Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Seismic Change Coming to College Football
Bookmark and Share
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
Seismic Change Coming to College Football
https://sports.yahoo.com/after-college-f...58001.html

The following article talks about the potential changes in realignment. There is a good tad-bit about how Coastal helped remind folks what makes college football [& athletics] great.

"Also relevant is that the AAC has already engaged with Boise State and San Diego State about potentially joining. It’d be naïve to not brace for another round of realignment at both the Power Five and Group of Five level"

Do you think there is anyway that the Big XII raids the AAC heavily around 2023 as their deal begins to expire? If they were to say lose 4 teams, 2 to the SEC (OU and UT) and 2 to B1G (KU and ISU) what would happen to the G5? If they don't they may choose to still add two schools, most likely from the AAC.

What happens if the 6 left over invite schools like SDSU, Boise, UH, Memphis, Cincy, and UCF to make Big XII version 3.0?

That would leave the AAC with SMU, Tulane, USF, ECU, Temple, and Navy. Could be that 2 of them also go to Big XII (Big XIV) as well?

With continued success of SBC programs and the downward trend of CUSA mean that we could be raided heavily this time around OR would the markets scheme still take place and CUSA get raided and we sort through scraps IF we wanted anyone else? I imagine the MAC is the only safe conference.

I mean I wouldn't mind the AAC's money or bowl bids but I highly doubt Troy would get an invite. I mean the remaining AAC could just invite the SBC and be done with it! 03-lol

EDIT: I have doubts whether or not we will see 16-20 team super leagues at the P5 but you never know with those people.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 03:51 PM by Troy_Fan_15.)
01-14-2021 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Seismic Change Coming to College Football
Sorry, but I can not take Yahoo Sports serious. They aren't exactly my source for sports.
01-14-2021 04:18 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(01-14-2021 03:50 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  https://sports.yahoo.com/after-college-f...58001.html

The following article talks about the potential changes in realignment. There is a good tad-bit about how Coastal helped remind folks what makes college football [& athletics] great.

"Also relevant is that the AAC has already engaged with Boise State and San Diego State about potentially joining. It’d be naïve to not brace for another round of realignment at both the Power Five and Group of Five level"

Do you think there is anyway that the Big XII raids the AAC heavily around 2023 as their deal begins to expire? If they were to say lose 4 teams, 2 to the SEC (OU and UT) and 2 to B1G (KU and ISU) what would happen to the G5? If they don't they may choose to still add two schools, most likely from the AAC.

What happens if the 6 left over invite schools like SDSU, Boise, UH, Memphis, Cincy, and UCF to make Big XII version 3.0?

That would leave the AAC with SMU, Tulane, USF, ECU, Temple, and Navy. Could be that 2 of them also go to Big XII (Big XIV) as well?

With continued success of SBC programs and the downward trend of CUSA mean that we could be raided heavily this time around OR would the markets scheme still take place and CUSA get raided and we sort through scraps IF we wanted anyone else? I imagine the MAC is the only safe conference.

I mean I wouldn't mind the AAC's money or bowl bids but I highly doubt Troy would get an invite. I mean the remaining AAC could just invite the SBC and be done with it! 03-lol

EDIT: I have doubts whether or not we will see 16-20 team super leagues at the P5 but you never know with those people.

Why do you highly doubt Troy would get an invite??
01-14-2021 04:23 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

It’s all about money, and market teams for the sake of being located in a city doesn’t bring in money. Teams with fan support bring in money. You want to get your team noticed, fill your stadium, sell some tshirts, tune in to ESPN+ to watch your team and then win some ball games.

The CUSA has proven that big city location where no one cares about you=no money and still no one cares about you.
01-14-2021 04:38 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(01-14-2021 04:18 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  Sorry, but I can not take Yahoo Sports serious. They aren't exactly my source for sports.

I don't typically either, just thought provoking I guess.
01-14-2021 04:52 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(01-14-2021 04:23 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 03:50 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  https://sports.yahoo.com/after-college-f...58001.html

Why do you highly doubt Troy would get an invite??

I just don't think we have the "market" appeal for the AAC. Sure, we would bring a solid football team, football history, and good fan support. I don't think our b-ball team is good enough for these guys though. I tournament appearance in 2017, but we were bang average that regular season. We have good women's b-ball but is that our sell?
01-14-2021 04:56 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-14-2021 04:52 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 04:18 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  Sorry, but I can not take Yahoo Sports serious. They aren't exactly my source for sports.

Pete Thamel and Dan Wetzel are great sports writers though.
01-14-2021 04:57 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(01-14-2021 04:38 PM)Usajags Wrote:  It’s all about money, and market teams for the sake of being located in a city doesn’t bring in money. Teams with fan support bring in money. You want to get your team noticed, fill your stadium, sell some tshirts, tune in to ESPN+ to watch your team and then win some ball games.

The CUSA has proven that big city location where no one cares about you=no money and still no one cares about you.

If the AAC were HEAVILY raided, I think if they abandoned the market scheme they could assimilate a wonderful 12-14 G5 beast of a conference. Unfortunately, that is wishful thinking and they would probably bring in the CUSA "markets" like UAB (who is actually a good choice), Charlotte, Rice, etc.
01-14-2021 04:58 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-14-2021 04:52 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  

That's not to say that some changes will be made at some point in the system, eventually.
01-14-2021 05:19 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

If the P5 go to 16 or 18 teams a piece, the Big XII doesn’t reload, they go the way of the Big East, and will no longer be seen as a power player at the table.

The PAC 12 has already flirted with Texas in the past, they have room to grow to 16 and add some of those Big XII schools. That will help them tremendously because they will now have games earlier in the day and they can become relevant again. The Big XII already has a problem with the membership with WVU. Not adding Memphis and Cincinnati a couple years ago, and not building that bridge between WVU and the rest of the conference is going to be their downfall. The last teams in the last go around, will be the first ones out this go around.
01-14-2021 05:22 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(01-14-2021 05:22 PM)Usajags Wrote:  If the P5 go to 16 or 18 teams a piece, the Big XII doesn’t reload, they go the way of the Big East, and will no longer be seen as a power player at the table.

The PAC 12 has already flirted with Texas in the past, they have room to grow to 16 and add some of those Big XII schools. That will help them tremendously because they will now have games earlier in the day and they can become relevant again. The Big XII already has a problem with the membership with WVU. Not adding Memphis and Cincinnati a couple years ago, and not building that bridge between WVU and the rest of the conference is going to be their downfall. The last teams in the last go around, will be the first ones out this go around.

It’ll be weird but yeah I can also see the Big XII dying. I guess it benefits the AAC because they might can snag an ex-P5 team or two. Kansas State and WV being the two most likely to be left behind the other 8.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 05:41 PM by Troy_Fan_15.)
01-14-2021 05:40 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-14-2021 05:40 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 05:22 PM)Usajags Wrote:  If the P5 go to 16 or 18 teams a piece, the Big XII doesn’t reload, they go the way of the Big East, and will no longer be seen as a power player at the table.

It’ll be weird but yeah I can also see the Big XII dying. I guess it benefits the AAC because they might can snag an ex-P5 team or two. Kansas State and WV being the two most likely to be left behind the other 8.

WVU will go ACC along with ND, as they finally join a conference.
01-14-2021 05:48 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

If the power schools really wanted to take their ball, the football teams of these major schools would breakaway and start conferences like the MVFC.

48 “Blueblood” schools break their football away into 4 12 team conferences.
01-14-2021 06:01 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob

Well that’s just ignorant. Pete Thamel has been in the game for awhile.
01-14-2021 09:16 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(01-14-2021 09:16 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

Yahoo broke pretty much every story during the big 2010 realignment.
01-14-2021 09:46 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
The Biggest potential changes to the Sun Belt likely begin with the current changes happening to FCS

We know the WAC is restarting football, and approaching its mega conference idea. We know that by using divisional play, the conference is attempting to form a division of NMSU plus the Texas Southland Schools. There is reasonable since that a basketball centric division of NMSU and a bunch of Texas Schools with limited travel to the rest of the WAC would likely be enticing for UTA. Especially the idea that the WAC schools have designs on FBS Football down the road. It would not shock me to see them try and court UTA, and It would not shock me if UTA actually accepted the invite

On the other end. Central Arkansas announced today they would be playing football in the Atlantic Sun next year, and the ASun, doesn't currently sponsor football. If the ASun does what they are rumored to do, pick up Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky and a couple others, they suddenly not only have a viable football conference, they also suddenly have a decently attractive all sports lineup. UCA and Little Rock have been trying over the last year to develop a strong rivalry series between the schools. They play multiple games a year in every sport. It would not shock me if Little Rock was contacted by the ASun as well. And given that AState isn't really closely aligned with LR anymore, I don't see anything stopping the Trojans from moving

If that happens, the Sun Belt is suddenly what we've all dreamt of being, a Football only league, and suddenly the entire world of options is open to us.
01-14-2021 09:58 PM
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

(01-14-2021 09:58 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The Biggest potential changes to the Sun Belt likely begin with the current changes happening to FCS

We know the WAC is restarting football, and approaching its mega conference idea. We know that by using divisional play, the conference is attempting to form a division of NMSU plus the Texas Southland Schools. There is reasonable since that a basketball centric division of NMSU and a bunch of Texas Schools with limited travel to the rest of the WAC would likely be enticing for UTA. Especially the idea that the WAC schools have designs on FBS Football down the road. It would not shock me to see them try and court UTA, and It would not shock me if UTA actually accepted the invite

On the other end. Central Arkansas announced today they would be playing football in the Atlantic Sun next year, and the ASun, doesn't currently sponsor football. If the ASun does what they are rumored to do, pick up Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky and a couple others, they suddenly not only have a viable football conference, they also suddenly have a decently attractive all sports lineup. UCA and Little Rock have been trying over the last year to develop a strong rivalry series between the schools. They play multiple games a year in every sport. It would not shock me if Little Rock was contacted by the ASun as well. And given that AState isn't really closely aligned with LR anymore, I don't see anything stopping the Trojans from moving

If that happens, the Sun Belt is suddenly what we've all dreamt of being, a Football only league, and suddenly the entire world of options is open to us.

Odds on this actually happening?
01-14-2021 10:08 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-14-2021 10:08 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 09:58 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The Biggest potential changes to the Sun Belt likely begin with the current changes happening to FCS

Odds on this actually happening?

All that has better odds then the billion dollar powerball.
01-14-2021 10:20 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

The talk is that Boise State and SDSU are the favorites. I wonder if they want to try and convince Army, Air a force, BYU to be team 14. These all being football only additions to be assumed.

The word on the realignment board it’ll make them a Power 6 since even their bottom teams are better than everyone else’s top teams in the “G4”
01-14-2021 10:28 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-14-2021 09:46 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 09:16 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

Yahoo broke pretty much every story during the big 2010 realignment.

Oh yeah,Pete's a regular Grantland Rice. And back atcha.
01-14-2021 10:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.