeting today that Bourne will begin reporting directly into him, which many of us have been waiting for.
09-24-2021 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
RE: Charlie King Retiring December 31st
It really does merit its own thread.
09-24-2021 01:44 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Mr. King, thanks for the Performing Arts Center, BFS and the Bank Center.
09-24-2021 02:04 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

BOV, please replace Charlie King well, at least try...
09-24-2021 02:08 PM
PGJMU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Dukes
I believe CK will be still serving in an informal capacity to manage the relationship with Richmond.

From an athletics facilities stand point, no one has done more for JMU. Well done Mr. King.
09-24-2021 02:12 PM
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
(09-24-2021 02:12 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  I believe CK will be still serving in an informal capacity to manage the relationship with Richmond.

From an athletics facilities stand point, no one has done more for JMU. Well done Mr. King.

Sounds like a bit of a retirement package for him.

Charlie has done a ton of great things for JMU. Facilities are the pride of FCS. Really built up the facilities on the academics side as well. I believe he had much more power than other's with the same title. He shaped JMU into what it is today. It will be interesting the power the person who replaces him has.
09-24-2021 02:34 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2021 02:34 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 02:12 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  I believe CK will be still serving in an informal capacity to manage the relationship with Richmond.

Sounds like a bit of a retirement package for him.

Charlie has done a ton of great things for JMU. Facilities are the pride of FCS. Really built up the facilities on the academics side as well. I believe he had much more power than other's with the same title. He shaped JMU into what it is today. It will be interesting the power the person who replaces him has.

Completely agree with your thoughts. Though you may have fallen short with the bolded statement. Facilities go much further than simply being the pride of FCS, our athletic department operates with a clear advantage over 75% of all D-I universities.
09-24-2021 04:31 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(09-24-2021 12:28 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Announced today by JMU. He'll stay onboard in a part time role.

https://www.jmu.edu/news/2021/09/24-char...tire.shtml

Alger also announced at the BOV meeting today that Bourne will begin reporting directly into him, which many of us have been waiting for.

"Into him?" Is that a Freudian slip, Jonny?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021 05:30 PM by Purple.)
09-24-2021 05:29 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

No one person has done more for JMU than CK. We should all be grateful for his dedication and commitment to JMU through the years. I have always found CK to be honest and ethical. I believe this is why he is so respected in Richmond. His will be big shoes to fill.
09-25-2021 10:10 AM
JMUPride Offline
1st String

(09-25-2021 10:10 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  No one person has done more for JMU than CK.

I'll call your Charlie King, and raise you Ron Carrier
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2021 07:30 AM by JMUPride.)
09-26-2021 07:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2021 07:30 AM)JMUPride Wrote:  
(09-25-2021 10:10 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  No one person has done more for JMU than CK.

I'll call your Charlie King, and raise you Ron Carrier

Agree, without Uncle Rob, there'd have been no need in CK. Someone had to get this JMU ball rolling and that person was Carrier.
09-26-2021 08:15 AM
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

I didn’t say King did more than Carrier. Carrier was the Architect. King was the builder. Both were equally as important. I will put Dean Ehlers up there as the Architect of athletics for JMU. Bourne has been the builder of what Dean started.

It is quite possible we will see JMU and JMU athletics tail off from what it has been for all of these years. There are only a few left from the Carrier days. The administration is definitely turning over. The vision Carrier provided has been executed upon. What we will have going forward is Alger’s undeniable stamp on JMU. I am concerned about what JMU will become under his remaining tenure. While I like Alger as a person, I don’t support the direction he is taking our school.
09-26-2021 08:35 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol @ “the direction he is taking our school”. What? Up?
09-26-2021 09:40 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2021 08:35 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  I didn’t say King did more than Carrier. Carrier was the Architect. King was the builder. Both were equally as important. I will put Dean Ehlers up there as the Architect of athletics for JMU. Bourne has been the builder of what Dean started.

It is quite possible we will see JMU and JMU athletics tail off from what it has been for all of these years. There are only a few left from the Carrier days. The administration is definitely turning over. The vision Carrier provided has been executed upon. What we will have going forward is Alger’s undeniable stamp on JMU. I am concerned about what JMU will become under his remaining tenure. While I like Alger as a person, I don’t support the direction he is taking our school.

I don't like Alger as a person and he can go to straight to hell or take you pick of destinations. I am an atheist so not so much hell, but let's go with straight to hell with the entire B.O.V.
09-26-2021 11:17 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
I think you guys are nuts- Athletics are part of our DNA and brand. You don’t have to be in the know to see that our sports programs continue to trend upwards. Typical sky is falling scare tactics that are unsubstantiated. I guess Alger’s recent statement or the statements he made in conjunction with the Softball run are negated by some letter he co-signed years ago about COA. JMUs programs have since all adopted Cost of Attendance years ago and continue to invest more individually and collectively.
09-26-2021 03:46 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Thanks Charlie King.
09-26-2021 04:31 PM
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

NJ: Please don’t place me in the sky is falling crowd. I am simply concerned. I know Charlie’s contributions over the years both large and small. I and others I know who are very aware of these contributions don’t see someone like Charlie waiting in the wings to keep the ball rolling. It is helpful to athletics when the man who writes the checks for the university is pro sports.

As I have said multiple times, I hope my concern is unwarranted but I don’t feel it is.
09-27-2021 07:20 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
I'm curious what direction we are headed that has several of you concerned. JMU seems to be on the up and up to me.
09-27-2021 07:51 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Charlie King has definitely pivotal in JMU during his time here.
For the "sky is falling crowd" (I understand that crowd is not everyone here): when will you learn JMU is larger than one person? Do you seriously think they aren't going to put someone in place that can handle the position? Or do you think Charlie or the admin for that matter wouldn't have a plan for someone to succeed him?
This retirement isn't sudden. They have known it was coming.
I'm disappointed in those that think JMU cannot handle this or would put someone in place that wouldn't be able to keep JMU moving forward.
Is King the only human being on the planet that can fund James Madison University?
Things can change without the sky falling. Grow up.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2021 08:37 AM by JMad03.)
09-27-2021 08:35 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

(09-27-2021 07:51 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  I'm curious what direction we are headed that has several of you concerned. JMU seems to be on the up and up to me.

I agree with you that JMU has been on the up. This has happened under Charlie’s leadership as Alger has been pretty much hands off since becoming President. From what I know, Charlie has had full autonomy. With Charlie retiring, it is a new day for JMU athletics. That doesn’t mean everything falls apart. There is still infrastructure in place.

Anytime there is a change in leadership at the highest level, there is cause for concern especially when the person leaving performed at a high level. Charlie’s replacement will not have the same level of authority. From what I hear, that person will no longer be in charge of athletics at all. Bourne now reports to Alger. Will athletics decisions previously made by Charlie be made by Bourne or Alger? By a committee of people?

It is possible that JMU will thrive with new ideas or vision. Maybe there is a yet to be known administrator that will take JMU to a higher level. Time will tell. I just know we have been blessed to have someone with Charlie’s talent and connections. Replacing all he does will be a challenge.
09-27-2021 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.