Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Unofficial Post-Murphy Era MBB Thread
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Unofficial Post-Murphy Era MBB Thread
What do we know:

1). Murphy has landed back in Detroit with the Pistons organization. The only ones not knowing that have been under a rock the last 24 hours. As indicated elsewhere he is friends with the big boss. Never a bad thing!!!

2). EMU has apparently 'scrubbed' the coaches part of the MBB roster website. My guess is that a coach, say Mondo, will be kept on to 'run the operation' until a new coach and staff are on board. We still have a hoops program, just without a full coaching staff. Work continues... Coaching is a 52 week endeavor. It doesn't stop after the last game is played.

3). More and more players continue to enter the transfer portal. This isn't a surprise. There were 80+ teams still playing as of yesterday, but the number of players reported as transferring by verbalcommits.com continues to pick up steam.

4). As far as players and recruiting. Until we get a new coach it is damn near impossible to make any intelligent comments or insights. Who knows, maybe players from the next coach's program to EMU. "uncharted waters' We haven't dealt with this in 10 years and the MBB landscape has changed greatly since then.

5). As far as the NEXT coach. Our AD has been in MI, MS, N. Carolina, etc. We know Murphy's contacts (NBA); we do not know Scott's contacts. I would think it will be say 2 weeks before good rumors circulate. Social media is much more robust than it was 10 years ago. 10 years ago David Goricki was on the search; apparently Tony Paul this year????

Any other topics????
03-18-2021 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: Unofficial Post-Murphy Era MBB Thread
(03-18-2021 09:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  What do we know:

1). Murphy has landed back in Detroit with the Pistons organization. The only ones not knowing that have been under a rock the last 24 hours. As indicated elsewhere he is friends with the big boss. Never a bad thing!!!

2). EMU has apparently 'scrubbed' the coaches part of the MBB roster website. My guess is that a coach, say Mondo, will be kept on to 'run the operation' until a new coach and staff are on board. We still have a hoops program, just without a full coaching staff. Work continues... Coaching is a 52 week endeavor. It doesn't stop after the last game is played.

3). More and more players continue to enter the transfer portal. This isn't a surprise. There were 80+ teams still playing as of yesterday, but the number of players reported as transferring by verbalcommits.com continues to pick up steam.

4). As far as players and recruiting. Until we get a new coach it is damn near impossible to make any intelligent comments or insights. Who knows, maybe players from the next coach's program to EMU. "uncharted waters' We haven't dealt with this in 10 years and the MBB landscape has changed greatly since then.

5). As far as the NEXT coach. Our AD has been in MI, MS, N. Carolina, etc. We know Murphy's contacts (NBA); we do not know Scott's contacts. I would think it will be say 2 weeks before good rumors circulate. Social media is much more robust than it was 10 years ago. 10 years ago David Goricki was on the search; apparently Tony Paul this year????

Any other topics????

how much do i have to donate to get them to add cursive 'Eastern' jerseys?
03-18-2021 09:43 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Yes a couple but you did a great job of hitting the high points.
How will the search for,a new coach be handled? Search firm like NIU or an appointed internal committee of stakeholders?
You will know We are serious when the job is officially posted with the qualications. Jobs are posted usually for 30 days though it may vary.
What is the,salary being offered? Incentive bonuses?
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 10:05 AM by emu79.)
03-18-2021 09:59 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I guess a post on Jeff Boals at Ohio has been deleted.

If I were an EMU faculty giving a quiz my first question would be: "Compare and contrast Jeff Boal to any EMU MBB alum (Neely, Thomases, Boykins, etc.). Compare their resumes in coaching at the D-I level.

Hint: If I were the Ohio AD I would have gone after Jeff Boals in a N.Y. minute. Beloved Ohio U player, great coaching resume, etc. Flat out winner. Maybe future B1G coach???

Jeff Boals
Basketball team coach
Jeff Boals is the head coach of the Ohio Bobcats men's basketball team. Boals spent seven years as an assistant coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes men's basketball team under the tutelage of Thad Matta before replacing Steve Pikiell as the head coach for the Stony Brook Seawolves for three years. Wikipedia
Born: September 5, 1972 (age 48 years), Magnolia, OH
Annual salary: 581,000 USD
Record: 30-22 (.577)
Team coached: Ohio Bobcats men's basketball (Head coach, since 2019)
Team: Ohio Bobcats men's basketball
Education: Ohio University (1995)
Wife: Katie ohiostatebuckeyes.com
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 10:05 AM by emu steve.)
03-18-2021 10:04 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Who needs a search firm when you can just ask Stapleton?
03-18-2021 10:29 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Unless Game,Above puts up some cash I don't we will pay 600k
03-18-2021 11:19 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-18-2021 11:19 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Unless Game,Above puts up some cash I don't we will pay 600k

'79, you are spot on. The big question is what is the salary, etc. Can we hit say 500K? Tough since C.C. doesn't make that much.

I'm going 'Sunshine Steve' again. I think, as I have posted, EMU continues to make great progress the last 5 or 10 years (e.g., facilities, buildings, academic majors, etc.) and now is the time to reap what the U has been sowing.

We've lost recruits in years past who wanted to study engineering, etc. as the best we had was engineering tech.

The biggest problem I see is that we don't have a 'logical choice.' As indicated with Ohio U. they had a very well like fmr player (Boals), who had a great resume at OSU, SUNY-Stony Brook, etc. A natural choice.

I just don't see an assistant coach at a B1G school, or an unemployed Mike Davis, etc. out there just waiting to be plucked.

I wish Boykins was the head coach at say a low major school and looking to move up another level and come back home.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 11:41 AM by emu steve.)
03-18-2021 11:40 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Doesn't fit completely with this thread, but here are the transfers from the MAC in the last week. Crazy. It isn't a bad program or two or a bad coach or two. it is most schools.

https://verbalcommits.com/conferences/mid-american

One can see all of the transfer by going to the appropriate section. Think I read already nearly 600 and 80+ teams still playing as of yesterday.

Lot of transfer shopping ahead. I'd be willing to guess the next coach will try to hit the transfer market hard.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 11:53 AM by emu steve.)
03-18-2021 11:48 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

Wasn’t Murphy’s base salary 250K? Would we even be able to offer 400K?
03-18-2021 12:07 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(03-18-2021 11:40 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 11:19 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Unless Game,Above puts up some cash I don't we will pay 600k

'79, you are spot on. The big question is what is the salary, etc. Can we hit say 500K? Tough since C.C. doesn't make that much.

I'm going 'Sunshine Steve' again. I think, as I have posted, EMU continues to make great progress the last 5 or 10 years (e.g., facilities, buildings, academic majors, etc.) and now is the time to reap what the U has been sowing.

We've lost recruits in years past who wanted to study engineering, etc. as the best we had was engineering tech.

The biggest problem I see is that we don't have a 'logical choice.' As indicated with Ohio U. they had a very well like fmr player (Boals), who had a great resume at OSU, SUNY-Stony Brook, etc. A natural choice.

I just don't see an assistant coach at a B1G school, or an unemployed Mike Davis, etc. out there just waiting to be plucked.

I wish Boykins was the head coach at say a low major school and looking to move up another level and come back home.
Boykins has to be learning something at Arkansas! He's the most logical choice! How much is he getting paid at Arkansas? Boykins brings excitement, and A great story NBA, E Michigan, etc.........Lorenzo Neely has been at Wayne St for almost 2 decades! Both Thomas twins have a good story, and NBA experience!
03-18-2021 12:09 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2021 12:09 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 11:40 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Boykins has to be learning something at Arkansas! He's the most logical choice! How much is he getting paid at Arkansas? Boykins brings excitement, and A great story NBA, E Michigan, etc.........Lorenzo Neely has been at Wayne St for almost 2 decades! Both Thomas twins have a good story, and NBA experience!

Nah. Director of Player Development is not a coaching position. He’s more like a mentor.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 12:13 PM by holybovine.)
03-18-2021 12:11 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2021 12:07 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Wasn’t Murphy’s base salary 250K? Would we even be able to offer 400K?

I think his base was 350k. We could probably stretch it to 400k but without private funding 400k would probably be the max. A couple of things,as coaches leave so do assistants. People need and want paychecks. A job beats no job. Second opportunity. You run your own show and if you do well you rake in the clams. You know Saddi doesn't have to move to take the EMU job. It's right in his own backyard. One example.
03-18-2021 12:13 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2021 12:13 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 12:07 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Wasn’t Murphy’s base salary 250K? Would we even be able to offer 400K?

I think his base was 350k. We could probably stretch it to 400k but without private funding 400k would probably be the max. A couple of things,as coaches leave so do assistants. People need and want paychecks. A job beats no job. Second opportunity. You run your own show and if you do well you rake in the clams. You know Saddi doesn't have to move to take the EMU job. It's right in his own backyard. One example.

Saddi would be a dream, but he turned down WMU at 400K. I guess you have to make the call and inquire...
03-18-2021 12:17 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-18-2021 12:17 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Saddi would be a dream, but he turned down WMU at 400K. I guess you have to make the call and inquire...

I'm going to pivot back to an earlier comment:

IF we offered Saddi 500K, is C.C. happy making less?

Do we need to add riders to C.C.'s contract. Bonus for everything imaginable???

That said, maybe Saddi would look more favorably at staying in Washtenaw County? Doesn't need to move or uproot.
03-18-2021 12:41 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2021 12:41 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 12:17 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

I'm going to pivot back to an earlier comment:

IF we offered Saddi 500K, is C.C. happy making less?

Do we need to add riders to C.C.'s contract. Bonus for everything imaginable???

That said, maybe Saddi would look more favorably at staying in Washtenaw County? Doesn't need to move or uproot.

CC contract goes through 2022. He will make 500k plus incentives that year.
03-18-2021 02:15 PM
mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
Don't know if it's been stated here yet but Gibson also in the transfer portal

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status...43047?s=20

Expected at this point. Will be interesting to see who we do keep at the end of the day
03-18-2021 06:50 PM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
https://twitter.com/detnews_sports/statu...63040?s=21

I don’t have a subscription, but it appears that Goricki is suggesting Stan Heath could be the next guy. He was just named coach of the year in the G-League yesterday.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 07:05 PM by KPJ.)
03-18-2021 07:01 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I have a subscription. Listed about 20 guys including everyone we listed, except Braun and Marjerle.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 08:32 PM by emu steve.)
03-18-2021 07:25 PM
mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
Off topic but I just went through some of our transfers from the past few years. Two are in the portal again (Malik Ellison and Kevin McAdoo) and one played in 19 games for a tournament team (Tariq Silver at Oregon State).

But the biggest question that was left unanswered is Where in the world is Andre Rafus?
03-18-2021 08:18 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2021 07:01 PM)KPJ Wrote:  https://twitter.com/detnews_sports/statu...63040?s=21

I don’t have a subscription, but it appears that Goricki is suggesting Stan Heath could be the next guy. He was just named coach of the year in the G-League yesterday.

Bob W and I were talking about Health.

I like him -- a lot.
03-18-2021 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.