Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can ESPN Save The American
maccoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
Hear me out. Could ESPN throw enough money at the American to prevent AAC teams from jumping to the Big 12? What would that number have to be?
09-02-2021 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
RE: Can ESPN Save The American
I think the better question is "why would they?" The B12 is partially their property and by moving the top from the AAC they can lower the AAC contract significantly.
09-02-2021 02:33 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It would need to be a big number and I’m not sure it’s worth it to ESPN
09-02-2021 02:34 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
AAC sweetheart deal for UCF, Cincy, and Houston...

It worked for Boise State and the MW.
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
I actually tend to think espn intends to save money by saving the big 12. Remember if the aac loses a too 4 team they have the right to re-negotiate the entire aac tv.

I could easily see a scenario where espn decides it’s cheaper to move 3-4 teams and reduce the aac tv deal to $2 milion a year.

Sent from the Warp via the ruinous powers of Chaos!
maccoog Offline
1st String

(09-02-2021 02:34 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  AAC sweetheart deal for UCF, Cincy, and Houston...

I thought about this but thought it would be hypocritical as we made a big stink about Boise wanting something similar in the American.
09-02-2021 02:36 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(09-02-2021 02:31 PM)maccoog Wrote:  Hear me out. Could ESPN throw enough money at the American to prevent AAC teams from jumping to the Big 12? What would that number have to be?

Of course they CAN---but they probably wont. The last time they stepped in to save a conference was when they did the Longhorn Network to torpedo the Texoma 4 from heading to the Pac12. Ive never seen them lift a finger to help any G5 conference.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2021 02:38 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-02-2021 02:37 PM
maccoog Offline
1st String

(09-02-2021 02:34 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  I actually tend to think espn intends to save money by saving the big 12. Remember if the aac loses a too 4 team they have the right to re-negotiate the entire aac tv.

I could easily see a scenario where espn decides it’s cheaper to move 3-4 teams and reduce the aac tv deal to $2 milion a year.

But who would the Big 12 add if they couldn't add American teams. Does BYU and Boise let them keep P5 status and save a good amount of the tv deal?
09-02-2021 02:38 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(09-02-2021 02:31 PM)maccoog Wrote:  Hear me out. Could ESPN throw enough money at the American to prevent AAC teams from jumping to the Big 12? What would that number have to be?

It’s not just $$. It’s perception and getting away from the lower half of the conference. Fans and donors would be happier to see iSU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas etc on the football and basketball schedule than fill in the blank AAC teams.

Selling the Big East name and coming up with a new name and logo was silly. Having the B12 name would correct some of that.

And yes, ESPN will likely save $$ by revisiting the AAC deal over the next decade.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2021 02:44 PM by rath v2.0.)
09-02-2021 02:43 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(09-02-2021 02:38 PM)maccoog Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 02:34 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  I actually tend to think espn intends to save money by saving the big 12. Remember if the aac loses a too 4 team they have the right to re-negotiate the entire aac tv.

But who would the Big 12 add if they couldn't add American teams. Does BYU and Boise let them keep P5 status and save a good amount of the tv deal?

There isn’t anyone they CAN really add outside of the American. That’s why the poaching is going to come in the form of aac teams leaving.

09-02-2021 02:44 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(09-02-2021 02:34 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  AAC sweetheart deal for UCF, Cincy, and Houston...

As a UC fan I’d think that was a terrible idea.

We need the bottom half of the AAC to get a lot better, not put them at a further competitive disadvantage.
09-02-2021 02:45 PM
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
The only way ESPN will save the American is by blowing up the Big 12 to get out of the LHN contract early and start cashing in early on UT/OU in the SEC. For that to happen, they'd have to convince the PAC-12 schools to stomach Oklahoma St. and either Kansas or Texas Tech for a new TV contract and move WVU to the ACC along with ND, Cincy, or maybe Baylor and renegotiate their TV contract. I feel like the economics wouldn't work in that scenario.
09-02-2021 02:46 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

The latest statement from Aresco was in reference to the current American teams staying together for a renegotiation. basically saying that we were in danger of being poached and seemed to have lost leverage in being the aggressor.

the only way i see us staying together is if ESPN cuts ties with the B12 and bumps our pay closer to 12-14 mil to not leave.

but for a little more they can have the L8 + The Big 3 + BYU.

i don't see it happening.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2021 03:05 PM by Agust.)
09-02-2021 02:56 PM
Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
UCF, Cincy have stars in their eyes...their chance to "move up" . Nothing would keep them in the AAC unless the Big 12 tells them no. That said, congrats to all that go to the Big 12 much deserving of a step up. The Big 12 8 plus BYU and 3 of the top AAC schools will make the Big 12 a solid conference.
09-02-2021 03:07 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
It would need to be around 18 million with better bowl tie ins a clear path to the playoffs.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2021 03:12 PM by True Bearcat.)
09-02-2021 03:12 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
No
09-02-2021 03:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
The AAC will survive. It still has good tv coverage and money. Better than any G league, even if the league loses 3 it will have 8 left and pick from best of the rest.

I find it funny that many of the same people that argue the L8 can pick off the AAC can’t seem to comprehend that the AAC will do just the same from MWC,CUSA etc.
09-02-2021 03:15 PM
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. Not in its current form. If the Big XII is taking AAC members, ESPN ain't stopping it.
09-02-2021 03:19 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(09-02-2021 03:15 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  The AAC will survive. It still has good tv coverage and money. Better than any G league, even if the league loses 3 it will have 8 left and pick from best of the rest.

I find it funny that many of the same people that argue the L8 can pick off the AAC can’t seem to comprehend that the AAC will do just the same from MWC,CUSA etc.

You will be able to pick off some from other conferences, for sure. But just like with the Big 12 the end result will be a smaller pile of money for the conference since there wouldn't be any options that are near that of the 3 that would be leaving (outside of Boise). I don't think the MWC would come though. CUSA and SBC sure though.

The AAC contract will change if Cincy, UCF, and Houston all leave.
09-02-2021 03:21 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(09-02-2021 03:21 PM)e-parade Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 03:15 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  The AAC will survive. It still has good tv coverage and money. Better than any G league, even if the league loses 3 it will have 8 left and pick from best of the rest.

You will be able to pick off some from other conferences, for sure. But just like with the Big 12 the end result will be a smaller pile of money for the conference since there wouldn't be any options that are near that of the 3 that would be leaving (outside of Boise). I don't think the MWC would come though. CUSA and SBC sure though.

The AAC contract will change if Cincy, UCF, and Houston all leave.

Two things yes it will probably change but it will still be best from any G league and no it won’t drop as much as the Big12 because those we are losing are NOT UT/ OU
09-02-2021 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.