Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Men's Tournament
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
CAA Men's Tournament
UNCW was coming in at the #10 spot no matter what happened with Elon.

I didn't realize Phillips would be back and playing as much as he did against Elon. Not sure if we can get back just one more player to make it 8 for the tourney, but if we can, I wouldn't want to play UNCW.

Phillips played 22 minutes against Elon. If he can get to 30 minutes, and hopefully we can get Bowen back for the tournament, I think UNCW beats William and Mary. Eight players deep is doable for a tournament run. I would not want to play this team with Phillips back in the lineup. He's that good for this team.

We'd then face NU, who we seem to always play well.

I thought I was done with UNCW basketball this year, but the return of Phillips has me excited again.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021 12:34 PM by 82hawk.)
02-27-2021 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: CAA Men's Tourrnament
(02-27-2021 09:01 PM)82hawk Wrote:  UNCW was coming in at the #10 spot no matter what happened with Elon.

I didn't realize Phillips would be back and playing as much as he did against Elon. Not sure if we can get back just one more player to make it 8 for the tourney, but if we can, I wouldn't want to play UNCW.

Phillips played 22 minutes against Elon. If he can get to 30 minutes, and hopefully we can get Bowen back for the tournament, I think UNCW beats William and Mary. Eight players deep is doable for a tournament run. I would not want to play this team with Phillips back in the lineup. He's that good for this team.

We'd then face NU, who we seem to always play well.

I thought I was done with UNCW basketball this year, but the return of Phillips has me excited again.
I will say this, along with Shy coming back, the teams that are horrible size matchups for us are a few games away on other side of bracket too!
02-27-2021 09:08 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I like our chances in the first round. If we get another player or 2 back, this team can compete.

There’s still some inconsistency in half court but that is less when Shy initiates the action. The help defense has a ways to go imho. You don’t want to over help but some is needed. We don’t have a constant eraser on the backend. Dodd can do some of that.
02-27-2021 09:45 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2021 09:45 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I like our chances in the first round. If we get another player or 2 back, this team can compete.

There’s still some inconsistency in half court but that is less when Shy initiates the action. The help defense has a ways to go imho. You don’t want to over help but some is needed. We don’t have a constant eraser on the backend. Dodd can do some of that.

Dodd needs to do more than be a back end eraser. He only had three rebounds and ZERO points. I honestly don't know how a guy with his size can't grab few offensive rebounds and put the ball in the bucket. We need Bowen back who rebounds and defends as well as Dodd, but can also score
02-28-2021 01:24 AM
Big Alpha Hawk Offline
Bench Warmer

Is Northeastern on a pause? I thought I was that if so maybe they will be rusty. JMU is top seed but they lost their best player and CAA leading scorer for year so that is going to be tough for them
03-01-2021 12:08 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: CAA Men's Tournament
Sounds like we will likely have Bowen. Coach did not share anything about any of the other missing guys though
03-01-2021 12:36 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-01-2021 12:36 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Sounds like we will likely have Bowen. Coach did not share anything about any of the other missing guys though

That would be huge. As long as we didn't lose anyone else, we'd have enough to compete. Althoug I wonder how much he'd play Dodd?
03-01-2021 01:31 PM
All American

They can play Boggs at 4 some once Bowens is back. Everybody should be in the mix so that we can make a run at this.
03-01-2021 08:45 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

IMO, this tournament will determine whether Dodd stays or goes. If he doesn't play significant minutes, I think he's gone.
03-02-2021 07:40 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Looks like Elon is the Cinderella of the CAA tournament this year. Would LOVE to see a NC school make it to the NCAA tournament from the CAA.
03-08-2021 09:13 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2021 09:13 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Looks like Elon is the Cinderella of the CAA tournament this year. Would LOVE to see a NC school make it to the NCAA tournament from the CAA.

Me too. UNCG and App are in. Campbell was in the Big South finals. Love seeing the NC schools doing well
03-08-2021 09:17 PM
Advertisement

All American

I don’t see them winning it but it would be a good story. Huskies are the best program and the winner of the next game dances more than likely.
03-08-2021 09:19 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2021 09:19 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I don’t see them winning it but it would be a good story. Huskies are the best program and the winner of the next game dances more than likely.

I wouldn't count them out. They have good interior players who can rebound and defend, and they can light it up from three. That's the kind of combination that can beat almost anyone on a good night. Also have some guys who can beat you off the dribble and finish at the rim. I've been impressed watching their last couple of games.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021 09:25 PM by 82hawk.)
03-08-2021 09:24 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

The league apologized to JMU
03-08-2021 09:50 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Elon has won 7 in a row. But 4 in a row is awfully difficult and hasnt been done in the CAA. Tiring legs will effect 3s.
03-08-2021 10:04 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2021 09:50 PM)solohawks Wrote:  The league apologized to JMU

An empty arena, where you can literally hear every word spoken by everybody at every moment, may have been a contributing factor.
03-09-2021 05:15 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2021 05:15 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

An empty arena, where you can literally hear every word spoken by everybody at every moment, may have been a contributing factor.

03-lmfao
03-09-2021 08:22 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(03-09-2021 05:15 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

A dysfunctional CAA , which seems to be able to screw up a one-car funeral , might have been as well. It's not like this is a one-off screw up either.

Imagine if Elon wins this thing and goes to the Dance, and your consolation prize is a "our bad" ?

The good news for "JoeyD" is that no one outside the CAA knows anything about it, since no one watches FloSports or even knows that it exists.
03-09-2021 08:34 AM
geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

If Elon wins tonight, the NCAA should set up an Elon vs Appalachian play in game. That would get publicity in NC.

2 of my kids went to ASU undergrad and my UNCW daughter went to Elon Law School. My family will watch it. That's 5 households if Nielson wants to know.
03-09-2021 09:58 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2021 09:58 AM)geezerhawkdad Wrote:  If Elon wins tonight, the NCAA should set up an Elon vs Appalachian play in game. That would get publicity in NC.

2 of my kids went to ASU undergrad and my UNCW daughter went to Elon Law School. My family will watch it. That's 5 households if Nielson wants to know.

That would be fun
03-09-2021 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.