Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So what now?
Bookmark and Share
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
So what now?
Big 10 forming an alliance with ACC and Pac 10
OOC games for them will consist of playing other teams in the Alliance. Where does MAC and G5 get its money games from now?

Not to mention this paves the way to eliminate G5 from playoff picture now

Greedy bastards G5 was about to get at least 1 place at he table and now the door is practically shut
08-20-2021 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: So what now?
(08-20-2021 02:15 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  Big 10 forming an alliance with ACC and Pac 10
OOC games for them will consist of playing other teams in the Alliance. Where does MAC and G5 get its money games from now?

Not to mention this paves the way to eliminate G5 from playoff picture now

Greedy bastards G5 was about to get at least 1 place at he table and now the door is practically shut

I think this might mean their cupcake games with FCS schools is over but I don't see these conferences scheduling all 3-4 of their non-conference games against each other.

If they did, schools like Illinois, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Duke, Syracuse, Purdue, UCLA, Colorado, Washington St, etc. will have a hard time getting bowl eligible or ever making the playoff system.

It also would cut down on schools generating revenue and having home field advantage with 7-8 home games (like Ohio State, Michigan, etc.) by paying G5 and FCS schools the one-and-done fee.

All conference members won't agree to such scheduling.
08-20-2021 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

Good point definitely eager to see how this shakes out but th no doubt leaves less OOC for G5 regardless
08-20-2021 02:34 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
How would this shut the G5 out of a potential playoff spot?
08-20-2021 03:50 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

(08-20-2021 03:50 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  How would this shut the G5 out of a potential playoff spot?

Because super conferences are forming. The new alliance will cast similar votes according to rico beard at 97.1 Detroit. Think they will vote to have a G5 playoff spot? Heck no
08-20-2021 04:15 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Talk is about dumping the NCAA and forming their own
governing body.
08-20-2021 05:31 PM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

Interesting
08-20-2021 05:32 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
cmufanatic Wrote:  Because super conferences are forming. The new alliance will cast similar votes according to rico beard at 97.1 Detroit. Think they will vote to have a G5 playoff spot? Heck no

(08-20-2021 05:31 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Talk is about dumping the NCAA and forming their own governing body.

I feel like the P5s already have their own super conferences and are doing whatever they want regardless of NCAA. Cost of attendance, NIL, the current playoff system, etc. are all mechanisms that have been shoved down our throat by P5s. They own the system as is, NCAA has little power now. I think anyone pretending they already don't is just being naive.
08-20-2021 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

100%
08-20-2021 07:48 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-20-2021 04:15 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 03:50 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  How would this shut the G5 out of a potential playoff spot?

Because super conferences are forming. The new alliance will cast similar votes according to rico beard at 97.1 Detroit. Think they will vote to have a G5 playoff spot? Heck no

Heck yeah! If the PAC12 has the underdog score an upset in their CCG ... they want a cushion on how far they can drop. "Into the first round" is a lot softer landing than "out of the playoffs altogether". Why would the PAC-12 and ACC vote to risk getting locked out of the CFP12 in order to give a 7th at-large spot that is likely to be taken by the Big Ten or SEC?

If the Big Ten was not willing to stay with the 6-6 structure, they wouldn't be willing to join into a CFP12 negotiating group with the ACC and PAC12, since they cannot join that alliance and then expect to outvote the other two.

And the Big Ten gets to sell the same support for the 6-6 twice ... once to the ACC and PAC12 in return for something it wants (we'll find out later what that is), and then as a member of the Alliance to the Go5 schools for supporting something the Alliance as a whole wants.

Remember, everybody has to wait on the money flow until 2026 unless all contract signatories agree to the contract restructure. And the Power conferences will obviously be getting the lion's share of the CFP12 money, as they did with the CFP4 money. The Go5 schools are not going to go for a restructure that kills the Access Bowl spot but also does not open a path to the college football playoff ... if that is the offer on the table, they'll hold onto the Access Bowl race until 2026.

On the Alliance scheduling, if it creates extra value by shifting some Go5/FCS games to Power4 games, it will reduce the buy games going to Go5 schools, but the FCS games will get hit harder ... as in, that last contract, the Big Ten tried to ban FCS games to boost the value the value of the inventory, and then after pushback from the small stadium schools, went to allowing an FCS game in the year a Big Ten schools only has four home Big Ten games.

In the next Big Ten contract, it wouldn't be surprising if it is 11 "Power" conference games, not FCS games, which means one buy Go5 game allowed. Where they might accommodate the pushback from the small stadium schools is allowing the Big12 to continue to be counted as a "Power" conference even though they would in reality be a kind of a "tweener" conference.

So that would not be the end of Big Ten Go5 games, but it would be a roughly 33%-50% reduction per school over a two year cycle, depending on how many of the 7 FCS game allotment is taken (eg, OSU rarely takes advantage of their FCS allowance).

So a likely raise in the Go5 share of revenue if the CFP12 gets put into place, but a reduction in total buy game revenue, both from number of games available, and also the going rate likely dropping if there are fewer games being bought.

(08-20-2021 07:04 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  ... Cost of attendance, NIL, the current playoff system, etc. are all mechanisms that have been shoved down our throat by P5s. ...

The NIL is definitely the courts that pushed that down the throats of the Power Conferences. They wanted that money going through their accounts, they didn't want it going straight to the athletes that people are paying big money to watch while they are working for room and board and tuition to go to classes they are forced to sign up for to pretend that they are student athletes.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021 09:44 AM by BruceMcF.)
08-21-2021 09:29 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
They are still going to need the G5 games because the Kansases and Vandys of the world are going to need them to have a chance at bowl eligibility…unless of course they do away with those rules too
08-21-2021 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
With the power conferences so big and multi region it does make a lot of sense just to play 10 conference games, 1 G5 and 1 FCS tune up.

This does of course hurt the Kent State strategy of playing 3 power schools in the non-conference. The guarantee money I heard is a function of winnability so power schools may opt for better G5 teams they don't have to pay as much in the future.
08-21-2021 12:45 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
(08-21-2021 12:27 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  They are still going to need the G5 games because the Kansases and Vandys of the world are going to need them to have a chance at bowl eligibility…unless of course they do away with those rules too

Yea except they'll have plenty of non good teams to play IN the alliance. If you're in the Big 10 you can grab Georgia Tech, Pitt, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC State, Duke, Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State... you can easily fill two slots. That's not to mention what's left of the Big 12 and the SEC. If you're in the ACC you can grab one of the Arizona schools, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern...plus what's left of the Big 12 and the SEC. They could very easily schedule without including the G5 if they really wanted to. No one cares what the Vandy's want.. they're just there to collect a check and showcase their academics anyways.
08-21-2021 07:22 PM
Warhawks222 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Payday & Friday
(08-21-2021 07:22 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  
(08-21-2021 12:27 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  They are still going to need the G5 games because the Kansases and Vandys of the world are going to need them to have a chance at bowl eligibility…unless of course they do away with those rules too

Yea except they'll have plenty of non good teams to play IN the alliance. If you're in the Big 10 you can grab Georgia Tech, Pitt, Boston College, Wake Forest, NC State, Duke, Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State... you can easily fill two slots. That's not to mention what's left of the Big 12 and the SEC. If you're in the ACC you can grab one of the Arizona schools, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern...plus what's left of the Big 12 and the SEC. They could very easily schedule without including the G5 if they really wanted to. No one cares what the Vandy's want.. they're just there to collect a check and showcase their academics anyways.

Sure. But the teams you just listed make up a majority of the teams in the alliance. Why would the majority of teams condone their own chances at making a bowl or having a winning record, and the money it would bring to appease the Ohio States, Alabamas and USCs of the world?

You think the students, alumni and boosters are going to just sit there and not say anything when their teams are all 6-6 and the top 3 or 4 other teams go to the playoffs every year and get all the cash and prestige without the other teams in the alliance even having a chance? Not likely.
08-22-2021 04:24 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

(08-22-2021 04:24 AM)Warhawks222 Wrote:  

Sure. But the teams you just listed make up a majority of the teams in the alliance. Why would the majority of teams condone their own chances at making a bowl or having a winning record, and the money it would bring to appease the Ohio States, Alabamas and USCs of the world?

You think the students, alumni and boosters are going to just sit there and not say anything when their teams are all 6-6 and the top 3 or 4 other teams go to the playoffs every year and get all the cash and prestige without the other teams in the alliance even having a chance? Not likely.

They mau change the system who knows. Toss records for bowl games, restructure everything. The biggest takeaway is this will affect the G5 in a huge monetary way.
08-22-2021 06:03 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

Except what the telecast partners will pay extra for is to sort them out into tiers and schedule Tier1 Home v Tier1 Away, Tier2 Home v Tier2 Away, down all four tiers ... so for the "safe" win, you still need the buy game.

And the Alliance schools can harvest the benefit by just including one OOC game in the pool.

So while it would be no surprise at all if there is a reduction in Go5 games ... in part to soften the buy game market and reduce the current escalating buy game costs ... it would be surprising if they suddenly shifted to no buy games at all.

There's also a decreasing returns element ... the less dramatic shift of one game into an Alliance pool harvests the majority of the extra media value available, so start there. The less dramatic change also avoids the risk premium attached to more dramatic changes.
08-23-2021 04:44 AM
Advertisement

MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
One (unintended) effect is to further devalue the bowl games. Mississippi State Vs Virginia Tech: of mild interest. Mississippi State Vs Virginia Tech when they play out of the same pool and meet up often: of dubious interest.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021 08:29 AM by MacLord.)
08-24-2021 08:29 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
So what now?
https://bigten.org/news/2021/8/24/genera...iance.aspx

Here is the announcement

What I see happening is that two non conference football games are accounted for by playing a team from the other two leagues leaving the last game as a viable alternative to schedule a MAC or CUSA type program. Similar to what many schools already do.

1 vs 1 2 vs 2 etc could be one way or the games could form a rotation.

Schools like Indiana that regularly go around the MAC and D 1 FCS schools in Indiana for non conference games will have a tougher route to bowls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-24-2021 02:29 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-24-2021 02:29 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  https://bigten.org/news/2021/8/24/genera...iance.aspx

Here is the announcement

What I see happening is that two non conference football games are accounted for by playing a team from the other two leagues leaving the last game as a viable alternative to schedule a MAC or CUSA type program. Similar to what many schools already do.

1 vs 1 2 vs 2 etc could be one way or the games could form a rotation.

Schools like Indiana that regularly go around the MAC and D 1 FCS schools in Indiana for non conference games will have a tougher route to bowls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Bowls? Sounds like they're going to an expanded
Play off system.
08-24-2021 04:09 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
And... that's pretty much exactly what they just did. They have no reason to schedule anyone else outside of conference now.
08-24-2021 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.